Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

Gnumonic posted:

There's a petition to expel the UCSC students who took part in the protest, and the administration is probably going to acquiesce. I kind of have a stake in this -- I taught critical theory to one of the students arrested in the highway closure protest -- but it seems excessive to dole out more punishment on top of a possible felony conviction. (I've never quite understood why schools feel the need to police off-campus student conduct but I'd wager the administration will expel them to save face).

Given the push to make campuses safer by expelling students with only the preponderance of evidence standard, it seems like a no brainer to expel students who commit legitimate felonies while attending school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Gnumonic posted:

There's a petition to expel the UCSC students who took part in the protest, and the administration is probably going to acquiesce. I kind of have a stake in this -- I taught critical theory to one of the students arrested in the highway closure protest -- but it seems excessive to dole out more punishment on top of a possible felony conviction. (I've never quite understood why schools feel the need to police off-campus student conduct but I'd wager the administration will expel them to save face).

Oh for fucks sake. I agree that the protest poorly executed and they could have made better choices, but you probably shouldn't go to UCSC if you don't protest a little.
poo poo, my mother probably did worse than that at UCSC, UCD, and UCB, and she got tenure. Ronald Reagan tried to fire my grandfather (who up until that point had been a Republican) over protests in the late 60s and failed because back then the UC system had stones.
Civil disobedience is a bedrock of UCSC especially.

CPColin posted:

Meanwhile, the CSU system cruises along doing ????
No, it is even more broken. We focus on the UC because it is probably salvageable.

on the left posted:

Given the push to make campuses safer by expelling students with only the preponderance of evidence standard, it seems like a no brainer to expel students who commit legitimate felonies while attending school.
Why, if they don't impact campus safety? There's a big difference between violent crimes and civil disobedience. It is also unlikely they'll actually end up with felony convictions.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 6, 2015

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

While the grave itself is out in the open-ish, there's tons of security and poo poo around.

Wow, really? That's very strange. Where I come from, all country leaders get buried in the same cemetery after they die and there's maybe like one honor guard that is stationed there.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

Wow, really? That's very strange. Where I come from, all country leaders get buried in the same cemetery after they die and there's maybe like one honor guard that is stationed there.

For some reason they think people might do silly things like arrive en masse to pee on the grave.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

enraged_camel posted:

Wow, really? That's very strange.
I had to go to the Reagan museum because the Treasures of Lincoln or whatever the gently caress was touring there (artifacts from the Great Emancipator's life, personal affects, etc). The burial plot overlooks a great view to have a beer by.

I wanted to do a jig on the fucker's grave. But if you look carefully you can spot more than a few CCTV cameras. Its also a stone's throw from administrative offices and the mess hall. So while there may not be beefy Matrix looking agents constantly on vigil, its very unlikely that one could get past the barrier and get away Scot free.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Given his God Emperor status, pissing on a styrofoam Reagan grave in a number of simultaneous locations would probably ruffle a few feathers. Accomplishing as little as any other protest, but it would probably comfort a few folks.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CPColin posted:

Meanwhile, the CSU system cruises along doing ????

Doing just as bad if not worse than the UC system, with all the same problems. The previous Chancellor was also your typical fat cat and let the system burn down around him so long as he could keep hiking his salary.

Granted, the CSU's arguably have even more rugs to pull out from other students. The most egregious to take place at my old uni was the revocation of guaranteed admission for local students who met the minimum CSU entry requirements. Why did they take away this fundamental pillar of how the system operates? So that the same year, they can readjust their acceptance criteria to take in more out of state students for that sweet increased tuition cash. All at the expense of local, California students. Truly this is what the CSU system was set up for. :shepface:

The CSU's are hosed and any bitching about the UC's can be applied to the CSU's.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
If you cant trust the oil industry... its a normal day.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-pits-oil-wastewater-20150226-story.html

quote:

Hundreds of illicit oil wastewater pits found in Kern County

Water officials in Kern County discovered that oil producers have been dumping chemical-laden wastewater into hundreds of unlined pits that are operating without proper permits.

Inspections completed this week by the Central Valley Regional Water Quality Control Board revealed the existence of more than 300 previously unidentified waste sites. The water board’s review found that more than one-third of the region’s active disposal pits are operating without permission.

The pits raise new water quality concerns in a region where agricultural fields sit side by side with oil fields and where California’s ongoing drought has made protecting groundwater supplies paramount.

State regulators face federal scrutiny for what critics say has been decades of lax oversight of the oil and gas industry and fracking operations in particular. The Division of Oil, Gas and Geothermal Resources has admitted that for years it allowed companies to inject fracking wastewater into protected groundwater aquifers, a problem they attributed to a history of chaotic record-keeping.

