Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Using Break still gives EXP proportional to damage dealt beforehand, though, which is why no one ever uses it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

Using Break still gives EXP proportional to damage dealt beforehand, though, which is why no one ever uses it. :v:

You have to use it on human enemies and it's not like you do damage to things when you're going for a petrify, anyway.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

with new game+ tales of symphonia has settings that support low level runs (less xp per monster, or even a setting where you can directly influence how much xp you get) and there is even a small unlock for getting to a certain boss at a low level

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

Last Remnant, maybe?

Depends on how low you're talking, but there is a super low rank exploit you can use to completely break the game. Basically causing your stats to skyrocket out of control by fighting enemies much harder than you while your chain count is above 200. Or something to that effect anyway.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

You have to use it on human enemies and it's not like you do damage to things when you're going for a petrify, anyway.

Yeah, this. Its only real use is on unavoidable fights that you can't use Card on, which is pretty much entirely human enemies.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh screw it, I am getting Oreshika after I get home.

And I need to complete Atelier E&L this week too for the next game...

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 5, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

Christ I hope nothing like that happens cause I've been digging Oreshika like crazy. Finally a game with family trees as a mechanic that isn't creepy as gently caress or awful.

fire emblem: genealogy of holy war

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Dragon Quest...V I think

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Tae posted:

Dragon Quest...V I think

DQ5 was a bit less so since you had 3 possible wives and I think the only effect they had on the kids was the hair color.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Final Fantasy VIII is pretty much built on keeping your levels low. But it's so breakable, a low level run is probably easier than if you ground levels up. Aside from the beginning, where dodging EXP gains is a little more difficult.

I somehow got to Lv. 100 in that game without even trying to. Still wiped the floor with the final boss.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Endorph posted:

fire emblem: genealogy of holy war

i already covered awful sorry.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
crusader kings 2

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I really wish Romance of the Three Kingdoms would come back in proper form, especially in the style of 7, 8, and 10 which were all about your officers and their relationships.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

i already covered awful sorry.
gently caress you, trolls

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Has anyone here played Adventure Bar Story? It looks like a total clone of the DS Atelier games but has pretty positive reviews from the few people who have played it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Francis posted:

Has anyone here played Adventure Bar Story? It looks like a total clone of the DS Atelier games but has pretty positive reviews from the few people who have played it.

Whoa, I've never heard of this game, but it looks great. Looks like a really good GBA RPG.

EDIT:
Oh and hey it's on iOS and 3DS.

Unmature fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 6, 2015

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's just another game with crappy F2P mechanics made for cellphones, the only advantage it has is the dialog doesn't read as machine translated and the sprites don't look exactly like RPG maker ones.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
It's been on my iPhone for literally around 2 years and I have yet to open it because iOS RPG's are always the lowest priority games on my to-play list. That's my review.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Francis posted:

Unmature posted:

Whoa, I've never heard of this game, but it looks great. Looks like a really good GBA RPG.

EDIT:
Oh and hey it's on iOS and 3DS.

It's totally a cell phone game, but it's good as a cell phone game. It's basically the cooking system from Harvest Moon Friends of Mineral Town where you sell the food combined with a simple turned based battle system.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, do we know if it is Tecmo Koei that is localizing Atelier Shallie, or NISA?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Unlucky7 posted:

So, do we know if it is Tecmo Koei that is localizing Atelier Shallie, or NISA?

NISA are just helping them with the limited edition. That being said, it's probably the same outside translation group that did Eschatology and Ayesha.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

kirbysuperstar posted:

NISA are just helping them with the limited edition. That being said, it's probably the same outside translation group that did Eschatology and Ayesha.

Hm. I will be getting it anyway, but that is sort of disappointing. E&L was serviceable, but nothing more.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i hope tk is tightening down on them after how much was up with eschatology

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I remember them talking about cracking down on blatant errors right after Eschatology came out, but who knows if anything will come of that.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They still have yet to patch the English voices in Ayesha so I doubt it.

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom
What are some good rpgs on the psp?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Tactics Ogre:LUCT, Jeanne D'arc, all the PSX RPG's, P3P (allegedly, I can't vouch for it).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
That said, the E&L translation team gets points for the halfway point trophy name.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yggdra union and riviera

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Tactics Ogre:LUCT, Jeanne D'arc, all the PSX RPG's, P3P (allegedly, I can't vouch for it).

you can list more than two games before going to psx games, psp has lots of games.

also get growlanser iv, the legend of heroes: trails in the sky, yggdra union, ys seven and zettai hero project

Unmature
May 9, 2008
When you count PSP, PSOne Classic and Vita titles, the Vita has the greatest RPG library of all time. Thousands of hours right there just in old RPGs.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

How are the Android ports of the Dragon Quest games? Kinda interested in giving one of them a go but don't wanna get hosed around by bad controls or DRM; are they more/less playable than FF:Dimensions?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Cake Attack posted:

you can list more than two games before going to psx games, psp has lots of games.

also get growlanser iv, the legend of heroes: trails in the sky, yggdra union, ys seven and zettai hero project

My greatest crime is that I forgot TitS. It's really quite good.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Not off to a good start.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFMeHDXQh1U

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

gently caress you and your 5 billion mandatory Highlander encounters L'Renouille

mpyro
Feb 9, 2003

'Cause I live and breathe this Fillydelphia freedom

bloodychill posted:

No strategy games please. Played most of the psx rpgs on the psx.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

mpyro posted:

What are some good rpgs on the psp?

Trails in the Sky, it's a bit more RPG than strategy. Riviera's pretty good, and Hexyz Force is worth the 5-7 bucks it costs when it goes on sale.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Elminage is pretty cool if you are into those type of games

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Overminty posted:

gently caress you and your 5 billion mandatory Highlander encounters L'Renouille

It's a bit of a pain, but it makes sense that if anywhere's gonna be crawling with Highland troops, it would be there.

Good for leveling too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.
I just remembered Wild Arms exists and I've never played any of them. I know 5 is terrible, but whats the best one.