Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Completed a few more off the backlog while adding even more to it!

Akiba's Trip: Undead and Undressed: What a terrible game that I couldn't stop playing. It's both a parody and love letter of otaku culture. It's genuinely funny, has an excellent localization, and is an absolute chore to play but I don't regret playing it one bit.

Transistor: What a disappointing game coming from Bastion. Combat was enjoyable and I liked how they give you robust tools to play with. All of the combination of abilities feel valid and discovering your own game breaking combos is great. But they really dropped the ball in the story and presentation. Bastion was fun to play with a surprisingly decent plot that got you involved in both this apocalyptic world and the four characters caught in the middle of it. Transistor's plot has no direction, there's nothing to draw you in, and the environment is just set dressing. Everything outside of the combat feels like a total waste it may as well not exist.

Apotheon: This was the PS+ game of February and goodness is it a great game! A wide variety of fun weapons to use, fantastic boss fights, a decent challenge, and it just ticks off every checklist of a good Metroidvania style game. I've heard some okay things about Capsized and Nexuiz but props for this fantastic release, Alientrap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Poison Mushroom posted:

I played these several months ago. At the time, I was kinda lukewarm on them, and I've only cooled more and more since then. The big first stab at text-only interactive fiction on Steam, and it's this loving garbage.

Yeah, it's a shame. I recently got to play Tin Star and Choice of Robots, and they're small masterpieces of CYOA. I highly recommend both if you're into text-only games, especially if you can get them on Android or other mobile platforms since I feel it's the perfect game format for that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

They need to put more of the Steve Jackson gamebooks on Steam. They have The Forest of Doom but Sorcery on Android are great renditions of classic CYOA gamebooks.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
drat, that looks pretty sweet. Thanks for the tip!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: The Detail - Not sure I'm interested in playing more episodes of this when they come out. It's similar to the Walking Dead game, but in 2D, with no voice acting, hammy dialogue, generic by the numbers cop drama, and static cutscenes. Meh.

And now the 150th game I've beaten on Steam since June 2014 (when I started counting):

BEATEN: Hector Badge of Carnage (all 3 episodes) - As a series, it is relatively consistent throughout, pretty gross with its gross-out humor, overbearing on the British sarcasm, and there's no likeable characters. Still, I played all three episodes, so, I dunno. I didn't have to consult hints often, the puzzles were mostly logical. Ultimately the only real issue is the issue I find with most adventure games that don't have a hotspot button: it's hard to find the hotspots at times.

BEATEN: Danganronpa 2 - Better than the first in a few ways, although Logic Dive is terrible. Actually all the court poo poo is pretty terrible, I don't know why people say it's an improvement over Phoenix Wright's court mode. Phoenix Wright beats the poo poo out of this game and leaves it bloody and broken. It's still entertaining though. Some of the characters were more interesting this time around (especially Nagito). Other characters were just pale imitations of the previous game's characters. But whatever, I liked it. It's not an A-grade game though. More of a C-grade game.

ADDED: Ascent Savant, Double Dragon Neon, Bloodrayne Betrayal, The Joylancer

BACKLOG PROGRESS:
Steam: Beaten 284 of 562 games (50.5%)
Console: Beaten 24 of 68 games (35.2%)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 5, 2015

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
BEATEN: The Order: 1886 - a fantastic looking game with excellent voice acting and hella sweet breakable objects everywhere. Seriously it might be one of the prettiest games ever made when it's not dark as hell. Other than that it's boring, bland, and incredibly short with zero replay value. There's still a market for good single player only experiences (Wolfenstein, Shadow Warrior, Gunslinger, Blood Dragon) but The Order is just a poo poo game. It's a shame because the premise and setting could have been rad as hell and maybe they can do something neat in the inevitable sequel (this game's story is incomplete and ends on a cliffhanger) but The Order: 1886 is just garbage overall.

BEATEN: Apotheon - a rad Greek urn looking openish Metroidvania. The story is 100% God of War but whatever, it looks great, the voice acting is good, the exploration is fun, and the combat is cool even if kinda goofy at times. Due to the game's puppet style of animation and dual-stick combat it starts feeling kinda loose in a weird way but I never hated it. The boss fights are especially well done. Extremely recommended.