“The state doesn’t seem to be willing to put the protection of groundwater and water quality ahead of the oil industry being able to do business as usual,” said Andrew Grinberg of the group Clean Water Action.

The pits — long, shallow troughs gouged out of dirt — hold water that is produced from fracking and other oil drilling operations. The water forced out of the ground during oil operations is heavily saline and often contains benzene and other naturally occurring but toxic compounds.

Regional water officials said they believe that none of the pits in the county have linings that would prevent chemicals from seeping into groundwater beneath them. Some of the pits also lack netting or covers to protect migrating birds or other wildlife.

Currently, linings for pits are not required, though officials said they will consider requiring them in the future. Covers are mandated in some instances.

The pits are a common site on the west side of Bakersfield’s oil patch. In some cases, waste facilities contain 40 or more pits, arranged in neat rows. Kern County accounts for at least 80% of California’s oil production.

The facilities are close to county roads but partially hidden behind earthen berms. At one pit this week, waves of heat rose from newly dumped water, and an acrid, petroleum smell hung in the air.

Rodgers said Thursday that the agency’s review found 933 pits, or sumps, in Kern County. Of those, 578 are active and 355 are not currently used.

Of the active pits, 370 have permits to operate and 208 do not.

I mean at least its in a state that doesnt have water concerns.

quote:

In pits located near clean water sources, Rodgers said, operators will be required to install monitor wells to test water quality.

Oh hey! 2015 and they will now be required to pretend to do this thing.

When do the crazies (or cops) start gunning down oil people instead of random citizens?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

I had to go to the Reagan museum because the Treasures of Lincoln or whatever the gently caress was touring there (artifacts from the Great Emancipator's life, personal affects, etc). The burial plot overlooks a great view to have a beer by.

I wanted to do a jig on the fucker's grave. But if you look carefully you can spot more than a few CCTV cameras. Its also a stone's throw from administrative offices and the mess hall. So while there may not be beefy Matrix looking agents constantly on vigil, its very unlikely that one could get past the barrier and get away Scot free.

That's because there was a guy who did it just a few weeks after it opened.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ron Jeremy posted:

poo poo, drink enough to have a decent stream and you don't even need to jump the fence.
Behold, the greatest living American:

He visited the Nixon library and gravesite, too:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Family Values posted:

As one of those tax payers, I think this is unfair. The voters have approved the past several education spending propositions that were put before them (I know prop 30 didn't go toward UC but just generally speaking here).

When you see things like this:

it's hard not to think that the system is not being a good steward of the resources it currently has. Do we really need a 1:1 ratio of admin to faculty?

Here are the current numbers: http://legacy-its.ucop.edu/uwnews/stat/

For example at Berkeley in October 2014 there were 5,649 academic full-time equivalents and 8,226 non-academic. What the gently caress?

This is also true for private universities. I used to be a technical consultant for a software company here in SoCal, and one of my coworkers got poached by a well-known private university. They gave him a director-level position and doubled his already-decent salary.

He told me his fancy new job title and I said, "wow, sounds like a lot of responsibility." He laughed and said it's actually mostly BS, and that the job is ridiculously easy and he doesn't do much.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

nm posted:

Why, if they don't impact campus safety? There's a big difference between violent crimes and civil disobedience. It is also unlikely they'll actually end up with felony convictions.

I think the comment was more a jab at the "preponderance of evidence" standards that are getting pushed on campuses right now than a legitimate call for these students' expulsion.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Thought this was amusing.

quote:

“freedom of speech, in a space that aims to be as inclusive as possible can be interpreted as hate speech.”

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/03/06/uc-irvine-students-vote-to-remove-american-flag-from-campus-lobby/

I'm glad to see that UCLA's USAC isn't the only incompetent student government around.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Symetrique posted:

Thought this was amusing.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/03/06/uc-irvine-students-vote-to-remove-american-flag-from-campus-lobby/

I'm glad to see that UCLA's USAC isn't the only incompetent student government around.

Irvine is going berserk over this right now. P dumb to even let it on the floor imho

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Yeah, its starting to pop up on my FB feed. This is probably gonna get a lot more attention than USAC's gently caress up last month.

quote:

“Given that you are a Jewish student and very active in the Jewish community... how do you see yourself being able to maintain an unbiased view?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/06/us/debate-on-a-jewish-student-at-ucla.html?ref=us

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Also someone in one of my UCI facebook groups released the Google Drive spreadsheet with the roll call and the 6 people who voted to remove the flag.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Gnumonic posted:

The sentiment around campus, at least among the professors/grad students I interact with on a regular basis, is that the protesters shot themselves in the foot by lumping police brutality and prison reform in with tuition hikes. I got an e-mail from one of the organizers that justified fairly well why the issues are linked (I could post it if anyone's that interested), but the optics of a bunch of students chained to the highway chanting "gently caress the police!" seems to have even the (mostly) protest-friendly community in Santa Cruz confused about what it is the students were protesting in the first place. That's kind of a shame, since I think if the protesters stuck to the tuition hikes they could have had a clear and effective message -- I'd think that the glut of money flowing into administrative position at the expense of actual teaching/research goals for the university would be more effective than some apparently general outrage at all social ills. (To be clear: I don't think police brutality or prison reform are issues that should be ignored, only that the lack of a clear message in this case seemed to undermine the effectiveness of the protests.)

