Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shadow posted:

I think Phil will eventually do what he's told, especially with the veiled threat against his son and the fact they have Irina now. However, I don't think an american television show would cross that line so I'm sure something will save the day.

Maybe Kimmy will catch a stray bullet or they push Hans on her instead. At least the age difference is less creepy.

Plus Hans has that ~dreamy~ accent going for him, while Phil's cover has stringy hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
He's South African right? I feel stupid even asking.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Shadow posted:

He's South African right? I feel stupid even asking.

Yeah, that axxxennt is unmistakable, bru.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

zoux posted:

I really think sleeping with Kimmy is a line Phillip won't cross. Eventually he's going to balk at orders from the Center and I think this is it.

Eh, the Center is laying it on thick with the news of his son. I think he'll get there this season, unless they use Liz's guy to intervene.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

My political history is horrible, so color me a deeper shade of dumb for the moment. Currently, Regan is nuzzling up next to very international entities that are pro-apartheid right, or at least not on a Nelson Mandela level of "this is a bad thing"? The Russians, and in turn Hans the South African that probably wants to bang Elizabeth are anti-apartheid, and the guy Hans is chasing is a South African that wants to blow up anti-apartheid demonstrators?

Some of the plots are super confusing and imbibing in whatever while watching can make things fuzzy. Love this show, but I sometimes I feel like I need to take notes.

Also, since it was the first season I think ... Phillip and his alleged's son Mom hooked up before he shipped off for America right? Before he and Elizabeth were a thing at all?

What was her role when she showed up and revealed that to him? Does anyone remember?

e: SPECULATION

With no more confidential files loaded on to MailBot, how much longer can Martha last? Kimmy, already showing strains of the dramatic, could very well end up sleeping the long nap with a belly full of sleeping pills because Phil got what he needed and broke it off without sleeping with her. She can't live knowing that pedophil exists right?

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 6, 2015

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

hatelull posted:

My political history is horrible, so color me a deeper shade of dumb for the moment. Currently, Regan is nuzzling up next to very international entities that are pro-apartheid right, or at least not on a Nelson Mandela level of "this is a bad thing"? The Russians, and in turn Hans the South African that probably wants to bang Elizabeth are anti-apartheid, and the guy Hans is chasing is a South African that wants to blow up anti-apartheid demonstrators?

"We have to support Apartheid because if we don't a :siren:COMMUNIST:siren: government might take it's place" Was the official policy of the Reagan administration during this time and they officially labeled Mandela as a terrorist. Which was American foreign policy during the Cold War in a nutshell.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Yeah, I'm pretty sure unless it was a one time thing, any "loose ends" need to be taken care of. That Nicaraguan chick had to kill the Senator's aid for example.

It's sad, but I think once Martha's usefulness ends, she does too. But as long as she works there, Mailbot and confidential files weren't her only value.

As for Kimmy... yeah that sucks.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
It's amazing that Martha has lasted this long honestly.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

beanieson posted:

It's unfortunate that Martha has lasted this long honestly.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

It's fantastic that Martha has lasted this long honestly.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Kimmy's dad is high up in the CIA, they'd have to be very careful about killing her if they wanted to do that. I think she'd be much more useful as blackmail material tbh

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Shadow posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure unless it was a one time thing, any "loose ends" need to be taken care of. That Nicaraguan chick had to kill the Senator's aid for example.

It's sad, but I think once Martha's usefulness ends, she does too. But as long as she works there, Mailbot and confidential files weren't her only value.

As for Kimmy... yeah that sucks.

Martha is great because you just can't get rid of her.

I still can't imagine Phil sleeping with Kimmy because she's his daughter's age and there are definitely lines that Phil won't cross. He's not ideologically pure or as dedicated to the cause as Elizabeth since he was pretty much happy to defect at the beginning of the first season. I think he'll end up sabotaging the mission just to get out of it.

Elizabeth on the other hand would have gone full steam ahead, no questions asked.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe
I've been thinking Martha was going to die in each and every season and at this point I'm starting to feel she's going to be the only character that'll make it out alive.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Kegslayer posted:

Elizabeth on the other hand would have gone full steam ahead, no questions asked.

I think Elizabeth has some serious problems with them using Kimmie too. She just suppresses her doubts more than Phillip, but look at how restless she is when he's out on a mission with her.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can someone remind me what the deal with Philliqp baby momma is?

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
I think she fled to Brazil to escape and she was found, arrested, brought back to Russia and will stand trial.