BEATEN: Injusice: Gods Among Us - a drat enjoyable fighting game. Not going to say it's as tight as Mortal Kombat 9 but the story is still well presented and the actually fighting is fun as hell. The PS4 version has lots of extra characters (that I wish were in the story mode as you play as the same dudes over and over again. Sorry Batman you're boring in this game) and a TON of content that I don't have nearly the time to get into but it's there for fighting or DC fans. My only knock against this game is that the old prerendered cutscenes look and run like absolute dogshit and the fight choreography in them is laughable at best but that doesn't affect that actual gameplay one bit.

NULLED: Earth Defense Force 2017 Portable - a perfectly fine port of the game but honestly it's a slog and a half without co-op. Suited my needs for a road trip.

NULLED: Castlevania X Chronicles - again it's a fine game but I honestly think Rondo of Blood kinda sucks. I understand why it's neat and important but man does it not play well and the new 3D version is sorta ugly. Also this game has Symphony of the Night included which I beat but loving :aslol: the new voice acting is boring and terrible.

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Mar 6, 2015

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

NULLED: Castlevania X Chronicles - again it's a fine game but I honestly think Rondo of Blood kinda sucks.

YES THANK YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Good week for clearing shorter games!

BEATEN: Metal Dead - The adventure game aspect is solid, the visuals and presentation are not. This is an ugly game, and a very bland and unfunny game, but the actual adventure game logic/puzzles are pretty decent. This is a budget title through and through. Also the MIDI music is horrible. There's no voice acting so you may as well just play it on mute.

BEATEN: Sweet Fuse - 'WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!' a dating sim with character art by the artist of Phoenix Wright where you're held hostage in a theme park overthrown by a dude in a pig costume who has rigged the entire place with explosives. Sweet Fuse does a good job of balancing the 'high stakes' setting with the romance paths. The only real 'gameplay' is making choices, and sometimes finding a key phrase in particular strings of dialogue (called Explosive Insight), as well as getting to shout at people who piss you off, which you should do all the time. The path I chose was the boy band teen because to be honest the rest of the cast are all like twice the protagonist's age and it would be kind of creepy to pair her up with them. One of the characters has like a 6-7 year old kid, it's like, yikes.

BEATEN: Castle in the Darkness - In the list of Metroidvanias I've played on Steam I would place this squarely in the middle. One of the bright spots about the game is that it is absolutely FULL of secrets. Optional paths, optional REGIONS, optional bosses, and apparently there's more secrets unlocked if you 100% the game, which I did not because I didn't feel like it. The controls are very responsive, the platforming is just okay and honestly it's not as difficult as people say it is. The real problem is that you have very little hitpoints and enemies do way too much damage for the majority of the game. You won't get really decent armor until right before you clear the game (for me it was the Dream Armor I acquired right before I fought the final boss). For half the game you're stuck with just +1 armor. It's rough. You actually will want to find those optional paths just to fight more bosses to get more HP Up rewards.

ADDED: NaissanceE

BACKLOG PROGRESS:
Steam: Beaten 286 of 565 games (50.6%)
Console: Beaten 25 of 69 games (36.2%)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 7, 2015

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Yodzilla posted:

BEATEN: Apotheon - a rad Greek urn looking openish Metroidvania. The story is 100% God of War but whatever

When I first saw the trailers for this my question was not "why is this story basically God of War" but rather "Why don't the God of War games all look like this".

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah hey really did a great job with the presentation and tone of Apotheon. Gotta love them big floppy Satyr dongs!!

e: speaking of God of War was the latest one any good at all? I wouldn't mind seeing more of that series but Kratos is so played out it's silly. He's like a parody of video games at this point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quest For Glory II posted:

Good week for clearing shorter games!

