Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

the spyder posted:

I'm free! Turned in my resignation today and I start at the new place Monday. Though I get the impression that they did not notify the existing IT staff... Fun times, lol.
Time to actually buy a daily.

Congrats!

Leaving jobs is so satisfying. (When not fired.)

ilkhan posted:

70s* and clear all week.
Which sucks, we desperately need rain/snow to fix this damned draught.

Of course we're forecast rain. gently caress England.

Mat_Drinks posted:

I think I like Riccardio if for no other reason then his awesome appearance on Top Gear and his smile in that photo :haw:

He looks like he's photobombing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I am so pissed off right now. I just found out that the annual monster garage sale, hot rod show and a few other events were today. Why is all this poo poo happening a month early??? gently caress! I rely on those garage sales to get tools and things I need for around the house.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just purchased babies first welder. Post later.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

the spyder posted:

I'm free! Turned in my resignation today and I start at the new place Monday. Though I get the impression that they did not notify the existing IT staff... Fun times, lol.
Time to actually buy a daily.

Congratulations! I know you've been miserable there for a while, I'm glad to hear the new gig is already in place!

Mooseykins posted:

He looks like he's photobombing it.

I asked my wife to guess which guy of the bunch I would cheer for and she guessed correctly in a second because basically I live my life with as much of a poo poo eating grin as possible because you might as well have fun! :haw: No that's not the Jim Beam talking.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 204 days!)

I figured I owe it to the person who got me interested in working on cars in the first place- a little eulogy among his own.

Grandpa Viggen passed away about an hour ago.

He was "everyones mechanic" from small motors all the way up to those enormous diesel trucks. A tough old bastard, he would be lying on the ground taking care of a dead truck in the middle of the Canadian winter.

Ever so innovative, he started making his own tools for whatever the job required. I think my favorite tool of his that WASN'T automotive related was simply two electric probes (probably just rebar, but memory fades) and a stripped 120vac cord. Water the lawn, jam probes a couple inches down, plug into an outside outlet (nobody bothered with GFCIs in the 80s). Come morning, you had all the worms you might ever need for the whole weekends' fishing. Just remember to unplug the worm shocker before you gather them.

His last two remaining cars were both running 3800s, having sold his pride and joy Cadillac a few years prior. He leaves a couple of S10 projects, various tools of his own creation that were for single tasks (until they could be repurposed), and an empty, cold garage.

Godspeed, Gramps. Nobody will ever be able to fit your coveralls- you were far too tall (and thin).

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
My Condolences.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

General_Failure posted:

My Condolences.

Yeah. I lost my last grandparent a number of years ago, same sort of thing. Sorry, dude.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

My brother and some of our friends are leaving for Dublin tomorrow and I am so god drat jealous :saddowns:

Edit: sorry for your loss Viggen :/

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sorry man, that sucks :(

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Wouldn't "Grandpa Viggen" technically be "Lansen"? Either way, sorry to hear about your loss Viggen.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Raluek posted:

Yeah. I lost my last grandparent a number of years ago, same sort of thing. Sorry, dude.

Same, 3 years ago in 3 weeks.

I gotta admit, that post hit me in the feels a bit. Sorry for your loss Viggen.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I'm sorry to hear it, Viggen. :(

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Condolences Viggen

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Tusen Takk posted:

Hey Leica, your mailbox is full, but yeah I was taking everything negative with a grain of salt since SA loves to hate FL and negatives tend to be way louder than people who are positive. Literally anywhere is better than Detroit, and the big thing for this whole thing to work is for my FIL to stop drinking and go to rehab so he could actually be cool like he is when he's sober and not treat everyone like poo poo (we're afraid that if he quits drinking cold turkey like he quit chewing tobacco he would die, and he's super stubborn).

FWIW, I highly recommend the rehab center I went to, and it's pretty well regarded as being one of the best in the country. It's in the hill country of Texas (read: beautiful, but middle of nowhere) - very quiet, very serene.

My uncle also went there, and has been sober ever since. I guess I wasn't quite ready to quit yet.

And yeah, you don't quit drinking cold turkey if you drink a lot. It's a good way to wind up with delirium tremens (which, I can tell you from personal experience, isn't exactly fun).

angryhampster posted:

So I installed an SSD in my desktop yesterday. I formatted it and installed Windows 8.1 successfully. Rebooted back into my old HDD running windows 7 so I could more easily copy everything I want to save onto a third drive. Restarted the computer, and it goes into a boot loop before the POST screen. Only way to stop is to cut power. Will be diving into it today..just hope it's not the MOBO. My case is crammed so tight I really don't feel like pulling everything out.

