Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Basic led will probably be of the wrong spectrum too. Can you get the brand/model on it? Lighting has been moving from a watts/gallon measurement to par because of the intensity provided by led fixtures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Top Fin brand. Cry. I am not sure why I thought I could get away with cheap LEDs :colbert: I am not sure of the model of the lights, it doesn't say.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

At worst, you could just keep all your plants in there and see what lives and go with that. :v: Worked for me.

MrConfusedTurkey
Dec 14, 2013

Maybe I will just set up my ten gallon earlier, I just have to get a hood. This one seems to be the cheapest that I can find.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

Top Fin brand. Cry. I am not sure why I thought I could get away with cheap LEDs :colbert: I am not sure of the model of the lights, it doesn't say.

If the lights came with the kit they are probably no good for some plants and don't have a decent spectrum. Is this your kit?

I use UP Aqua Pro Z led lights on my 8 gallon, which work a treat. Ive been growing high light plants with no troubles.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
Somewhat relevant: I built my own LED lighting late last year.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Do you get much condensation/moisture/whatever building up on that? I always wondered how those kit setups hold up without some kind of cover on them; but looking at your gallery I think it'd be pretty hard for enough moisture to build up to short anything out.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
Nope, no condensation on the lights. My tank has sliding glass lids, so the condensation builds up there instead. If the lids weren't there, I'd hang some perspex under the lights to shield them.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Smirk posted:

Nope, no condensation on the lights. My tank has sliding glass lids, so the condensation builds up there instead. If the lids weren't there, I'd hang some perspex under the lights to shield them.

Need something with any decent lighting, otherwise I feel you lose a lot of water to evaporation.

Mitchnasty
Apr 15, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Let me know how this goes for you, I just got a couple angels from the "good" fish store in town that keeps selling me sick fish and within a day they were showing the same thing. Still swimming around eating and acting normal, far as I can tell, just making GBS threads out their guts.

Two of their mollies died of ich within like the first week I had them too, when nothing else even got it; I don't think I'll be doing business with those guys anymore.

She lasted about another day before she died. Had an extreme case of dropsy going on. Whatever was hanging out of her just kept growing, I think it was either her intestines or genitals. Was just a freak thing I hope!

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Always quarantine your fish! I've been good with quarantining my saltwater purchases, but not so good with the freshwater side of things. LFS called to warn me he found ich on the last shipment of fish he got, and sure enough all 7 rams I picked up last week are infected. Roll the dice enough times and eventually you crap out I guess. Time for some salt and high temps!

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Hell, always quarantine everything, even new plants to ensure you don't get any happy hitch hikers.
I had a hell of an outbreak of ramshorn snails because of that. though now i kinda miss the buggers since the big one kicked off

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams
I

MrConfusedTurkey posted:

Maybe I will just set up my ten gallon earlier, I just have to get a hood. This one seems to be the cheapest that I can find.

if you want a cheap DIY lighting, just swing by Home Depot, grab a 6500k compact fluorescent bulb (and for added fun, act shady as hell and pretend you're setting up a Mary Jane grow op when asking where they are) then get the cheapest table lamp you can find and a plug in timer. I finally bought some expensive LED strips for mine, but that's after close to a year of running planted tanks off CFLs.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Has anyone had success ordering fish online? I'm setting up a new 300g rubbermaid pond and my local selection is just awful. I'd like to get a good bunch of 20+ sarasa comets, some shubunkins and maybe some fantails/more wakins. There are some options out there including some sites that seem to sell batches of those fish, but I don't want to waste my time and get a box of dead fish.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

cheese posted:

Has anyone had success ordering fish online? I'm setting up a new 300g rubbermaid pond and my local selection is just awful. I'd like to get a good bunch of 20+ sarasa comets, some shubunkins and maybe some fantails/more wakins. There are some options out there including some sites that seem to sell batches of those fish, but I don't want to waste my time and get a box of dead fish.
A decent site will offer a guarantee of live delivery, and the process of shipping fish isn't itself problematic - That's how they get to pet stores after all.