BEATEN: Metal Dead - The adventure game aspect is solid, the visuals and presentation are not. This is an ugly game, and a very bland and unfunny game, but the actual adventure game logic/puzzles are pretty decent. This is a budget title through and through. Also the MIDI music is horrible. There's no voice acting so you may as well just play it on mute.

BEATEN: Sweet Fuse - 'WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU?!' a dating sim with character art by the artist of Phoenix Wright where you're held hostage in a theme park overthrown by a dude in a pig costume who has rigged the entire place with explosives. Sweet Fuse does a good job of balancing the 'high stakes' setting with the romance paths. The only real 'gameplay' is making choices, and sometimes finding a key phrase in particular strings of dialogue (called Explosive Insight), as well as getting to shout at people who piss you off, which you should do all the time. The path I chose was the boy band teen because to be honest the rest of the cast are all like twice the protagonist's age and it would be kind of creepy to pair her up with them. One of the characters has like a 6-7 year old kid, it's like, yikes.

BEATEN: Castle in the Darkness - In the list of Metroidvanias I've played on Steam I would place this squarely in the middle. One of the bright spots about the game is that it is absolutely FULL of secrets. Optional paths, optional REGIONS, optional bosses, and apparently there's more secrets unlocked if you 100% the game, which I did not because I didn't feel like it. The controls are very responsive, the platforming is just okay and honestly it's not as difficult as people say it is. The real problem is that you have very little hitpoints and enemies do way too much damage for the majority of the game. You won't get really decent armor until right before you clear the game (for me it was the Dream Armor I acquired right before I fought the final boss). For half the game you're stuck with just +1 armor. It's rough. You actually will want to find those optional paths just to fight more bosses to get more HP Up rewards.

ADDED: NaissanceE

BACKLOG PROGRESS:
Steam: Beaten 286 of 565 games (50.6%)
Console: Beaten 25 of 69 games (36.2%)

You just sold me on Castle in the Darkness.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There's no FAQ or guide to the game yet so I will just say a couple of pointers: you get doublejump as a part of the main progression, be sure to stop in the museum for the Ares Gauntlet, and then swing at any wall that looks fragile. There are also walls that aren't actually walls you can walk through for more secrets. House of Ruth will kick your rear end the first time you find it, you can get new spells in there if you want to just dodge the enemies. The Cave of Serpents region has hidden paths leading to TWO different hidden regions. In the Castle Entrance, the grey enemies throwing axes at you have a rare drop chest that contains a 5 ATK Axe weapon which can be handy for a couple of bosses for where you're at in that point of the game.

Also, you'll die a lot but it will mostly be due to your relative lack of health/DEF early on. I think there's an easy mode that unlocks after 10 deaths but I didn't bother with it, I assume it reduces damage but I was already past the first area and didnt feel like starting over.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Beat: The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter
I took a month off from video games and decided to jump back in with this short game. I completed it over a couple of evenings, maybe 4 hours altogether. What an incredibly beautiful game. It is second only to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in my mind in how effectively it portrays a place that feels true and lived-in in every way. The story is a tad hokey (although the whole mine sequence, especially the short underwater scene at the end is awesome) and the only fun puzzle IMO is the crazy house / doors one. The ending packs a real emotional punch though. Still this game is absolutely worth it just to walk around and explore the scenery, which is straight up jaw-dropping and whatever modelers built that environment are incredibly talented and I can't wait to see what they do next.

Up next, probably Dungeon of the Endless and this Minecraft that I hear all the kids talking about.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Finished: Shadow of Mordor - Very fun game, got all collectibles, did all challenges, finished the storyline, bought all upgrades and then killed every warchief and captain left for good measure. Took 22 hours. If there's ever a good deal on the season pass, I'll get it and revisit the game.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry
Sometimes it looks like I don't like games at all...

Finished/Nulled?: Cat Goes Fishing
My Steam review: "A very casual and cute little fishing game. Nothing is really going on other than you, as a cat, throws out the line and reels in fish after fish and the occasional hat."
I hadn't maxed everything out or caught every fish, but was starting to see the same tasks/quests repeat, so it looks like it's an endless game.
Anyway, fun little game.

