Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Inept posted:

Bad with money is using this guy's financial adviser (or most financial advisers):

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=160071

He basically lost a couple hundred thousand dollars in returns over the last 5 years because of his lovely adviser.

He's in his early 50's. Do you want him in 100% equities?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

ohgodwhat posted:

He's in his early 50's. Do you want him in 100% equities?

If you look further down the thread the guy says his adviser has him allocated into nearly 30 funds and does around 40 trades a year on each account. The issue here is not the stocks/bonds split.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Oh yeah, Schwab and its ilk are poo poo, but it's also pretty wrong to go, the market was up 80%! All that money on the table lost!

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

pig slut lisa posted:

If you look further down the thread the guy says his adviser has him allocated into nearly 30 funds and does around 40 trades a year on each account. The issue here is not the stocks/bonds split.

It sounds like he's gotten lousy returns, but it's still inappropriate to compare the performance of his mixed portfolio to the S&P or the Dow.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

Blackjack2000 posted:

It sounds like he's gotten lousy returns, but it's still inappropriate to compare the performance of his mixed portfolio to the S&P or the Dow.

There's still the legitimate question "what is the investment strategy and how does it differ from these well known indexes..."

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

I don't disagree.

MentalStaples
Sep 25, 2007
Is bath and body product "investment" worse than truck equity? I thought the picture was bad enough until saw the last comment.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Holy poo poo. I love Lush products but that is an obscene amount. The cost estimate in the comments is probably not wrong. Why would you want that much at once? It would take forever to use, and by the time you did, the limited seasonal stuff would be out again anyway.

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.
I cannot fathom why someone would use the word investment about bath products (nice though Lush is)

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

MentalStaples posted:

Is bath and body product "investment" worse than truck equity? I thought the picture was bad enough until saw the last comment.

That person is going to have quality baths for loving years.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

A bit of background on someone I know: (32 year old male)

has been with girlfriend for 12 years
has gone to jail for hitting her 2 times
relinquished custody of their 2 children to his mom
got booted from a boilermakers union
borrowed from annuity to buy 30k house
didn't retain any tax money from disbursement
has 'run' a dj/karaoke business with pirated music for almost 6 years
credit destroyed from multiple auto-credit defaults
makes jug wine in his garage
mentally unstable, narcissist with illusions of grandeur
pending disability case, claiming his mental state precludes him from regular employment (I tend to agree at this point)

We were talking and he's frustrated that his DJ service isn't taking off quicker. For reference his 'logo' is a skull with a crown on it.
It seems he charges $100 where as his competitors with $10,000 Bose systems and paid for music are 'undercutting' him at $75 a night.

His solution to this problem is to borrow more from the annuity and upgrade his equipment and purchase a projector/screen combo.

There are days in the average month that there are no lights or water on in his home, but his unlimited phone plan has never suffered because he needs it for work.

People that care about him have all but given up on trying to talk rationally to him, it's just this nod and smile thing. Weirdly, his narcissism means he's usually pretty drat happy in the poo poo hole he calls his life. They just let him do his thing and try not to trigger his emotional outbursts.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BossRighteous posted:

relinquished custody of their 2 children to his mom
buy 30k house
pirated music
makes jug wine in his garage

I'm seeing some good with money diamonds hidden inside this lump of coal :v:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

pig slut lisa posted:

I'm seeing some good with money diamonds hidden inside this lump of coal :v:

lol for sure
He was bitching about the city not letting him collect rain water and is certain it's a ploy to make him run city water to his home.

I should mention the $30k home happened after he destroyed and abandoned an $80k prefab modular home.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

ohgodwhat posted:

Oh yeah, Schwab and its ilk are poo poo, but it's also pretty wrong to go, the market was up 80%! All that money on the table lost!

In his post he is about 50% stocks. Even at that level, his portfolio should be up around 45-50% when you include bond/reit returns. He's up 15%. That is hundreds of thousands when you have over half a million invested.

Inept fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 7, 2015

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

MentalStaples posted:

Soap equity?

District Selectman
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Blackjack2000 posted:

Yeah, a lot of people do that, as if being 100% in the S&P is some super safe baseline against which to compare everything.

It's entirely possible and reasonable that half of his equites are (and even should be) in foreign markets. MSCI EAFE is up only 15% over the last 5 years. MSCI Emerging Markets is *down* 4% over the last 5 years. Barclays Aggregate Bond Fund is up 5% over the last 5 years.

