Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
So I just got my Chinese counterfeits a while ago and I figured I would post about them. Got them pretty quick in about ~2 weeks(DHL), and it was all the cards that were advertised.

As real cards:
These things can be told apart from real cards fairly easily. I would say the Chinese are making some of the best proxies, but these things still have to go a long way before fooling anyone who takes the time to look and feel.

As proxies:
As I said these are some of the best proxies out there. The closest at home method is the transparency method, but the transparency method takes a ton of work and has big issues. If you want proxies that look great and "pop", then these Chinese counterfeits are perfect. I would buy these again in a heartbeat. At $1 per card (or $1.50 if you want fast shipping) I don't think you can do better. The quality is just beyond anything you can do at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Got any pictures?

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007

Null1fy posted:

Got any pictures?

With the quality of picture my phone could take you couldn't really see any detail. MTG lion has some youtubes of these cards though.

Gorrister
May 14, 2014

Alaan posted:

Still kind of looking for a WR theme in my pauper cube. I was originally thinking RW Humans which seemed like it should be well supported, but is pretty eeeh. Obviously plenty of humans, but not a ton that cares about humans. Suggestions?

RW can make a sweet tokens deck
Consider cards like:
Purphoros, hordeling outburst, midnight haunting, assemble the legions

Edit: I'm an idiot its pauper. imho the tokens is still doable with like war flare, trumpet blast, outburst, mog war marshall

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
I did it, I calculated how much its going to cost to build this cube. Even with these proxies I'm looking at $1000.

Maybe it would have been better if I just built it slowly rather than look at that number directly. Goons want share the value of your cube?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Everything that's not proxied, factoring in foils and promos and whatnot, comes to about $4200-4300 for mine.

And my dream of a fully foiled cube is still a LONG way away :negative:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Xeom posted:

Maybe it would have been better if I just built it slowly rather than look at that number directly. Goons want share the value of your cube?

My cube is only around $600-700, but it's modern and limited to two blocks. Regarding the proxies, how bad is the smell?

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Xeom posted:

My cube is a modern singleton multiplayer cube that was just expanded to 7 players and is still only $300, with foils and no proxies.

It's not the most powerful cube in the world but it was fun to put together and it's fun to play!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Everything that's not proxied, factoring in foils and promos and whatnot, comes to about $4200-4300 for mine.

And my dream of a fully foiled cube is still a LONG way away :negative:

I don't even want to think about it. Between power and foils, its upsetting for sure.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I don't even want to think about it. Between power and foils, its upsetting for sure.

Yeah I've gotten a few big hitters like Emrakul foiled, but I haven't even touched big stuff like Tarmogoyf or Vendilion Clique or Dark Confidant.....

All told I have about 160 of the 600 cards as foils and/or promos. I have a LONG way to go.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

It's the random stuff that gets you man, foil Enlightened Tutor is like 70 bucks.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
I can't imagine trying to foil out a cube now. I lucked out and managed to hit the tail end of legacy/modern foils being anything approaching "reasonable" when I decided to foil out my 540 cube. And even then it was $300 goyf/jtms and $200 rishadan port, which is only reasonable because the prices have just jumped.

But even with it being fully foiled now, I'm using CE power/duals, because that poo poo would be absurd to get otherwise. All the dumb $40-$80 cards really get annoying though

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I have proxies in for P9, Gaea's Cradle, Library of Alexandria, and the 10 original Duals. Everything else is real. I do plan to get real duals and cradle, but I'll leave in the others.

I have stuff like JTMS and a lot of Modern stuff. Some stuff got easier this year, I'm looking for a GP Griselbrand to use instead of a pack foil. But yeah....it's gonna suck, but the up side is the foil prices are a lot less volatile than the normal ones, they tend to stay more stable after a reprint too if that happens for some stuff.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

My power is Unlimited copies I was picking up as I looked to get into vintage/collectors edition.

I don't know how I will ever get a Lotus now, the price climbs faster than I can save for it.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Even all the $20ish foils add up. I'm pretty much done with sub ten bux foils but after that it gets expensive fast. I recently compiled a list of cards I'm interested in proxying up (all over $100, I think) and it was around fifteen cards. And yet my 375 cube is still around $5000; thread title never change, as it will always be the most accurate description of cube. I guess it could be: The most expensive free (and fun!) magic money can buy.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
They smell new and fresh, but not like magic cards.

Do any of you guys ever take your cubes out of your homes? Anybody ballsy enough to game with it at your lgs?

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Mine's at about $8,000 in value right now. I use collectors edition P9, duals and some others.

I bring it to comic shops and buddy's houses all of the time. I also have a Cube Vault which gives me a sense of security, but I trust my playgroups that I bring it to, so I don't ever really worry about anyone walking off with a Judge Cradle or something.