Unplug the hard drives first. Still looping? Find the CMOS jumper, move it to the reset position for a minute, then move it back. Still looping? Remove the CMOS battery and power cord, hit the power button to make sure the power supply is completely discharged, wait a minute, try it again.

My PC has done that a few times after hardware changes. No idea why.

Bajaha posted:

Ozone generator too maybe? Although I've heard that has the chance of discoloring fabrics/plastics.

Might be worth looking into as well.

FWIW, my mom and stepdad owned a carpet cleaning and water/fire restoration business when I was growing up.

Ozone generator ALWAYS came out for fire jobs. I remember they got one load that was a fully loaded Mayflower moving truck (53' trailer) that had partially burned, and managed to salvage most of the furniture and clothing. Most of the electronics were a write-off thanks to soot, but they saved a good chunk of everything else.

They used it in cars a few times, usually with decent results, just had to be careful with discoloring.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Same, 3 years ago in 3 weeks.

I gotta admit, that post hit me in the feels a bit. Sorry for your loss Viggen.

It was 7 years ago for me, and I still make myself sad thinking about it from time to time.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Lost one of mine a week before my wedding. :smith:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anybody know this "famous" street racer? Apparently he's being charged with 2 counts of murder, good on Cali for prosecuting this idiot.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/famed-street-racer-charged-with-murder-after-deadly-l-a--race-184741858.html

Wait, is this the guy with the farm truck on the Discovery show?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Mar 7, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

leica posted:

Anybody know this "famous" street racer? Apparently he's being charged with 2 counts of murder, good on Cali for prosecuting this idiot.

https://autos.yahoo.com/news/famed-street-racer-charged-with-murder-after-deadly-l-a--race-184741858.html

I think that's way over charged, especially as they now appear not to have been driving. I'd be curious what organizing these guys actually did.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

leica posted:

I dont think the farm truck has turbos, its just some wicked big block with nitrous.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

nm posted:

I think that's way over charged, especially as they now appear not to have been driving. I'd be curious what organizing these guys actually did.

I disagree, it's about time some of these people are held accountable, and if this guy needs to be made an example of then so be it.

The drivers should be charged as well tbh.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

leica posted:

Farmtruck has been on the show, but he lives in Oklahoma City. Yes, he actually calls himself Farmtruck now. :rolleyes:

Fart Pipe posted:

I dont think the farm truck has turbos, its just some wicked big block with nitrous.

Yup. Guy has a shitload of money into the drivetrain, and the only fucks given about how it looks are to keep it looking like a beat up old pickup.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

leica posted:

I disagree, it's about time some of these people are held accountable, and if this guy needs to be made an example of then so be it.

The thing is, if it isn't murder, you can't charge him with it no matter how mad you are at him.

In california, you can't even convict a drunk driver who wipes out a family of murder unless you give him a "Watson Advisal" which informs him that driving intoxicated is an act likely to kill. Watson advisals are given after your first DUI, so if you've never had a DUI, you get manslaughter. This for something everyone knows is pretty deadly.
This is an act of potentially similar danger (though probably less danger given that it was in a remote, closed road), but there is no watson advisal.
Especially as they were not the drivers, I really just don't see the charge. Manslaughter, maybe, depending on the level of actual organization.
I suspect this is a tool to get them to flip on the drivers.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Been a bad year, my grandmother died two weeks ago, right after my birthday. I'm still depressed.

She cooked a meal every Sunday for anyone who wanted to show up, for as long as I can remember, so at least 30 years of good Southern cooking. There would be a crowd of 15-20 relatives and friends every week, and she gave the leftovers to her elderly neighbors who couldn't take care of themselves anymore. She was the most selfless person I've ever known, and hated to be the center of attention. She served everyone at dinner before she would eat. We all took turns doing the dishes but she didn't want us to, and she hated receiving Christmas presents but loved giving them. She hated having her picture taken because she always thought she looked drunk, but she never drank.

She was raised in rural Alabama when racism was commonplace, but she gave food and gave loans to anyone who knocked on her door and loved watching Steve Harvey on Family Feud. She said that he was a fine-looking Negro man and loved his suits.

She served dinner one day, then went in the hospital for a week because she thought her chest hurt from bronchitis and died because it was actually a heart attack.

