Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Xibanya posted:

That was a great misspelling.

Apparently my phone has a higher level of clearance than I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Ozz81 posted:

So now a bunch of us are rightly pissed that this was sprung on us last minute, rules were changed with no communication beforehand, and we now have a ton of useless old logo shirts that would cost more to have the logo removed than the shirts are worth.

Collect all of the old shirts that people want to part with and give them all to a local homeless shelter or Good Will.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

Ozz81 posted:

- We can't wear our old logo shirts any more
- The new shirts come in 3 colors like before but have to come from an "approved" catalog the company provided
- They won't deduct any money from our check to purchase the shirts, we have to give them a check or CC to do the ordering
- Only shirts from the approved catalog can be logo'd, we don't have the option of buying our own in the company colors (or any other colors) from anywhere else
- We can't trade in any of our old logo shirts for new ones or credit towards new ones

If memory serves, California law at least declares that employees aren't responsible for the cost of specific uniforms (e.g. having a dress code of "business casual" doesn't mean the company buys you suits, but requiring you to wear a particular goofy hat means the company has to provide it). A number of companies some years back got in trouble for deducting uniform costs from new employees' paychecks. It may be worth looking into your own state and seeing what laws are applicable.

Then again, welcome to :911: and who cares about employment laws.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
My new boss loves to print out everything. EVERYTHING. Calendars, JIRA charts, etc. etc. This is done daily so that she can carry this around all the time.

Its just a waste of paper. i think she's really organized and she seems really nice, but this is a lot of paper to use and throw away every day.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ozz81 posted:

At the same time all this happens, the higher up bosses decided on a new logo change, and we had a big meeting on Monday - to preface, the company provides polos with the logo on them when we're hired, and we got 3 initially in separate colors for the company. You also had the option of bringing in your own polos of ANY color and the company would get the logo stitched on, free of charge. Lots of people did that, and then found out on Monday that:

- We can't wear our old logo shirts any more
- The new shirts come in 3 colors like before but have to come from an "approved" catalog the company provided
- They won't deduct any money from our check to purchase the shirts, we have to give them a check or CC to do the ordering
- Only shirts from the approved catalog can be logo'd, we don't have the option of buying our own in the company colors (or any other colors) from anywhere else
- We can't trade in any of our old logo shirts for new ones or credit towards new ones

So now a bunch of us are rightly pissed that this was sprung on us last minute, rules were changed with no communication beforehand, and we now have a ton of useless old logo shirts that would cost more to have the logo removed than the shirts are worth. This place is such a loving joke sometimes, I swear...resume is already polished up and ready, just waiting for some more bullshit office politics to happen so I can give my formal resignation. My manager and several above him already know about a lot of these issues (and more) because I've emailed or sat and talked directly about them, yet nothing gets done. And on top of it, the company has probably averaged an engineer a month loss from people quitting or getting fired in the last year, all expressed the same concerns I've had, yet management can't seem to put the pieces together.... :suicide:

Just don't wear the shirt with the logo if you don't have to. and if you have to demand they pay for it.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

Pleads posted:

Our QA tester has given her 2 weeks so our team is now down to Me (PM), a guy who has been here 5+ years (programmer/PM), our new director (~7months) and her son (PM, 4 days).

The Skype convos between myself and our programmer have turned from "man, it'd be nice to replace the 2-3 people who quit in the last year" to "this is a sinking ship gong show, what a loving crock of poo poo"

New director and her son!?!? Any stories about these 2?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Shadowhand00 posted:

My new boss loves to print out everything. EVERYTHING. Calendars, JIRA charts, etc. etc. This is done daily so that she can carry this around all the time.

Its just a waste of paper. i think she's really organized and she seems really nice, but this is a lot of paper to use and throw away every day.

This is strongly preferable to a disorganized boss that saves paper.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

OatmealRocks posted:

New director and her son!?!? Any stories about these 2?

Nothing special. She was hired as a "Senior" Project Manager, was quickly made Operations Director, is largely useless in all aspects and nobody likes her, caused one person to quit, hired her son as PM, and now another person has quit because of her.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Pleads posted:

Nothing special. She was hired as a "Senior" Project Manager, was quickly made Operations Director, is largely useless in all aspects and nobody likes her, caused one person to quit, hired her son as PM, and now another person has quit because of her.

