Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I have run into exactly one hacker on Ground Zero, it's been pretty okay. Then again, I only go into the cities in groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

i don't really care about anecdotes from reddit or here. i logged in yesterday during primetime on blackout and no one was near me out in the woods, then a dude was on top of me voice blasting allah ackbar as i instadied. i reported and closed the client.

hackers are still in charge of the game.

Pretty rich coming from a dude who just posted an anecdote and nothing else.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Vahakyla posted:

Pretty rich coming from a dude who just posted an anecdote and nothing else.

end result is still the same. we all post anecdotes, game is still filled with scumbags. :shrug:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
No hackers on annihilation.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

Fertilizer, sugar and a cloth makes a smoke flare. Drop a bandage, which looks like a loot bag. Scope the poor pub that goes to pick it up. Voila, renewable ammo source.

Edit: Oh, if you spawn near the southeast of the map, there's a set pistol and ammo spawn at x-2950 z2450. I keep spawning around there, it's very useful.

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 3, 2015

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.
The servers are still down for the patch. They were supposed to be back up at 6am PST. Hopefully it fixes the game crashing whenever you die.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I've gotten disconnected from killing someone else, in the southeast church. Couldn't even drop a slick line on them. Terrible.

Edit: No patch notes. Just "Server stability". IE - Unfucking the last patch.

Edit edit: Now crashes are more frequent not less :soe:

DOOMocrat fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 3, 2015

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
game is totally broken now. gg.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
RIP

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

They are paying attention to the crashes. They don't have anyone ready to work on them due to a very uncomfortable reconstruction, or just aren't doing so in what I'd call an acceptable window when taking cash for the game, but they want you to know they are paying attention.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
This game is good actually

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Misandrist Duck posted:

This is a good post. Everyone needs to stop being such loving babies about dying and :qq: my 18 rounds of .45 :qq: and play the goddamn game.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

SeaborneClink posted:

This is a good post. Everyone needs to stop being such loving babies about dying and :qq: my 18 rounds of .45 :qq: and play the goddamn game.
sorry friend, but clearly the goon rush is over. trying to shame ~the forums~ won't bring anyone back.

South
Apr 9, 2001

I am the highest paid lifeguard in the world. Love me.

Misandrist Duck posted:

Except for the ESP ambotting Asian hackers.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Until they fix the game so people can't do this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYQPZJx2ek0

It is not a good game.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Legdiian posted:

Until they fix the game so people can't do this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYQPZJx2ek0

It is not a good game.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea hacks were so user friendly these days.

Would something like EAC work against this type of thing?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

My thoughts after playing a while:

1. Crafting is a joke. Why even have crafting in the game unless you can develop and manufacture more substantial items? This game is very much like the board game Robinson Crusoe, which allows your to 'craft' items like 'a rope' and 'a shovel.' While this is true to the survival concept, it is incredibly boring. In some ways, this game is like a shittier minecraft (if that is possible) while incorporating the 'run for 20 minutes' of Everquest 1. This game triggers memories of running across the Karanas and seeing not a single loving spawn forever.

2. Zombies are pointless in this game. I killed 14 zombies and got 1 lighter and 2 scraps of cloth. It's a zombie game and they have no place in the game currently.

3. Combat is bad. Like really bad. I've tested the game and shot someone in the head at point blank range with a .45 and they didn't take any damage.

4. Hacking can be egregious (fly around the map invisible) or subtle, so testing is annoying. Hacks can be simple as "gain 200% health" or "disallow headshots" so you never know if you just got poo poo on by a hacker or by someone decent.

5. There is absolutely no reason to play anything but Battle Royale, in my opinion. Want to run around for hours and not find any bullets or anything? You'll love PVP servers. I realize that there is a crop of dudes who have 200+ hours logged in the game who run around with shotguns killing recently spawned dudes with a bow and 4 arrows who think there is no problem, but there is. Survival concept doesn't mean you should feel playing the game is a struggle to survive your boredom.

6. Battle Royale is decent in concept and in fact is the only reason to play this game, but suffers from many problems. First, combat sucks, as previously mentioned. Second, you can win by never fighting and you often get dropped far from the first and subsequent poison safety areas, causing you to run for days unless you get a car. The games where you kill 2-3+ people don't justify the games where you see hardly anyone.

7. Little things make the game totally obnoxious and don't get fixed fast enough. Eating/drinking needs a massive overhaul. "Hope you like unbundling items and dropping your flashlight every single time a Battle Royale starts, fuckers." Leaving a car changes you back to first person perspective (gently caress this). Sometimes guns lock so you can't scope out to shoot unless you fire a shot or some other action. Sometimes you get locked into a crouch. Standing close to objects puts you in a 'happy feet' mode where you continually make noise. Every object in the game clips horribly- Agro a wolf and it will run through a house door to kill you or stand too close to a house wall and you can be seen on the other side. Testing Battle Royale with broken queues and crashes is one thing, but getting into a match and being dropped into the map instead of the holding area so that you have to exit and restart the game is just amateur hour.

