Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BossRighteous posted:

God forbid the thread actually talk about people, or money.

Yeah, let's keep it to tipping, car buying, and driving in snow. (I recommend you move to a place where you don't have to do any of the three).

22 y/o male making 35k a year, can I afford a house?

Some more background of me. I work in Charlotte NC making 35k a year, I have a dog so some vet bills, I have no gf although I will probably will have one in the future, I'm not gunna blow money on her left and right but I'm sure you understand. and other than those things I am extremely frugal and hate spending money. My sister, who I could rent to, could help pay for the mortgage. I am just having no luck finding a good rental property and figured I might explore other alternatives. I have 6k in the bank as savings but that's about it other than some stocks which I have 3.2k in. I would rather not liquidate my stocks if I can help it but I am in a secure job in a company owned by family friends who actually recommended to me that I try and buy a house. And I think it would be a better investment than just paying for somebody else's mortgage. If you need any other information feel free to ask, I want to hear everybody's thoughts.

Most of the comments say "you can't afford it, but even if you could, you probably shouldn't"

Then some other idiot says
Depends where you live. In my city there are totally decent houses starting at $50k, depending on what you want. A 15 year mortgage with 5% down has low PMI premiums that go away in less than 3 years. With insurance and taxes its cheaper than renting. If you can find something close to Charlotte at a low price, it could be financially beneficial to buy.

Sure, wipe out your savings to buy a $50k house! You probably wouldn't need to have a cash cushion for maintenance on a $50k house anyway, it's not like it's a $20k house!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I bought my home in Charlotte while making less money. While s/he probably could afford it, s/he definitely shouldn't.

He (or she) needs to look harder, there's a ton of homes for rent in Charlotte.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 5, 2015

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

pig slut lisa posted:

Not to derail, but I think this might only apply to posters like you. I've been very fortunate (through some crazy coincidences) to be able to give some good advice to people in this thread in the past. Maybe a good strategy for you would be trying to post more like I do?

lol

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

the littlest prince posted:

I second the "don't post about yourself" rule.

I disagree. People should be free to post about themselves in this thread. Just don't expect anyone to think you're good with money if you do.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

the littlest prince posted:

This might be some kind of meta-joke that's flying over my head

it's

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.
Does anyone have a link to that story about the guy who worked with a girl who thought credit cards were literally free money? They were colleagues at a bar or shop or something and he had to take her in the back room and sit her at a computer and show her online that she'd have to pay back the thousands she'd racked up. She had always gone on about how she couldn't understand why people didn't put all their bills on their card and he just assumed she was joking.

I think it might have been from the "reasons I no longer desire to work in retail" thread.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

jaymeekae posted:

Does anyone have a link to that story about the guy who worked with a girl who thought credit cards were literally free money? They were colleagues at a bar or shop or something and he had to take her in the back room and sit her at a computer and show her online that she'd have to pay back the thousands she'd racked up. She had always gone on about how she couldn't understand why people didn't put all their bills on their card and he just assumed she was joking.

I think it might have been from the "reasons I no longer desire to work in retail" thread.

It's definitely been posted in here, cause I've seen it before and I don't read the retail thread.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

pig slut lisa posted:

and I don't read the retail thread.

that's a shame, since the poverty thread is kind of like a petting zoo version of this thread

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

http://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/2y166l/i_28f_found_out_that_a_friend_29f_owes_thousands/

quote:

So here's the backstory: there are about 8 people in my current group of close friends.

One of the girls, Katie, is a little irresponsible with money. She used to be a high flyer a few years ago so she developed a taste of expensive bags, clothes and frequent trips to Europe. We thought all was well because she seemed to be earning a lot at the time. However, she lost her job but managed to find another one, albeit in a lower-paying position.

After that we seldom saw her, because she always said she was busy working and didn't have time to meet us. Which was fine, except that she privately told me she had tens of thousands in credit card debt, and the banks/debt collectors were hounding her so she had no choice but to take the lower-paying job. After paying her debts and basic expenses, she'd barely have enough for entertainment, so I'd offer to pay for her if she came out with us.