Is her son actually making an attempt to be decent at his new PM role, or is he yet another shithead elevated above his paygrade via nepotism?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

sbaldrick posted:

Just don't wear the shirt with the logo if you don't have to. and if you have to demand they pay for it.

That's half the gripe, the other half is that they bought into the old policy where the company would put the logo on other shirts for them, and now they aren't allowed to wear those shirts and are left with a bunch of ruined shirts (really, what adult wants to wear a shirt with their employer's logo on it outside of work? Generally speaking).

It's a symptom of a larger problem, which is that the management doesn't let one empathetic thought enter their heads. It SCREAMS that the executives don't give a poo poo about their employees, their employees' money, or how managerial decisions affect their lives and happiness. I don't believe that most executives care about these things, just to clarify, but at least they make a goddamn effort once in a while to pretend that they do.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Che Delilas posted:

It's a symptom of a larger problem, which is that the management doesn't let one empathetic thought enter their heads. It SCREAMS that the executives don't give a poo poo about their employees, their employees' money, or how managerial decisions affect their lives and happiness. I don't believe that most executives care about these things, just to clarify, but at least they make a goddamn effort once in a while to pretend that they do.
Throughout this "shirt transition", is it possible to make it a personal project (safely that is, assuming you want/need to keep the job)?

Not a big deal for you, just innocently, passively-aggressively delay for as long as possible ("Oh, I forgot to order!", ""Huh, where's my wallet?, "Oh I was so busy today!") until it reaches a critical point where it requires the "teamwork" of the company, minimally a couple of others, possibly the department, bonusly involving the CEO himself, all to expedite a loving shirt order.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

Pleads posted:

How to these people 'quickly' get promoted? Seriously. Is management that out of touch?

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!

Sydin posted:

Is her son actually making an attempt to be decent at his new PM role, or is he yet another shithead elevated above his paygrade via nepotism?

From my experience just another shithead.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

OatmealRocks posted:

How to these people 'quickly' get promoted? Seriously. Is management that out of touch?

Usually a combination of whizword bingo and happening to be the right person in the right place to help an Executive solve an issue that was causing them difficulty. After that general competency for the job doesn't have to factor.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Usually a combination of whizword bingo and happening to be the right person in the right place to help an Executive solve an issue that was causing them difficulty. After that general competency for the job doesn't have to factor.

You're just jealous that their core competency of blue sky thinking to develop streamlined flightpaths for promoting elevated customer-faced solutions is more value-added than whatever it is you peons do downstairs.

Poop Cupcake
Dec 31, 2005

The hard drive in my computer died on Wednesday. We have no backup policy or resources at all. There's only some very rudimentary offsite storage, and it doesn't do backups for things like Outlook. Our company emails are spread across 5 different servers all running different software, one for each different .com address. Only one of them is running Exchange. We don't have email backups of any kind. None. Zero. We also don't have an IT department and most of our computers are still running Windows XP.

I moved the drive over to another computer (that happens to be 8 years newer) and was able to ddrescue a drive image from it. Overall there was no data loss, and I was able to restore everything except my Outlook 2007 inbox. I saved my boss hundreds of dollars in data recovery bills and tons of time that we didn't spend shipping it out to a place to rescue it for us. Now he's bitching that I'm getting someone to fix my inbox for me who is charging for their time. This is from a guy that is so cheap he has no backup policy. Now he doesn't want to pay to get poo poo fixed.

You'd think a software consulting company could do better. You'd think.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

And were on to the third day this week where the same sales person has stated that she needs a rush on the same quote because its definitely sold. So for the third time this week I'm going to have to push every other quote aside to deal with this bullshit.

Also got a fun little email from a service rep asking me to look into why plan design changes were never implemented and now the client is extremely upset and its some how my fault. My department has nothing to do with implementation but what the hell let's see what happened. The conclusion of my through investigation was that said service rep never sent the changes in to be implemented. Sent my findings back to her in a rather blunt email and made sure to cc any important person I could think of.

So I've given up on caring even remotely about this job, quitting smoking, and other people's feelings. And its only 8:30 :allears:

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

We had this happen just recently. The service managers started complaining about the service being given by the Services group to various customers, and after several months of this, the director and senior director positions are made up of former service managers. Their plan for increasing customer satisfaction is to promise customers unrealistic metrics and then start firing people who cannot perform.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Sundae posted:

You're just jealous that their core competency of blue sky thinking to develop streamlined flightpaths for promoting elevated customer-faced solutions is more value-added than whatever it is you peons do downstairs.