8.The worst thing about this game right now are the 'roleplayers' who insist that the occasional 'guy operating a store' or 'sacrifice at the church' scenarios some nerds put together justify this terrible sandbox game's existence. If the game were good, you could still roleplay.

In Short: H1Z1 is a zombie game that doesn't involve zombies. H1Z1 is a survival game where unless you play A LOT and have friends, it's tedious at best to acquire goods and participate in combat. It is a combat game with bad combat. In short, it's 1/10th a game, and most of what is missing is the fun. "It's Alpha!" yes, true, but this game is FAR from beta. Like, a hundred miles away.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 7, 2015

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
You are all the type of person who shouldn't be buying early access games.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

I am exactly the type of person to buy early access games because I try to see past the obvious limitations of it being 'early release' toward what the game hopes to achieve. I can differentiate between minor annoyances and a lack of vision. This game claims to one day be a premiere zombie survival game, but it's earliest stages are completely at odds with this vision. Even horrible early access games (i.e. Horizons, Age of Conan etc.) settled on a core of the game and ignored the higher end content so that players could see the direction the game would take. This game's direction is as follows: Free to play with limited support. It's just obvious. I think my perspective would be different if they had even tried to make Zombies relevant, tried to develop a strategy to reduce the boredom of running around an empty world and tried to be different than other games that are already on the market.

To me the game is being marketed to two groups of people:

1. People who like sandbox games that don't provide much content but instead require players to do the work for them

2. First person shooter players who aren't very good at those games

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 7, 2015

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Ozmiander posted:

they don't like thing!! why don't they stop criticizing my thing!! :qq:

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Ozmiander posted:

H1Z1 barely qualifies as a game at this point. It's clear it was rushed to market to recoup some costs in the face of possibly being shutdown or reorganized with the Russian mafia buyout of their company. They needed another 6 months of development before they released this to early access, as it stands now it's a broken hacker-infested shell of an idea that doesn't do anything right really. I'm tired of game companies using the term "sandbox" to make up for their lack of a game. It's one thing to give the players the freedom to make their own fun in a game, but H1Z1 doesn't even give you the tools to do so.

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

H1Z1 barely qualifies as a game at this point. It's clear it was rushed to market to recoup some costs in the face of possibly being shutdown or reorganized with the Russian mafia buyout of their company. They needed another 6 months of development before they released this to early access, as it stands now it's a broken hacker-infested shell of an idea that doesn't do anything right really. I'm tired of game companies using the term "sandbox" to make up for their lack of a game. It's one thing to give the players the freedom to make their own fun in a game, but H1Z1 doesn't even give you the tools to do so.

Does Early Access Alpha mean something different where you're from? You're complaining about getting the exact product they advertised to you.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

YOU BOUGHT AN ALPHA. SHUT UP.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
Prison Architect was an alpha too when it came out and had 10x the gameplay.

How can you guys defend this poo poo with a straight face? I'm seriously in awe.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 7, 2015

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

cant even live long enough to experience an EA bug before a teleporter guy shotguns my face while invis lmbo

but yeah its an AAA game

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

Does Early Access Alpha mean something different where you're from? You're complaining about getting the exact product they advertised to you.

It should mean more than "this game gets a pass in regards to every single possible point of criticism."

There are very few if any redeeming qualities of this game. Everything that can be considered good also has a corresponding negative that outweighs it (such as voice comms showing players are nearby, but often voicecomms are bugged and the announcement stays on after someone is done talking or the announcements of multiple players speaking don't show simultaneously).

The fact is, an Alpha stage of a game should provide an idea of how the key elements of the game will pan out. This game does not do that. Every single thing in this game is massively underdeveloped or simply is an afterthought, when in theory they should be fundamental elements of the game that are fleshed out over time. It's currently like a race car game where you can't race. It's tantamount to a dungeon crawler with no dungeons. This is a zombie game with no zombies; a survival game where survival is that of a first person shooter rather than an actual survival MMO. Think about how happy you'll be basically playing "lovely Counterstrike" when instead of respawning with your SIG you have to craft bandages and a bow and arrow and eat berries for 40 minutes. Why play this game when you can play Counterstrike? It doesn't know what it is or what it should be and it's riding coat tails of the massively deficient Battle Royale largely because of Summit1G's stream (who they pay to play the game).

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 8, 2015

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

XyrlocShammypants posted:

My thoughts after playing a while:

I log in every now and then and usually have a decent time, but yeah, I can't really disagree with anything that you've said. There are some elements present that could make this a good game eventually, but they're not doing a good job of building the plane in flight.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Seriously? Alpha is guaranteed to be busted. Fact of life. If you can't deal with that, delete the game and come back next year.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
When I play this with 2 or 3 of my buddies and we all meet up somewhere and loot along the way then go create chaos or just see how much poo poo we can gather and bring back to our little hamster den is when I'm having the most fun in this game. We have a shitload of laughs playing together and interacting with random people.