Not saying that his returns couldn't be better, but he could also be following a sound and reasonable strategy and very much underperform vs. the S&P500

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2y97su/how_fast_can_i_buy_a_house_in_illinois_on_30kyr/ posted:

Okay, little background. I just landed a job about a month ago making 30k with decent health, dental, and vision insurance. It also has 401k , which I plan to get on top of immediately.
I have no college degrees, 320$ in credit card debt. This is MY ONLY DEBT. It'll be paid off in 3 months, I'm putting 100 towards it until month 3, I'll put 120 on it.
I'm currently living in a house that will be foreclosed on next year. It's my girlfriends mother's house. I pay her 400 in rent just to keep the debt collectors off her back so she can sleep at night.
So for ease on the eyes, here's expenses listed.
Credit card: 100/mo for next 3 months Car insurance: 65/mo Internet: 100/mo Gas to job (it's far): about 280/mo
I'm trying to afford a house by the time we move out. I have about 2.5k in the bank right now.
I don't think it's possible, but what do you guys think is the best way to afford this as soon as possible?
Houses were looking at in the area we want are between 150k-250k
If there's any info you need please let me know, I will edit. All info is appreciated. I want to right more but I just remembered I have to get to Comcast to return gear we don't use right now to avoid renters fees, they close in 1.5 hours lol.
Thank you for reading and for any advice

"It'll take me three months to pay off a $320 debt. The logical next step is signing up for a $150,000 debt."

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

jaymeekae posted:

I cannot fathom why someone would use the word investment about bath products (nice though Lush is)

Especially because LUSH products legitimately expire. They mean business with their expiration dates.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Breetai posted:

The first time I saw American car commercials I was completely appalled because not once did they actually show the price of the vehicle in any kind of clear manner - they may have put it in the fine print, but you would have to have paused it to actually found it. Like, I know that America as a whole has a debt problem, but when advertisers are directly approaching with the attitude of "you don't even need to know ho much it costs, but let's see if you can afford the payments" it explains a lot.

I'm not sure what your recollection is but many if not most American car commercials show a price. Granted it's a often a fictitious "starting at" base model price for a car with no options that has to be special ordered and you wouldn't really want to drive, but it's a price.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.

RheaConfused posted:

Especially because LUSH products legitimately expire. They mean business with their expiration dates.

They do. I liked living near one when I was in the UK, since their stuff is nice on my horribly dry, sensitive skin. :shobon: But a bar of soap and some lotion isn't a huge deal (the shampoo bars are nice, too since I moved into a cheaper room with a shared bathroom and hated lugging bottles around). Some of the stuff didn't seem quite worth it to me to use regularly.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I'm not sure what your recollection is but many if not most American car commercials show a price. Granted it's a often a fictitious "starting at" base model price for a car with no options that has to be special ordered and you wouldn't really want to drive, but it's a price.

Many luxury brands do the "$399/mo for well qualified lessees." Even Ford sometimes relies on the low intro APR and just blows past total cost.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

BossRighteous posted:

It seems he charges $100 where as his competitors with $10,000 Bose systems and paid for music are 'undercutting' him at $75 a night.

His solution to this problem is to borrow more from the annuity and upgrade his equipment and purchase a projector/screen combo.

If $75 a night was the going rate, I would get the hell out of that business. After the large upfront cost of vehicle + equipment + non-pirated music, gas, insurance for vehicle and said equipment, etc I don't see how that'd be worth anyone's time time to do.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

In the Midwest I swear to god all the DJ/Karaoke people buy the equipment solely so they can share incredible singing talents with the region. They are usually gadget consumerists doing it as a hobby. There are legitimate outfits but they don't dick around with small time bars in towns of 2000 people.

CtrlMagicDel
Nov 11, 2011

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If $75 a night was the going rate, I would get the hell out of that business. After the large upfront cost of vehicle + equipment + non-pirated music, gas, insurance for vehicle and said equipment, etc I don't see how that'd be worth anyone's time time to do.

My understanding, from talking to a guy who does Karaoke and DJ stuff, is that most people are getting out of that business because the Karaoke music licenses are way more expensive, and those seem like pretty standard going rates.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Using pirated *anything* to earn a living with is bad with money.

jaymeekae
Aug 30, 2003

I sound hot when I swear my f*cking head off.

Propaniac posted:

"It'll take me three months to pay off a $320 debt. The logical next step is signing up for a $150,000 debt."

