Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

neogeo0823 posted:

Please tell me how to do this. I'm running just the LNP, no extra mods. This last crash happened after I had designated a wall to be built that was 2 high, using the UMHK keys to designate the size of said construction. I don't really remember what I was doing before the other crashes though, sadly.

Typing "quicksave" into the DFHack console will do it. You can make a per-session hotkey by typing "keybinding add Ctrl-F1 quicksave" or something similar, or you can make it permanent by entering that same line in dfhack.init.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think it's bound by default to ctrl-alt-S or something. Ctrl-F1 should list the bindings.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I think it's bound by default to ctrl-alt-S or something. Ctrl-F1 should list the bindings.

This might be LNP-only or something, because ctrl-alt-S does something completely different for me. Either way, maybe check the init file first, then decide what to change.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Dungeon Ecology posted:

In Masterwork, whats the embark animal that will help you deal with vermin? I can find all sorts of exotic animals, but not cats... :confused:

For which race?

Kobold:Shalswar
Warlock:buy Deathcloaks after building Demonic Attorney
Succubus:Nahash
Dwarf and Human:cats
Orc:Uhhhhh

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I was embarking as Dwarves. Strangely, I never saw anything called "cat" or anything remotely related to "cat." I saw war mastiffs, which I assume are the Masterwork equivalent to war dogs, but there's no option for like "maine coon" or "abyssinian."

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

video gaaAAAMEs

Toady One posted:

The dance stuff is underway -- the procedure has been the same as the last three. First the reading, then the definitions, then the generator, then the text. I've finished the dance definitions and will try to finish the generator tomorrow.

Here's an interview I did for IncGamers. There's an audio recording of it below the introductory paragraphs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Trade at Depot cancelled: Dance off at mead hall.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Urist cancels digging : Interrupted by getting SERVED

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I was embarking as Dwarves. Strangely, I never saw anything called "cat" or anything remotely related to "cat." I saw war mastiffs, which I assume are the Masterwork equivalent to war dogs, but there's no option for like "maine coon" or "abyssinian."

For dwarves, it looks like:
Moleweasel
Leatherwing Bat
Frill Lizard

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

^^^ Those, I saw. Thank you! Time to get my moleweasel on...

I fully expect morris dancing to cause a tantrum spiral.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Excelzior posted:

Urist cancels digging : Interrupted by getting SERVED

Mass job cancellation: Uris shouts DAAAAAAYUM

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I want my dwarves to write songs about the might of their lumber industry, and to perform them for visiting Elven diplomats.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I want my fort bard to launch the mead hall into a chant about the procedurally-generated dwarven equivalent of Paul Bunyan

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
If there is no breakdancing, it must be modded in. I don't care if it's trite, stupid, childish, idiotic, or inane. I just really want dwarven breakdancing. Gives you another excuse to smooth over all those floors, too! Will competitive dance-styles be a thing?

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

Novice breakdancers practice in the room floored with featherwood. The hardcore breakdancers face-off in the platinum-paved room.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

And the Toady One has already seen fit to provide our dwarves with flax... :getin:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 5, 2015

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

neogeo0823 posted:

Please tell me how to do this. I'm running just the LNP, no extra mods. This last crash happened after I had designated a wall to be built that was 2 high, using the UMHK keys to designate the size of said construction. I don't really remember what I was doing before the other crashes though, sadly.

Make sure you're not designating things to be built over tree leaves. This caused mysterious crashes for me earlier, too.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
My game never crashes, I'm only using the normal vanilla DF download from the bay12 page and the rapist.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

program666 posted:

My game never crashes, I'm only using the normal vanilla DF download from the bay12 page and the rapist.

Mine only crashes if I do something I already know will crash it these days. I don't know how people are having so many problems with it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

necrotic posted:

Mine only crashes if I do something I already know will crash it these days. I don't know how people are having so many problems with it.

The game has literally hundreds of mods, often used in combination with each other, some of which directly hook into the program's memory, and is incredibly complex.