She believed in God but didn't go to church because she would rather spend the time cooking for people that she loved. I never heard her say a bad word or insult anybody and she fed every dog and cat in the neighborhood. I miss her every day and can only hope to be half the person she was.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

Yup. Guy has a shitload of money into the drivetrain, and the only fucks given about how it looks are to keep it looking like a beat up old pickup.

Sounds like one of the guys who shows up to the local dragstrip now and then in a beat to poo poo old Dodge pickup with the floor of the bed rusted out and a big steel chain across the hood to hold it down since the latch is busted. He's got some monster engine under the hood he refuses to show anyone and he puts down times just shy of requiring a cage and fire suppression.

Grandparent chat: condolences Viggie, I still miss my great-grandparents (spent about half my childhood with them).

I still have my great-grandma's toolbox in the garage; up until a year or so ago it was my only toolbox that I kept everything in. It was hers from when she was an electrician with Bendix and later a machinist at Lockheed, still has ner nickname stenciled on it (Hank, short for Henrietta). My car is nicknamed after my great-grandpa ('Fritz', which is the name he grew up with until he joined the US Army during WWII and had his name changed to something less Kraut-sounding before he got shipped off to France to go fight Krauts). He was a tank mechanic who later ended up at Lockheed working in the skunk works facility (which is why I will always have a huge soft spot for SR-71s - he helped build them.)

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Mar 7, 2015

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

wallaka posted:

Been a bad year, my grandmother died two weeks ago, right after my birthday. I'm still depressed.

She cooked a meal every Sunday for anyone who wanted to show up, for as long as I can remember, so at least 30 years of good Southern cooking. There would be a crowd of 15-20 relatives and friends every week, and she gave the leftovers to her elderly neighbors who couldn't take care of themselves anymore. She was the most selfless person I've ever known, and hated to be the center of attention. She served everyone at dinner before she would eat. We all took turns doing the dishes but she didn't want us to, and she hated receiving Christmas presents but loved giving them. She hated having her picture taken because she always thought she looked drunk, but she never drank.

She was raised in rural Alabama when racism was commonplace, but she gave food and gave loans to anyone who knocked on her door and loved watching Steve Harvey on Family Feud. She said that he was a fine-looking Negro man and loved his suits.

She served dinner one day, then went in the hospital for a week because she thought her chest hurt from bronchitis and died because it was actually a heart attack.

She believed in God but didn't go to church because she would rather spend the time cooking for people that she loved. I never heard her say a bad word or insult anybody and she fed every dog and cat in the neighborhood. I miss her every day and can only hope to be half the person she was.

That's a beautiful tribute to a woman who sounds like she lived a good life, full of love.

My condolences.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

leica posted:

Charging the organisers of a street race? About loving time. Thriow the book at those turds. Pile the charges on. Get them for breathing wrong. Street racers are fuckwits of the highest order and make real enthusists lives difficult.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

nm posted:

The thing is, if it isn't murder, you can't charge him with it no matter how mad you are at him.

In california, you can't even convict a drunk driver who wipes out a family of murder unless you give him a "Watson Advisal" which informs him that driving intoxicated is an act likely to kill. Watson advisals are given after your first DUI, so if you've never had a DUI, you get manslaughter. This for something everyone knows is pretty deadly.
This is an act of potentially similar danger (though probably less danger given that it was in a remote, closed road), but there is no watson advisal.
Especially as they were not the drivers, I really just don't see the charge. Manslaughter, maybe, depending on the level of actual organization.
I suspect this is a tool to get them to flip on the drivers.

Do you remember a case about 13 or so years ago where two drivers were charged with murder when they were racing after the sun set without their headlights on? I could be remembering it wrong... saw it on the news back then.

edit: Oh here it is. Looks like they were convicted of manslaughter. http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/05/19/ctv.drag.race.trial/index.html
I bet there have been more cases since then.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 7, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Do you remember a case about 13 or so years ago where two drivers were charged with murder when they were racing after the sun set without their headlights on? I could be remembering it wrong... saw it on the news back then.

edit: Oh here it is. Looks like they were convicted of manslaughter. http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/05/19/ctv.drag.race.trial/index.html
I bet there have been more cases since then.

Manslaughter is correct for the driver of both cars. Murder is a stretch. Generally, they won't even try without a watson advisal.
Manslaughter may be a stretch for these guys depending on what level of organizing they actually did.

Murder in these cases is intentionally hard to prove. A life sentence for what is an accident should be.
The drivers with a manslaughter conviction with the H&R enhancement are looking at 11 years state, so a pretty heavy conviction. 10+ years also makes huge differences in the prison experience.

