Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Apparently when Seth Rogan was there he just smoked weed 24/7 and it stank up the joint to the 3rd floor.

Not overly surprised by this one. Feels like every role he does is weed related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Greatbacon posted:

I've had a cigarette habit for the last couple years and while I definitely feel stressed after about 12 hours of not having one and super irritable by around day 3, I also smoked (comparatively) less then the sort of compulsive, pack or two a day, sort of smoker that sort of character is suppressed to evoke. I can imagine that if you're body is used to getting a kick of nicotine every ten minutes and it's been thirty, there would be a lot of unhappy nerves firing.

Don't get me wrong, I totally buy that you can get super addicted to nicotine and you feel awful without it.

But even if you're jonesing really hard for a cig, its just like "aw yeah there it is." Its more about relieving those bad feelings than anything, right? I don't think you're like, having an orgasm when you light up, which is the fetishistic take on smoking that some movies seem to have. Maybe I'm overthinking it. Thread does say irrational though!

Although in general it seems that movies massively overplay the effects of drugs. I guess its part cliche (lots of popular drug movies) and part just lazy or something. I imagine part of it is just ignorance and people growing up in DARE programs learning that all drugs are like heroin and get you addicted and make you hallucinate.

I guess now we're getting into a new irritating movie moment for me: When a character is supposed to be drunk or on drugs and they totally do not act like they are drunk or on drugs but instead act either really sober or on all the drugs.

I feel like cocaine in particular is massively overrated in films, probably by people who have never taken it? I guess that's more of a rational movie irritation though.

As for irrational, am I the only one who thinks Wolf of Wall Street was really juvenile and pointless? Scorsese is supposed to be this gigantic director, but he seems to be a teenage boy at heart. After Goodfellas he's just been kinda remaking Goodfellas over and over and over.

And at least Goodfellas had some great drama and characters and tension. Wolf of Wall Street was just like "hey lets take drugs and party with Leo: The Movie"

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
My mum used to get a huge hit from smoking. Like, the whole, "Aaaaahhhhh" *goes limp* thing when we'd get out of work. Actors might ham it up a bit, but some people really do get that big of a hit and it was always super weird and awkward.

Hence why I started drinking. And now after a hard days work I have a pint, neck it in one and let out an orgasmic, "Aaaaahhh"

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

So I've been watching Arrow and also Spartacus and there is something in both of these shows that is probably done a lot in other shows/movies.

The situation is a character is severely wounded and on the brink of death, and there is usually one of two things preventing them from going to a real hospital. Its either A. the story is set far in the past where there were no hospitals(Spartacus) or B. they are in a super remote location and have no feasible way of getting to a city(Arrow). So the character is taken care of by the makeshift doctor, character is on a bed or table clearly struggling to live. The makeshift doctor will usually try to dress the wound, apply some ointment or herbs or some poo poo, and press a damp cloth on their forehead.
My question is: How do these characters survive these situations without food or water? They are usually unconscious for days, and there are no IVs or feeding tubes or poo poo like that. How are they able to recover without food/water. Also relatedly, the makeshift doctor will usually grind up some herbs and poo poo into a super-healing-drink and pour it into the unconscious character's mouth. Why don't these characters choke/drown when they are being force-fed liquid?
Is there a scientific explanation that I'm missing? pls help

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't get me wrong, I totally buy that you can get super addicted to nicotine and you feel awful without it.

But even if you're jonesing really hard for a cig, its just like "aw yeah there it is." Its more about relieving those bad feelings than anything, right? I don't think you're like, having an orgasm when you light up, which is the fetishistic take on smoking that some movies seem to have. Maybe I'm overthinking it. Thread does say irrational though!
When I used to smoke, if I went a while without one, it was a pretty great feeling. I'd compare it to this: You need to piss, but you're a half hour bus ride and a ten minute walk from home. You're a grown adult, you can easily hold it, you can probably even read a book or something to take your mind off it, but when you finally get home it's going to feel pretty good.