It's great that vanilla is pretty solid and/or that you're personally lucky, but it really shouldn't come as any surprise that it has stability issues.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I just mentioned for people to know that it might be their mods or dfhack or something

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Did workflow ever get updated to fix the bug that jobs it suspended then unsuspended weren't being worked?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Sub Rosa posted:

Did workflow ever get updated to fix the bug that jobs it suspended then unsuspended weren't being worked?

I don't believe so. It's an odd bug because it usually works fine for me, but occasionally I have to remove the job and add a new one.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The game has literally hundreds of mods, often used in combination with each other, some of which directly hook into the program's memory, and is incredibly complex.

It's great that vanilla is pretty solid and/or that you're personally lucky, but it really shouldn't come as any surprise that it has stability issues.

Yeah, I know. I use both the Mac and Windows LNPs, so I guess I really am just lucky as hell. I use the hell out of the included mods, though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Well that was horrifying.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Well that was horrifying.

:iit:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Any ideas about what could cause dwarves to lose attributes even with attribute rust completely disabled?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Any ideas about what could cause dwarves to lose attributes even with attribute rust completely disabled?

Losing body parts or taking severe injuries? :shrug:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Mister Adequate posted:

Losing body parts or taking severe injuries? :shrug:

In retrospect I think it just has to be some kind of bug or jitter in how Therapist reads the stat -- Disease Resistance on several of my dwarves was swinging down and then back up by a few points (which is even more strange because nothing trains that attribute) but I was reading it by the percentage rather than the raw value.

e: On a related note, after making them account for half of all megabeasts (and using Modest Mod's tweaks so that they actually have a childhood) I finally captured a breeding pair of hydras and domesticated the litter. Only problem is, they keep randomly attacking my dwarves anyways, and I can't figure out why. I know about overcrowding, and I'm going to try using dogs and then other [LARGE_PREDATOR] tagged animals to see if I can reproduce the behavior with non-megabeasts, but is there anything else that might cause random aggression in supposedly domesticated animals?

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 7, 2015

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

is there anything else that might cause random aggression in supposedly domesticated animals?
Stress.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stress posted:

Animals can also be stressed, which seems to happen when an animal has been constrained for a long time.
I've seen a pet goat succumb to despair, presumably because it was pastured outdoors on a map which frequently rained blood. Have your hydras seen a lot of combat and/or corpses?

hack/scripts/show-stress.lua
code:
-- Shows stress level of the selected unit

local utils = require 'utils'

local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit()
if unit then
  print('Stress level: ' .. unit.status.current_soul.personality.stress_level)
else
  error('No unit selected.')
end
They're tagged with [BONECARN], so you could try stockpiling a few cat bones in the corner of the hydra enclosure and see whether they get eaten. It probably won't help, but from a role-playing perspective it might make you feel better. And it could justify your subsequent decision to isolate them so that they stop maiming people.

Alternatively:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Animal_trainer#Taming posted:

... creatures with pet values in the thousands such as dragons are very slow to train and almost impossible to completely domesticate.

Adult trained animals will slowly revert to their wild origins over time and must be permanently scheduled for training (through the animal status menu) to ensure they remain friendly through regular re-training.
If the adults are randomly attacking then maybe that's working-as-intended. If the pups are doing it then maybe you didn't train the mother adequately before they were born. If they're all showing "Domesticated" but still randomly biting people then ???

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've got a refuse pile that is only "Item Types / Corpses / Body Parts", but Giant Bat teeth keep filling it up. Some are also going to the crafting-fodder refuse pile. Any idea how I can fix that? It's keeping real body-part stuff from having a place to go.

Also, I have a bunch of merchants staying in the depot for like a season after I finished trading with them. The map shows it as accessible. There was no liaison; is it possible that they just don't have anywhere to go? :ohdear:

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 7, 2015

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

GulMadred posted:

If the adults are randomly attacking then maybe that's working-as-intended. If the pups are doing it then maybe you didn't train the mother adequately before they were born. If they're all showing "Domesticated" but still randomly biting people then ???

