Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

mamelon posted:

I think I misused "grinding," then. My impression is that the enemy fights, attack mechanics, and achievement criteria become sort of strict and unforgiving as the game gets harder.

To put it another way, the rigor and steps required for the max rupee glitch seem no different (to me) than the kinds of rituals needed for normal gameplay progression. That's what seems like a grind.

Not saying it's bad, just that it's not for me. BUT in full disclosure I could be misreading things, since I only loosely follow the SA thread and it's sure to not be the general experience for all peeps.

That's absolutely not true as far as the base game is concerned. You don't need to do any grinding or any arcane tedious stuff to beat legend mode and the entire first adventure map. It is not strict or unforgiving, with the hardest maps rewarding good strategy and planning (as well as some amount of technical skill at dodging when it comes to avoiding damage).

In some of the later DLCs it gets murkier where optimal strategies involve getting item powerup potions and spamming light arrows to stunlock everything. That sucks, in my opinion, so I fizzled out and stopped playing in the middle of the Twilight DLC. But until that point, it's completely reasonable and you don't need to grind or do weird tricks to progress at all.

Just buying the base game gets you a long, meaty experience that you will be able to complete without getting bored or frustrated. Then if you want more you can explore the DLC.

In summary, you've misinterpreted what you read in the thread where people are mostly talking about the more recent DLC stuff that doesn't apply to earlier parts of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Cool, I appreciate you making things clearer. Thanks!

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
TL;DR Hyrule Warriors owns.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Hyrule Warriors is really good and the DLC package is mostly good. You're almost certainly going to burn out on the game before you finish all of it, but if your experience ends up being like mine you'll still get a hundred hours out of it before that happens.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Switching gears for a second, I just beat Metroid Prime! :toot: Overall completion percentage 81%. Playtime 19:19. Not bad at all really! Only scan thing I missed was the wasps in the incinerator, apparently. (Those were unique wasps?!)

So, all in all not bad, considering I didn't use a guide at all! Tomorrow it's on to the sequel!

I unironically love the bullshit one-time scans, and fortunately the only rewards for getting them are lore and concept art, both of which can be easily looked up if you want

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Looper posted:

The recurring boss should've been Birdo or Reznor instead of that loser Boom Boom

Yeah, why'd that nerd have to be in both 3D games? And his dumb little sister, too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Looper posted:

I unironically love the bullshit one-time scans, and fortunately the only rewards for getting them are lore and concept art, both of which can be easily looked up if you want

The Ice Bat one is a colossal gently caress-you though, because their scan range isn't much further than their divebomb one.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Ice Bat one is a colossal gently caress-you though, because their scan range isn't much further than their divebomb one.

You can comfortably scan them from below.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

e: never mind, googled it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
So with Tipping Stars, how does the actual tipping system work? I understand that you get stars by completing levels, and that stars can either be spent in the workshop to buy new items to use in levels or to tip to players whose levels you enjoyed, but that makes it sound like stars are a finite thing and it'll be weird if you can't unlock everything in the workshop through the base game and have to resort to making levels to get more stars to buy everything.

So yeah, how does it actually work?

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Switching gears for a second, I just beat Metroid Prime! :toot: Overall completion percentage 81%. Playtime 19:19. Not bad at all really! Only scan thing I missed was the wasps in the incinerator, apparently. (Those were unique wasps?!)

So, all in all not bad, considering I didn't use a guide at all! Tomorrow it's on to the sequel!

In Metroid Prime 2, don't try to be too cautious in the dark world. At first, your health drains at a frightening rate, but rather than waiting for it to slowly tick back to full in the safe zones, look for anything destructable. Those coccoons will give you large health refills.

Until you become more resistant to the atmosphere, most of your visits to the dark world will be heavily signposted by the locations of the safe zones. It also helps to remember the layout of the same places in the light world.

Visitor K
Jan 26, 2007
Is there any way to make a Wii to Wii U transfer and keep all my games on the Wii too? Both consoles have the homebrew channel installed if that helps.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite posted:

So with Tipping Stars, how does the actual tipping system work? I understand that you get stars by completing levels, and that stars can either be spent in the workshop to buy new items to use in levels or to tip to players whose levels you enjoyed, but that makes it sound like stars are a finite thing and it'll be weird if you can't unlock everything in the workshop through the base game and have to resort to making levels to get more stars to buy everything.

So yeah, how does it actually work?

Well you also get stars for completing other people's custom levels, about half of which are straight line star farms. Make any halfway decent level though and you'll find yourself with lots of tips.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Visitor K posted:

Is there any way to make a Wii to Wii U transfer and keep all my games on the Wii too? Both consoles have the homebrew channel installed if that helps.

I think you can do a NAND backup on the Wii and then restore it afterwards.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ChaosArgate posted:

I think you can do a NAND backup on the Wii and then restore it afterwards.

Yeah, that works.

Visitor K
Jan 26, 2007
Awesome, I'll give it a try right now, thanks both of you!