Rurea posted:

How do these characters survive these situations without food or water? They are usually unconscious for days, and there are no IVs or feeding tubes or poo poo like that. How are they able to recover without food/water?
Sheer toughness, I think.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Speaking of Spartacus

They do this thing to make it "old fashioned" or whatever, more like its a direct translation of Latin? Where they skip pronouns, since Latin didn't really do pronouns. So instead of "get your head out of your rear end" they would say "Remove head from rear end!"

That actually sounds kinda cool, I get what they were going for.
The problem is that they do that while also at the same time inserting a TON of modern slang and profanity.

So its like:
"Remove motherfucking head from loving rear end!"

Which just sounds retarded. :downs:

Even worse is they're inconsistent as gently caress, so they'll skip a couple pronouns and then suddenly drop one because they're worried it makes the line unclear to the audience. (Valid concern with this approach, but switching back and forth isn't really a solution guys)

"Remove head from loving rear end! Then come with me to villa to see your payment" :psyduck:

They also say "Gratitude." instead of "Thankyou" since you is a pronoun (but again, they say 'you' when they need to) Which gets pretty old when you've heard "Gratitude" for the 100th time that episode.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Speaking of Spartacus

They do this thing to make it "old fashioned" or whatever, more like its a direct translation of Latin? Where they skip pronouns, since Latin didn't really do pronouns. So instead of "get your head out of your rear end" they would say "Remove head from rear end!"

That actually sounds kinda cool, I get what they were going for.
The problem is that they do that while also at the same time inserting a TON of modern slang and profanity.

So its like:
"Remove motherfucking head from loving rear end!"

I totally believe the Romans would say something like that. They had basically the same insults and curse words as we do now.

13 legistis, male me marem putatis? You think I'm a sissy?
14 Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. I will sodomize you and face-gently caress you.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Byzantine posted:

I totally believe the Romans would say something like that. They had basically the same insults and curse words as we do now.

13 legistis, male me marem putatis? You think I'm a sissy?
14 Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo. I will sodomize you and face-gently caress you.

Fair enough. But did they use "gently caress" in all kinds of different non-literal forms though? Like "loving huge" and "loving stupid" and "that's hosed up" and "abso-loving-lutely" and things like that? I don't think so. That's my point, they use it in a very modern vernacular style, when they specifically structure their sentences to otherwise sound old-fashioned.

I imagine if the romans said "gently caress" (or Latin for 'to gently caress') it would involve literal loving. "I will gently caress you in rear end!" sounds fine, but not like "Oh no, we're hosed!" in response to danger.

I don't really know what kind of slang or metaphors the Romans used, though. :hist101:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Zaphod42 posted:

Fair enough. But did they use "gently caress" in all kinds of different non-literal forms though? Like "loving huge" and "loving stupid" and "that's hosed up" and "abso-loving-lutely" and things like that? I don't think so. That's my point, they use it in a very modern vernacular style, when they specifically structure their sentences to otherwise sound old-fashioned.

I imagine if the romans said "gently caress" (or Latin for 'to gently caress') it would involve literal loving. "I will gently caress you in rear end!" sounds fine, but not like "Oh no, we're hosed!" in response to danger.

I don't really know what kind of slang or metaphors the Romans used, though. :hist101:

What if they were saying "Oh no, we're hosed!" in response to "I will gently caress you in the rear end!" guy following through?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zaphod42 posted:

And why are they speaking english and not latin (or greek)? It doesn't make sense!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

sassassin posted:

And why are they speaking english and not latin (or greek)? It doesn't make sense!

First: The name of the thread is PYF Irrationally Irritating Movie Moments in PYF, not Cinema Discusso.

Second: Just because movies get suspension of disbelief, doesn't mean they can self-contradict. You're like the guy who responds to Harry Potter plot holes with "and what about the magic? So unrealistic" :smuggo:

I'd be fine with either English or Latin/Greek with subtitles. But mixing them is just weird.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Fair enough. But did they use "gently caress" in all kinds of different non-literal forms though? Like "loving huge" and "loving stupid" and "that's hosed up" and "abso-loving-lutely" and things like that? I don't think so.