Just recently somebody in this thread ordered a bunch of fish online (Whale Cancer?) and seemed to have had success.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Will my neon tetras eat my cherries while they molt? If so how do i protect them?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

If it fits in the fish's mouth they'll try to eat it; this means your baby shrimplets are at the most risk. Just make sure there is plenty of cover and hiding places for your shrimp but if you don't want to lose any shrimp at all, don't put them in with fish. I've seen lots of advice saying the only safe fish to put in with shrimp are otos but then they eat the same kind of food so you'd need to make sure everyone is getting enough. If you have some thick moss, or other bushy fine plants that the shrimp can burrow into it might be fine.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

cheese posted:

That's how i got most everything I have. most offer a live arrival thing. Wait for warm weather though as they'll spend some time exposed to really cold conditions in winter.
Hell, some Mollies i ordered dropped fry a few hours after arriving

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

We picked up a new frog for our aquarium. Check out this chill rear end mother fucker:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Slugworth posted:

A decent site will offer a guarantee of live delivery, and the process of shipping fish isn't itself problematic - That's how they get to pet stores after all.

Just recently somebody in this thread ordered a bunch of fish online (Whale Cancer?) and seemed to have had success.

SocketWrench posted:

That's how i got most everything I have. most offer a live arrival thing. Wait for warm weather though as they'll spend some time exposed to really cold conditions in winter.
Hell, some Mollies i ordered dropped fry a few hours after arriving
Thanks for the advice. Looks like my new wakins are going to be coming in air mail!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I'm buying some head and tail light tetras online this week after the success with shrimp in the post. But these fish will be coming from much further away so I don't know if they will fare so well. There's really only three online fish stores that ship as far as my state, one of them doesn't stock the tetras I want, and the other website has a picture of a fish that is missing the black spot on its body that mine has so I don't want to accidentally get a mix of ocellifer and falsus tetras. So the final store is what I'm stuck with, they also happen to be the cheapest BUT they have a minimum purchase size of $20 so I had to buy some plants as well to bump it up. I would have got some peppered corys but they only sell those in a mixed Cory bundle and I really didn't want any albino corys. I think at the moment corys would compete with my barbs at the bottom of the tank anyway so for now it's probably better to do without, either until I get another decent tank or reduce the number of rosy barbs down to something reasonable. According to aqadvisor.com the rosy barbs are going to be the biggest bioload in my tank and the biggest obstacle towards having more fish in the community. Some of the stunted ones haven't grown much for a while but assuming the others grow properly there are going to be ten full sized rosy barbs which is a lot of busy fish. There is plenty of room at the top though and I've already seen the one tetra I have gets on well up there watching over the barbs' antics. I don't want him to be lonely forever so for now it will be just barbs and more tetras.

I'm starting to run out of ideas for low tech plants that won't just get gobbled by the barbs straight away. They eat Java and fissidens moss, hair grass, hydrilla, they rip the Rotala out even though it's too tough for them to eat, they have been gobbling the hydrocotyle that I planted last week which is a shame because it looks really good. I think they have been uprooting the vallisneria trying to pull off the snail eggs but the snails seem to do a number on that anyway. They chew on the bolbitis fern roots and the Java fern rhizomes but I don't think that hurts them so I might buy some more of that. It's like having lots of little feral goldfish-alikes chewing on everything in the tank. I've got some extra hydrilla growing in some tanks out on the veranda since they seem to love eating that the most and I don't mind providing them with extra plant matter if that's what they really want to eat, but it would be nice to have some plants in their tank that they don't harass. They've left the red alternanthera alone and it's starting to get a little bushier so I think much like the vals they were just picking at snail eggs so that's something. So the other obvious plants to try would be swords, crypts or anubias, anyone got any recommendations for interesting varieties or which ones are less likely to be delicious to fish?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Dirty glass, sad plant, kinda blurry. Kribs ain't happy I'm bothering them when they're finally starting to think about making babies. Gotta clean the glass, Getting more plants Thursday, ferts should come today.

