Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I feel like it shouldn't be mentioned, but believe it or not, in most instances element damage is very, very handy in breaking parts. You want to break Monoblos' horn really fast? Bomb it and bring a gunner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
Resistance chat is bringing up my pet peeve with Kiranico: I really wish it would explain what it is you're looking at. Are the numbers for the resistances indicating "You will do 20% of possible Dragon damage to this part" or "Dragon element damage gets a bonus 20% to this part"?

Basically is it multiplying by .20 or 1.20? I realize the end effect is the same but it would help me wrap my head around reading which body parts are best to hit, etc.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Wouldn't a gunlance pretty much be great for these situations, given they do irreducible damage with their explosions? :shrug:

Yes. Gunlances are the superior weapon forever. Charge Blades come in a very close second because I like axes that cause explosions.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

How big is the damage boost you get from Mega Demondrugs? I'm grinding this Crimson Fatalis urgent to get Elder Dragon Bones/Blood but the fight takes me like 20 minutes and I'm looking for ways to speed it up

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Rascyc posted:

Pretty sure it is 100% damage? Kinda hazy on that one. Still not ideal though. I used a SA for that because I couldn't be bothered to wear the handicraft gore clown suit in HR. SA sword mode owns~

I'm pretty sure back in Freedom Unite bouncing reduced the physical damage, while element damage was left at 100%. Though I don't know if that's the case in MH4U or not.

Mo0 posted:

Resistance chat is bringing up my pet peeve with Kiranico: I really wish it would explain what it is you're looking at. Are the numbers for the resistances indicating "You will do 20% of possible Dragon damage to this part" or "Dragon element damage gets a bonus 20% to this part"?

Basically is it multiplying by .20 or 1.20? I realize the end effect is the same but it would help me wrap my head around reading which body parts are best to hit, etc.

On Kirinico a 20 in the damage chart should mean that the damage value is multiplied by .20 .

rhetoricalAcrobat
Aug 5, 2013
I'm curious, what forte are y'all running on your palicos? I'm pretty fond of 4 or 5 healing forte 1st stringers, just because its nice to have to worry a little less about healing and I don't want to put my weapon away.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Help Im Alive posted:

How big is the damage boost you get from Mega Demondrugs? I'm grinding this Crimson Fatalis urgent to get Elder Dragon Bones/Blood but the fight takes me like 20 minutes and I'm looking for ways to speed it up

Here's a great reference guide I found for this sort of thing: http://guidescroll.com/2015/03/mh4u-attack-buffs-guide/

So, 7 times your weapon class damage modifier as I understand it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Man, I'm reading about all this cool stuff ya'll are doing and here I am stuck trying to kill the Kecha Wecha. :saddowns: I'm so rusty at MonHun, haven't played since the first game that was on the PSP. Maybe the second.

I'm loving the Charge Blade but there's no upgrade at this point that I've seen so I may need to try something new out.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Man, I'm reading about all this cool stuff ya'll are doing and here I am stuck trying to kill the Kecha Wecha. :saddowns: I'm so rusty at MonHun, haven't played since the first game that was on the PSP. Maybe the second.

I'm loving the Charge Blade but there's no upgrade at this point that I've seen so I may need to try something new out.
You can make the Elite Blade+ before Kecha Wacha and the Defender's Blade after Kecha Wacha.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I did the Kecha with a bow at first, which actually worked out OK. The key for him is to be a little more aggressive, and don't stay under a canopy if there's one on the zone you're fighting him in. Keep him on even footing (he can't get above you) and it really helps.

You can definitely do him with the first charge blade.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I don't get why people are down on gunlance. Each burst generally does at least a small barrel bomb's worth of damage... Or 3 or 4 depending on shot type. That's not something to sneeze at, especially when dealing with tricky to break horns.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Anyone want to open and farm chameleos later? I want a new bug stick to hit things with.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

rhetoricalAcrobat posted:

I'm curious, what forte are y'all running on your palicos? I'm pretty fond of 4 or 5 healing forte 1st stringers, just because its nice to have to worry a little less about healing and I don't want to put my weapon away.