The adults randomly attacked people, but long before their training wore off. The juveniles also randomly attacked people, even after I had butchered the adults and every single remaining juvenile was fully domesticated. The juveniles had never been in or near combat prior to the attacks, and the combat log shows them initiating combat in every case, usually either on a stairwell or in the meeting area / dining hall -- what usually triggered it was I would re-allocate multiple hydras from one pasture to another, and all of them would immediately dash out into the fortress while dwarves re-pastured them one at a time. Some of them would make it from one pasture to the other, but suddenly I'd start getting messages about fighting and find a dead hydra and sometimes dead haulers.

I thought it was overcrowding, but I also had some occurrences of a hydra attacking a lone dwarf who passed through its pasture, which doesn't seem right for that. I'll look into stress, though; if that's what it is it probably wouldn't happen in DF2012, and I was thinking about reverting back to that anyways since 2014 has so many unresolved bugs and optimization issues.

PassingPie
Aug 18, 2013
Speaking of refuse, is there anything I can do about all the corpses that are left over after sieges? They can't be butchered for bones or skulls, so I have them all in a pile outside... but they're not going away. The corpses rot away to skeletons and remain there as skeletons, even after 10 years. To make matters worse, I have the stockpile walled off so that only dwarves that are dropping off an arm or a leg have to see the pile, but those dwarves gain a massive number of negative thoughts from doing so (apparently, seeing the dead body counts as witnessing the creature die, for every corpse in the pile) and the stress is starting to pile up in quite a few military dwarves.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Dump them down a pit. If it ends in magma it'll get rid of the corpses forever, if not then eh, who cares. If its deep enough your dwarves won't see the massive pile of skeletons when they haul over new corpses.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

I usually have trouble with persistent corpses in colder climes. I don't know if temperature is a factor or if you just need a tropical array of gnawy scavenger vermin to have their way with the pile.

In the meantime, you could try tossing the corpses into a deep pit. If you put a garbage dump zone right on the edge of a cliff, any dumped stuff gets thrown down.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The adults randomly attacked people, but long before their training wore off. The juveniles also randomly attacked people, even after I had butchered the adults and every single remaining juvenile was fully domesticated. The juveniles had never been in or near combat prior to the attacks, and the combat log shows them initiating combat in every case, usually either on a stairwell or in the meeting area / dining hall -- what usually triggered it was I would re-allocate multiple hydras from one pasture to another, and all of them would immediately dash out into the fortress while dwarves re-pastured them one at a time. Some of them would make it from one pasture to the other, but suddenly I'd start getting messages about fighting and find a dead hydra and sometimes dead haulers.

I thought it was overcrowding, but I also had some occurrences of a hydra attacking a lone dwarf who passed through its pasture, which doesn't seem right for that. I'll look into stress, though; if that's what it is it probably wouldn't happen in DF2012, and I was thinking about reverting back to that anyways since 2014 has so many unresolved bugs and optimization issues.

What are the chances that you only domesticated just one head of each hydra, and the rest are still bitey-wild?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

What are the chances that you only domesticated just one head of each hydra, and the rest are still bitey-wild?

Oh god, I've been going about this all wrong. :gonk:

the extra heads are only modeled as body parts, it doesn't really scan

program666
Aug 22, 2013

ok so I finally had my first crash, and I think it is because I tried building a wall on a twig tile, is there anyway to clear those twigs before building?

E: I did a more controlled test and yup, it's the twig tile

vvvvvv obviously lol thanks

program666 fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 7, 2015

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

program666 posted:

ok so I finally had my first crash, and I think it is because I tried building a wall on a twig tile, is there anyway to clear those twigs before building?

Chop down the whole tree or kill it with fire.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

Maybe you've seen this already but there was a forgotten beast that seemingly had water for hair and now my hair wool pile was stocked with an item called "water". Description: "This is a water"

program666 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Mar 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

program666 posted:

Maybe you've seen this already but there was a forgotten beast that seemingly had water for hair and now my hair wool pile was stocked with an item called "water". Description: "This is a water"

Make this happen.