Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

Actually that half blew up.

Unless they have the other half somewhere else? :shrug:

Knowing S.H.I.E.L.D., they probably do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It took me way too long to get the new thread title :doh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sereri posted:

It took me way too long to get the new thread title :doh:

Obviously the group currently does not have the power of love.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

twistedmentat posted:

And she is no doubt aware of the Abomination, Extremis and other super powered bad guy stuff that was just barely contained.

Considering Extremis was part of the Centipede serum, yeah, I'd say she's pretty aware of it.

XboxPants posted:

Also the people that created the Inhumans made her dear boss Coulson crazy and almost killed him.

Why does everyone keep forgetting the OTHER person that GH drove fucknuggets?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Melchior posted:

That being said, I was super disappointed with how low budget the alien city scenes were. Oh well.

Yeah, I'm pretty much totally over super advanced civilizations which create wonders capable of warping the very fabric of existence using only the medium of heavily weathered sandstone.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty much totally over super advanced civilizations which create wonders capable of warping the very fabric of existence using only the medium of heavily weathered sandstone.

Everyone has a budget, dude, even super advanced civilizations!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Most advanced technology on Earth = Half a dozen poo brown columns and some dirt.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Gorilla Salad posted:

Most advanced technology on Earth = Half a dozen poo brown columns and some dirt.

A society so advanced they discovered gene splicing before sanitation. They never needed to clean up their own poo poo because they could just mist a resistance to dysentery into everybody.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Technically they were just in the foyer of the place.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Irish Joe posted:

A society so advanced they discovered gene splicing before sanitation.

Sounds like an average game of Civ.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Gorilla Salad posted:

In their defense, the Kree made inhumans a looooong time ago. What looks like ancient poo brown primitive culture to us may actually be ancient poo brown primitive culture to the inhumans as well. Like, maybe Black Bolt has a spa somewhere where you can get massage, a week long retreat, and a little terrigenesis to firm up the ol' genetics.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Its still a tv budget and they were only going to be there for two episodes ever so it makes sense that they didn't go all out.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Mymla posted:

Sounds like an average game of Civ.
Or the alien civ in Phantasmagoria 2 A Puzzle of the Flesh

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hahaha, I read about the episode after the next one and one of the characters is "David A. Angar". I hope he still looks like this:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, it's almost like the Kree might have taken all their advanced tech with them when they left but forgot a few things.

Seriously, instant resolution. Bam.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Yeah, it's almost like the Kree might have taken all their advanced tech with them when they left but forgot a few things.

Seriously, instant resolution. Bam.

Except for "the temple," which had fully functional stone slab doors and a stone pedestal to activate the diviner. It was clearly designed that way.

A better explanation is the Kree subcontracted the Goa'ould for all their construction needs.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mylan posted:

Except for "the temple," which had fully functional stone slab doors and a stone pedestal to activate the diviner. It was clearly designed that way.

A better explanation is the Kree subcontracted the Goa'ould for all their construction needs.

Ptah's services are highly sought after.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Mylan posted:

Hence why I qualified my statement with "forgot a few things".

Also, are the Kree considered villains in the Marvel universe? I know you've got guys like Ronan running loose, but I don't tend to hear of Kree the same way that I do the Skrulls.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

All aliens are assholes in Marvel.

Sometimes there are occasional periods of not being assholes when they owe Earth a favor or a non-rear end in a top hat leader takes over but they always return to rear end in a top hat.

Ronan is a good guy in the comics. He's been one for a while.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pretty much all the aliens in the universe hate earth in the Marvel Universe. It's only because earth has all the superheroes that it isn't blown up.

You sometimes have some sort of arrangement like the Kree with Mar-Vell and the Shi'ar with Professor X that makes them less hostile. And friendly cosmic brings like the Silver Surfer who like the place. But yeah, otherwise every alien hates the earth.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Earth is strategically and economically very valuable; it sits on an intersection of multiple hyperspace lanes or something. Plus the Celestials have been messing with humanity for a long time so everyone wants to dissect humans with superpowers to give their super-soldier programs a boost. They keep getting punched out by Captain America or something before they can take over, which just makes all the aliens pay attention even more.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
This reminded me of something that bothered me about Guardians of the Galaxy. Is there a reason that there is an entire planetary civilization full of humans in space at a time when aliens back home on earth were still unconfirmed, or is it just "comics" coincidence that an alien species look exactly like humans?

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

Slashrat posted:

This reminded me of something that bothered me about Guardians of the Galaxy. Is there a reason that there is an entire planetary civilization full of humans in space at a time when aliens back home on earth were still unconfirmed, or is it just "comics" coincidence that an alien species look exactly like humans?
Those were Xandarians, who don't have anything to do with Earth people as far as I know. In the comics their planet Xandar was blown up and the survivors built space stations that also got blown up on three separate occasions. In the movies they went with a simpler back story, but they kept the part of an ages-long war with the Kree.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Slashrat posted:

Grey Area posted:

Those were Xandarians, who don't have anything to do with Earth people as far as I know. In the comics their planet Xandar was blown up and the survivors built space stations that also got blown up on three separate occasions. In the movies they went with a simpler back story, but they kept the part of an ages-long war with the Kree.

