Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I was just listening to the Todd Glass episode where he and James Adomian talked about coming out and had completely forgotten that Scott is actually a really good interviewer when he's not trying to comedically undercut his guest. Were there other episodes where he did a more straight interview?

the michael ian black ep is like that too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I tried a couple eps of Hollywood Handbook and I found it intolerably dull. :smith: Couldn't get through them. I guess the Hayes and Sean thing didn't click with me. Probably because I'm the kind of guy who would take a Benny Schwass or a Jon Gabrus over an Adam Scott anyday. And they seemed very Adam Scott.

Also trying to listen to Dead Authors and the ep I wanted to try the most (Benny Schwass! Because someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and made it sound funny.) is an m4a file that won't play on any devices but my PC. Curses!

Andy Daly has come highly recommended, so that's next.

The Action Man posted:

The episode with Tears for Fears should have been #1, so I'd relisten to that.
That is a good episooode.
(Man, I wish there was a way to replicate the Pie Minister's growl in text form.)

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

VagueRant posted:

I tried a couple eps of Hollywood Handbook and I found it intolerably dull. :smith: Couldn't get through them. I guess the Hayes and Sean thing didn't click with me. Probably because I'm the kind of guy who would take a Benny Schwass or a Jon Gabrus over an Adam Scott anyday. And they seemed very Adam Scott.

Also trying to listen to Dead Authors and the ep I wanted to try the most (Benny Schwass! Because someone mentioned it earlier in the thread and made it sound funny.) is an m4a file that won't play on any devices but my PC. Curses!

Andy Daly has come highly recommended, so that's next.
That is a good episooode.
(Man, I wish there was a way to replicate the Pie Minister's growl in text form.)

Ive read like 1000 posts recommending Hollywood handbook and still never listened to it, but your post saying it didnt click with you is whats finally going to get me to try it. Thank you

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
The Sinbad episode of Hollywood Handbook is the finest piece of recorded media in the history of mankind.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

The Sinbad episode of Hollywood Handbook is the finest piece of recorded media in the history of mankind.
I was blown away when Sinbad's daughter got on mic and ended up being one of the best HH guests ever.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Sean Clements is on the latest episode of Box Angeles, a show about how showbiz people moved to Los Angeles AKA the Big Apple. I haven't listened yet, but if I recall correctly from the LA Weekly blurb about HH, Sean used to be a message therapist for the circus.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Scott has a pretty straightforward, interesting interview with Nick Offerman. It was a pretty refreshing change of pace at the time, and I really enjoyed it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
PFT's YouTube series Speakeasy is quite good if you're looking for interviews with funny people.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
I used a program to make a supercut of every time someone said "the" on the PFT/Weird Al/Joe Wengert episode:

https://soundcloud.com/evanplus/comedy-bang-bang-the-supercut/

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In which episode was the term "Grepisode" coined?

e: or was that UTU2TM?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Mar 7, 2015

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I thought it was in the Best Ofs.

manyak posted:

Ive read like 1000 posts recommending Hollywood handbook and still never listened to it, but your post saying it didnt click with you is whats finally going to get me to try it. Thank you
You're...welcome?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Sean Clements is on the latest episode of Box Angeles, a show about how showbiz people moved to Los Angeles AKA the Big Apple. I haven't listened yet, but if I recall correctly from the LA Weekly blurb about HH, Sean used to be a message therapist for the circus.

Sean's a lot more nasal when he doesn't feel the need to bring a lot of energy to the show.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

anotherone posted:

I used a program to make a supercut of every time someone said "the" on the PFT/Weird Al/Joe Wengert episode:

https://soundcloud.com/evanplus/comedy-bang-bang-the-supercut/

The lesson I'm taking from this is that asking users to transcribe an episode of Comedy Bang Bang would be effective form of spam control.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Followed the advice to listen to Dead Authors and the Anne Frank and Plato episodes are completely brilliant.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
Brothers Grimm, listen to the Brothers Grimm episode immediately, especially if you like SuperEgo.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've always been partial to the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and the Edgar Rice Buroughs episodes. Who doesn't love an angry brit yelling "WHERE IS MY loving MONEY!?"

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Periodiko posted:

Brothers Grimm, listen to the Brothers Grimm episode immediately, especially if you like SuperEgo.

