Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wasn't there a really good jump scare in Inland Empire as well? It's been a while since I've revisited that movie but I remember there being something with an extreme closeup of Laura Dern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Neumonic posted:

I know I'm a couple pages too late but Lake Mungo has my favorite jump scare ever.

Well its definitely the only jump scare I can think of that ties the entire plot of the movie together.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people
Lake Mungo and Inland Empire have an almost identical scare, I don't think it's fair to call it a jump scare though.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Soylent Green posted:

Lake Mungo and Inland Empire have an almost identical scare, I don't think it's fair to call it a jump scare though.

It's definitely a jump scare. Its effectiveness is in that everything in the movie preceding it is just building the atmosphere and tension for that moment. It's the long con of jump scares.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Mine too, it's my favorite jump scare of all time, even beating out the one in Mulholland Drive.

Yep. Yep. Yep.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Lake Mungo proves why the fidelity of various video sources can make effective mood. Not just referring to the cellphone video but virtually all the images of Alice, even alive, are degraded and unreal.

schwenz
Jun 20, 2003

Awful is only a word. The reality is much, much worse.
Who in their right mind would think that an American version of Martyrs is even possible?

apparently it's in the can already.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Lake Mungo proves why the fidelity of various video sources can make effective mood. Not just referring to the cellphone video but virtually all the images of Alice, even alive, are degraded and unreal.

The VHS quality of the daytime shots around the lake with the sightings of "Alice" are delightfully creepy.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
What jump scares are people referring to in Inland Empire and Mulholland Drive? I just watched the former this week, but don't remember any jump scares.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What jump scares are people referring to in Inland Empire and Mulholland Drive? I just watched the former this week, but don't remember any jump scares.

The dumpster scene in Mullholland Drive.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I got freaked right out by the hypnotist's face replaced when he dies in Inland Empire but I wouldn't call it a jump scare.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

C2C - 2.0 posted:

The dumpster scene in Mullholland Drive.

this is my favorite jump scare in any movie. lynch makes movies more terrifying than any horror ive ever seen

did a found footage triple feature the other night because why not and watched atrocious, dyatalov pass and paranormal entity.
atrocious was not the best paced but the payoff/twist was good and some creepy footage/well done shots, the actors were pretty believable for this sort of thing too. devils pass was actually really good and had some cool themes in it. it definitely jumped the shark with all the crazy poo poo but i love when movies do that. i thought main girl and friend with a huge crush on her going through the portal and ending up weird mutant monsters "together forever" was a cute/sweet ending and liked the monster design. i don't have a single positive thing to say about paranormal entity besides that it ended. they build up the whole movie to a paranormal investigator coming and then he has 2 minutes of screen time, the climactic murder is done off screen (with some plotholes thrown in because why not) and we see girl floating in the hair for 15 seconds, fin. that spoils the whole ending but you should be spoiled of it because maybe then you wont waste time watching it. i know its the asylum but that acting was next level bad

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

It's definitely a jump scare. Its effectiveness is in that everything in the movie preceding it is just building the atmosphere and tension for that moment. It's the long con of jump scares.

By that rational every 'scare' is a jump scare surely? The big moment in Lake Mungo has Alice's vision move reasonably slowly towards the frame. It's scary and disturbing sure but it's intention is never to achieve that by making you jump. Hell I'd say it's the opposite. It's a pretty similar trick to the TV scene in The Ring. The fear is through slow realization rather than sudden shock.

The Japanese version of The Ring does have a wonderful jump scare right after that though, with the ghost reflected in the TV pointing at the tape.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Soylent Green posted:

By that rational every 'scare' is a jump scare surely? The big moment in Lake Mungo has Alice's vision move reasonably slowly towards the frame. It's scary and disturbing sure but it's intention is never to achieve that by making you jump. Hell I'd say it's the opposite. It's a pretty similar trick to the TV scene in The Ring. The fear is through slow realization rather than sudden shock.

The Japanese version of The Ring does have a wonderful jump scare right after that though, with the ghost reflected in the TV pointing at the tape.

It moves out of the darkness at you, along with some kind of strings/scream in the audio. If you didn't jump at that scare your huevos are way bigger than mine.

It reminds me of the lawnmower tape from Sinister, but with a lot more meaning.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

lol. I just rewatched it and I totally misremembered that scene. You're right. In my head that scene happened a lot differently.

I also completely forgot that footage was spliced with her interview footage. The combination of what she's talking about along with the image is just amazingly well done. It still made me jump tho.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Watching Pumpkinhead right now and Joel might be in my top 5 biggest pieces of poo poo movie list.

Also, there needs to be more movies involving the magic and folklore of mountain folk.

What'd you think of Pumpkinhead?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It does scream and lunge at her at the end, but the beauty of it is that you can figure out what's going on at your own pace.

For me, the grainy video at the very end that shows her walking around. There's something about seeing her moving and distorted beyond all recognition as a human form with the frame shaking around from how zoomed in it is.

Lake Mungo is perfection.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

What'd you think of Pumpkinhead?

I'd seen it a couple times when I was a kid but it had been at least 15 years. I love it even more now after rewatching it, it's just a perfect little horror film. I mean, it doesn't miss a loving beat once Pumpkinhead is summoned, and that creature design is all types of amazing for what I imagine was a fairly low budget. But you can tell they really loved that monster.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Soylent Green posted:

That single, simple shot haunts me to this day.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ringu does that thing with video fidelity I'm talking about really well, as does Kairo.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I'd seen it a couple times when I was a kid but it had been at least 15 years. I love it even more now after rewatching it, it's just a perfect little horror film. I mean, it doesn't miss a loving beat once Pumpkinhead is summoned, and that creature design is all types of amazing for what I imagine was a fairly low budget. But you can tell they really loved that monster.

