Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
It's more about generating constant small scandals to change perceptions than it is about finding the smoking gun that takes her out of the race. No one is going to change their vote because of this email thing but 2 years worth of email-like-things may cause a conservative voter who would have stayed home otherwise to vote, or a democrat who would have voted to stay home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Good Citizen posted:

It's more about generating constant small scandals to change perceptions than it is about finding the smoking gun that takes her out of the race. No one is going to change their vote because of this email thing but 2 years worth of email-like-things may cause a conservative voter who would have stayed home otherwise to vote, or a democrat who would have voted to stay home.

This would be a great strategy if only it hadn't been tried for literally a decade. A decade in the middle of which her husband was reelected in a landslide.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

This would be a great strategy if only it hadn't been tried for literally a decade. A decade in the middle of which her husband was reelected in a landslide.

Yeah, luckily Republicans haven't successfully used a similar trick after the Clinton presidency.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Well it's not like they can change strategies now. They have an entire industry built up around this tactic.

And honestly it hasn't been completely ineffective against Obama. It just wasn't effective enough to knock him out of a Potus election.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

remusclaw posted:

Killer Robot, as to Japan and Germany, I suppose there can be something said for accelerationism there if the end goal for accelerationism is to get the Country in question bent over a table and hosed mercilessly by a coalition of foreign military powers.

Japan and Germany had an outside force restructuring them that had no interest in preserving the status of the prior elites.

Accelerationism could work in the US if we also had an outside power that would step in and enforce a new order after everything went to hell. Benevolent space aliens perhaps or an empowered UN. It would still only succeed at the cost of immense human suffering and misery in this generation. But given someone to play the part of outside enforcer it can work.

You need that outsider because the damage done by accelerationism to the populace brings out the worst of humanity by making everyone desperate and extra tribal. It diminishes the ability of the people inside the bubble to fix the problems.

McAlister fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 8, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, luckily Republicans haven't successfully used a similar trick after the Clinton presidency.

The thing is it only works for a limited amount of time. Against a boring guy nobody previously knew, it's fairly effective. Against a charismatic guy nobody previously knew it's not effective enough. However if you run the play relentlessly for almost a quarter of a loving century you're going to get nothing off it. At that point you've not only sapped all effectiveness from the tactic but made your target all but immune to actual scandals. Hillary is going to have to do some crazy poo poo on the level of the more interesting conspiracy theories about the Clintons in order for it to actually make an impact at this point.

Congratulations Republicans, your attempts to strike her down have made her more powerful than you could ever imagine.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

USPOL clickbait:

Hillary in Nixon's shadow

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That's fine, Nixon was elected twice.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The problem with accelerationism in the US is simple: when the poo poo hits the fan, do you think Americans are going to move towards a radical right-wing solution or a radical left-wing solution? Also, who do you think will replace America on the world stage and where are they on human rights?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Shbobdb posted:

The problem with accelerationism in the US is simple: when the poo poo hits the fan, do you think Americans are going to move towards a radical right-wing solution or a radical left-wing solution? Also, who do you think will replace America on the world stage and where are they on human rights?

Well to be fair, where are we on human rights? You can't turn a blind eye to the fact that America's been waging a war on its own black and poor and female citizens for, like, ever. It comes off dangerously nationalistic to think of America as some shining beacon that is single-handedly keeping the world from committing human rights abuses.

But yeah, chances are we would fall hard right-wing and it would not be good. Accelerationism is for sociopaths.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 7, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

nutranurse posted:

Well to be fair, where are we on human rights? You can't turn a blind eye to the fact that America's been waging a war on its own black and poor and female citizens for, like, ever. It comes off dangerously nationalistic to think of America as some shining beacon that is single-handedly keeping the world from committing human rights abuses.

But yeah, chances are we would fall hard right-wing and it would not be good. Accelerationism is for sociopaths.