This went on a while, until she started asking for loans from me for various issues she had (medical issues, paying rent, etc) and I didn't mind helping her. At one point she stopped paying me back, and I very directly told her that I needed her to pay me back on time like she promised (whenever she gets her pay) or else I wouldn't be able to help her in future. After that incident, our friendship was a little strained but for the next few loans, she always paid me back promptly on time.

Now, all this time, I had never told anyone else about her debt troubles because I figured that she had told me in confidence, and she wouldn't want anyone else to know. So throughout the years, I didn't say anything to anyone and just quietly lent her money when she needed it.

Recently, she declared that she needed to take a trip for the sake of her mental health because her stressful job was driving her crazy. She had been banking on a big company bonus in order to afford a trip to Europe. However, she didn't get the bonus on time and she was very worried about affording her trip.

I made the stupid mistake of mentioning I had set aside about $2K for a trip I'm planning in the summer, and I don't mind lending it to her as long as I get the money back by the time she gets her bonus (which is before summer). So she promises to pay me back and goes on her trip to Europe.

The other night, the rest of our group were hanging out and drinking, and we were talking about Katie being in Europe and all the pictures she was posting on Facebook. Suddenly, someone blurted out that they had lent Katie a lot of money so they hoped to get it back when she comes home. After that, the floodgates broke. Almost EVERYONE came forward and said Katie borrowed money from them and failed to repay the loan. I was the only one she repaid diligently on time because of the 'stern talk' I had with her. The worst off person was our friend Mike who had lent her about $3K a few years ago, and she has never paid him back despite several company bonuses having come and gone. Mike admitted that he was infuriated to see Katie going on expensive trips while she still owed him money, but he didn't want to split up our group by fighting with her.

Now almost everyone is either angry at Katie, and/or worried we're not going to get our money back. She will still be in Europe for another two weeks, so we still have time to figure out whether we should talk to her.

Does Katie deserve another chance?

TLDR: Guy [edit: sorry, girl] lends friend $2k to go on holiday, even though she has previously borrowed money and failed to repay it, and has admitted tens of thousands of dollars of credit card debt. Turns out she's borrowed money off everyone in friendship group, including $3k from one guy who has never seen it back.

jaymeekae fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 6, 2015

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Katie must be really hot.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Celador posted:

Katie must be really hot.

Beat me to it

Sounds like everyone in this friend group is a doormat.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Why in the world would you lend 2k to someone who's told you that they're "tens of thousands" in credit card debt.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Katie sounds like shes great with money actually

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Nail Rat posted:

Why in the world would you lend 2k to someone who's told you that they're "tens of thousands" in credit card debt.

Either it's a nerd social fallacies thing or a desperately trying to get laid thing

Either way this group of people is super dumb

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Not a Children posted:

Either it's a nerd social fallacies thing or a desperately trying to get laid thing

The OP (the one who let her borrow 2k) is also a girl but I guess that's possible.

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

Nail Rat posted:

The OP (the one who let her borrow 2k) is also a girl but I guess that's possible.

Ah yeah my bad, I wrote guy in my TLDR but it said F in her headline. Also the one who initially brought up the conversation is also a girl. It makes no sense. They must all be loaded.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Not a Children posted:

Either way this group of people is super dumb

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a nerd social fallacies thing. While I don't think I was ever this dumb, I did have a friend who quite often was 'too broke' to go out. She seemed pretty sincere and regretful she couldn't make it due to her financial situation, so sometimes I'd just cover the cost because, ya know, that's what friends do. It's not like she was mooching off me every weekend, just every once in a while she'd have no money and I'd just pay for the cinema tickets or whatever. I can definitely see that stacking up across the years, though it sounds like that persons friends went a step further and directly funded her lifestyle.

For reference, the aforementioned friendship sort of petered out on it's own. The 'I'm broke' act wore a bit thin when it became apparent she wasn't broke, she just had different priorities to the rest of the group.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
An argument on about MLMs

And of course the person calling that dude ignorant lists her employment as "It Works"
http://www.myitworks.com/

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Knyteguy posted:

An argument on about MLMs

And of course the person calling that dude ignorant lists her employment as "It Works"
http://www.myitworks.com/

LMAO https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjz5qImHtdc

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

What don't you want to be a Wrapreneur? Look how happy that lady in the video is it's obviously foolproof.