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago
Yeah, I'll bring mine to a couple regular shops, but for obvious reasons will usually only run it with people I know (and in some cases people they vouch for). I'm a lot less likely to bring it to a higher traffic shop though.

Gorrister
May 14, 2014

Xeom posted:

They smell new and fresh, but not like magic cards.

Do any of you guys ever take your cubes out of your homes? Anybody ballsy enough to game with it at your lgs?

One of my buds who works at an lgs was running cube fnms for a bit. It worked out ok for him, surprisingly.

I should mention were in a smallish city so everyone that goes to the shop is kinda familiar, but he has some security measures still.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Xeom posted:

I work really closely with my LGS and have a key so I've no problem taking my Cube there after hours, locking the door and having some beers while we play cube.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Xeom posted:

Sometimes when we don't have enough people to draft, or something goes fucky, a dude at our lgs brings his cube. Sanctioned cube with prize support is very good, and not enough people to draft ensures it's a small group of regulars anyway.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If I want to do some kitchen table drafting, is it possible to make a solid cube for like 3-6 players? Would it be too hard to balance it for my high end and low end player bases?

Basically I've got a group who really likes the on the spot deck building element of Dominion and I think drafting from a cube would be a fun way to get them interested in Magic. They have tended to be on the overwhelmed side previously when playing around with some of my other decks, and my thinking is that they would enjoy it a bit more if they saw all the cards laid out in front of them ala Dominion (so I guess I would do a rotisserie draft, at least to start). So hopefully there would be enough variety to keep them interested, but not so much information as to overwhelm them.

e: I think the perceived level playing level field of everyone picking from the same pool, and the control that goes along with that would be pretty big pluses for them too.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 2, 2015

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

T-Bone posted:

If I want to do some kitchen table drafting, is it possible to make a solid cube for like 3-6 players? Would it be too hard to balance it for my high end and low end player bases?

Basically I've got a group who really likes the on the spot deck building element of Dominion and I think drafting from a cube would be a fun way to get them interested in Magic. They have tended to be on the overwhelmed side previously when playing around with some of my other decks, and my thinking is that they would enjoy it a bit more if they saw all the cards laid out in front of them ala Dominion (so I guess I would do a rotisserie draft, at least to start). So hopefully there would be enough variety to keep them interested, but not so much information as to overwhelm them.

e: I think the perceived level playing level field of everyone picking from the same pool, and the control that goes along with that would be pretty big pluses for them too.

You might like another game: 7 Wonders.

For magic, if they're new to the game, you might just have to start with something 'simple' like choosing mostly Core Set cards. For me, Cube is fun because of the power level of the cards and being able to build a cohesive deck out of what's available to draft (i.e. taking what comes and finding the synergies). Try using mostly Core Set cards (single color cards go in most decks, vanilla creatures are easy to understand). Rotisserie draft can be pretty overwhelming though...In Dominion you only really have to choose from something like 13 or 15 card choices; each Magic pack starts with that many unique cards, whereas Rotisserie presents well perhaps up to 15*5*3 cards. It can take a long time to draft and it's tough on new players (not that I would have an easy time). You could draft each pack of 15 separately and face up instead (rotate who chooses first); that can kind of be fun.

Maybe you want something like combined sealed + draft? There's a format that the local store plays where you get 3 packs, open them and review, then draft 3 more packs in a normal draft environment; your pool is the draft result + those 3 packs. It's pretty swingy based on what you open (it's sealed), but at least you have some idea of where you might want to go with the draft (Opened red cards? Take some more!) as opposed to trying to decide from scratch. Maybe something like 3 sealed packs + 1 or 2 pack/player Rotisserie?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
7 Wonders rules they like that too :)

I like your second idea, thanks. The more I think of it a full cube would definitely be overwhelming at first (although really fun for me to build :o ). It's going to be about giving them jussst enough control to keep them happy and jussst enough information not to overwhelm them.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Build a Core Set draft simulator (4 commons, 2 commons, 1 rare) and use M15, M14, etc. I'd aim for like 360 cards. If they love it, keep it around intact and build yourselves a cube. My playgroup is exclusively people who stopped playing around 1998 or so and my wife who hasn't really played much at all. I have a full blown cube, and everyone seems to be okay with the difficulty curve. Of course, my cube isn't powered yet, and I'm still working on it. It's first iteration was heavy on Khans and Fate Reforged, since that was the bulk of the cards I have since getting back into magic.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
Dragons so far for cube: two sweet red one drops, Narset for some lists, and a couple other potentials? Am I overlooking anything? Seems fairly weak but I suppose I can't really complain after small set FRF gifted so much. And those red one drops are just so good at getting red aggro to the required mass of one drops.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Depends on the power level of your cube. I think the UW command probably fits into unpowered cubes, since it's a really nice one vs monored for uw/x control.