In the context of a new world hegemon, I think the question of human rights is more about where are they on other countries human rights rather than their own human rights. Hypocrisy sucks, but a lack of hypocrisy isn't going to be awesome for everyone else.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Gyges posted:

In the context of a new world hegemon, I think the question of human rights is more about where are they on other countries human rights rather than their own human rights. Hypocrisy sucks, but a lack of hypocrisy isn't going to be awesome for everyone else.

Why assume another global hegemon (read: who?) rather than a multipolar situation where military interventions are simply less common because no one will be willing to spend enough to build that capacity?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Why assume another global hegemon (read: who?) rather than a multipolar situation where military interventions are simply less common because no one will be willing to spend enough to build that capacity?

Even if a multipolar situation is the future it's quite unlikely that military interventions will become less common, given the last time we were in a multipolar world.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

Even if a multipolar situation is the future it's quite unlikely that military interventions will become less common, given the last time we were in a multipolar world.

Yeah the era of Great Powers certainly wasn't peaceful.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The need of an outside force is a big flaw in accelerationism's reading of history. In the past there was a clear contest of narratives (free market west vs. communist east, segregationists vs. integrationists, etc) where the democratic process tries to find a third way.

Without a prominent alternative politicians just double down on their existing policies. Which is why we need a fascist party offering a constitutional convention and drastic change. It will put the spurs to the establishment politicians toward needed reforms.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Rand Paul: "Same-sex marriage offends me and others"

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Motherfucker loves Flamin' Hot Cheetos.

Also it sounds more like he's advocating the old libertarian solution of not calling the legal parts of marriage "marriage" but "contracts between adults" and therefor sidestepping the issue entirely.

Republicans fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 7, 2015

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm offended :qq:

Political Correctness gone mad!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
You are formally on the wrong side of history in this battle, Rand, the entire country is gonna have legal same sex marriage within 5 years at this rate. All you're doing is hurting your libertarian cred. Not that you really have much anymore.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
but guys, we had a multi-polar situation a hundred years ago, and just think about how much more peaceful it was! You are seeing mass unrest and protests in Greece, Spain, and Portugal today, now compare that with what things were like in Europe in 1915!

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

McDowell posted:

The need of an outside force is a big flaw in accelerationism's reading of history. In the past there was a clear contest of narratives (free market west vs. communist east, segregationists vs. integrationists, etc) where the democratic process tries to find a third way.

Without a prominent alternative politicians just double down on their existing policies. Which is why we need a fascist party offering a constitutional convention and drastic change. It will put the spurs to the establishment politicians toward needed reforms.

My big problem with it is its ignoring of how people can make change if they actually try to build grass roots, yeah the system is against you, but its not Sissphyian to oppose it. People in general know the system is very sick and want it to change, and giving them the correct alternative really does change things for the better. Just look at how Neoliberals are being pushed in Chicago,neo Liberals can be put in their place within the party, and trying to only concentrate on getting the one true progressive(TM) elected president really doesn't accomplish the change necessary, the Dems will not have a Reagan like figure till the party as a whole has been changed.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

JT Jag posted:

You are formally on the wrong side of history in this battle, Rand, the entire country is gonna have legal same sex marriage within 5 years at this rate. All you're doing is hurting your libertarian cred. Not that you really have much anymore.
Why would this hurt his position with his voters, if they are as offended as him?

Also, some people clearly just like being on the wrong side of history.

edit: also some people like being offended.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 7, 2015

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
No no no, you guys are all wrong. Gay people don't offend him, it's just the fact that they are using a straight person word to describe their dirty, perverse "love", that's all.

*Insert clip of Ron Paul in Bruno here*

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

JT Jag posted:

He's trying with the libertarian standard "make it a civil contract relationshipwhich we can't call marriage because I'm a gigantic crybaby" thing, because when you've already drawn criticism for opposing the Civil Rights Act, arguing that we give separate but equal another shot sure seems like the bright thing to do.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Internet Webguy posted:

No no no, you guys are all wrong. Gay people don't offend him, it's just the fact that they are using a straight person word to describe their dirty, perverse "love", that's all.