Male:

Female:

Sorry for the bad pics, but this is the first time they've really started to act like a breeding pair. I'm excited.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I have an unused Coralife 21" 6700k compact fluorescent bulb with a straight pin base:
http://www.bigalspets.com/6-700k-co...CFQ4yaQod7oUAuQ

Mine has a different box. UPC is the same though. It is 100% unused, and it needs to go. Retails at like $30-35.

Anyone want it for $20 (includes shipping)? Canadians and whatnot may have to pay more.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Anyone have experience with dwarf crayfish?

I'm cycling a small tank now for a pair of them, and there doesn't seem to be any consensus online if I need an air stone or not. It's a planted tank with a dwarf hairgrass carpet (hopefully...) some Java ferns and cryptocoryne undulata, so it should be generating some oxygen on its own.

Also, how bad is the climbing problem? Do I need to Saran Wrap around the filter opening in the lid?

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Since when are 5-6gal tanks ~$40 for the tank alone? :cmon:

Anyways, excited to get back into the red cherry shrimp game! A small planted tank with 8-10 small plants and about 30 shrimp to start, hopefully they'll bloom to 150-200ish at their colony peak. 150 shrimp is awesome in such a small tank. I'd be happy as hell! My last shrimp tank got exterminated when I went out of town for a long time and came back to a completely dry tank :(

I have a friend now who's willing to keep the tank in her room, so she can keep an eye on it for me. Not that a tank like this requires hardly any maintenance lol. How well the tank does Will really depend on her tap water and how the temperature fluctuates in her room, I've found as long as a water temp of 77-82 is maintained, the water pH/hardness is consistent from tap, the light is on a timer, they are fed at least once a week, or very sparingly daily, that the plants and shrimp will be happy and healthy.

This time around I'm going to make an effort to mix up the gene pool a lot by adding foreign cherries from different sources, so that don't sterilize themselves by inbreeding this time.

I'm super excited to plant the tank and plan out what plants I want and where. I miss my little shrimpies.

So pumped to get back in da skrimp game babyyyy ayeeeeee

I love shrimp.

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 10, 2015

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Since I only have two Endlers left in my 5 gallon tank, I might get a betta after these fish die. I'd like to add more plants to the tank, as I only have one anubia nana that has been growing well in the driftwood I have in my tank. I have that beginner gravel I was recommended to buy at petsmart when I got the tank years ago, and I bought Api's first layer pure laterite at one point but I haven't used yet. Would it be ok to mix this one with regular gravel? Also, should I wait until the first die before I do this?

Edit: I've also been looking to what other small plants I can add, and most I've seen are anubias in aquariumplants.com. The moss seems to grow faster than I want, and I don't want to add more rocks or driftwood to my small tank. Could you guys give me other suggestions for small plants that can be buried? :(

Chido fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 10, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You cant really add laterite to the gravel layer without getting the fish out. Its the sort of project you'd want to rehouse your fish for awhile for because you're putting in a dirt layer. Even with a gravel layer going on top you'd want to give the water time to settle since it will be cloudy as hell

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Then I'll wait until the fish die (I've had them for over a year now, and these are the only two that survived last year's heatwave). I want a small pretty tank full of plants and my nerite snail roaming around, and maybe a betta.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Fejsze posted:

Anyone have experience with dwarf crayfish?

I'm cycling a small tank now for a pair of them, and there doesn't seem to be any consensus online if I need an air stone or not. It's a planted tank with a dwarf hairgrass carpet (hopefully...) some Java ferns and cryptocoryne undulata, so it should be generating some oxygen on its own.

Also, how bad is the climbing problem? Do I need to Saran Wrap around the filter opening in the lid?

