Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014
Yes OSRS now has a f2p component.

However i really, -really- wouldn't recommend playing the f2p game of either. Neither have evolved much and are pretty barren. What you remember in ye olde day is what it still is.

I recommend buying a month or two of members, playing, and if you like it, stick around. If not, just don't renew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

Not as many of us play OldSchool, but if you have membership on RS3 it also counts for OSRS. OSRS has stripped-down F2P servers available though if you're interested in those, and you can play two different accounts at once if you want to multilog on RS3 and OSRS at the same time. Depending on how much bonds end up costing, the efficiency of paying for membership with coins on either game might change back and forth in the coming months. Something to keep an eye on, anyways.

We have a clan chat for OldSchool, ScapeGoons. There's also a Steam group for both versions of RuneScape, El GoonSquad.

e: I just discovered AutoHotKey and oh my god it looks like the best thing ever for oldschool if you have the slightest bit of familiarity with scripting, does anyone know if using AHK for dropping logs/making darts can get you banned?

Soulhunter fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Mar 3, 2015

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Is that the EoC training area where you learn combat and get lamps for it? Or something different? I could use summoning exps.

Yeah that's the place. The lamps ended up being 4.7k each for me.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Soulhunter posted:

Not as many of us play OldSchool, but if you have membership on RS3 it also counts for OSRS. OSRS has stripped-down F2P servers available though if you're interested in those, and you can play two different accounts at once if you want to multilog on RS3 and OSRS at the same time. Depending on how much bonds end up costing, the efficiency of paying for membership with coins on either game might change back and forth in the coming months. Something to keep an eye on, anyways.

We have a clan chat for OldSchool, ScapeGoons. There's also a Steam group for both versions of RuneScape, El GoonSquad.

e: I just discovered AutoHotKey and oh my god it looks like the best thing ever for oldschool if you have the slightest bit of familiarity with scripting, does anyone know if using AHK for dropping logs/making darts can get you banned?

Rule of thumb is that you must maintain 1:1 input, so you can't script a key to be a series of actions.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Old school Runescape is also basically like playing "Harvest Moon: Sewer Edition" so hth.

Terces
Mar 27, 2010

I just saw this on the rsof and laughed more than I should have, considering the serious nature of the matter. It's like it reminded me of something.

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Read posted:

Rule of thumb is that you must maintain 1:1 input, so you can't script a key to be a series of actions.

Don't do any diag. mouse movements either because it's been known to get auto banned. Lots of people use the 'Sleep' function on AHK so after pressing a button it'll go through a series of poo poo before having to be pressed again. There is no concrete rule for AHK, but as long as you don't do any ridiculous poo poo with it, you're fine.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Terces posted:

I just saw this on the rsof and laughed more than I should have, considering the serious nature of the matter. It's like it reminded me of something.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE MOVE ALONG

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014
Anyone want a Meiyler Potion Recipe?

Just got this. this'll give everyone in the dung team a recipe. ATM its me (mandatory) and Grippa. Anyone else want one?

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
The guides are awesome, I made about 500k today just selling plant 1s. Made it to 35 rc on the runespan and 23 mage. Good to be playing again.

joachim783
May 9, 2013

SleepingPizza posted:

Just got this. this'll give everyone in the dung team a recipe. ATM its me (mandatory) and Grippa. Anyone else want one?

yea i'll go, i've been looking for the overload salve recipe for a while hopefully i'll get one this time.

joachim783 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Mar 4, 2015

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm down, tomorrow night? I've also got a Yak card that we can pop

joachim783
May 9, 2013

Magres posted:

I'm down, tomorrow night? I've also got a Yak card that we can pop

in what timezone? i wanna know when to log in

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

SleepingPizza posted:

It'll also give guarenteed meilyr cards for 5 floors in a row if you solo.

editt:

Psychedelicatessen fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Mar 4, 2015

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Epik loulz :iamafag:

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Runescape is basically like playing "Harvest Moon: Sewer Edition" so hth.

What other game takes a rarely occuring bug like the south facing camera and turns it into a feature?

It's well known that JMods are Redditors who are on the very pulse of the sick and in meme heartbeat. Just look at the Runescape Facebook page to see all the le epicz they're posting.

Terces posted:

This, on the other hand, is absolutely beautiful, but they spelled magros wrong.