The organizers as they did not drive would get invol man, which is 4 years county prison.

nm fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 7, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ever since I moved the router into the closet - a whole 5 feet - I can't stream live TV (using Verizon's app) to my phone from bed (which is how I often fall asleep - doesn't heat up the room like the 32" TV does, but I've never been able to sleep without a TV or radio on). It'll stream for a bit, then pop this screen up

Keep in mind the router is in the closet of my bedroom. Now I see why we get such poo poo speeds everywhere else in the house.

Dug out my old Netgear WNR3500L. Could have sworn I had Tomato on it, but it booted up with DD-WRT after I did a hard reset on it. Set it up as an access point, and suddenly I'm getting 40+ mbit on wifi to my phone instead of the usual 10 (on a good day while sitting 2 feet away from it).

Never realized just how bad that Verizon-supplied Actiontec router sucked in terms of wifi. Works great as a normal router, has a built-in Gigabit switch, but the wireless part is just terrible. Especially for something with external antennas; the Netgear has internal antennas, and so far both my laptop and mom's desktop (which is on wifi for now) have far better speeds.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Mar 7, 2015

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Go buy yourself an ubiquiti unifi AP. They have awesome coverage. I have one standard that covers my entire house, garden, garage and the road outside.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
John Wick is a drat good movie. What a hell of a body count!

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

Don't know it, but I did watch Wyrmwood recently. taking it at face value I found it hilarious.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

wallaka posted:

Sounds a lot like my grandmother except mine REALLY liked a drink... I recall the one time at Christmas where she thought it'd be hilarious to dress up as santa because she'd had a few brandies and she was right. I'd never seen her laugh so hard in my life, every single time she'd say "ho ho ho!" she'd burst into a laughing fit.

It's been about 17 years or so now since she passed away, it'll get easier dude, just know she wouldn't want you to be sad about it.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

West SAAB Story posted:

Grandpa Viggen passed away about an hour ago.
My condolences. I'm lucky that I've only lost one so far but he was the most AI of them all. He passed away when I was in Germany last year and I found out via Facebook while having breakfast. Made it half way to work then came around a corner and saw a huge BMW roundel (He Loved BMW's) on the side of a building and fell apart. Pulled down some side road and just sat there for a while.

Neighbor kids (high school) came over yesterday afternoon to let me know they were going to have people over and let them know if they got too loud instead of calling the cops. Apparently sitting reving your car and blasting music out of your lovely subs is something people do at parties now...wtf. Beer cans all over their yard and the street and it looks like someone got rear ended, headlight and taillight pieces all over the road.

First cars and coffee of the season, it's 26 degrees. M5 doesn't have insurance, M3 is still tucked away and gently caress pulling it out for a cold day like this, 320i has no exhaust and the 928 doesn't have heat. Oh well there's free donuts/coffee and I need to ask the shop that's hosting it about some stuff.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

For some reason I had a dream that I bumped into my ex-girlfriend who broke up with me over text and never saw again. In the dream she wanted to have coffee with me and explain why she broke up with me or something and it was really weird because I haven't seen this bitch in five years. I guess my brain was flushing all my memories because we went to the hookah place we went to on our first date and basically everything went somewhat similar to how it was IRL.

Edit: all of my grandparents died when I was young, and I never saw them much because my dads lived in Arizona then Colorado and my mums parents lived in Michigan. im always kind of jelly of people who don't have older parents (mine are 70 and 60) because then they had time to get to know their grandparents :smith:

Edit2: sweet, thanks for the link STR, I'll forward it to my MIL

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 7, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

its mine.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Cat Terrist posted:

Best action movie of 2014 in my opinion.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jealous. That will likely be one of my first purchases after we move. I don't have any need to weld, but I want to learn just because.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Tide posted:

Jealous. That will likely be one of my first purchases after we move. I don't have any need to weld, but I want to learn just because.

Thank you.

I am going to be doing quite a bit of body work soon, so I wanted to buy one now and get to practicing. I know its only 110, but after talking to SiF, it will most likely do 90% of what I will ever need it to do. My future father in law has a muffler shop with a big 240v Miller if I really need to get into heavy duty stuff. But even then, most car frames aren't much over 1/8" thick, so it will do every thing I need it to do.

Next on the list is a plasma cutter, but that's a ways off. Planning on buying a house late this year, figure I can get get a ton of work done now though. Body work isn't super expensive, its just going to be lots of cutting and fiddling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

angryhampster posted:

Best action movie of 2014 in my opinion.

Someone didn't go to see The Raid 2... :black101:

• Locked thread