Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Crain posted:

But I'm more sorry for (potentially) ruining other people's good times.

For every goonman there are as many winners as there are losers. Someone's good time must become bad. This is the way of goonmans. The vibes ebb and flow as the tides.

Necc0 fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Retakes is fun. This should be a real game mode.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I've just had a match wherein a man was calling people gay and talking over them and I guess trolling weakly I dunno, and a guy on our team responded by saying "eat my rear end in a top hat" every time he called someone gay and it's like, who really won in this situation? Was it me, because I didn't say anything?

It's like Alien vs Predator with voice chat in this game sometimes. No matter who wins, we lose.

edit: vvv They would come in basically condom wrappers, too. :v:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 7, 2015

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Are any goons going to Katowice 2015 by chance? Apparently they are selling CSGO pins over there.

I mean, it'll probably appear on the Valve store after a while but those pins are pretty cool.

Waiting for my Assault pin. :colbert:

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Those are neat, I hope they're doing something like this for Cologne, too.

Powerful Wizard IRL
Aug 8, 2007

-_- CS Depression? -_-
Ask your admin if BanMe® is right for you!
^o^

Xenaero posted:

Just defusing? Oh you poor child.

cool. nice

Revitalized posted:

Are any goons going to Katowice 2015 by chance? Apparently they are selling CSGO pins over there.

I mean, it'll probably appear on the Valve store after a while but those pins are pretty cool.

let me get that counterstrike condom man

Stumbletron
Jan 3, 2006
Anti-Stumble unit is fail!
you see I won't use it because it's a collector's item
:goonsay:

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Do people really still wear pins that aren't tiny american flags?

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Bohemian Nights posted:

Do people really still wear pins that aren't tiny american flags?

No, but they're fun to put on messenger bags and stuff like that.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jeza posted:

First bullet accuracy without movement is very high for all rifles excepting the FAMAS and to a lesser extent the Galil, even at long distance. You only get slight variation at extreme distance that's not even possible on some maps. Pistols are only moderately less accurate than rifles. Chances are you're not shooting out of effective distance, unless you're using a Sawn Off or an SMG.

That's really bizarre, because I can barely land single M4 shots standing dead-still with my crosshair directly over an unmoving target's head. I'm lucky if 1 in 5 bullets will actually hit their head, even from a moderate distance.
On a similar note, I shot someone in the head with a Five-Seven, got the full headshot sound and effect and everything, and they didn't die. Does the game have hosed up shot reporting or is the wiki just wrong about damage numbers?

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Mar 7, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Alabaster White posted:

On a similar note, I shot someone in the head with a Five-Seven, got the full headshot sound and effect and everything, and they didn't die. Does the game have hosed up shot reporting

It's a multiplayer Source game, so yes. If this game's lag compensation is anything like TF2's, I'd be surprised if you didn't get that "wow that should have 100% killed that dude" feeling even though on their screen you didn't hit them fairly often.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Alabaster White posted:

That's really bizarre, because I can barely land single M4 shots standing dead-still with my crosshair directly over an unmoving target's head. I'm lucky if 1 in 5 bullets will actually hit their head, even from a moderate distance.

I've had that issue at long ranges as well. I think it requires near pixel perfect crosshair placement

quote:

On a similar note, I shot someone in the head with a Five-Seven, got the full headshot sound and effect and everything, and they didn't die. Does the game have hosed up shot reporting or is the wiki just wrong about damage numbers?

What range? The damage drops off over distance.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

CJacobs posted:

It's a multiplayer Source game, so yes. If this game's lag compensation is anything like TF2's, I'd be surprised if you didn't get that "wow that should have 100% killed that dude" feeling even though on their screen you didn't hit them fairly often.

It's weird, but I rarely ever have shot recognition issues in TF2, while in CS:GO it's responsible for an uncomfortable number of unfair deaths. I'll magdump an SMG at someone, see 5 blood spatters on the wall from where I've hit them, then get killed and see '14 in 2' on my death screen.

The Ferret King posted:

What range? The damage drops off over distance.

Wait, really? It was about from the apartment balcony on Inferno to crawlspace. I had no idea there was damage dropoff. Does the game even tell you that? :stare:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 7, 2015

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

On that note, is damage somewhat random or does it only depend on impact location and distance?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Alabaster White posted:

. I had no idea there was damage dropoff. Does the game even tell you that? :stare:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjeX7SVcAzX2dDljYV9aWHJXN0VqX0hvOWJGNUM3d1E#gid=0

As for the game telling you.. Probably not! That kind of important text space is reserved for the history of GSG-9 and all the other useless loading screen notices.

Elman posted:

On that note, is damage somewhat random or does it only depend on impact location and distance?

Different damage values for head, chest, stomach, arms and legs.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Mar 7, 2015

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Bohemian Nights posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjeX7SVcAzX2dDljYV9aWHJXN0VqX0hvOWJGNUM3d1E#gid=0

As for the game telling you.. Probably not! That kind of important text space is reserved for the history of GSG-9 and all the other useless loading screen notices.

Different damage values for head, chest, stomach, arms and legs.

Jesus, you'd think a game like this would elucidate the most basic mechanics of the game like 'there is damage falloff' and 'the crosshair is only an approximation of where bullets will land' and 'grenades carry your momentum'. I always thought Valve was constantly dumbing down stuff and overexplaining how things work?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Alabaster White posted:

Jesus, you'd think a game like this would elucidate the most basic mechanics of the game like 'there is damage falloff' and 'the crosshair is only an approximation of where bullets will land' and 'grenades carry your momentum'. I always thought Valve was constantly dumbing down stuff and overexplaining how things work?