Nulled: Explodemon
Yeah, not my kind of platformer and it had a really annoying gimmick and was just god drat noisy.

Nulled: Krater
I absolutely loved the art style and setting, but the further I got, the more it just felt like one big fetch quest. Cool idea that your party can be put together from all the people you hire/get to follow you.
One thing that got on my nerves was the voice acting. Being from Denmark and working with a lot of Swedes every day, the Swedish voice talents just grated my ears down.

Nulled: LYNE
OK, I'm giving up. I usually enjoy puzzles like these, but this one doesn't really work for me.

Nulled/Almost finished: Marlow Briggs
God dammit! I was at the cave before fighting the dragon for the first time, and you need to move 4 boxes to open the gate, and while I could get 3 of them activated, I simply couldn't reach the last one. I even looked at video guides (had to jump off a platform, glide then use rope to move across the area to activate the bellow that would move the box).
I simply couldn't get the rope swing to trigger and after having worked on that level for 15-20 minutes, it was "gently caress this". There weren't even any enemies, so it was just a simple jumping puzzle that didn't work.
Everything else about this title I really enjoyed, except for the camera work. Wow that was annoying.

Finished: Max Payne 3
Awesome shooter/action game. As I have no plans on replaying the game, I had no problems with the long cut scenes as I really enjoyed the story.

Nulled: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
It did absolutely nothing for me. Technically, it looked quite competent but I'm just not a fan of these games, that takes themselves so drat serious, without having anything to back it up. I might get the full game in a couple of years when it's sold for 5 bux on Humble.

Nulled: Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor
I really wanted to like this game, but I honestly didn't, and it's basically two things that did it for me, well, three actually: 1. I'm getting really bored by the Tolkien universe now. Loved the books, enjoyed LOTR, have watched the first two Hobbits and now it's just meh. 2. That first area is just grey in grey in brown. I know it's supposed to look bleak but goddamn. 3. Respawning everything all the time, almost within seconds of it/they being killed. At first it was like, cool, lots of combat. Then it was like, "Hey, I literally just killed that captain and turned my back to the body for a few seconds and now he is taunting me over there?" to "OK now it's just retarded". While the nemesis system was a neat idea, it started to annoy me enough that the game had to go. Perhaps the DLCs are fun. I don't know. I have them but don't plan on reinstalling the game.

Finished: Mystery Case Files: Madame Fate
Old school Hidden Object game.

Nulled: OlliOlli
An endless 2D skateboard game? Got annoyed by the controls in the tutorial. Uninstalled.

Nulled: They Bleed Pixels
Retro platformer. Looked OK but not my kind of game.

Nulled: Titan Quest + Immortal Throne expansion
Cool Diablo-like ARPG with nice looking graphics and cool setting but I got tired of the small things like not having a creature to do my shopping like the Torchlight series and other things. It's funny and a bit sad, when you start to notice these things and basically just lose interest because you know someone else made a better user experience design.

Currently playing
Tormentum - Dark Sorrow. Indie fantasy/horror point-and-click adventure/puzzle game.

Lined up
Blackwell Convergence, because it's a good adventure series.
Life is Strange. It looks pretty interesting.
The Old City: Leviathan. Been a while since I played a good walking simulator.
Stick It To The Man. Heard good things about this one.
The Sum of All Fears. Heard nothing good about this title though.
Two Worlds II. I need to play an epic RPG.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Fart of Presto posted:

Nulled: OlliOlli
An endless 2D skateboard game? Got annoyed by the controls in the tutorial. Uninstalled.

Just to be a bitch I have to point out that OlliOlli isn't endless at all. It's a collection of short stages each with their own challenges.

Also Krater should be pulled down from Steam. The game is abandoned, unfinished garbage.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Nulled both Metal Gear Solid V and Shadow of Mordor? What the hell dude.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nulled both Metal Gear Solid V and Shadow of Mordor? What the hell dude.
I take it you've never seen a Fart of Presto post before.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Fart of Presto posted:

Nulled: They Bleed Pixels
Retro platformer. Looked OK but not my kind of game.

