Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Chris Knight posted:

I didn't know cartoons were drawn live.
But Chinese New Year was on Wednesday and the episode airs on Sunday so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Twiddy posted:

I mean it entirely depends on what their plan is. Anri is possibly the dumbest target in the entire city if they're going after peoples' lives, but the context seems to be a kidnapping? For how dangerous Anri is, she's also super passive so as long as no one's really threatened. She'll probably just cooperate.

I was rewatching the episode to see the bad animation (because I didn't really pay attention to that the first time), and I thought of this when they got to the Anri/Vorona fight scene, because Anri was basically telling Vorona that she would let her go no problem if she just left.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Senerio posted:

I was rewatching the episode to see the bad animation (because I didn't really pay attention to that the first time), and I thought of this when they got to the Anri/Vorona fight scene, because Anri was basically telling Vorona that she would let her go no problem if she just left.

Sadly Vorona is crazy and was not going to if Celty had not shown up. Plus she is still crazy and plans on coming back. Presumably better armed and prepared which could be bad.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sadly Vorona is crazy and was not going to if Celty had not shown up. Plus she is still crazy and plans on coming back. Presumably better armed and prepared which could be bad.

Yeah, but I'm just pointing out that Anri's the best character. This was confirmed to me at the end of Season 1 when she told herself at the end of her arc that if Izaya stirred more poo poo up for her or her friends she'd stop him, and when he stirs poo poo up, that's immediately what she sets out to do (shame she didn't unload the gun).

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009
I really hope this is the point where Mikado stops being such a wet blanket, him awkwardly stuttering through each conversation is getting really grating.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Something little about this episode.

Remember when Sloan first showed up Vorona confirmed that he had just finished a job he was given. Given the scene later in the episode it's not too hard to figure out what job he was given.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
FFS Izaya.

Steampunk_Spoon posted:

I really hope this is the point where Mikado stops being such a wet blanket, him awkwardly stuttering through each conversation is getting really grating.

I get the feeling Masaomi's gonna be the one to save the day this time, and Mikado will be the half psychotic gang leader.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Honestly this blue square/biker gang thing feels like too much of a retread of the yellow scarf stuff from last season. I'm hoping Mikado doesn't become a 'real' gang leader with this.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Steampunk_Spoon posted:

Actually this is the point now. Wouldn't you be convinced by this face?

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 1, 2015

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

This is incredibly unnerving

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it's even better in the books:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
So this show is like really subtle to me so is there anything in particularly that hints at/leads up to Mikado presumably wanting to become a gang leader?

Is this like that recent episode of Doctor Who where the Master offers the Doctor an Army to see what he'll do?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

So this show is like really subtle to me so is there anything in particularly that hints at/leads up to Mikado presumably wanting to become a gang leader?

Is this like that recent episode of Doctor Who where the Master offers the Doctor an Army to see what he'll do?

Having recently re-watched the first season after realizing I remembered gently caress all about specific events, it's really obvious in hindsight that Izaya sees Mikado as something of a kindred spirit. Pretty much the first thing he does is tell Mikado he's the type who will get bored easily if he doesn't keep evolving and blah blah blah.

Keep in mind Mikado did after all create the Dollars basically as a joke because he was bored living in the sticks.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

A couple of episodes ago Aoba was talking to his gang about how happy Mikado seemed to be about getting thrown into the middle of a battle between the van gang, Toramaru and Celty. So that pretty much. And even in season 1 he liked exciting and unique things like the Headless Rider or the Dollars itself, even if those were pretty harmless by comparison.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Steampunk_Spoon posted:

I expect him to continue stuttering like an idiot through everything, but secretly be a violent maniac, like everyone else on this show.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Raenir Salazar posted:

The show isn't exactly subtle so much as the first season didn't really have a proper ending. That is, the current arc is a continuation of a lot of stuff that was unresolved in the first season. However, because the first season ended, it feels like the first season was a complete whole and this season is a continuation based off that. In actuality, the first season is stories 1, 2, and 3 and we're currently moving into stories 4, 5, and 6 or so.

Basically, I'm pretty sure if you go back and watch season 1 plus season 2 once season 2 is complete you'll find a lot of things that maybe didn't make as much sense make a LOT more sense.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 1, 2015

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Devil Tesla posted:

I expect him to continue stuttering like an idiot through everything, but secretly be a violent maniac, like everyone else on this show.

Now, let's be fair: Shizuo's apeshit violent fits are fairly well known to the people that live/work around Ikebukuro (and a bunch of biker dudes from Saitama, I guess).