It was not used as an intensifier, no. The Romans tended to use religious phrases for that, more like "By Jove, you're stupid!", but that doesn't carry any sting for modern listeners.

There were various metaphorical uses, though; if you spent all your money, you hosed your wallet to exhaustion. It generally had a more positive meaning for the Romans, though; "you fucker" was a common compliment for a good friend.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
oval office (Oz) is the new fucker

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Byzantine posted:

It was not used as an intensifier, no. The Romans tended to use religious phrases for that, more like "By Jove, you're stupid!", but that doesn't carry any sting for modern listeners.

There were various metaphorical uses, though; if you spent all your money, you hosed your wallet to exhaustion. It generally had a more positive meaning for the Romans, though; "you fucker" was a common compliment for a good friend.

Hah, that's interesting.

Reminds me of HBO's Rome (of course they got it more accurate than Spartacus) they'd use phrases like "Juno's oval office!" as an intensifier.

Course they also had everybody cast with UK actors and with British accents so ehhh :v:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Rome is an awesome show, such a shame it got cancelled. Now I am wondering how historical(ish) shows and movies would sound like with US accents instead of British.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Hah, that's interesting.

Reminds me of HBO's Rome (of course they got it more accurate than Spartacus) they'd use phrases like "Juno's oval office!" as an intensifier.

Course they also had everybody cast with UK actors and with British accents so ehhh :v:

Jupiter's Cock is a pretty frequently used phrase in Spartacus

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zaphod42 posted:

Hah, that's interesting.

They were very creative with the accents as the different accents showed your social class.
Deadwood also did an interesting thing with swears. They were historically incorrect as if they used the language of the actual wild west it would sound like a current day elementary school. To show that they were using extreme vulgarity they changed it to the way it was shown in the show.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rurea posted:

Jupiter's Cock is a pretty frequently used phrase in Spartacus

Okay, I was thinking that was the case but I was racking my brains trying to think if I was mixing up Rome and Spartacus memories or not, and I thought of exact quotes from Rome but I couldn't for Spartacus. But yeah, it did seem like they used that in Spartacus too.

bobkatt013 posted:

They were very creative with the accents as the different accents showed your social class.
Deadwood also did an interesting thing with swears. They were historically incorrect as if they used the language of the actual wild west it would sound like a current day elementary school. To show that they were using extreme vulgarity they changed it to the way it was shown in the show.

I'm not saying doing that is wrong; in some cases it can be awesome. I really loved how A Knight's Tale had a mix of historical accuracy and modern sensibilities, they'd do an old-fashioned square dance and then put on some Queen and start rocking out, they'd talk to officials and nobility like it was all very formal and then they'd turn around and make fart jokes or what have you.

It just seemed in Spartacus like they couldn't make up their minds on consistent rules.

I hadn't really thought about Rome's accents showing class but you're right, the patricians all speak with formal English while the plebs all talk with a more modern slang. (Although its still English)

I keep meaning to watch Deadwood...

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Mar 5, 2015

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Deadwood's really good (watching it for the first time myself, a few episodes into season 3), but sometime's there's just scenes that are pure camp. My Irrationally Irritating Moments are whenever EB is on the screen.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

IUG posted:

Deadwood's really good (watching it for the first time myself, a few episodes into season 3), but sometime's there's just scenes that are pure camp. My Irrationally Irritating Moments are whenever EB is on the screen.
Deadwood's show finale was irrationally irritating to me. So much build up and then... well it wasn't gratifying at all. :flaccid:

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

mng posted:

Rome is an awesome show, such a shame it got cancelled. Now I am wondering how historical(ish) shows and movies would sound like with US accents instead of British.