All the Matt gourley ones are great

Edit:The lovecraft/neitchie episode is great too

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 8, 2015

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

VagueRant posted:

You're...welcome?

its because you have really lovely taste. I bet you don't like Superego.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
HH isn't that good.

Speak on that.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Eh! Wrong.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Omnishambles posted:

HH isn't that good.

Speak on that.

As long as they run the same jokes into the ground every week, you're right.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Beeez posted:

As long as they run the same jokes into the ground every week, you're right.

Omnishambles posted:

HH isn't that good.

Speak on that.
That's a fair point. But on the other hand, it is very smart and very funny and great.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

cams posted:

That's a fair point. But on the other hand, it is very smart and very funny and great.

And nice

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

and isn't that interesting

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Officially sold on Dead Authors. Love me some PFT, love me some Scwass and Zouks and the like. And my enjoyment is unaffected by me being an illiterate philistine!

Though as a Brit, HG Wells' accent is a little distracting. It's odd because my ears have no issues with Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber. (Even if he is just Stewie Griffin)

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

VagueRant posted:

Officially sold on Dead Authors. Love me some PFT, love me some Scwass and Zouks and the like. And my enjoyment is unaffected by me being an illiterate philistine!

Though as a Brit, HG Wells' accent is a little distracting. It's odd because my ears have no issues with Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber. (Even if he is just Stewie Griffin)

On a scale of 1 to Keanu how bad is it? Just out of curiosity.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

I'm British too and I think the issue is that unlike Andrew Lloyd Webber which is over the top the Wells accent is really good but occasionally off. It's a bit uncanny valley. I kind of wonder if it's a bit like Americans hearing Damien Lewis speaking American or something.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Hollywood Handbook is really good

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I'm British too and I think the issue is that unlike Andrew Lloyd Webber which is over the top the Wells accent is really good but occasionally off. It's a bit uncanny valley. I kind of wonder if it's a bit like Americans hearing Damien Lewis speaking American or something.

Yeah, basically that. PFT frequently nails the use of the vernacular (like pronouncing schedule correctly and using words like fortnight) but it's still pretty much PFT talking. It's more like an upper class American accent than an actual English one. It's not a huge problem though, as long as you already like PFT.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, I'm not British but I can tell his HG Wells is barely a British accent at all, just vaguely upper class sounding.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Uncanny valley is definitely the word for it. I think it's more that he tries to make it slightly working class every now and then (almost northern), while being a posh southerner the rest of the time.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Followed the advice to listen to Dead Authors and the Anne Frank and Plato episodes are completely brilliant.
Pro loving recc.

[on arguing with her mother]"I would normally run upstairs and lock the door, but we had all done that already."
[to HG Wells]"Is that what people said when you wrote about your squid?"
"The Ralph penis."

Has this Jamie Denbo been on CBB before? She is GOOD.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jamie Denbo does Ronna and Beverly and she's really funny

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

VagueRant posted:

Uncanny valley is definitely the word for it. I think it's more that he tries to make it slightly working class every now and then (almost northern), while being a posh southerner the rest of the time.

Yes exactly! I keep trying to place it but it never quite fits anywhere. Ironically enough this is an issue people have with my own accent so ho hum.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Thoogsby posted:

"Eight sides, eight chakras, eight ways of life."

It still blows my mind how Sinbad and Dave Thomas, of all people, were the guests who best got the show. No questions, no poking holes in the premise, completely committed from the start.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

It still blows my mind how Sinbad and Dave Thomas, of all people, were the guests who best got the show. No questions, no poking holes in the premise, completely committed from the start.

I still can't believe Hayes went all 70s Tape on him even after he promised not to.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Andy Daly, Paul F. Tompkins, Lauren Lapkus, and the dude who donated a lot of money to Kulap's documentary!

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Hey, this rich guy is pretty funny. And has good taste in guests.

binwin711
Oct 18, 2013
Never thought I'd hear a British lawyer drop a Jay Z line

Beeez
May 28, 2012

JethroMcB posted:

Dave Thomas was great, but I seem to recall Sinbad doing some "No, actually..."-ing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think my favourite part of the Sinbad episode was when he invented electricity