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Wii U disc in the Smash OST has Pac Man's theme which was in Smash 3DS so hopefully Nintendo will give me a full refund on both versions of the game

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Mario 3D World question: Do you really have to beat every level with every character to unlock stuff? If so, is there any way to tell which characters you've beaten a level with?

And what's the deal with the yellow flag on the stats screen? Is that just for getting the tip of the flagpole at the end of the level? Is that required to unlock stuff, too?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sade posted:

Mario 3D World question: Do you really have to beat every level with every character to unlock stuff? If so, is there any way to tell which characters you've beaten a level with?

And what's the deal with the yellow flag on the stats screen? Is that just for getting the tip of the flagpole at the end of the level? Is that required to unlock stuff, too?

Tip of the flagpole.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Sade posted:

Beating every level with every character is strictly a 100% completion thing. In order to unlock the final world you need to get every top of the flagpole, every green star and every stamp. Other than the final world though it's just the green stars that unlock levels (you should try to get to that final world though so you can feel the pain of Champion's Road like the rest of us)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah all you get for beating every level with a character is their stamp (and I think doing it with everyone might get you a star on your save file, I don't really remember)

MTV Crib Death
Jun 21, 2012
I told my fat girlfriend I wanted to bang skinny chicks and now I'm wondering why my relationship is garbage.

Sade posted:

Yes. And if your girlfriend burns out on the game, you can simply carry another idle character with you to the flag pole to speed up completion time. I know this from experience.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Visitor K posted:

Awesome, I'll give it a try right now, thanks both of you!

I think if you ever go to the shop on the Wii, though, it will delete everything again. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Re: Mario 3D completion; once you beat the final boss/every level once (don't remember which), you unlock an addition to the level checklist feature that'll show you what characters have beaten which level.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

jivjov posted:

Re: Mario 3D completion; once you beat the final boss/every level once (don't remember which), you unlock an addition to the level checklist feature that'll show you what characters have beaten which level.

And this answered the last of my questions. Thanks guys.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, that works.

Note that if you enter the Wii Shop on the old Wii it will consider the games on your system unpurchased (the transfer removes the licenses from that console's Wii Shop account) so you won't be able to redownload anything that has been deleted.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Not enough Zelda arguing.
Twilight Princess: I defeated Death mountain yesterday. Sumo wrestling is horrible. :negative: I managed to luck through both encounters. Please tell me that I never have to wrestle again.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Please Nintendo, release all the Gamecube Sonic games.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

Not enough Zelda arguing.
Twilight Princess: I defeated Death mountain yesterday. Sumo wrestling is horrible. :negative: I managed to luck through both encounters. Please tell me that I never have to wrestle again.

I seem to recall a wrestling miniboss in the dungeon and something in the snow place, but they weren't matches like the tutorial and the Goron wrestling.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What do we know so far about Zelda for Wii U? I know it's suppose to be very open world, making it sound like there will be less of a focus on puzzles? The dungeons will probably still be puzzle heavy though.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

I said come in! posted:

What do we know so far about Zelda for Wii U? I know it's suppose to be very open world, making it sound like there will be less of a focus on puzzles? The dungeons will probably still be puzzle heavy though.

Epona will never collide into trees.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Anime Curator posted:

Please Sega, release a Chao Garden game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A Chao Garden game in 2015 would be a mobile F2P nightmare. It should have happened five years ago on the DS.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Link can glide with a parachute in it, too. The open world Mario looks around wind waker size actually, just stems a lot bigger since it's land. We'll see if the land pet "square" is as empty as the ocean was though.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

zolthorg posted:

I seem to recall a wrestling miniboss in the dungeon and something in the snow place, but they weren't matches like the tutorial and the Goron wrestling.

There was a semi wrestling miniboss in death mountain with a huge Goron, but is was much better.

Visitor K
Jan 26, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

Note that if you enter the Wii Shop on the old Wii it will consider the games on your system unpurchased (the transfer removes the licenses from that console's Wii Shop account) so you won't be able to redownload anything that has been deleted.

Yeah, I figured something like that was possible since it's not exactly allowed by Nintendo. I've only got a couple of VC games so there's no stuff to redownload for me, but I'll keep that in mind.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Why wasn't the goron wrestling a repeatable minigame? I don't get it

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I seem to remember someone saying that having homebrew installed on your Wii would invalidate the transfer of your data to the WiiU. Is this actually true? And if so what steps can I take in order for the transfer to succeed? Would I have to reinstall homebrew on the vWii?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I seem to remember someone saying that having homebrew installed on your Wii would invalidate the transfer of your data to the WiiU. Is this actually true? And if so what steps can I take in order for the transfer to succeed? Would I have to reinstall homebrew on the vWii?

You can transfer just fine, it just won't transfer anything not on your Shop Channel account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

No, it's not true. If you have homebrew, when you do the transfer it just ignores anything added with homebrew. You can still transfer anything you bought on the Wii but all the homebrew stuff stays on it. You would have to reinstall homebrew on the vWii.

• Locked thread