I'm trying to argue with some of my friends on facebook from when I went there about it, and they'd probably support hanging the protesters if they could.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FMguru posted:

Behold, the greatest living American:

He visited the Nixon library and gravesite, too:

This was not me (i wish) but I did a one day double tour of Reagan-Nixon libraries a few years ago and it was great!

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Bip Roberts posted:

This was not me (i wish) but I did a one day double tour of Reagan-Nixon libraries a few years ago and it was great!

I definitely would not like to make the drive between the two on any single day.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

I definitely would not like to make the drive between the two on any single day.

Yeah, Pasadena -> TO -> Yorba Linda -> Pasadena is about 3 hours driving (without traffic) mostly on 5. I think we did it on a Sunday and the traffic wasn't horrible.

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Also someone in one of my UCI facebook groups released the Google Drive spreadsheet with the roll call and the 6 people who voted to remove the flag.

All 6 of them should be hit with a sock full of oranges for the horrendous Tea Party bullshit they're going to subject this university to for the next month. Assholes.

The rest of ASUCI, led by the president, is already backpedaling away from this mess as fast as possible.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

SporkOfTruth posted:

All 6 of them should be hit with a sock full of oranges for the horrendous Tea Party bullshit they're going to subject this university to for the next month. Assholes.

The rest of ASUCI, led by the president, is already backpedaling away from this mess as fast as possible.

At least spring break's in two weeks. Small condolences...

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

SporkOfTruth posted:

Well, this will probably follow the six who voted for it for the rest of their lives. I can see the guy who drafted this bill including "student government" on his resume, only for a quick google search to point out that he tried to ban the US flag.

:911:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Since UCs seem to get all the attention, let's see what's going on with CSUs:

http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_27634125/csu-profs-stagnant-pay-pushing-us-out-middle

quote:

After a decade of stagnant wages, professors in the California State University system have lost more purchasing power than other public college faculty in the state and nationwide -- a trend that is pushing them out of the middle class, according to a report released Tuesday by the California Faculty Association.

"The CSU stands out," said Lillian Taiz, a history professor and president of the California Faculty Association, which produced the paper as the first in a series of reports about the system. "No other segment of education in our state or at comparable public universities in the nation allowed faculty to lose ground in the way CSU faculty has."

After adjusting for inflation, the average faculty pay on each of the 23 campuses slid between 2004 and 2013, according to the report. At San Jose State, it dropped $11,570; for CSU East Bay professors, it fell by $12,500.

By comparison, inflation-adjusted salaries for University of California professors grew over that 10-year period, on every campus -- at UC Berkeley, by $4,611 and at UCLA, by $8,402, the report found.

The average salary for CSU faculty -- including the many who work on part-time contracts -- is $45,000 per year, according to the report. Even if all professors were working on full-time contracts, according to the analysis, the average CSU professor would be making just $63,000.

Advertisement

Average pay for professors at nearly 600 other public, 4-year colleges nationwide also grew after adjusting for inflation, according to the analysis.

A spokeswoman for California State University said the administration was still analyzing the report, but she noted that the figures did not include faculty raises taking effect this academic year.

"It's not accurate to say the CSU has not invested in its employee groups because it has," said Laurie Weidner, the system's spokeswoman. "We're rebuilding a system that lost $1 billion of its operating budget."

A three-year contract ratified in November gave all CSU faculty a 1.6 percent pay increase and an additional 3 percent to certain faculty members -- about 9,000 employees, according to Weidner. The union and administration will soon resume pay negotiations for the second and third years of the contract, Taiz said.

And here's a paper from the CA Faculty Association:

http://www.calfac.org/race-to-the-bottom

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Since UCs seem to get all the attention, let's see what's going on with CSUs:

http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_27634125/csu-profs-stagnant-pay-pushing-us-out-middle

And here's a paper from the CA Faculty Association:

http://www.calfac.org/race-to-the-bottom

That is great. You have a Masters or two, probably a Phd. Here is 45K, don't spend it all in one place.
Edit: These professors are probably teaching classes that have 5 times as many students in them as they can handle, too. A lot of classes don't work with 20 people, because it doesn't allow for any real back and forth in the class. Much less, the Professor can't give out real assignments, because he or she doesn't have time to grade them all.
How many of these people are stuck with hundreds of students every semester while getting paid absolute poo poo?