Here's another bad with money (... or something) I just found:

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Bad with money is using this guy's financial adviser (or most financial advisers):

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=160071

quote:

I have been with the same adviser since 2010. I'm over 50, by a couple years only. I'm concerned I'm not getting a good enough return, but I don't want to move my portfolio without knowing for sure if my accounts are under-performing with this adviser. I have seen equities go up and up but not so my portfolio. Here are a few details:
Portfolio size: mid 6 figure
mix (all mutual funds): 50% equities, 14% asset allocation, 3% real estate, 33% bonds
accounts are with Schwab
Here is the number that concerns me: after 5 years (2010-2015) the entire portfolio is up only 15%. Given that the Dow is up 72%, the S&P 85%, and the Nasdaq 110% I am wondering why my portfolio is not up at least 40%.

He basically lost a couple hundred thousand dollars in returns over the last 5 years because of his lovely adviser.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
A P2P loan came up in the market. A couple wants to borrow $16750 to purchase a boat. They have a monthly income of $8000 and the repayment would only be $447 per month for 5 years. Yet they only have a credit grade of C5.

What does this all mean? They building boat equity by paying 20.03% interest. So naturally to be good with money I've contributed $25 towards the loan.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Devian666 posted:

A P2P loan came up in the market. A couple wants to borrow $16750 to purchase a boat. They have a monthly income of $8000 and the repayment would only be $447 per month for 5 years. Yet they only have a credit grade of C5.

What does this all mean? They building boat equity by paying 20.03% interest. So naturally to be good with money I've contributed $25 towards the loan.

That's really bad with money (on your part and theirs). That is not a loan I would have backed. I only go in for debt/cc consol loans, April put a really good guide to not having defaulted loans in the P2P loan thread.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I wish I would have saved it, but there was a Facebook post in one of the local community groups today from a lady asking for fundraiser ideas so that she and her husband could afford to buy a house after renting the house from a landlord for the past 16 years. "We can finally afford to buy the house, but there a lot of other expenses that we need help with. Please give me some fun ideas for fundraisers to come up with the rest of the money!"

Every post after that was pretty much "WTF are you thinking" and "if you need fundraisers to afford to buy a house, you can't afford to buy a house". She got pissy and deleted it within 15 minutes or so. Can't wait to see her next post in 5 months "Help, we're being evicted because we can't pay the mortgage!"

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Bloody Queef posted:

That's really bad with money (on your part and theirs). That is not a loan I would have backed. I only go in for debt/cc consol loans, April put a really good guide to not having defaulted loans in the P2P loan thread.

I know. I have a small percentage of loans that fall into the not that great category. Most of the loans i dismiss are unspecified, holidays and even weddings. I fully expect they will end up cutting their boat in half in about 4-5 years. Don't worry I have read the p2p thread in detail.

e: Also think about buying a boat with no money down at credit card rates.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 6, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

DJCobol posted:

I wish I would have saved it, but there was a Facebook post in one of the local community groups today from a lady asking for fundraiser ideas so that she and her husband could afford to buy a house after renting the house from a landlord for the past 16 years. "We can finally afford to buy the house, but there a lot of other expenses that we need help with. Please give me some fun ideas for fundraisers to come up with the rest of the money!"

Every post after that was pretty much "WTF are you thinking" and "if you need fundraisers to afford to buy a house, you can't afford to buy a house". She got pissy and deleted it within 15 minutes or so. Can't wait to see her next post in 5 months "Help, we're being evicted because we can't pay the mortgage!"

I'm paying my mortgage with a long term fundraiser in which I'm exchanging my time and talents to a company for cash over the course of many years.

I know this couple who wanted to adopt their second kid. He had just graduated from a third tier law school and had a hard time finding work. They held a "fundraiser dinner" and invited all their also broke, young family friends to it to raise money for the adoption fees.

I guess that's more "tacky with money".

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
It took me a second to figure out why a couple was trying to adopt a lawyer.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Having an adopted lawyer is good with money. Just pay the adoption fees and you can badger them into giving you free legal advice forever, because it's for family!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Zo posted:

that's a shame, since the poverty thread is kind of like a petting zoo version of this thread

your a real classy goon.