I was confused about all that stuff as well, but yeah, they apparently just went Full Comics and had an alien race that looks exactly like humans with no explanation.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Finally caught up!

Honestly, they made a mistake calling it a city and showing the big holograms. They should've called it straight up a 'temple' or 'labyrinth' or something along those lines and described it as just tunnels, so we weren't built up to expect something more.

I don't really care that much what Bobbi and Mack are up to as long as it doesn't get in the way of Mack and Fitz being bros. You hear me, Marvel?

Although speaking of that, I always thought it was weird that they brought in the obscure Alphonso Mackenzie from the comics but that they had no similarities between the comic and show characters besides the name - so maybe he'll be CIA like he was in the comics. I can't see any other reason they'd have used an existing name.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 8, 2015

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Lots of characters in the MCU bear little to no resemblance to their comic counterparts, or in the case of characters that have existed for decades, might be a combination of characters from different comic timelines. Daisy in AOS is at least partially Inhuman and had to go through that process for her powers to activate. In the comics she is born with her powers though strangely doesn't have an X gene.

Have we heard anything about Graviton yet? I'm really surprised he's still out there and not been used.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

notthegoatseguy posted:

Lots of characters in the MCU bear little to no resemblance to their comic counterparts, or in the case of characters that have existed for decades, might be a combination of characters from different comic timelines. Daisy in AOS is at least partially Inhuman and had to go through that process for her powers to activate. In the comics she is born with her powers though strangely doesn't have an X gene.

I know, but there's usually at least one element of commonality. Daisy has earthquake powers, for example. And a dad named Cal who you wouldn't like when he gets angry.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

MikeJF posted:

And a dad named Cal who you wouldn't like when he gets angry.

And yet, we the viewers loving love him whether or not he gets angry. :allears:

Seriously, I could watch Kyle MacLachlan as Muad'dad for days and not get tired of it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Kree are kind of weird in Marvel space stuff because they aren't outright villains but they are complete dicks a lot of the time. Like their race is very racist and xenophobic but they don't want to constantly destroy the Earth or anything like that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

muscles like this? posted:

The Kree are kind of weird in Marvel space stuff because they aren't outright villains but they are complete dicks a lot of the time. Like their race is very racist and xenophobic but they don't want to constantly destroy the Earth or anything like that.

Sounds more like real life nations than most.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music

Slashrat posted:

Grey Area posted:

I'm so used to so many fictional universes explaining away the majority of aliens being humanoid away as something like "blah blah the original spacefaring civilization of this universe resembled humans and they terraformed/seeded the stars to create earthlike conditions and spawn earthlike species all over the place" that I thought that was what was going on in the Marvel universe too.

What the hell is this guy? In the movie, he describes Xandarian civilization as his, so I thought maybe he was an actual native Xandarian and all the humans and pink humans are just the descendants of immigrants who outpopulated or displaced most of the natives.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
So Raina turned into a mole and Mockingjay turned out to be a mole in the same episode. Thematic storytelling!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

I was confused about all that stuff as well, but yeah, they apparently just went Full Comics and had an alien race that looks exactly like humans with no explanation.

Most higher sentient life was created by space gods in Marvel so it's okay.

Darth Ballz
Apr 30, 2003
Feel the burn

Aphrodite posted:

Most higher sentient life was created by space gods in Marvel so it's okay.

Correct, Google "Celestials". It explains why most space races resemble each other in some way, and also why Earth seems to be a focus of space-rage, and why so many people on Earth have super powers. Apparently the Earth is an incubator (egg) for a new "God" (Celestial), and the people are its protectors; as threats escalate, their powers escalate.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Barack HUSSEIN posted:

What the hell is this guy? In the movie, he describes Xandarian civilization as his, so I thought maybe he was an actual native Xandarian and all the humans and pink humans are just the descendants of immigrants who outpopulated or displaced most of the natives.

I interpreted it as Xandarian being a culture, not a species. Like being American.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Ensign_Ricky posted:

And yet, we the viewers loving love him whether or not he gets angry. :allears:

Seriously, I could watch Kyle MacLachlan as Muad'dad for days and not get tired of it.

I sure hope they don't kill him off by the end of the season :ohdear:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xandarians are a species that look basically human, eye colours excepted. The Nova Empire has as bunch of aliens, although Xandarians and Krylorians (the pink people) are the most common. Xandar the planet is pretty cosmopolitan and it's common to see all sorts of species because it's the capital of the empire (and thus sometimes 'Xandar' is used to refer to the empire rather than 'Nova')

The Broker guy you linked is presumably one of those aliens and just considers Xandar his home.

Basically? Immigration.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 8, 2015

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I was really disappointed that there wasn't a race of John C Reilly looking aliens which is basically my only gripe of GOTG.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Darth Ballz posted:

Apparently the Earth is an incubator (egg) for a new "God" (Celestial),

Wasn't that only the deal for Earth-X?

Then again, Franklin is pretty much an embryonic god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
The Celestial Egg would also explain why Earth is the merging point of all the different universes in recent marvel comics. I think it's fun to have crazy stuff like that out there in comics, and then people can ignore it or use it when it suits them.

• Locked thread