The game could definitely stand to explain its mechanics a little better, but when it comes to stuff like the crosshair only being an approximation of where bullets go, that's mostly just a case with pistols (at range) and other inaccurate weapons. For basic stuff like the AK/M4/Aug/Sg/any sniper rifle, the bullets will go more or less exactly where you're aiming so long as you're standing still and engaging at a reasonable range.

I really recommend downloading something like Aim_Botz from steam workshop so you can experiment with various weapons, range and hitboxes in a relaxed environment.

Speaking of practice maps, is that something any of you people actually use? Something like training_aim_csgo2 seems really good for hammering twitch reflexes into your muscle memory.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Mar 7, 2015

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

If that's the moving red dots thing I tried that but I found playing aim maps more useful. By which I mean a box map with spawns on either side and some boxes in the middle. The red dots don't shoot back but 15 minutes trying to decapitate people with an usp on a no armour aim map especially if they can use aks is time well spent.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Speaking of bad shot reporting; yesterday I hit someone with a scout for 103 in 1 hit and they didn't die.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Goofballs posted:

If that's the moving red dots thing I tried that but I found playing aim maps more useful. By which I mean a box map with spawns on either side and some boxes in the middle. The red dots don't shoot back but 15 minutes trying to decapitate people with an usp on a no armour aim map especially if they can use aks is time well spent.

This is very true. It's great to be able to be halfway up d2 long with a USP and pop off headshots from people peeking you on site with guns

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Ernie. posted:

Speaking of bad shot reporting; yesterday I hit someone with a scout for 103 in 1 hit and they didn't die.

If you want to get mad at videogames do some spraying offline or on a 128-tick pug and then do MM/64-tick.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
lol at being in the united states and trying to play video games online where you need to like not have random packet loss happening

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Revitalized posted:

huh

wonder if they'll be able to be registered in game and explains what those pin game items are for, asisde from giving them to map makers

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
that d2 pin lol wtf

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
a skull with a camo background is a thing that people will instantly recognize as being from the map de_dust2

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Slaapaav posted:

a skull with a camo background is a thing that people will instantly recognize as being from the map de_dust2

For some reason that's the official map emblem, I don't know when they added those to the game but they've been there for a while.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Losing 9-0 as CT in Nuke? Sorry, can't surrender.

Last man alive and your entire team sees you fail hard? Sorry, you got votekicked :thumbsup:

Elman fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 7, 2015

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Slaapaav posted:

yeah i always thought it was really dumb and ugly

the rest are pretty good and i like the minimalist iconography for some like the inferno bells or the windmill for militia

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Elman posted:

Losing 9-0 in Nuke? Sorry, can't surrender.

Last man alive and your entire team sees you fail hard? Sorry, you got votekicked :thumbsup:

Looks like you got the best of it imo

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

The last time I got kicked was on overpass. All four them went through the long sewer tunnel to b, through smoke into a flash and got chewed up by a lone p90. So I said I told you that was bad idea. Then the vote came so I said I didn't make you run through it. Hey frontpage of game.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Elman posted:

Sounds like they saved you from six rounds of grief!

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Goofballs posted:

The last time I got kicked was on overpass. All four them went through the long sewer tunnel to b, through smoke into a flash and got chewed up by a lone p90. So I said I told you that was bad idea. Then the vote came so I said I didn't make you run through it. Hey frontpage of game.

Five doing a stupid rush is better than four. I learned that on goonman.

Rosh
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's Wrong,
Something's Right

Katana Gomai posted:

For some reason that's the official map emblem, I don't know when they added those to the game but they've been there for a while.

I think those were added when they started adding the weapon collections for each map.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
My friend was testing smokes on Dust 2 and saw he could safely smoke cat from this angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMlQB11ivE

Not sure if people already use similar at a higher level, I mostly see people trying to throw it straight from mid/suicide onto cat at my level and I've never seen anyone use this in a goonman, seems good.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Akumos posted:

My friend was testing smokes on Dust 2 and saw he could safely smoke cat from this angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVMlQB11ivE

Not sure if people already use similar at a higher level, I mostly see people trying to throw it straight from mid/suicide onto cat at my level and I've never seen anyone use this in a goonman, seems good.

I saw that smoke a week or two ago in a WarOwl youtube tutorial. Not sure how long it has been common knowledge

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Whats with that xhair?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Is there some way to add a sound cue to tell you when time is running out? I keep loving up my clutches cause I don't notice the time. Just a "30 seconds left" sound would do wonders.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

henne posted:

Whats with that xhair?

He uses mumble overlay xhairs that have dumb height measurement for his spray, idk why he does it.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Elman posted:

Is there some way to add a sound cue to tell you when time is running out? I keep loving up my clutches cause I don't notice the time. Just a "30 seconds left" sound would do wonders.

Nope. You need to keep an eye on that timer. It's a good habit to get into. If I'm dead and on T side and notice my team isn't doing a drat thing I just type out "xx seconds". After that my job is done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Had a great nuke game today while playing with a buddy! Ended up losing 13-16 and got completely wrecked on T side, scoring only 3 2 points after pissing away several close rounds and just playing really badly.
The game started off well with one of our duders getting disconnected (with the bomb), giving us a slight disadvantage in the first couple of rounds until he miraculously reappears in the third, unfortunately too late to actually buy anything. Additionally we were blessed with a whiny french dude who commenced his sobbing routine the very second after one of the opponents finished his unfortunate 4k in the pistol round. It was nice to finally get to switch to CT and get completely steamrolled in the gunround, but then tell the french dude that if I wanted to listen to squealing I'd still be loving his mom, get called a bastard, and then proceed to handily win ten rounds in a row while leaving him behind on the scoreboard and then nearly getting the draw before someone hosed up.

I unironically love this game.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 8, 2015

• Locked thread