As someone whose kind of game it very much was, I will note for the benefit of others that They Bleed Pixels is a lot different from the games it looks like. It looks like a Super Meat Boy clone, but to get They Bleed Pixels you have to first cross that with Devil May Cry and then give Devil May Cry precedence over the Meat Boy parts. This is very much a game about dodging endless buzzsaws and spikes, yes, but it is also, and IMO primarily, a game about landing 47-hit Antediluvean Combos on shoggoths and then finishing that off by punting them into the endless buzzsaws.

I've never seen anything quite like it.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Beat- Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes

I don't track iOS games at all (and don't own enough games to have a real backlog) but I really enjoyed this game and felt it deserved a mention. Smart pacing, the art was really clean and had a lot of character, the music compares favorably with the HoMM series, and the mix of puzzle and tactical elements was really well done. They'd try to mix it up, too: sometimes you'd be asked to do something like throw some switches on the battlefield or hit a specific target instead of pounding every single opponent to 0 HP. Combats tend to drag sometimes, if only because it's a turn based game and the little pauses between things can really start to add up.

Beat- Diablo III: Reaper of Souls

Enjoyed the Crusader class and some of the enhancements to the gameplay, such as the ability to ratchet up the difficulty (and rewards) more fluidly, and without a gear grind. Started a fresh seasonal Crusader character and played all the way through Act V on Master difficulty.

Now playing - Divinity: Dragon Commander

Took me a couple tries to figure out the strategy and was initially getting frustrated, but I figured out the basics to the RTS mode and I think I might have already broken the game. Act II is supposed to be a lot harder, though. Anyway, I like this game. Interesting mish/mash of political sim, RTS, 4X and many other genres. It doesn't do any of those things super well, but it has charm and it's been interesting enough to draw me in.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

My Steam list was getting polluted by titles that I have no actual interest in playing, so I nulled a bunch of stuff.

Risk of Rain: Whether you do well or not seems largely up to the RNG, which quickly becomes frustrating. Also, bullshit spawns and dead ends.
Dungeons of Dredmor: I usually love roguelikes, but I was turned off by the art-style and the wacky monkey-cheese humor.
E.Y.E - Divine Cybermancy: I honestly don't have the patience to figure out what the hell is going on in this game.
FLY'N: I hardly even remember playing this, but I stopped after less than half an hour, so it can't have been very good.
Ghost Master: Cool concept, but the NPCs never behave quite how you expect, and it relies too much on obscure puzzle elements.
Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising: I was utterly lost during the 30 minutes or so I played this. Then I fell off a cliff and died.
Shank 2: The only thing I really remember about this one was that it made my thumb hurt like hell.
They Bleed Pixels: I'm an old man, I don't have the stamina for these super-difficult old-school platformers anymore.
The Void: Liked it well enough until I had to draw some symbol by mouse, and it was really picky about recognizing what I drew for some reason.
Dawn of War Soulstorm + Dark Crusade: Loved the base game and the other DLCs, but I don't see myself going back to finish the last two DLCs.
The Witcher: This game has not aged well. Aside from the clunky graphics, I could not get over the generic setting and the awful voice acting.
The Binding of Isaac: Never got close to finishing this, but I did more or less finish Rebirth, so there's no point in wrapping up the original.
Commandos 3: Destination Berlin: Too action-oriented for my taste, stealthing a level doesn't ever seem to be a valid option.
The Cave: I played through one or two characters, then I just sort of stopped. One apathetic shrug out of one.
Grand Theft Auto IV: Stopped playing after completing most of the story, and I can't see myself going through that drag a second time.
Osmos: All I remember about this one is that it got incredibly frustrating towards the end. Probably should have nulled this years ago.
Sanctum: Bought this solely because it was compared to Orcs Must Die, but it's nowhere near as good as that game.
Super Meat Boy: See They Bleed Pixels. I think I must've tried getting into this game at least three times over the years.
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes: Ugly, boring, terrible voice acting.
Tropico 3: Completely superseded by Tropico 4.
X-Com UFO Defense: Too retro for me, to be honest.