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014

Spergminer posted:

It'll also give guarenteed meilyr cards for 5 floors in a row if you solo.

i dont need it though i got em all

EDIT: Did some song hunting today. just need music from:

Trouble brewing game
Conquest game
Fighting Nex
Fighting Vorago

SleepingPizza fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Mar 5, 2015

Swicky
Dec 29, 2013

DAY MAN
AHH AHH AHHHHHHH
FIGHTER OF THE NIGHT MAN
AHH AHH AHHHHHHH
He's a master of karate and friendship, for everyone
I'm not dead

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
What the gently caress is gold swapping and how is it not RMTing?

E: swapping gold between OSR and RS3? Good lord this is dumb. Get bots running in one and use it to pay for membership in the other. I can see no legitimate reason to gold swap, and the middleman taking a 9:1 payout is ridiculous.

CashEnsign fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 5, 2015

Soulhunter
Dec 2, 2005

OldSchool News posted:

Achievement Diaries

To keep up the trend of big updates to Old School, we are bringing you 10 brand new achievement diaries as well as an elite addition to the Karamja achievement diary!

Completing these diaries will be no small feat with the elite diaries requiring both immensely high stats and a complete understanding of every part of Old School.

Achievement Diary Taskmasters

We have added a new NPC to act as a taskmaster for each diary. Being able to track these taskmasters down is important when starting diaries and claiming rewards. Below is a brief explanation of where each taskmaster can be found, their name and appearance.
  • Morytania - Le-sabre
    To start the Morytania diary and claim your rewards once you've earned them, head just west of Canafis and track down Le-sabre.
  • Falador - Sir Rebral
    The taskmaster for the Falador achievement diary, Sir Rebreal, can be found in the White Knights' Castle.
  • Wilderness - Lesser Fanatic
    The Lesser Fanatic, the wilderness diary taskmaster, can be found in Edgeville nearby the bridge.
  • Varrock - Toby
    Toby, the Varrock diary taskmaster, can be found in the centre of Varrock.
  • Fremennik - Thorodin
    Thorodin, the Fremennik diary taskmaster, can be found just south of Relekka (slightly west of the house portal).
  • Kandarin - The 'Wedge'
    The Kandarin diary taskmaster, The 'Wedge', can be found by the gates of Camelot.
  • Lumbridge & Draynor - Hatius Cosaintus
    Hatius Consaintus, the Lumbridge & Draynor taskmaster, can be found looking quite fancy just outside of Lumbridge castle.
  • Desert - Jarr
    The desert diary taskmaster, Jarr, can be found in the Shanty Pass.
  • Western Provinces - Elder gnome child
    The taskmaster of the Wester Provinces diary, Elder gnome child, can be found just south of the Grand Tree.
  • Ardougne - Two-pints
    Two-pints, the Ardougne diary taskmaster, can be found in the pub north of the castle in east Ardougne.
  • Karamja - Tzhaar-Mej
    TzHaar-Mej, the Karamja elite diary taskmaster, can be found south of the gem shop in the Tzhaar area. You cannot go to Cap'n Izzy No-beard for the elite diary. You must go to TzHaar-Mej.

Diary rewards

For each Achievement Diary that you complete you will receive a number of rewards. With an easy, medium, hard and elite set of tasks for 10 different diaries, the number of rewards available with this update is huge. Because of this we are not able to go over every reward in this news post.

You can see the full list of rewards in the Achievement Diary rewards developer blog.

Here are a few of the many noteworthy diary rewards that we wanted to highlight.

Rewards across all diaries

The following rewards will be offered for all diaries across all regions:

Easy lamp: 2,500 Experience in any skill over level 30.
Medium lamp: 7,500 Experience in any skill over level 40.
Hard lamp: 15,000 Experience in any skill over level 50.
Elite lamp: 50,000 Experience in any skill over level 70.

You will receive these lamps in addition to the specifics rewards for each set of tasks on each diary.

Access to new red chinchompa hunting ground - Western Provinces diary - Hard reward

Upon completing the hard tasks for the Western Provinces diary you will be allowed access to a new red chinchompa hunting ground. This hunting area is sure to be peaceful and competition-free as only the top tier of hunters will be able to access it.