Pohl fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Mar 7, 2015

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Symetrique posted:

Yeah, its starting to pop up on my FB feed. This is probably gonna get a lot more attention than USAC's gently caress up last month.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/06/us/debate-on-a-jewish-student-at-ucla.html?ref=us

Jesus christ, the student focused on in the article was one of my classmates in highschool. Wow. I'm actually a bit uneasy that stuff like this is happening.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

kurona_bright posted:

Jesus christ, the student focused on in the article was one of my classmates in highschool. Wow. I'm actually a bit uneasy that stuff like this is happening.

They are young and they have no tact or understanding of how things actually work. This is what Conservatives point to as a Liberal college, but the students are wrangling with issues far bigger than themselves. Give them a few years and they will have some nuance and be able to articulate themselves, right now they just come across as anti-Semitic assholes. Yes it is stupid and incomprehensible, but these students are going to grow, learn and hopefully feel some loving guilt for this. Dumb college board decisions are not a statement on society, and people that try and compare college to any other walk of life should be shot.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

I knew one of the people on the judiciary board, actually.

I recently graduated, and from most of the people I knew, USAC was considered to be a bit of a joke. In 2014 one of the more popular candidates, who was running as a joke, was promising to reduce traffic on the 405. Divestment caused a lot of toxicity on campus, despite the fact that the Regents already said its not going to happen. I understand the need for students to protest and express themselves, but its ridiculous that student government is more concerned with foreign policy instead of issues immediately facing students.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's legit terrifying to me to watch global warming slowly cook Riverside and the Inland Empire alive. It's predicted to be over 80 degrees here for the next 7 days, peaking at 90 degrees on Saturday. In March. Where, historically, only 1 day in 10 is over 80 degrees. Jesus Christ.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's legit terrifying to me to watch global warming slowly cook Riverside and the Inland Empire alive. It's predicted to be over 80 degrees here for the next 7 days, peaking at 90 degrees on Saturday. In March. Where, historically, only 1 day in 10 is over 80 degrees. Jesus Christ.

It's forecast to be like four straight days of 90 degrees here in Irvine.

I remember back last May, it hit like, 98 and then 105 and then 101 in three days, when previously the May high was 90 degrees.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Natural cycles!!!!!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

San Francisco barely has fog anymore. It's been 70s and sunny every day for like a year and a half.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I lolled at the stories of 49ers fans leaving the stadium early since they couldn't handle South Bay's blistering temps.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

etalian posted:

I lolled at the stories of 49ers fans leaving the stadium early since they couldn't handle South Bay's blistering temps.

Which was probably still cooler than what I experience in Texas.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

in my experience, people in SF complain about how 'cold' it is, whenever it gets below 70.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

computer parts posted:

Which was probably still cooler than what I experience in Texas.

Well the south bay is only "horrible" while Texas is actually horrible.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

It's still noticeably warmer in the South Bay than in San Fran. The Tri Valley is probably the hottest before you actually cross into the Central Valley, though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

Well the south bay is only "horrible" while Texas is actually horrible.

I'll take a dry 110F in Texas to a humid 90F in South Bay any day.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I'm going to choose any option that keeps me out of Texas, tyvm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It's still noticeably warmer in the South Bay than in San Fran. The Tri Valley is probably the hottest before you actually cross into the Central Valley, though.

Typically yes, although the winds are sometimes different and so the South Bay will be just as hot as the Tri-Valley (especially if I'm living in the south bay with no A/C). The Tri-Valley doesn't get anywhere near as much smog though, as it's sort of a pcket. I used to drive from the Central Valley to work in the South Bay (without A/C), and it'd be 105-110 at home, driving past Tracy it's 115, and it'd drop ~10 degrees once I went over the Altamont to the Tri-Valley, another ~10 degrees once I crossed the Sunol grade, drop another 5-10 across 237 and then finally it'd be ~75 at work in Mountain View. The other big difference is how quickly, if at all, the temperature drops at night. The Central Valley basically sucks in July.

In related crazy weather on the Pacific Coast news, there's pictures of the Iditarod with no snow except for a couple feet wide section that must've been trucked in. I think Alaska has been getting even more ridiculous highs than we have, not that it's much comfort, and was similar last year. I think it was something about the NE Pacific being abnormally warm which is skewing the Jet Stream a whole bunch, leading to the jet stream dipping back down causing the cold air to get pulled in to the Northeast.