Stan Winston directed it, so of course he loves the creature effects. I love all the lights, the leaves, and the cricket sounds. Pumpkinhead rules. It's a simple film, but it's so brutal in execution. Between it and Return of the Living Dead, I'm starting to wonder if working on Alien gave everyone magic good-movie powers.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I love all the lights, the leaves, and the cricket sounds.

yeeeeesssss

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Crackerman posted:

Same. I'm much more of a Ring fan than Ringu, probably because I saw Ring first and it is still one of my all-time favorites, but that shot was fantastic.

I also rewatched Lake Mungo recently. Still love it. It's just so unsettling, and there was a knot in my stomach the entire time leading up to *that* scene.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Much like the big scare in Lake Mungo, that shot in Ringu is done with so little fan fair that it hits you just right - you know something’s wrong but you can’t figure out what and then, just as you get it, it cuts away. It’s a horrible “oh poo poo wait!” feeling that makes you really ill at ease. No big musical sting, no BOO!, just a little hint and then off to the next shot.

That’s why I loved Noroi so loving much - it’s absolutely loaded with those scenes.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?
I wrote about Noroi, Ringu, and Ju-On (and maybe a couple others?) and various myths and artworks they were based off of for a Japanese art history course I took in college. Got an A. Thanks, Japanese horror!

The Grudge/Ju-On is loosely inspired by Yotsuya Kaidan, Ringu is loosely inspired by Banchō Sarayashiki, and Noroi was inspired by various ghost stories/old Shinto practices IIRC.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Noroi comes up in this thread over and over and with good reason.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

More movies need to do play with the environment like Pumpkinhead does. I love how Southern it is.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

More movies need to do play with the environment like Pumpkinhead does. I love how Southern it is.

I seem to remember Rare Exports doing this well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crackerman posted:

I first saw Ringu on VHS. As soon as the film was over, the phone rang.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
KAIRO is wondeful, and has the same sense of dread that something like Lake Mungo has. It dances around that idea of sort of making sense and doesn't really try and explain too much. It just put me on edge the whole time. I don't know how it is now, but for a time J-Horror was really turning out some great stuff.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Wyrmwood's pretty charming. It's an ozploitation throwback on purpose, but not in the least bit cynical. It's entirely a mash up of things they think are cool and fun, and that's basically just Mad Max and zombie movies.

IMDB says there's a sequel in the works, but both Roache-Turner brothers said that it's not a plan at the moment, and their next project would ideally be the same kind of tone and content for a TV series.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DrVenkman posted:

KAIRO is wondeful, and has the same sense of dread that something like Lake Mungo has. It dances around that idea of sort of making sense and doesn't really try and explain too much. It just put me on edge the whole time. I don't know how it is now, but for a time J-Horror was really turning out some great stuff.

It's best when it's extremely mundane.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

Basebf555 posted:

I'm obviously nit-picking, because Alien may be my favorite movie of all-time bar none, but I always felt the ventilation shaft scare could have been better. Its great as it is, the tension that's built up there is insane, but the way the alien looks and moves in that scene just didn't quite work for me 100%. The way he opens his arms up kind of like a hug, and how his fingers are flopping around looking all rubbery. I think its a case of showing a little too much of the alien from the wrong angle. Still a great scare the first time you see it though.

Totally agree, the camera lingers too long. They could've kept the shot length if the alien just kept lunging forward instead of stopping to give jazz hands.

On the other hand, I love a shot that most people seem to hate, which is where it weirdly seems to float when approaching Lambert. I like it just because it's weird.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Just watched Noroi for the first time thanks to this thread. Really good.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That scene has always bugged me too, because it's like the alien is going "RARRR!" instead of being creepy and mysterious and a terrifying force of nature. Up to that point I don't think we ever see it even use its hands, and the motion is a little too human for me. It's stalking around with hunched up T-Rex arms, so why does it suddenly have to reach out and spread its arms like a human when it has all these other insect-like weapons at its disposal?

One of the scariest things about it is that we have no idea what it actually does with a person immediately after taking them, which is why the director's cut egg scene is so effective. What process could it possibly go through to turn someone into that?

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

That scene has always bugged me too, because it's like the alien is going "RARRR!" instead of being creepy and mysterious and a terrifying force of nature. Up to that point I don't think we ever see it even use its hands, and the motion is a little too human for me. It's stalking around with hunched up T-Rex arms, so why does it suddenly have to reach out and spread its arms like a human when it has all these other insect-like weapons at its disposal?

One of the scariest things about it is that we have no idea what it actually does with a person immediately after taking them, which is why the director's cut egg scene is so effective. What process could it possibly go through to turn someone into that?

It's creepy precisely because it's so humanlike but still alien. People in this thread have compared it to like a newborn reaching out to a mother. That adds a whole 'nother level of unease to that scene for me.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

NarkyBark posted:

Totally agree, the camera lingers too long. They could've kept the shot length if the alien just kept lunging forward instead of stopping to give jazz hands.

I brought this up awhile back, but I love the jazz hands because it reminds me of how a baby asks to be picked up. Which is really disturbing to me.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

I brought this up awhile back, but I love the jazz hands because it reminds me of how a baby asks to be picked up. Which is really disturbing to me.

I want to say Scott himself has said this is what it was supposed to be evocative of before. But I might be misremembering.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Just watched Noroi for the first time thanks to this thread. Really good.

Now watch Occult!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Now watch Occult!

Starting it right now