Lol also he lists all his expenses but neglects to mention that he HAS A BABY (he casually throws it out in a later comment).

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004
Where do these people live that Internet costs $100 or more per month?

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Man tell me where you can get a DJ for $75-100 a night with equipment, $300-500 is what you're going to pay if you want someone besides your frat brother DJing off his macbook

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh reddit, never stop:

quote:

Hello! I need some advice... We purchased a home in 2009 and had to move accross the country so we rented it in 2011. The current rent payment we get is $200 less than our mortgage/HOA fees. The rental prices in the area have increased about $200, that's $1800 a month. This would cover the payments if we tell our tenants we want to increase their rent payment. (which my husband does not want to do).

We owe 80k in credit cards and car loans. We are working to pay off our debt. With our income it will take 3-4 years to pay everything off.

But it occurred to me that we could sell our house which has about 80k-100k in equity and get out off debt. Start fresh... We both have steady jobs, he is active duty USMC so we move a lot. We do not plan to move back in the house.

We want to be financially independent and start saving for retirement as soon as possible. What would you do?

Summary:
    -Renting out a house from the other side of the country at a $200/month loss
    -$80K in consumer debt
    -Will never intend on moving back yet can't decide if they should sell a money losing house to pay off debt

All it's missing is "and we want to buy a new house soon" or "and also we have or are going to have a kid(s)".

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

CtrlMagicDel posted:

My understanding, from talking to a guy who does Karaoke and DJ stuff, is that most people are getting out of that business because the Karaoke music licenses are way more expensive, and those seem like pretty standard going rates.

$75 is not the "going rate" anywhere except maybe little podunk shitholes where the "KJ" has an old CD player and a $50 Walmart speaker. Even here in Vegas, which is the worst major market I have ever seen in terms of both KJ talent and KJ pay, there are only a couple of guys who won't just laugh and walk away for $75. That handful does have a depressive effect on pay for everyone, but it's most noticeable at crummy venues where the only criteria for getting a show is ,"will work cheap." You don't want to work most of those places, anyway.

On an individual basis, paying for karaoke songs isn't so expensive. The problem is that people want you to have every song they've ever heard of, and they want you to have every version that was ever made, so they can sing DK, or Sound Choice, or Music Maestro, or Sunfly, or Chartbusters, or whatever their fancy is. The "two bucks per song" model simply doesn't work when you have to have 30,000 songs. It may not be right, but when people are faced with, "don't do it," or "copy someone else's collection for $200," it's easy to see which they're going to go with. The biggest player, Sound Choice, had ample opportunities to see this and adapt. Instead, they chose to go all scorched-earth with massive, ridiculous lawsuits, and heavy-handed threats and harassment. They hosed it up so badly, they basically went out of business while getting laughed out of courtrooms all over the nation. After they got stomped, it was pretty much open-season on stealing karaoke songs and performing in any venue without fear of punishment, so the problem is now more wide-spread than ever.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Celador posted:

The closest I can get is $90/mo for the Ultra High Speed Mega Boost Lightning Fast internet. Moderate speed is more like $65/mo once the promo pricing wears off. I live about an hour north of Chicago, for what it's worth.

If that reddit OP lives even closer to Chicago, it wouldn't surprise me to see the prices creep up more. poo poo's expensive around here.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Centripetal Horse posted:

$75 is not the "going rate" anywhere except maybe little podunk shitholes where the "KJ" has an old CD player and a $50 Walmart speaker. Even here in Vegas, which is the worst major market I have ever seen in terms of both KJ talent and KJ pay, there are only a couple of guys who won't just laugh and walk away for $75. That handful does have a depressive effect on pay for everyone, but it's most noticeable at crummy venues where the only criteria for getting a show is ,"will work cheap." You don't want to work most of those places, anyway.

On an individual basis, paying for karaoke songs isn't so expensive. The problem is that people want you to have every song they've ever heard of, and they want you to have every version that was ever made, so they can sing DK, or Sound Choice, or Music Maestro, or Sunfly, or Chartbusters, or whatever their fancy is. The "two bucks per song" model simply doesn't work when you have to have 30,000 songs. It may not be right, but when people are faced with, "don't do it," or "copy someone else's collection for $200," it's easy to see which they're going to go with. The biggest player, Sound Choice, had ample opportunities to see this and adapt. Instead, they chose to go all scorched-earth with massive, ridiculous lawsuits, and heavy-handed threats and harassment. They hosed it up so badly, they basically went out of business while getting laughed out of courtrooms all over the nation. After they got stomped, it was pretty much open-season on stealing karaoke songs and performing in any venue without fear of punishment, so the problem is now more wide-spread than ever.