*Insert clip of Ron Paul in Bruno here*

Man that scene was just great.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Grand Paul desires to have his cake and eat his cake and gently caress his cake

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

It's true, you cant even really depend on an outside power forcibly applying a fix to the acceleration issue can you. All you have to do is look at North Korea to find a situation where the powers most concerned think its more trouble than its worth to force change. With the kind of armament the U.S has I cant see anyone particularly willing to push things if we swing extreme right.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Huh, I always thought it was conservatives who were going on about how no one has a right to be offended.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Republicans posted:

Motherfucker loves Flamin' Hot Cheetos.

Also it sounds more like he's advocating the old libertarian solution of not calling the legal parts of marriage "marriage" but "contracts between adults" and therefor sidestepping the issue entirely.

Wait, what is up with his Red Right Hand, there?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Red Minjo posted:

Some kind of stage lighting

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Red Minjo posted:

There's something red that has a lot of light on it nearby.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Red Minjo posted:

It's a sign of arousal, like the red rear end of a baboon.

Probably stage lights.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You'll see him in your head, on the TV screen, and hey buddy, I'm warning you to turn it off

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Red Minjo posted:

He is the anti-Hellboy, sent to destroy the BPRD.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
He is a big Nick Cave fan.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

CheesyDog posted:

You'll see him in your head, on the TV screen, and hey buddy, I'm warning you to turn it off

But the stacks of green paper in his red right hand would be filthy fiat currency?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Fried Chicken posted:

but guys, we had a multi-polar situation a hundred years ago, and just think about how much more peaceful it was! You are seeing mass unrest and protests in Greece, Spain, and Portugal today, now compare that with what things were like in Europe in 1915!

I'd go with a comparison to 1918 over 1915; the institutional collapse between '15 and '18 is far too great to ignore.

We aren't in a multi-polar world, we're in an American world with policies which continue the spirit of isolationism. Our Congress is returning to a pre-WW2 standard of operations, and we've changed our constitution to prevent a return to bipartisanship.

Clinton for a third term; having Presidents govern with a third term potential in mind produces improved results over having Presidents govern with partisan Congresses and a resigned disposition towards abandoning power just before, during, or after redistricting

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Samurai Sanders posted:

Why would this hurt his position with his voters, if they are as offended as him?

Also, some people clearly just like being on the wrong side of history.

edit: also some people like being offended.
Part of why it might hurt his position is that 61% of Republicans under 30 favor same-sex marriage, and the Libertarian-type Republicans are more likely to support same-sex marriage than Religious-type Republicans, so it's kinda weird that Rand is going with this tactic.

Republicans basically know that they have to jettison the anti-gay marriage folks sooner or later, and I've seen the idea floated that Republicans will go the route of "gay marriage and weed while still being economically conservative". The guy most likely to try that first is was Rand Paul, who decided that he would rather side against same-sex marriage even though everyone know what's gong to happen in June (legal nationwide gay marriage).

tl;dr: Rand went for the short-term win with long term-losses, even though he was in the best position to start shifting with how the wind is blowing.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fade5 posted:

Part of why it might hurt his position is that 61% of Republicans under 30 favor same-sex marriage, and the Libertarian-type Republicans are more likely to support same-sex marriage than Religious-type Republicans, so it's kinda weird that Rand is going with this tactic.

Republicans basically know that they have to jettison the anti-gay marriage folks sooner or later, and I've seen the idea floated that Republicans will go the route of "gay marriage and weed while still being economically conservative". The guy most likely to try that first is was Rand Paul, who decided that he would rather side against same-sex marriage even though everyone know what's gong to happen in June (legal nationwide gay marriage).

tl;dr: Rand went for the short-term win with long term-losses, even though he was in the best position to start shifting with how the wind is blowing.

Could potentially be seen as a hedge to play to Rand's kentucky base, signaling that he's only flirting with a run for the idiot money while intending to stand for Senate in 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “Strom Thurmond had four kids after he was 67. If you’re not willing to do that, we need immigration.” ~ Lindsey Graham.

• Locked thread