I once had a Crayfish. It climbed some driftwood, jumped to the heater, got out of the tank, and was found dead a week later in the basement. Cover any and all holes, even if the look too small. Inverts can be escape artists and Crays are the worst of them. Maybe try lowering the water level and giving them a spot they can get to that's out of the water, but not the tank. It works for Fiddler Crabs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The tail flicks of shrimp, prawns, crays and other similar shaped crustaceans are pretty drat powerful and can shoot them a good distance through water or air. A good lid is a must. Even then I kept finding dried out shrimp occasionally.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

SynthOrange posted:

The tail flicks of shrimp, prawns, crays and other similar shaped crustaceans are pretty drat powerful and can shoot them a good distance through water or air. A good lid is a must. Even then I kept finding dried out shrimp occasionally.

I had a 4" Vampire Shrimp (Atya gabonensis) kill itself by molting and slamming into the glass. Drop a Ghost Shrimp on the ground and watch it fly a few feet up and over. Confirming they can move a LOT faster than you think.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Kept local river crayfish years ago. You know those plastic all-in-one hoods with the cut-to-fit strip in the back? They could dislodge that and launch themselves clear of the tank in a single tailflick. We had to weigh it down with a decently sized rock. Of course, then they would just climb the filter stem or airline and brute force their way through.

Dwarf crayfish probably aren't going to have that kind of lid-opening inertia, but secure the gaps and weigh down any lightweight parts, especially if there's something going through like airline that the crayfish can climb.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

cheese posted:

Wetspot has always been great shipping, same with John K (aka Snook) on Aquabid. Shipping fish is pretty good, and some people even ship internationally. I don't recommend that for a beginner though.

For crays, years ago I had a five inch bastard I kept in a 20 long, and he managed to find the one small hole for airline tubing and managed to lift that part of the lid. I heard the thump of him landing on the dresser, and off he ran, but thankfully I netted the fucker before he got to the ground. But for some odd reason I rarely find cherries outside of my open-air tanks. Maybe the duckweed keeps them all in.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Back with my first nano shrimp tank (1 gal) I came home to find out that my cat had learned a new trick. If she hit the side of the tank with her paw, the RCS would jump out and she got a free snack. Did take me a few hours to figure out where all my shrimp had gone until I happened to walk into my office and caught her thumping the tank.

Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure to seal/tape down the lid, since I'm using a sponge filter hanging on the lip will be a bit interesting.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Ordering fish online isn't a big deal at all. Like someone said earlier fish stores all get their fish shipped. Most of the time its the only way to get a lot of species of fish aside from the normal basic cichlids and tetras you get from the local shop.

You may also ask your local store if they can order what you are looking for.

I've ordered probably 30 fish online in the last 5 years and I haven't had an issue yet.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Whale Cancer posted:

Ordering fish online isn't a big deal at all. Like someone said earlier fish stores all get their fish shipped. Most of the time its the only way to get a lot of species of fish aside from the normal basic cichlids and tetras you get from the local shop.

You may also ask your local store if they can order what you are looking for.

I've ordered probably 30 fish online in the last 5 years and I haven't had an issue yet.

Standard azgardens caveat here.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
YEEES pretty plants soon. 40 breeder is getting the gently caress out of my life, and everything else is fuckin' aces. Winnin' it at the aquarium game and winnin' at loving life.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

xxEightxx posted:

Standard azgardens caveat here.

Azgardens is great! They hosed up so bad that 90% of my poo poo came in dead AND they completely failed to charge me for fish/shrimp/plants/shipping. gently caress them, they suck bad, but at least in my case they hosed up bad enough that they forgot to try and make me pay.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Desert Bus posted:

Azgardens is great! They hosed up so bad that 90% of my poo poo came in dead AND they completely failed to charge me for fish/shrimp/plants/shipping. gently caress them, they suck bad, but at least in my case they hosed up bad enough that they forgot to try and make me pay.

I still have like a hundred dollar credit with them for dead fish and improperly packaged plants. Can't even be assed to redeem it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I have no experience with az gardens and I've never heard of them.

Live aquaria, wet spot, and Jeff rapps are all great.