In less negative news, I completed Dark Souls 2, and it was awesome! Gonna pick up the DLC when it goes on sale.

The_Fuzzinator
Oct 9, 2007

I know now why you Cuddle. But it's something I can never do.
Hello! My name is fuzzinator and i have a Game buying problem. i have 257 games on steam, and in my backloggery (http://backloggery.com/games.php?user=fuzzinator&console=PC) i have only added the ones that aren't Multiplayer only, or never ending.

I have finished only about 40 games and plan on Streaming myself over twitch as i play through my steam games. For better or for worse i play after work and fitness activities which puts it at about Midnight EST.

my stream channel is Shameless Channel plug and I appreciate people Ragging on me and helping me stay on track in playing through games. Having just finished Far Cry 4 and plan on starting Batman Arkham City next.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nulled: Hand of Fate [11]

I got a lot of fun out of this, definitely a worthwhile purchase, but I don't think I'll ever finish it -- the last dungeon is just way too luck-based for me to enjoy. I looked up the ending on Youtube and it doesn't look like I'm missing much, at least.

It's a shame, the Dealer's commentary drops so many tantalizing hints as you play and then it just goes nowhere. :( The game itself is fun, though, and I may break it out now and again for Endless Mode still.

Nulled: The Incredible Machine [11]

I played a lot of this as a kid, and I played more as an adult, and I've made peace with the fact that I'm going to be stuck on that puzzle with the guns and the balls until the day I die.

Nulled: The Incredible Machine 2 [12]

I completed TIM3 years ago, and only recently learned that TIM3 is actually a remake of 2. So if I've already played 3 there's not much point in playing 2.

Now Playing: ???

Not sure yet. I was thinking perhaps Jasper's Journeys, which apparently I got in a Humble Bundle at some point and from the screenshots is reminiscent of the old Apogee platformers I enjoyed as a wee lad, but that may be my next laptop game instead. Other games on the shortlist: Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet, Infinite Space, Kya: Dark Lineage, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, and Mana Khemia 2.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I've beaten one game only since last time:

BEATEN: Valkyria Chronicles - I've never been into SRPGs, I couldn't stand Disgaea, I don't have the patience for them normally. They need to have a gimmick like integrating the third-person shooter genre, like Valkyria Chronicles and Codename: STEAM do. So, this hooked me. This game is a fuckin ton of content too, I didn't bother with the side missions you unlock from the newspaper place. I will say that the levelling and R&D doesn't really make.. sense? I was told that Scouts become like demigods by the end of the game but they didn't for me, and I pumped all sorts of EXP into them and developed all their weapons. I'm not gonna fuckin grind to do it. The challenge curve was pretty good. Aside from the terrible final battle most of the missions got more and more complex and interesting. Now I guess I should try VC2??

I also started on Shadow Warrior and I'm just playing on casual because I have no fuckin time for bullet sponges and the game is already really long for a solo campaign (I prefer 6 hours to.. 12)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Scouts can basically disable the enemy long before they reach you but their biggest strength is movement. VC is a game where you're rated on how fast you complete a mission, not how efficiently you do it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

al-azad posted:

Scouts can basically disable the enemy long before they reach you but their biggest strength is movement. VC is a game where you're rated on how fast you complete a mission, not how efficiently you do it.
I could never hit the aim button fast enough to handle the DPS of shocktroopers attacking my scouts, I could never get the jump on them either, seemed like they would always turn 180 degrees as i ran up behind them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I only just started playing Valkyria Chronicles, but the combat system is weird. I was expecting something more like Valkyrie Profile 2, but instead it's more like everything runs in realtime all the time , but you're limited by move distance, rather than a timer.

I'm not sure I like it. You can never stop and look around or rethink your plans, because even if your current character is safe, your other troops might be getting shot in the face, and the scoring being based on speed and nothing else encourages you to take insane risks.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

I could never hit the aim button fast enough to handle the DPS of shocktroopers attacking my scouts, I could never get the jump on them either, seemed like they would always turn 180 degrees as i ran up behind them.