Having been the beneficiary in the past of "right place at the right time" I'm not going to complain too much!

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

OatmealRocks posted:

At my company, if you are an ex-Walmart, Yahoo, or eBay employee and you know one of the many VPs we have from those companies, you're pretty much guaranteed a position as a Director, or if you're junior, a manager.

Here is a review from Glassdoor that articulates how I feel about my company nowadays.

If you are a former co-worker or family member of the executive team then it is a great place to work!
Over the past couple of years executive management has changed, and the focus has been to hire and expand the Product Management and PMO organizations with extreme emphasis on product development discipline. The number of PM and PMO personel has skyrocketed in return for a marginal improvement in process with less flexibility to adjust "on the dime." In an uncertain HealthCare industry rather than being lean with extreme focus on driving traffic, it is become overly obsessed with perfecting an Agile Development methodology. "We are not a software company, we are an online broker." Hiring over the past two years has become an obssession with bringing in and posturing former co-workers and family members (V.P. => EVP are cousins). Not afraid to fire, but yet no accountabliity all the way up and down the ladder. People walking around trying to find ways to justify their positions.

I admit that I am one of the project managers who are a part of implementing our Agile framework. Regardless, my team is one of the few that are actually profitable at the company and we barely use anything resembling an agile framework. I try to listen to my team and work with them on coming up with a process that works for them.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Che Delilas posted:

That's half the gripe, the other half is that they bought into the old policy where the company would put the logo on other shirts for them, and now they aren't allowed to wear those shirts and are left with a bunch of ruined shirts (really, what adult wants to wear a shirt with their employer's logo on it outside of work? Generally speaking).

I will but we get free swag, plus we have a kickass logo and flag.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Having been the beneficiary in the past of "right place at the right time" I'm not going to complain too much!

:lol: Yup, tell me about it.

That's basically how my entire career got started. No idea what the hell happened since then, but RP:RT is how I got in the door at all.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Che Delilas posted:

This is exactly it - not only do they not care, but the fact that they actively PRETEND to give a poo poo and try to turn any criticism back on the employee is ridiculous. Case in point with the shirts, when we asked about the new rules and all, we got a bullshit run-around answer that included management implying that some employees didn't appreciate them providing these things to us. And it's been going on since before I started working here, the only difference being that anyone who gives constructive feedback or asks questions is treated passive-aggressively like they're the problem, when they're trying to help fix a bigger problem. It's pretty sad when the company has a couple employees resign within a week of each other, and a week after that, the CEO holds an impromptu meeting to address the perception that "management doesn't care", then doesn't do anything to fix that perception.

TwoSheds
Sep 12, 2007

Bringer of sugary treats!
Looks like the part of my job that I hate the most (transcribing calls for lazy sales reps who take credit for my work) just became my main job responsibility. In addition to doing the work of three other people who have either left the company or take credit for my work.

On the plus side, rumor has it that the company is laying off the entire department except for me, one other person and the managers. That substandard wage is looking better every day.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Apparently its now my job to handle the difficult work of anybody who gets asked a question that requires actual thinking.

I don't mind this poo poo as its the only interesting part of my job, but Jesus Christ understanding this poo poo is a critical component of our job and apparently I'm the only one who can do it.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

1500quidporsche posted:

Apparently its now my job to handle the difficult work of anybody who gets asked a question that requires actual thinking.

I don't mind this poo poo as its the only interesting part of my job, but Jesus Christ understanding this poo poo is a critical component of our job and apparently I'm the only one who can do it.

This is my job, too. You'd think Technical Analysts would be, well, technically inclined.

"Why does x happen?"
"Have you looked at your code for x?"
"uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Sundae posted:

:lol: Yup, tell me about it.

That's basically how my entire career got started. No idea what the hell happened since then, but RP:RT is how I got in the door at all.

One weird trick to tripling your salary in a year! Everybody is talking about it!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Sydin posted:

No idea, I haven't heard 2 words from him. I'm remote, she's remote, he will be remote. He's visiting her for training this week and then they are both visiting the head office next week.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

-S- posted:

This is my job, too. You'd think Technical Analysts would be, well, technically inclined.

"Why does x happen?"
"Have you looked at your code for x?"
"uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Yeah I get some quality questions like "Broker is taking 13% commission, I can't figure out why the expenses are so high on this group" Industry standard for a group that size would maybe be 6%.