Twiddy posted:

The show isn't exactly subtle so much as the first season didn't really have a proper ending. That is, the current arc is a continuation of a lot of stuff that was unresolved in the first season. However, because the first season ended, it feels like the first season was a complete whole and this season is a continuation based off that. In actuality, the first season is stories 1, 2, and 3 and we're currently moving into stories 4, 5, and 6 or so.

Basically, I'm pretty sure if you go back and watch season 1 plus season 2 once season 2 is complete you'll find a lot of things that maybe didn't make as much sense make a LOT more sense.

I think this can be excused due to the fact that it's been like 4 and a half years since the first series ended (3 years since it was broadcast on Adult Swim), and that's a long-rear end time for lots of people.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Okay who hosed up the production team's schedule?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Okay who hosed up the production team's schedule?

It was me. I did it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

oh my god gently caress off masaomi nobody likes you

you're like a somehow shittier version of james hurley

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I liked him when he was making lovely jokes :smith:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
It's been what, a couple hours since that little poo poo Aoba put the final phases of his "plan" into motion, and already most of the major players are involved in it. That escalated remarkably quickly.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If Mikado has one advantage in this, it is that nobody really knows just how many weird hosed up friends he has, or how many weird hosed up friends they have, and so on.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Mikl posted:

It's been what, a couple hours since that little poo poo Aoba put the final phases of his "plan" into motion, and already most of the major players are involved in it. That escalated remarkably quickly.
Yeah I know it's like some people engineered this poo poo. The most interesting part to watch honestly is gonna be the subtle conflict between Aoba and Izaya, as their goals kind of align but not really.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This show is so fun, thank god.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Wild complicated goose chases never get old. :woop:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm loving the fact that Varona is basically us if we didn't know about any of these batshit insane psychopaths and their intricate web of connections. Her brain has basically imploded from an inability to parse what the gently caress is going on.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

I'm loving the fact that Varona is basically us if we didn't know about any of these batshit insane psychopaths and their intricate web of connections. Her brain has basically imploded from an inability to parse what the gently caress is going on.

I don't know about that since her reaction is basically "None of this makes any logical sense, how can these people exist? I am so psyched to fight and possibly kill them."

Varona is pretty rad.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sloan: "Why did the Black Bike take that Kid?"
Varona: "For food."
Sloan: "You're not thinking clearly are you."
Varona: "Affirmative, I am not thinking clearly."

I sort of loved that part. The words are not completely correct but this was more or less their exchange.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sloan: "Why did the Black Bike take that Kid?"
Varona: "For food."
Sloan: "You're not thinking clearly are you."
Varona: "Affirmative, I am not thinking clearly."
It's a much better guess than "Because that kid is her friend and the leader of the Dollars (which the Black Bike is in)."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say, though, the fact that Slon, a professional assassin (for a given value of 'professional') can even come close to accurately replicating a Shizuo attack is pretty scary.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Gotta say, though, the fact that Slon, a professional assassin (for a given value of 'professional') can even come close to accurately replicating a Shizuo attack is pretty scary.

He actually is far more professional then Vorona. He's weird on his own time. When doing a job or talking business with an employer, he goes for pure professionalism.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
The best part of this episode was how calm Anri is about the whole subway escape.
"Oh, you're the Yakuza that are here to pick up this girl? Wonderful!"
"Oh, hi Celty! That's a nice group of thugs you brought. So, Mikado, what are you doing here? I thought you were busy."
"I get to go on a carriage ride!"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ahaha I didn't notice the ghost seatbelts the first time around

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

ahaha I didn't notice the ghost seatbelts the first time around
Look if Celty forgot the seatbelts the traffic police would be all up in her poo poo and nobody wants that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Is is time yet for Mikado to do something other than stand around looking confused saying "eh?!" repeatedly? 'Cause that's getting old.

Luckily nothing else about this show is.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Is is time yet for Mikado to do something other than stand around looking confused saying "eh?!" repeatedly? 'Cause that's getting old.

Luckily nothing else about this show is.
WAIT. FOR. IT.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I get what they're doing with Mikado, I just wish that he were more of a quick thinker and that we were privy to more of his thoughts. Being too stunned to act decisively is probably a realistic reaction in that situation, but it'd be more fun if he began visibly (or audibly, I guess) putting the pieces together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steampunk_Spoon
May 18, 2009
I'm not sure which moment i liked best, that yakuza guy trying to explain to his boss how Shizou fights, Varona drawing completely the wrong conclusion from what she's seeing or the magic ghost carriage actually coming with seat belts.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I get what they're doing with Mikado, I just wish that he were more of a quick thinker and that we were privy to more of his thoughts. Being too stunned to act decisively is probably a realistic reaction in that situation, but it'd be more fun if he began visibly (or audibly, I guess) putting the pieces together.

Also this.

• Locked thread