I'm assuming you're playing the PC version. The penalty for interception is far harsher at 60fps, making tanks and shock troopers far more powerful than they were originally. Here's an example video with 60fps on the left and 30fps on the right.

But the idea for scouts is to force enemies into situations where they break cover which gets your scout free hits as they try to run away. They also get the grenade launcher and can take out a tank's radiator with a powerful rifle. There's a reason why Alicia is the preferred character for solo challenge and A rank runs.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I'm pretty sure they fixed the interception penalties recently. Hell, I remember the steam forums were rather pissed off (what a shock) on how the game is now "too easy".

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
BEAT: Strider - probably the fastest paced Metroidvania I've ever played. Pretty drat cool too even if they story was nonexistent garbage and for some reason the devs decided that covering most of the bottom part of the screen with dialog boxes during boss fights was a good idea. Your powers are either rad as hell or completely worthless and there's some checkpoint funkiness too. Not perfect but recommended.

BEAT: CounterSpy - sort of a next-gen Rolling Thunder with randomly generated levels? It doesn't take long to play through a game and it's meant to be sometimes you can go back to with its persistent DEFCON system and unlockables. I enjoyed it but I think the randomness sometimes hurt it and there were just some levels that I have no idea how you're supposed to stealth through as it just presents you with room after room full of shooting galleries and tons of dudes. Still worth a look but I just wish there was better stealth.

BEAT: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes - goddamn what a slick little package. I think its initial asking price of $40 is too high but for $20 on the PC it's rad as hell. Looks loving baller (seriously the Fox Engine owns), the new gameplay is smooth as silk, and it's just a fun MGS playground to romp around in. Lots of extra poo poo to do too. Oh yeah and vagina bomb I guess.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Nulled: Hammerwatch (laptop game)

Totally failed to grab me in the first level.

Nulled: Jasper's Journeys (laptop game)

On the one hand, it's an alright platformer with a "retro aesthetic", in the sense that "through careful art direction it looks the way I remember the Apogee games of my childhood, rather than the way they actually looked", rather than usual sense of "it's really low-res".

On the other hand, the game can only be saved at inns, which are located only inside the levels themselves (there's no intermission or world map), can be easily missed, and charge money for saving.

There is no :fuckoff: large enough. Duke Nukem 1 came out in 1991 and handled saving better.

Nulled: Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver [11]

Story: interesting. Gameplay: kind of boring, also the PC version is kinda glitchy and the PSX version has performance issues. I'm just going to read the Let's Play.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 16, 2015

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So I need to choose among 3 games. I can buy them all, but I probably don't want to. Also, I haven't played a video game in six months or so, so whichever I pick will probably take me a while to finish.

Stick of Truth $14
rear end.Creed Unity $35
Farcry 4 $35

I love open world games, I love RPGs. I really enjoyed the previous Assassin Creed games. Farcry 3 was fun but very repetitive and I got bored after 10 hours or so.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 16, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I believe you would probably prefer Assassin's Creed Rogue instead of Unity, though I will add the disclaimer that I have played neither. If you found Far Cry 3 to be boring and repetitive, there's little reason to believe you would find Far Cry 4 to be significantly better.

Therefore, from that list, I would have to go with Stick of Truth. Especially if you like South Park. If you haven't watched the Black Friday trilogy, it would make a fantastic prologue for the game. You can watch it for free online (legally) in various places.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

BEAT: CounterSpy - sort of a next-gen Rolling Thunder with randomly generated levels? It doesn't take long to play through a game and it's meant to be sometimes you can go back to with its persistent DEFCON system and unlockables. I enjoyed it but I think the randomness sometimes hurt it and there were just some levels that I have no idea how you're supposed to stealth through as it just presents you with room after room full of shooting galleries and tons of dudes. Still worth a look but I just wish there was better stealth.

Pretty much the only way to fully stealth a level is with the mind control dart. It still results in everyone killing each other but they won't spot you over it.

blue squares posted:

So I need to choose among 3 games. I can buy them all, but I probably don't want to. Also, I haven't played a video game in six months or so, so whichever I pick will probably take me a while to finish.