The problem I face is that there's no industry standard to calculate rate adjustments. So I end up getting retarded questions from sales like "Why are we we going with a 15% increase? If we increased credibility to 100%, bumped up the target loss ratio 5% and reduced trend to 10% we'd see a 5% decrease. We should be going with that!"

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I used to work with a company that had a policy where employees could provide their own shirts to get the logo embroidered on.

One guy had the tackiest possible Hawaiian shirts with the company logo on it as a result.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ozz81 posted:

This is exactly it - not only do they not care, but the fact that they actively PRETEND to give a poo poo and try to turn any criticism back on the employee is ridiculous.

Actually what I was trying to say is that I would prefer that management at LEAST pretend to care, even if they really don't. Because by pretending to care, by making at least an effort for that facade to seem plausible, they would have had to think about issues from an employee's standpoint, which might actually lead to small improvements in employees' lives and morale. I don't care that they don't care, as long they're doing something that actually helps employees (obviously I prefer if they actually care, but some kind of effort is better than nothing).

In your case it sounds like management doesn't even pretend to care in a believable way. They're not thinking at all about what their policies might look like to an employee and how it might affect an employee's life or morale. In other words zero empathy, where my previous scenario at least requires them to have some.

It's a sad state of affairs when a distinction like that is significant, but here we are.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Poop Cupcake posted:

The hard drive in my computer died on Wednesday. We have no backup policy or resources at all. There's only some very rudimentary offsite storage, and it doesn't do backups for things like Outlook. Our company emails are spread across 5 different servers all running different software, one for each different .com address. Only one of them is running Exchange. We don't have email backups of any kind. None. Zero. We also don't have an IT department and most of our computers are still running Windows XP.

I moved the drive over to another computer (that happens to be 8 years newer) and was able to ddrescue a drive image from it. Overall there was no data loss, and I was able to restore everything except my Outlook 2007 inbox. I saved my boss hundreds of dollars in data recovery bills and tons of time that we didn't spend shipping it out to a place to rescue it for us. Now he's bitching that I'm getting someone to fix my inbox for me who is charging for their time. This is from a guy that is so cheap he has no backup policy. Now he doesn't want to pay to get poo poo fixed.

You'd think a software consulting company could do better. You'd think.

We are Fortune 500 and not only don't have automatic backup, we pretty much can't use anything but a narrow list of approved programs, and more is getting banned by the day. Because some idiot clicked on a Trojan last week, now GMail is banned and we can't send zip files. I don't understand how they expect us to get files to our vendors at all, never mind someone who actually has clients. Our IT's effectiveness is absolutely a 0, to the point where I wonder how we get anything done at all.

There's a lot I don't miss about my old job, but no one gave a poo poo if just installed Dropbox or something like that, because I actually knew a poo poo about IT and could be trusted to not be an idiot.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Our CEO clicked a Trojan / phishing thing a few days back. His assistant promptly forwarded the message his outlook sent to her to the entire company to tell them that if they got an email from this guy, not to click the link. The link was in the quoted message.

IT hits reply all to tell everyone the link is in the message and don't click it.

Some director of something clicks the link.

Her computer sends out the email.

Her one report clicks it.

CEO reply all to IT's email to say that he's an idiot and he apologizes.

Critical production system crashes, no one in IT is available because they're de-malwaring the entire executive suite.

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

A few weeks ago an email was sent to everyone in the division to finish some annual training before the end of the month. Of course the list wasn't send blocked and a few of people hit reply to all to say they did the training, as happens.

Around the third reply, some annoyed and possibly evil person responds to one of these people, saying "Thanks". They also edited the subject line to include "MUST REPLY TO ALL".
:ughh:
We're STILL getting reply-to-all responses to that email a month later. Probably over a hundred by this point.

FebrezeNinja fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Mar 7, 2015

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Che Delilas posted:

Actually what I was trying to say is that I would prefer that management at LEAST pretend to care, even if they really don't. Because by pretending to care, by making at least an effort for that facade to seem plausible, they would have had to think about issues from an employee's standpoint, which might actually lead to small improvements in employees' lives and morale. I don't care that they don't care, as long they're doing something that actually helps employees (obviously I prefer if they actually care, but some kind of effort is better than nothing).