OatmealRocks
Jul 6, 2006
Burrp!
Someone the other day was telling me the next financial crises will be with car loans. His explanation was everyone these days are approved for cars well beyond their means and it will be a duplicate of what has happened to the financial market. He also states there will be another housing crash.

Personally I have no idea as his concept might be a little out there. I will say though living in Miami, there are a lot of fancy cars. I'm almost ashamed to say my car budget is more fancy that practical. However my justification is I am boring. I rarely go out, don't drink alcohol and pirate way too many movies to view at home. SO my vice is my car and that is about it. However I do have 2 roommates which supplements my mortgage payments.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

hacker news, the new reddit posted:

crpatino 1 hour ago

Cut expenses, payoff debt, increase savings... on principle. Then when you see the first early warnings, do the same but twice as hard.
I am well on track to pay the mortage in 4 years instead of the standard 20, have probably 6 months of expenses in the bank, plus another 2-3 months of expenses in a different account because the wife has begin to have funny ideas about what to do with the extra cash. (I have already threaten that I will rather quit before she goes and blows up the war chest in some stupid vacation or something, but still so much for constant vigilance). While I am nowhere near as ready to be let go as of today, I know I will be landing on my two feet if that were to happen.
Great relationship advice, bro? :confused:

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

OatmealRocks posted:

Someone the other day was telling me the next financial crises will be with car loans. His explanation was everyone these days are approved for cars well beyond their means and it will be a duplicate of what has happened to the financial market. He also states there will be another housing crash.
It's been in the news lately.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

OatmealRocks posted:

Personally I have no idea as his concept might be a little out there. I will say though living in Miami, there are a lot of fancy cars. I'm almost ashamed to say my car budget is more fancy that practical. However my justification is I am boring. I rarely go out, don't drink alcohol and pirate way too many movies to view at home. SO my vice is my car and that is about it. However I do have 2 roommates which supplements my mortgage payments.

All I know is that if you have good credit, it's crazy cheap to borrow money for a car nowadays. When my wife and I were looking recently, we quickly found that we would be able to get less than 2% without incentive financing.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Powerlurker posted:

All I know is that if you have good credit, it's crazy cheap to borrow money for a car nowadays. When my wife and I were looking recently, we quickly found that we would be able to get less than 2% without incentive financing.
I can confirm this. My wife and I just bought a brand new Subaru a few months ago at 1.49% on a 4 year loan.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
The finance lady seemed shocked when I casually offered to put a 2k down payment on my bike. Also a bit surprised when I wasn't concerned with monthly payments, so much as the total cost.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

HerrBrau posted:

I can confirm this. My wife and I just bought a brand new Subaru a few months ago at 1.49% on a 4 year loan.

Same with my wife and a new Nissan last month. We got the .9% incentive financing for a three year note, but even without that, my bank would have given me 1.75 without any problems.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Golluk posted:

The finance lady seemed shocked when I casually offered to put a 2k down payment on my bike. Also a bit surprised when I wasn't concerned with monthly payments, so much as the total cost.

The first time I saw American car commercials I was completely appalled because not once did they actually show the price of the vehicle in any kind of clear manner - they may have put it in the fine print, but you would have to have paused it to actually found it. Like, I know that America as a whole has a debt problem, but when advertisers are directly approaching with the attitude of "you don't even need to know ho much it costs, but let's see if you can afford the payments" it explains a lot.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Powerlurker posted:

Same with my wife and a new Nissan last month. We got the .9% incentive financing for a three year note, but even without that, my bank would have given me 1.75 without any problems.

:aaaaa:

Maybe I should look into one of these refinancing deals all these banks are sending me. I feel like I'm being ripped off at my credit union at 4.5% interest now.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Breetai posted:

The first time I saw American car commercials I was completely appalled because not once did they actually show the price of the vehicle in any kind of clear manner - they may have put it in the fine print, but you would have to have paused it to actually found it. Like, I know that America as a whole has a debt problem, but when advertisers are directly approaching with the attitude of "you don't even need to know ho much it costs, but let's see if you can afford the payments" it explains a lot.

It's even better. They advertise monthly payments for zero money down leases :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
The best car commercials are on the radio. They prey directly on the poor and desperate, and advertise no credit checks, guaranteed financing, and/or how little you need to give them to drive away with the vehicle.

• Locked thread