Meaning her rear end is either getting killed or spending 20 years (or rest of her life) in Siberia.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shadow posted:

I think she fled to Brazil to escape and she was found, arrested, brought back to Russia and will stand trial.

Meaning her rear end is either getting killed or spending 20 years (or rest of her life) in Siberia.

Right, I remember that she met up with Phillip in season one at a travel agent conference, but why did she have to flee?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

zoux posted:

Right, I remember that she met up with Phillip in season one at a travel agent conference, but why did she have to flee?

She didn't *have* to flee, she was working with Philip to set up a Polish resistance leader by framing him for beating her to gain leverage. But she felt bad about doing that to a good guy, so she ran.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_and_Honor

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
NBC's totally not a ripoff of the Americans has been cancelled.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Awww, what a shame. :rolleyes:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Martha isn't allowed to die because Clark is too great a character

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Calling it now - they'll kill Martha and Claudia will come back to take her place. No one but the current guy who has the hots for Martha will notice because 'secretary.' Not even Gaad.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

I'm disappointed to hear this. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was something to watch. So it just comes to an abrupt halt? Will the rest of the story arc be available to read somewhere?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I was just re-watching season one and I had completely forgotten that Irina already told Phil about their son. So either Phil was acting shocked for his handler's benefit, he thought the son was a fake by Irina, or he's just shocked that the kid's in Afghanistan. I assume it's the first one.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

cenotaph posted:

I was just re-watching season one and I had completely forgotten that Irina already told Phil about their son. So either Phil was acting shocked for his handler's benefit, he thought the son was a fake by Irina, or he's just shocked that the kid's in Afghanistan. I assume it's the first one.

I don't remember Gabriel saying the kid was in Afghanistan. I remember him saying something about a motorized division in East Germany.

I assume the threat was that if Phil doesn't play ball, the kid WILL go to Afghanistan.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love Martha they're not allowed to get rid of her.

It's kind of amazing how simultaneous compelling and horrifying it is to watch Philip desperately try to not have to have sex with a 15-year-old girl. The God card was a stroke of genius.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

The robot doesn't carry classified files anymore. She's dead.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

A mighty mail robot is our God.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

She's the worst character on the show, so...

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hmm, we'd like to use Pink Floyd, but we don't want to pay for it...

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

nooneofconsequence posted:

Hmm, we'd like to use Pink Floyd, but we don't want to pay for it...

Wonder how much 21st Century Schizoid Man would have cost them.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

TCD posted:

She's the worst character on the show, so...

Yeah, and Martha isn't very interesting at this point either.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't remember Gabriel saying the kid was in Afghanistan. I remember him saying something about a motorized division in East Germany.

I assume the threat was that if Phil doesn't play ball, the kid WILL go to Afghanistan.

Hmm yeah I must have misremembered the specifics.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

a plane of fbi guys did crash in Cincinnati in December 1982 but there was no one named dave on it.

http://m.fbi.gov/#http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/history/hallhonor/lynch

also - am I misremembering or was it possible that irina was a plant to try and get Phillip to betray the motherland, and his son might not be real?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Naylenas posted:

Wonder how much 21st Century Schizoid Man would have cost them.

Pink Floyd was the perfect choice though, because most everyone could substitute their own "Favorite stoner track" for whatever Kimmy was supposed to hear on those headphones.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
Love Pink Floyd....

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

These episodes are becoming hard to watch. I dread every Phil/Kimmy scene and the game of pedo chicken that follows.

Phil's stoned laugh sort of made up for it though :gbsmith:.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

its FX. Phillip will gently caress Kimmy.

He won't like it, and it will cause huge repercussions, but his dick will cross that line.

There's a weird alternate version of the show where in the same episode Phillip murders Martha, Kimmi becomes his long-term other GIRL, but I don't think they'll go that far. Weekly tapes is a bridge too much, even for Phillip.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

philip was pumping her for information before she started taking files off the robot. she is still a source with access inside the fbi counter-intelligence office, she is incredibly valuable

ArmZ posted:

a plane of fbi guys did crash in Cincinnati in December 1982 but there was no one named dave on it.

[url]http://m.fbi.gov/#http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/history/hallhonor/lynch[/url]

also - am I misremembering or was it possible that irina was a plant to try and get Phillip to betray the motherland, and his son might not be real?

"Only duty an honour are real" - she kept it ambiguous. She was probably deserting for real, though.

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 7, 2015

• Locked thread