As you scale back more stuff opens up. Atarka's command is super nice but probably doesn't fit into tighter cubes that don't run much multicolor.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

I'm thinking of trying the megamorph that regrowths something.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
In comboless cubes, what kinds of decks are usually interested in Chrome Mox/Mox Diamond? I never know when the acceleration is worth the card disadvantage. I would think in aggro, but mulliganing is so bad for aggro.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Maha posted:

In comboless cubes, what kinds of decks are usually interested in Chrome Mox/Mox Diamond? I never know when the acceleration is worth the card disadvantage. I would think in aggro, but mulliganing is so bad for aggro.
Chrome Mox is good in anything because it's universal ramp, and pumping out that One Big SpellTM a turn earlier is always good (so long as you have something worth putting out early).

Diamond is similarly good, though I find it tends to be favored more in aggro/midrange than control.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Aston posted:

I'm thinking of trying the megamorph that regrowths something.

You mean AXE MOM?

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Pontius Pilate posted:

Dragons so far for cube: two sweet red one drops, Narset for some lists, and a couple other potentials? Am I overlooking anything? Seems fairly weak but I suppose I can't really complain after small set FRF gifted so much. And those red one drops are just so good at getting red aggro to the required mass of one drops.

For me:

Definite: Zurgo

Most Likely: Thunderbreak Regent

Possible: Axe Mom, Ghost Anafenza, Silumagar Assassin

Wishful/Possible: Sidisi Undead (Tutor is just really powerful; this just depends reviewing the curve and seeing if there's room)

What are people's includes from Fate Reforged?

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
if I've already got duals and fetchs how do people feel about fast lands as my 3rd cycle? I know the usual is shocks, but I feel like fasts would be better most of the time.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Xeom posted:

if I've already got duals and fetchs how do people feel about fast lands as my 3rd cycle? I know the usual is shocks, but I feel like fasts would be better most of the time.

What are fast lands?

Its almost always fetches + duals/shocks b/c they interact so well:
one fetch can get multiple different lands so you can either tutor for your one main two-color dual or your splash dual;
duals/shocks are the best as they always can come into play untapped unlike every other conditional land

For me, its:
fetches/shocks/duals
manlands/scrylands (if there were enemy color manlands, this would be 10x manlands)
'other' (stripmine, mutavault, treetop village if you want to put them in this category instead of in green, etc...)

ravnica bounce lands are also good, but super midrangey; some cubes also vary which color pair gets which (non-shock/dual) two color land (ie RW gets the pain land b/c you always need the mana for aggro and the cost doesnt matter, whereas GB gets the bounce land b/c its mana intensive large spells/creatures, whereas BW gets the filter land b/c of mana intensive costs)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fast lands are from mirrodin besieged and I love them.

I wish they'd finish a cycle of enemy neo man lands and fast lands though. I only run two of the newer manlands but I really like them.

And yeah I agree with breaking up cycles. The shadowmoor lands are nice for some color combos, too.

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

For me:

Kolaghan's Command, Zurgo Bellstriker, and Sidisi.

And I'm might test Risen Executioner, though I'm not sure if I'd prefer it over something like Liliana's Reaver or Abyssal Persecutor if I were ever to support another aggro 4 drop.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
edit: Ha, now I understand why they are strictly worse. They can't be fetched. I've had assholes fetch scry lands in games against me before.

Xeom fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 10, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

As far as cycles I think you really need the priority is Fetchlands, Duals, Shocks, and then Manlands, unless you're cube is massive I just don't think you're going to be looking for the Scars Fastlands, so many utility lands that would be better use of a slot and with 30 Fetches and Duals you're going to need a massive Cube before you start looking at them for fixing.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I run Fastlands, but I have a 600 card cube, so I really need a very high density of duals to make it work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."
I run a cube that's mid way between a Peasant and Unpowered cube. I don't run premier removal cards (Bolt, Path), Walkers (for now) or the more powerful midrange cards like Thragtusk.

I think I will try out Lightning Berserker, Dragon Whisperer, Anafenza and a few of the Commands. Atarka's Command will be especially good and interesting if Landfall comes back with Battle for Zendikar.

I really like Ire Shaman, Axe Mom and the rest of the 2 drop megamorph cycle too - I might even double up on them. I'm even tempted by Deathmist Raptor, although it's a bit wonky, and by Shorecaster Elemental. Thunderbreak Regent is probably a little bit too strong for the environment I'm trying to build.