If you want dicks sucking historical dramas with oval office loving American accents watch Deadwood you cocksucking motherfucker

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If you want dicks sucking historical dramas with oval office loving American accents watch Deadwood you cocksucking motherfucker

I was going to rewatch it you cocksucking squarehead

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
loving hoopleheads.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
this isnt really a plot hole but it bugs me because im autistic. i only noticed it because ive seen this movie a ridiculous amount of times and i think its pretty tight otherwise

in brick brendan is in the tunnel with emily's body and hears someone in the tunnel. he runs after the person who runs away, and he trips and falls and loses them. we find out later that it was dode in the tunnel. now dode is a total drug addict and prolly not in good shape. if brendan hadnt tripped he would have caught him easily. later in the movie brendan is booking it from chuck for a fair distance and doesnt trip or fall or anything. but i guess if he didnt fall in the tunnel it would have messed up the rest of the movie.

unless im missing something

Secret Machine
Jun 20, 2005

What the Hell?

Ancient Blades posted:

this isnt really a plot hole but it bugs me because im autistic. i only noticed it because ive seen this movie a ridiculous amount of times and i think its pretty tight otherwise

in brick brendan is in the tunnel with emily's body and hears someone in the tunnel. he runs after the person who runs away, and he trips and falls and loses them. we find out later that it was dode in the tunnel. now dode is a total drug addict and prolly not in good shape. if brendan hadnt tripped he would have caught him easily. later in the movie brendan is booking it from chuck for a fair distance and doesnt trip or fall or anything. but i guess if he didnt fall in the tunnel it would have messed up the rest of the movie.

unless im missing something

I might be mis-remembering, but Brendan gets jumped by Dode in the tunnel and knocked out. That's why Dode gets away.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
oh, thats definitely what happened. im a special kind of stupid

bucketybuck
Apr 8, 2012
I wanted to watch a mindless action film last weekend, found that The Negotiator was showing and so a good time was had by all.

But there was a really irritating part. Its in this clip, at the 2.56 mark:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FsDFOIWiHo

That noise! They are standing in a simple office halfway up an office block and yet it sounds like the enterprise entering hyperspace, was that really necessary?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

bobkatt013 posted:

That's kind of true and kind of a myth. There are court transcripts from that era where witnesses clearly said "gently caress" and "loving" and were censored; on the other hand, religion-related profanity (like "drat you!" or "that God-damned woman") was pretty much as out there as "gently caress" would be today. Deadwood just used a higher gently caress to drat ratio than people did in the 1870s.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
God I loved Deadwood. Only that show could have a " crazy weirdo slaughters 7 prostitutes because he's bored" and a "Will the Theatre Company complete the new school house in time " storyline going at the same time.

One thing I always thought was weird was how much time everyone spent shaving. They would wear the same poo poo/piss/blood/mucus covered clothes for years but would get made fun of it they weren't clean shaven.

Trixie taking Jew Lessons was also one of the greatest things ever.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Big Grunty Secret posted:

My question is do people smoke real weed in movies/TV shows? (I'm willing to bet yes for Trailer Park Boys)

I mean, technically, if you're doing anything illegal like that you can get in real trouble with the insurance company.

All I know is that when I was working on an independent film about six years back, we were searching high and low for decent-looking fake weed while joking that it would be 110% easier to just ask one of our actors or the director to provide some of their personal stash.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Referring to the title: something different that irritated me about The Matrix. Trinity believes that the Oracle is always correct. She also knows that the Oracle told Morpheus that he would find the One, because despite saying you keep what the Oracle tells you to yourself Morpheus seems to have told the entire crew of the Nebuchadnezzar, and that the One will free everyone from the Matrix.

So, why is she opposed to Neo rescuing Morpheus? If Neo is not the One, then Morpheus has not yet found the One. If Neo is the One, then he has not yet freed everyone from the Matrix. In neither event can Neo's rescue attempt fail without breaking an Oracular prophecy.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Well, Neo could die in the rescue despite getting Morpheus out... and Trinity kinda likes Neo, so... yeah.

Plus there was "you will fall in love with The One, and he will die" so who knows how those prophecies work.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Well poo poo, my future lover isn't an immortal. And here I thought I'd have my pick of the litter of deities

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
About the Matrix, it always bothered me that the blue and red pills made no sense.