Access to the cooking guild bank - Varrock diary - Hard reward

Those of you that missed being able to hang out in the cooking guild bank will be pleased to see it return. Completing all hard tasks in the Varrock achievement diary will allow you access to the newly created bank.

Ability to use the Edgeville furnace - Varrock diary - Easy reward

After completing the easy tasks in the Varrock achievement diary you will be rewarded with access to the Edgeville furnace as well as a 10% chance of smelting 2 bars at once up to steel when using it.

With each additional set of Varrock tasks that you complete, the chance of smelting bars applies to an additional tier of bar. Completing the medium diary allows you to get the 10% chance when smelting mithril bars, hard allows you to get it for adamant and elite allows you to get it for runite.

Ardougne cloak - Ardougne diary - Easy to elite reward

The Ardougne cloaks have been a long standing favourite when it comes to achievement diary rewards. With each set of Ardougne achievement diary tasks completed a new Ardougne cloak will be unlocked.

The Ardougne cloak 4, the reward for completing the entire Ardougne achievement diary, is now the best-in-slot cape in Old School for a few stats. It offers the following stats:

Stab attack: +6
Slash attack: 0
Crush attack: 0
Magic attack: +6
Range attack: 0

Stab defence: +6
Slash defence: 0
Crush defence: 0
Magic defence: +6
Range defence: 0

Strength: 0
Prayer: +6

Other rewards

As previously mentioned, you can see the full list of achievement diary rewards by reading the Achievement Diary rewards developer blog. There are a huge number of benefits to exploring the game with achievement diaries, don't miss out!

Feedback & bugs

With such a massive update we are fully expecting, and hoping, to receive feedback on tweaks that we could make to improve the quality of this update. To make sure that we see everything that is said about the update, we have made a dedicated thread for you to send us your feedback and suggested tweaks.

In addition to general feedback, if you come across a bug it is crucial that you report it using the bug report form. Reporting it here will guarantee that it is seen and will allow us to fix it as soon as possible.

F2P Worlds & instanced bosses

To deal with the recent influx of new F2P players, we have temporarily converted 3 members worlds to F2P. Worlds 301, 326 and 335 are now F2P. These worlds will be changed back at some point next week after we have had a chance to set up additional F2P worlds.

One concern that a number of players had with reducing the number of members worlds was the inability to find an open world in which to kill the Kraken. To address this, a poll will being going live later on today offering access to an instanced Kraken cave. This will allow any number of players to kill the monster at any given time without having to be concerned about competition.

In other news...

• Loading times should no longer be increased after searching on the Grand Exchange.
• The achievement diary cape will not have an emote until next week.

The full list of requirements & rewards can be found here on the OSRS Wiki

While there's no Prifddinas and thus no elf city achievement diary, this update brings two unique task sets to OldSchool, the Wilderness and Western Province diaries, rewarding players with the Wilderness Sword and Western Banner. Most tasks have been changed from their RS3 counterparts, and overall I would say the requirements seem slightly higher for each OSRS task set. The OS team seems to be positioning the Achievement Cape as a sort of pseudo-completionist cape with the elite diary requirements, here's the full list of non-skill based requirements:

• 153 kudos in Varrock Museum - Varrock
  • 1,000 Chompy kills - Western Province
  • Any complete void set - Western Province
  • Completed Barbarian Training - Fremennik
  • Level 5 in all Barbarian Assault roles - Fremennik
  • 1,300 Black Knight kills - Falador
  • Unlocked Bones to Peaches spell - Lumbridge
  • Unlocked all 3 God spells - Wilderness
  • Own a Fire cape - Karamja
  • Completed all quests - Lumbridge
  • Any skillcape - Falador
  • Mogre miniquest completed - Falador
  • 800,000 Nightmare Zone points - Ardougne
  • Completed Knight Waves Training Grounds - Kandarin
  • Kalphite Queen head - Desert

Mercifully, there's no "Play 5,000 games of Castle Wars" requirement, but the maxed out barbarian assault roles might be nearly as suicide-inspiring if you can't find a good team of coordinated players. I don't see too many players acquiring a complete elite diary armour set any time soon.

CashEnsign posted:

gently caress

gently caress gently caress fuckity gently caress we can say gently caress

Goldswapping is tolerated under the guise of "but we need to buy bonds on RS3!!!" from the OSRS community, which is pretty dumb. As if goldswapping is going to stop at all after OSRS Bonds come out later this month, right?