Stick of Truth $14
rear end.Creed Unity $35
Farcry 4 $35

I love open world games, I love RPGs. I really enjoyed the previous Assassin Creed games. Farcry 3 was fun but very repetitive and I got bored after 10 hours or so.

Unity is the most barren and featureless AssCreed since AssCreed 2. Not worth $35. Far Cry 4 is more of the same but with really good co-op. If you thought FC3 was repetitive after 10 hours it may not be worth the $35 investment. Stick of Truth is a piss easy Paper Mario clone but probably the most faithful adaption of a licensed property. Worth a look if you like console RPGs but absolutely required if you're a fan of South Park.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

al-azad posted:

Pretty much the only way to fully stealth a level is with the mind control dart. It still results in everyone killing each other but they won't spot you over it.

Unfortunately even with the mind control dart this can make enemies radio in an alert to increase the DEFCON level even if the're not in line of sight. And it seems like once an enemy is in an alerted state he never goes back to normal?

I dunno, just seemed a little frustrating at times.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Beat the original Assassin's Creed director's cut. Not horrible, not great, but you can certainly have some moments where you feel like a badass executing some parkour smoothly, or flowing through moves to kill several guards in a row. Everybody in the game sure talks too much, though, I'm hoping the 2nd one is a little better for that.

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

blue squares posted:

Stick of Truth $14
rear end.Creed Unity $35
Farcry 4 $35

You should probably have asked in the regular Steam thread.
FC4 is more FC3 + awesome coop.
Unity was everything I love about AC: big rear end city, lots of parkour, collectathon + almost no Templar space people scenes and perhaps only one tail mission. If you have the hardware, it's gorgeous. I'm currently playing Rogue, and while I loved Black Flag, this is just more of the same, including all the bad things like present day missions, a bit dated gfx compared to Unity, endless talking and, almost as usual, a whiny protagonist (this might change later).
SP:SoT is like a big interactive episode and one of the few games I've found funny from start to finish. Doesn't overstay its welcome.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Unfortunately even with the mind control dart this can make enemies radio in an alert to increase the DEFCON level even if the're not in line of sight. And it seems like once an enemy is in an alerted state he never goes back to normal?

I dunno, just seemed a little frustrating at times.

Yes, by "stealth" I meant the "don't get spotted" achievement. The stealth in this game is as advanced as Uncharted 2 which is to say it's completely throwaway. You can trick guards to go back to their normal state if you move far enough away from them that their icon disappears although if you try to move to a different map block it'll lower DEFCON.

Mark of the NInja this game is not.

Shovelmint posted:

Beat the original Assassin's Creed director's cut. Not horrible, not great, but you can certainly have some moments where you feel like a badass executing some parkour smoothly, or flowing through moves to kill several guards in a row. Everybody in the game sure talks too much, though, I'm hoping the 2nd one is a little better for that.

The second game is like going from Super Mario Bros to Super Mario Bros. 3. Better in every single way.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

al-azad posted:

Yes, by "stealth" I meant the "don't get spotted" achievement. The stealth in this game is as advanced as Uncharted 2 which is to say it's completely throwaway. You can trick guards to go back to their normal state if you move far enough away from them that their icon disappears although if you try to move to a different map block it'll lower DEFCON.

Mark of the NInja this game is not.

Gotcha. There just seems to be a lot relying on stealth so I assumed it would be more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

al-azad posted:

The second game is like going from Super Mario Bros to Super Mario Bros. 3. Better in every single way.

While there are things I prefer about the original SMB (probably because I'm old as gently caress) I have to agree with you regarding AC2, I'm only a few quests in, but the dialogue is better, graphics are better, and I just feel way way way more awesome parkouring around. I haven't gotten a sword yet (or even my subtle white outfit) so I don't feel quite as awesome in combat, but the hand to hand is improved so I have faith that blade combat will also feel better. The opening tutorial is better done, too, introducing concepts without the enforced dull handholding of the first one