It seems like Youtube has every karaoke song I'd ever want - do karaoke bars stream songs from Youtube for free yet, or is that too forward-thinking

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Open a YouTube themed bar/restaurant, and take out a 401k loan and HELOC to do it.

CtrlMagicDel
Nov 11, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Open a YouTube themed bar/restaurant, and take out a 401k loan and HELOC to do it.

Also borrow money from your relatives and tap into your truck equity.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Celador posted:

Probably as part of a cable package.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Powerlurker posted:

Probably as part of a cable package.

I pay like $110/mo for just internet, although it is the fastest available in my area. :911:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

EugeneJ posted:

It seems like Youtube has every karaoke song I'd ever want - do karaoke bars stream songs from Youtube for free yet, or is that too forward-thinking

No shows run exclusively off Youtube. Plenty of KJs are hip to using Youtube, and will stream songs for you if you want something that is not in their collections but is available on Youtube.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

[quote="http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2yepjx/absurdly_massive_private_student_loan_debt/" post="Reddit"]
Hello, PF! I am very new to reddit, but I am optimistic that I may actually be able to get some sound financial advice in a situation that typically only receives gasps or condolences.
Now, first and foremost, I want to emphasize that I am fully cognizant of how absolutely ludicrous, stupid, and irresponsible my decisions were in amassing the debt I now labor under. Truth be told, I didn't expect to be alive when these loans came due, and so accordingly I acted with complete reckless disregard for my financial future.
Currently I owe over $175,000 to 5 different lenders and have a measly AS in paralegal studies. My monthly minimum payments total about $1,300, with the smallest bill being a $50 monthly payment for a federal stafford loan. The rest are from private lenders, including PNC, Chase, and Wells Fargo, he latter being my most significant lender. My total debt with WF is around $80,000 with a monthly minimum of $800 on a 10 year term. Each loan was co-signed by my evidently equally financially illiterate parents.
I'm currently unemployed, and none of the private banks give a poo poo. I have looked into every possible deferment or forgiveness or remediation option out there, and I don't qualify for anything. I'm currently paying out of pocket for a single 3-credit course at a local university, because this qualifies me for in-school deferment with WF. I know that it's a terrible arrangement because interest continues to accrue while I'm in school, and upon completion it's added to the principal amount so I end up paying interest on interest, but paying an $1,100 tuition bill over a four month period is far more manageable than paying $3,200 to WF. I'm operating in emergency mode, trying everything I can to avoid default and just barely keeping myself above water. My credit score is garbage, of course.
Bottom line is, I feel 100% hopeless in this situation, not only in the present circumstance but in the long term. It seems like even if I scrape by here, my credit and finances are so hosed that they'll never be salvageable. I know it's my own fault, but I don't know how to fix it and there are seemingly no ways for me to ease the burden. I can't apply for a consolidation because nobody will give me a consolidation loan for $180,000. I do have a prospective job in process, which could end up netting me about $31,000 annually after taxes, but that barely covers the loan payments. If I'm meeting the monthly minimums, I have to earn double the poverty level to still live in poverty.
Is there any possible way for me to work my way out of this? I have no immediate or reasonable opportunity to make enough money to live AND pay these loans. My co-signers can barely cover their own expenses and occasionally can contribute $300-$500 a month, but I am primarily on my own here. Am I doomed to wage slavery for the rest of my life?
Any help or advice would be immensely appreciated.
[/quote]

This guy is absurdly selfish. He borrowed $175,000 for an associates degree expecting to die before paying his debts off, and had his parents co-sign on his loans.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I'm out of words at trying to come up with a response to that one. First how is it possible to get that much debt on an associates degree? Aren't most programs like 2-3 years tops? Second he's completely hosed his parents, most likely ruining himself and them for life.

quote:

I still don't undrstand. You accrued debt because you thought you were going to die, but then had your parents co-sign? Are you the most selfish person to ever live or did you decide against your murder-suicide plot?

dietcokefiend fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Not a Children posted:

This guy is absurdly selfish. He borrowed $175,000 for an associates degree expecting to die before paying his debts off, and had his parents co-sign on his loans.

This guy is so hosed it is stressing me out.

• Locked thread