Getting aimbotted or teleported is when it's at it's lowest.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Ozmiander posted:

Seriously? Alpha is guaranteed to be busted. Fact of life. If you can't deal with that, delete the game and come back next year.

Let's talk about the incredible stupidity inherent in this game's design currently and why no one should have any confidence that in a year we will have a better game.

Night mode: "Wouldn't it be a great idea to make every squint and try to figure out if one of the nonexistant zombies is around? Well, they aren't around, don't worry."

Spawn points when you enter the game the first time: "Let's send new players to the absolute butthole of the map upon spawning into the game. They can check the local empty cars or 4 homes (if lucky) for absolutely no loot, it'll be great!"

Using a bow as a melee weapon but not being able to use empty guns as melee weapons.

Requiring cloth/string for discovery but not requiring anything but wood to create the item later.

There is a chance to find ammo behind a refrigerator that has fallen over, or on a table in the middle of a camp site, but a 0.0% chance to find ammo inside of a dresser or desk.

And on, and on and on.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 8, 2015

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
If this thread can scrape together $20 will you promise to stop whining about a $20 alpha you signed up for?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Legdiian posted:

If this thread can scrape together $20 will you promise to stop whining about a $20 alpha you signed up for?

Maybe you can start a thread for fanboy chat and optimism if pointing out the countless bugs and design flaws creates a problem for you. The fact that the game is alpha doesn't mean anything. It's practically no coding to have ammo spawn inside containers they previously didn't, or to have players spawn in different locations. There should be patches on patches, even minor ones, that do more than 'increase the damage of shotgun."

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

It's practically no coding

Wow, you must be a seasoned game developer with lots of shipped titles. You know so much about the development process.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Maybe you guy shouldn't pay for early access of a game that is going to be FREE TO PLAY

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Maybe you can start a thread for fanboy chat and optimism if pointing out the countless bugs and design flaws creates a problem for you. The fact that the game is alpha doesn't mean anything. It's practically no coding to have ammo spawn inside containers they previously didn't, or to have players spawn in different locations. There should be patches on patches, even minor ones, that do more than 'increase the damage of shotgun."

I'm glad I don't know you in real life. You are a miserable person. And to be clear, I think the game sucks too but I've never seen someone so butt hurt (yes you are) over a $20 early alpha they willingly signed up for. Get over yourself.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Tricky Ed posted:

Wow, you must be a seasoned game developer with lots of shipped titles. You know so much about the development process.

Titles on top of titles for days

Legdiian posted:

I'm glad I don't know you in real life. You are a miserable person. And to be clear, I think the game sucks too but I've never seen someone so butt hurt (yes you are) over a $20 early alpha they willingly signed up for. Get over yourself.

Out of genuine curiosity, it's a game thread where people can discuss or poo poo on games if they choose. Is there any reason this issue is so sensitive to you? It's a silly little game that will be free to play and forgotten but suddenly my critique which I do laughing, not raging, causes you to view me as hitler. I didn't choose to insult you because you like the game, maybe get a grip yourself.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Mar 8, 2015

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

hello internet posted:

Maybe you guy shouldn't pay for early access of a game that is going to be FREE TO PLAY

This and the hacker horror stories (and lack of zombies) made me decide to just wait until it actually goes F2P, which the developers themselves have said it's going to do by the end of the year.There may even be improvements by then.

Why pay $20 now for a bad game when you can wait and get a good game for free?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Titles on top of titles for days

Out of genuine curiosity, it's a game thread where people can discuss or poo poo on games if they choose. Is there any reason this issue is so sensitive to you? It's a silly little game that will be free to play and forgotten but suddenly my critique which I do laughing, not raging, causes you to view me as hitler. I didn't choose to insult you because you like the game, maybe get a grip yourself.

Early Access alpha's aren't about playing the game, they're about investing in the development. You invest early, you get to play with the product as it develops, and have the finished product for less than the finished retail price.

This wasn't a solid $20 investment for you, the return wasn't what you wanted. Maybe it will be in 6 months, maybe it won't. But it's not an unreasonable position to find yourself in with an early access game, and I don't understand why you're pitching such a fit about it. Sometimes we just make bad investments because we get sold on a vision and it doesn't pan out the way we thought it would.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

The 20 dollars I paid was for a few fun moments and the opportunity to make fun of the game's shortcomings online. It's a better investment than books or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

NeurosisHead posted:

Early Access alpha's aren't about playing the game, they're about investing in the development. You invest early, you get to play with the product as it develops, and have the finished product for less than the finished retail price.

Hahahahaha no. This isn't an investment, you're paying for the "privilege" of playing a free game early.

And it's completely reasonable to post negatively about an unfinished product that, at this time, shows little promise (in my opinion). I don't log in much anymore because it's either getting killed by hackers every 10 minutes, or the game crashing anytime anything of interest happens. Last time I logged in, someone attacked our base and the game crashed after the first shots were fired. After I logged back in apparently I had been killed, cool. Game is virtually unplayable for a lot of people.

• Locked thread