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Achievement Unlocked: Beat A Worse Version of a Bad Game

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Goonscape Visual Novel Update

The evidence tab seems to be functioning perfectly so I'm really happy. As you find new evidence, suspicious items, etc. You'll fill this up and be able to have a quick look over it and hope it helps you solve the murder!

I have the game planned in approximately 6 stages, and am ready to create the 4th. With some luck, I might have this ready by the end of the month!

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
You are an absolute treasure.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Soulhunter posted:

gently caress

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Soulhunter posted:

he called the poo poo poop!

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Soulhunter posted:

nobody gives a gently caress about it besides you anyway :colbert:

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
gently caress

I hope that untriggered someone.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
It is time once more, beloved Goons, for HARDASS BARBASS.

Joachim has informed me that Vic the Trader, Patron Saint of poopsockers, is coming to town again.

For those who weren't around when Vic came to town before, he let's you trade bonus XP in skills for points in his shop which can be traded for XP lamps, BXP stars, or Skilling outfits - including Silverhawk Boots(!!!!!). This means that BXP you have in 99s or skills you don't care about, you can convert into XP or BXP in skills you actually want it in.

Where Hardass Barbass comes in is that Hard Mode Barbarian Assault gives gobs of experience. Doing HM Waves 1-6 will give you ~200k BXP in Agi or Mining, or about 300k BXP in Firemaking. And then you can sell the Hard Wave 7 Ticket for 500k-1M because pubbies are stupid as hell and people going for 200M Agi XP are autistic dog fuckers who will throw huge piles of gold at you for slightly speeding up their grind. If you're interested but don't know much about BA, I believe we have my BA guide in the OP of the thread, as well as a good Defender guide someone wrote up (because I can't play Defender worth a drat).

Spend several hours grinding HM BA, make some mills, and be ready when Vic comes to town to get loads of BXP in skills you hate (you can even just directly get Agi BXP and make that skill half as awful). I'm hoping to get enough BXP to ride the wave to 99 Runecrafting and Construction, among other things.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
What's going to happen is you're going to get frustrated again, quit, then play world of tanks instead.

Exps
Jun 14, 2008

How Rude posted:

What's going to happen is you're going to get frustrated again, quit, then play world of tanks instead.

But you'll always be back.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Someone suggested doing the combat training in Lumbridge. Tried it, recommend it.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Hey sometimes my bitching can be useful. yay.
<--Jiggly

Read
Dec 21, 2010

I meant this post actually, though you reminded me.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

To any moderately high level goons:

Go do Combat Academy in lumbridge. You can get an absolute boatload of xp in expensive combat skills like prayer or summoning for 10 minutes of work

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Exps posted:

But you'll always be back.

I don't even bother unsubscribing anymore.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Read posted:

I meant this post actually, though you reminded me.

Don't thank me, thank A Friend and his iron-man videos. Wouldn't have ever gone there without his suggestion.

Dr. Mix
Jan 21, 2005

He's under a lot of stress alright?
A Friend has the best ironman videos. He plays a shitton and has accomplished more than my character that is over a decade old.

Terces
Mar 27, 2010

:catstare:

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

You can crust that
I won't cheese on you

God ram what a baaaaaffling examine.

Also, a friendly reminder that we be mindful about using retarded and autist as insults both in-game and in the thread. Thanks!

Now, an amazing pun and reminder isn't all I have for you. Here is a sample of the evidence presenting system at work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcdSZ3UjmQ0

For those that are familiar with Ace Attorney, I'm going to try and replicate the cross examination style to that as closely as I can, while keeping it simple.

e: The same friend who made me my amazing keeping for life avatar is trying to get me to play Monster Hunter 4. This is what she showed me in her attempt to do so:

:pizzahunt:

Themata fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 8, 2015

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Themata posted:

Now, an amazing pun and reminder isn't all I have for you. Here is a sample of the evidence presenting system at work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcdSZ3UjmQ0

For those that are familiar with Ace Attorney, I'm going to try and replicate the cross examination style to that as closely as I can, while keeping it simple.

Goddamnit Kari I wanted to know why he was invited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014

the gently caress is this guy doing