If neo is IN the matrix, the taking the pill is nothing but him imagining he's taking something that was created by The Matrix. By that logic, the fact that the red pill allowed his body to be tracked made absolutely no sense (not to mention how lucky they were that the body was at a driving distance).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The pills are programs. Until he becomes the One he doesn't yet get to decide what that code means, so they do whatever they were created to do, in this case track a body (really tracking the pod he's in and then tracing where he'll get dumped--they've done that sort of thing before, obviously; actually I wonder how many people they never got to in time?) or wipe memories.

aerion111
Nov 29, 2011

Prodigy of Curiosity.
Master of Jacks.
Apprentice of Masks.
And, when fighting the forces of darkness, always remember: "Armor of Darkness, Weapon of Light"

Lotish posted:

The pills are programs. Until he becomes the One he doesn't yet get to decide what that code means, so they do whatever they were created to do, in this case track a body (really tracking the pod he's in and then tracing where he'll get dumped--they've done that sort of thing before, obviously; actually I wonder how many people they never got to in time?) or wipe memories.

Which means the answer to the slightly-more-annoying question 'What if you take both?' (more annoying because it'd only happen if Neo was controlled by the 'fishmalk' kinda player), is 'It depends on how fast the programs work, and if they interfere with each other at all. If both pills work fine, he'll be tracked, but forget stuff too'
And there's at least one comic (probably XKCD) where he crushes them and snorts the powder - this'd probably be equivalent to scrambling the code in a program and then trying to run it. So, either it'd trigger something meant to prevent errors, or it'd crash the Matrix (probably the former, it seems somewhat well-programmed)

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jedit posted:

Referring to the title: something different that irritated me about The Matrix. Trinity believes that the Oracle is always correct. She also knows that the Oracle told Morpheus that he would find the One, because despite saying you keep what the Oracle tells you to yourself Morpheus seems to have told the entire crew of the Nebuchadnezzar, and that the One will free everyone from the Matrix.

So, why is she opposed to Neo rescuing Morpheus? If Neo is not the One, then Morpheus has not yet found the One. If Neo is the One, then he has not yet freed everyone from the Matrix. In neither event can Neo's rescue attempt fail without breaking an Oracular prophecy.

I imagine Morpheus would have to tell his crew what he was doing, as he was basically interviewing random people until he found Neo and sent his whole crew to pull him out of the matrix, way beyond the age they normally would remove someone. He's going to have to justify that kind of plan with his crew, and they probably believed him enough to join with him in his own personal quest.

And even if Morpheus died in the hands of the agents, he would have still found "The One". But he would die before seeing the consequences of that. And since they believe that "The One" is someone who was able to change the matrix, died, and was reborn, there's a chance that Neo dies again, and it delays their freedom until he's reincarnated again.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I always thought that the human's last stand in the Chapel after the Zion Docks fell was to play a bunch of lovely techno and have a terrible rave and see if the the Machines would be too embarrassed to finish them off.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

aerion111 posted:

And there's at least one comic (probably XKCD) where he crushes them and snorts the powder - this'd probably be equivalent to scrambling the code in a program and then trying to run it. So, either it'd trigger something meant to prevent errors, or it'd crash the Matrix (probably the former, it seems somewhat well-programmed)

That'd be kind of hard to do considering they look to be gel tabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

For stationary targets, closing one eye is fine. See competition shooting where they often have a piece of paper infront of their non dominant eye.
For combat and hitting moving targets, having both eyes open are usefull for depth perception and more perifiral vision and such.

You can't look down sights with both eyes, parallax means that the sight posts are only going to be in line with one of your eyes, not both. And obviously you can't look down a monocular scope with both eyes. Depth perception from parallax and binocular vision only is significant at close distances anyway, at longer ranges the difference in the image across either retina is minor and your perception of depth comes from other visual cues anyway. like accomodation or motion parallax.