In your case it sounds like management doesn't even pretend to care in a believable way. They're not thinking at all about what their policies might look like to an employee and how it might affect an employee's life or morale. In other words zero empathy, where my previous scenario at least requires them to have some.

It's a sad state of affairs when a distinction like that is significant, but here we are.

I feel ya buddy :( :hf: :( I guess that's what I was trying to say - they pretend but they're so transparent that it's easy to see right through it. Then turning criticism or feedback around on employee(s) and treating it like an attack, or like the employee(s) don't appreciate something, is just the diarrhea icing on the crap cake.

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

FebrezeNinja posted:

Around the third reply, some annoyed and possibly evil person responds to one of these people, saying "Thanks". They also edited the subject line to include "MUST REPLY TO ALL".
We're STILL getting reply-to-all responses to that email a month later. Probably over a hundred by this point.

That's fuckin' awesome.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

FebrezeNinja posted:

A few weeks ago an email was sent to everyone in the division to finish some annual training before the end of the month. Of course the list wasn't send blocked and a few of people hit reply to all to say they did the training, as happens.

The right way to do this is to reply to all with "Please remove me from this mailing list." It looks innocent and ll the idiots that are also getting that email will think that's how you get the emails to stop, and do the same. The more people that see it, the more people fall for it. It's awesome.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

FebrezeNinja posted:

One of our suppliers has a similar set up, where if you send a reply to their mailing list it goes to everyone on the 150+ person list. A lot of the addresses on that list are also mailing lists or group distribution lists.

People get an operation notice, reply all (sometime with confidential information!) to get clarifications, and the traditional dance of reply all begins. I wish outlook had a warning pop up when're you're replying all to more than five people or whatever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

SpartanIV posted:

The right way to do this is to reply to all with "Please remove me from this mailing list." It looks innocent and ll the idiots that are also getting that email will think that's how you get the emails to stop, and do the same. The more people that see it, the more people fall for it. It's awesome.

My company recently added a new mailing list that included everybody who was a workspace admin in one of our development tools, without telling all of us. They then listed it on the intranet page for that tool, and so it started getting spammed with emails from users of the tool asking technical questions and asking to be granted access. This lead to about ~30 people replying to the mailer list with "Please remove me from this list", alongside the slew of "How do I x in the tool" emails, "please grant me access to x workspace" emails, and the emails of the few people actually answering those questions.

The thing is, this isn't even what the email list was set up for. It was meant to be a way for the vendor & main support team behind the tool to email the workspace admins regarding downtime/changes/updates/etc. The way they finally put a stop to this was sending an email to the entire company, telling people the mailing list isn't for technical support of the tool (that would be the "Tool Support" list, not the "Tool Admin" list :allears:) and that just replying with "Please remove me from this mailing list" does not cause some magic switch to be flipped that removes you from said list.

My inbox was a mess for weeks. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
So we have online registration for our service but it's dumb and bad because it doesn't ask for all the information we actually need so we have an army of operations people emailing and calling people on the phone to get the rest of the details - as you can imagine, it's insane and takes days to set up a single account and often the client gets mad. We were supposed to remake online registration to eliminate this problem - and the problem is getting worse, as we now get over 100 new clients per week. We were supposed to redo online reg around this time but then I checked the upcoming project schedule and it's all weird business experiments mandated by the parent company - like we just had to do a release where for x% of people who visit our site from a certain zip code, they see a different pricing plan than others (the number is then capped at a certain amount.) this plan is dumb because prospective clients are always calling in (they get shuffled to sales) and the sales team has to awkwardly suss out what price the client actually saw on the website. Nobody thought this was a good idea but parent company forced us. Another thing we were forced to implement was "single sign on," ie, signing into the parent company's site signs into our site too. But parent company refused to let us work with their UAT environment or stuff so it was a bunch of bullshit back and forth.

Recently the director of our company asked how things were going in IT. Because I have no fear, I told her I was surprised by the project lineup and I asked her if there was tension between the need to make our web app run (lol it's a crumbling piece of poo poo) and the the desire to try out new business strategies. I expected a bullshit nonanswer but the director of the company looked me right in the eye and said "I wanted Online Reg to be redone this month but [CEO of parent company] called me late at night and told me we had to do the hidden price plan immediately. We wont gain any internal efficiencies this year because what [CEO] wants, [CEO] gets."

Between this and my boss's open bitching about [CEO] I'm hoping for some drama...but not the kind that makes me lose my job.