I went through the entirety of single player high rank with no skills on my ace because I didn't read the tutorial and didn't understand why you wouldnt want a diverse set of first stringers. Now I roll with mostly stealing and sometimes treasure since I love loot and boomerangs.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Yeah you can upgrade the Charge blade with out killing him as previously mentioned. You don't even need to kill him to upgrade to the Defender because you only need his longbones if you make it from scratch and you only need malachite and earth crystals if you upgrade it. The base weapons for any of the weapons are typically more then enough for him. Make sure you use the sonic bombs they give you to knock him over when he is hanging with his ears up. I wouldn't feel to bad about it though because you picked probably one of the more complicated weapons to start with.

You wont be able to upgrade it past the defender for a while but thats ok because its a pretty far ahead of anything else you can get for a long time at that point.

Vire fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 7, 2015

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
So keeping up the theme of trying stuff in this new game that I avoided before, I just gave bombing a go. My Ruby Basarios gunner set has normal up and quick sheathing, with space for some minor skill using a talisman and +2 gems and bomb boost looked like a natural fit with the fast holstering. Still worried about the expense but holy poo poo, setting off bombs on the Seregios quest and just now with a Zinogre, this is pretty sweet. Any way to get popfish faster than praying at Sunsnug?

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Sard posted:

So keeping up the theme of trying stuff in this new game that I avoided before, I just gave bombing a go. My Ruby Basarios gunner set has normal up and quick sheathing, with space for some minor skill using a talisman and +2 gems and bomb boost looked like a natural fit with the fast holstering. Still worried about the expense but holy poo poo, setting off bombs on the Seregios quest and just now with a Zinogre, this is pretty sweet. Any way to get popfish faster than praying at Sunsnug?

There are palicos that have a skill that let you get more scatterfish. If you combine that with the one that gives more rewards you should start getting 6-10 scatter fish after each haul. If you really want to optimize you could do the Gathering hall golden fish quest that lets you upgrade your caster machine and that will make it so you will get even more. I get 10-20 scatter fish after every hunt now.

LemonAIDS
Aug 7, 2009

They are pretty great.

Holy. The reward for beating the caravaneers challenge quest is amazing an armour pigment thats constantly changing colours. I love this.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
I am so glad they added that fishing point to Dundorma. An always accessible fishing point for a little bit of pocket change is great. There are definitely better ways to make cash, even low-stress options, but nothing is as simple or relaxing as fishing. Great option if you have lots of downtimes between whatever you do, but that downtime doesn't last for more than a minute or two. Go quickly suit up with Outdoorsman, hit Dundorma, and tap some buttons for a couple of minutes here and there. By the time you have enough time to sit down for anything more substantial you'll be bursting at the seems with Coinperch, and Cathangeafish Fry for the Wyporium, which will help make your Caravan Points stretch a ton further, further minimizing how much additional busy work you may ever need to do.

Only way it could be better if there was a way to convert fish into the Caravan Points....

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

rhetoricalAcrobat posted:

for general purpose stuff, 2 attack and 2 support for demon horn and shock traps and a thief cat to bring along (got me an akantor gem once, also i managed to snag one with poison damage which rules). for stuff that can't be trapped 2 attack 3 thief

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I just played with a couple of Great Sword users who spent 99% of the time running in circles and standing at mounting points instead of actually hitting the monster. After the quest, one of them tried to wear low rank armour to high rank frenzied Tigrex and got defensive when I told him to change. Everyone else was doing event quests so it's not like I had room to be picky but ugh.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/100066127137/mh4g-how-to-complete-the-wyvern-research-facility

Time to fix a few errors in this and update~

quote:

1. Village ⭐︎9, 地火に飛来する蝕龍虫
This is a quest against a Sygian Zinoger. Once you clear it you’ll be able to set anti-Frenzy stones.

1. Caravan ⭐︎9: Forge Ahead
Kill a Stygian Zinogre. It earns you the Brace (reduced damage recieved) and Force (increased damage dealt) wystones.

quote:

2. Village ⭐︎9 Urgent
This is against an Extreme Selregios.
2. Caravan ⭐︎Urgent
Kill an Apex Seregios. It demos the Drive wystone (gives Mind's Eye/ESP against Apex monsters, else literally all attacks bounce regardless of skills).

quote:

3. Online G1: 高難度:暴走する虎鮫
This is against a Frenzied Zambrios Subspecies. It’s not a key quest but you need to clear it.
3. Online G⭐︎1
Kill a Frenzied Tigerstripe Zamtrios. Bring your first wystones because this guy will bounce you to death. Literally.

quote:

4. Online G2: 高難度:怪しき骸蜘蛛達
This is against 2 Frenzied Nersylla Subspecies. By clearing this you unlock a new villager request with the Wyverian Trader. Clear it by giving him 3 hard Nersyclla shells and the appropriate bugs.
4. Online G⭐︎2
Kill 2x Frenzied Shrouded Nerscylla. After this, a new Villager Request comes in at the Wycoon in which you trade in 3x Nerscylla (normal) Cortex and 6(?) G Rank bugs (somebody can correct the bug type).

quote:

5. Online G2: 大脱走はお静かに
This is against a Frenzied Cephadrome and Frenzied Seltas/Seltas Queen . Once you clear this you’ll unlock 2 very important anti-Frenzy stones.
5. Online G⭐︎2
Kill a Frenzied Cephadrome and a Frenzied S.Queen (which calls in a Frenzied Seltas, of course). Upon completion it unlocks the Drive and Elemental (adds [extra?] elemental damage to frenzied monsters as well) wystones permanently.

quote:

6. Online G3: 侵蝕の残滓
This is against a Frenzied Azure Rathalos and Frenzied Bracchydios. Once you clear it you’ll unlock a new villager request that. Give it 3 hard azure scales and a pure crystal to clear it.
Once you do all the above, you’ll finish the facility and unlock 要塞防衛式弩砲弾 which is super ballista ammo, and 高密度滅龍炭, the ammo for the huge cannon.
6. Online G⭐︎3
Kill a Frenzied Azure Rathalos and Frenzied Brachydios. This unlocks a Villager Request that you need to give 3 Azure Rathalos Shards and a Pure Crystal. This unlocks the ability to carry two (2!) wystones and also unlocks a type of Super Ballista ammo that can only be used in the battlements. It also unlocks the Demolisher Ammo for use in the battlements.

Wyceum shop prices (all prices in Resource Points):
Portable Steam Bomb: 300pts
Dust of Life: 500 pts
Disposable Earplugs: 200 pts
Garrison Ballista Ammo: 50pts
Dense Marcoal (Demolisher ammo): 1000pts

Honestly don't know who the gently caress is going to dump 1k points into dense marcoal unless you're doing some serious expeditions to fund that poo poo. Also they restock every 5 days (cycles) or something like that.

Haquer fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Mar 8, 2015

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

LemonAIDS posted:

Holy. The reward for beating the caravaneers challenge quest is amazing an armour pigment thats constantly changing colours. I love this.

Wait, which is this?

edit: oh, you get it by doing all low rank caravan quests, gotcha.

Colapops fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 8, 2015

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Man I finally completed the Gold Rathian set. Hopefully it'll hold up for a while

Does anyone know how important Artillery is if I'm using Gunlance? I have it at +20 to get Artillery God but I dunno if it's actually a big deal or not. If it's not much of a damage boost I'd rather replace it with something to help sharpness

thanks!
vvv

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 8, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Help Im Alive posted:

Man I finally completed the Gold Rathian set. Hopefully it'll hold up for a while

Does anyone know how important Artillery is if I'm using Gunlance? I have it at +20 to get Artillery God but I dunno if it's actually a big deal or not. If it's not much of a damage boost I'd rather replace it with something to help sharpness

Gunlance shells and wyvernfire damage is boosted 1.3x, and wyvernfire cooldown is reduced to 80 seconds. It's pretty big. Though Razor Sharp is also great with them of course.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Gunlances have finally clicked for me, but I do have a question: is there any real use for charged shells outside of wide shot? Going by the chart that was on the GaijinHunter tutorial the damage bonus on normal and long shot does not seem to be worth the delay. I could be reading it wrong though.

EDIT: Actually, nevermind. I just found that you can back/side step out of charged shell. That is useful; you can't do that with regular shelling. Previously I got around that by following up with a stab, then dodge.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 8, 2015

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Can anyone recommend me a High Rank armor set for the bow. I crafted the Seregios bow but then realized I don't have a gunner set...

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Celery Face posted:

I just played with a couple of Great Sword users who spent 99% of the time running in circles and standing at mounting points instead of actually hitting the monster. After the quest, one of them tried to wear low rank armour to high rank frenzied Tigrex and got defensive when I told him to change. Everyone else was doing event quests so it's not like I had room to be picky but ugh.

The LR and HR versions of a set aren't that far apart when upgraded. And they may not have a HR set with the skills they use on it. On top of all that you shouldn't be taking damage anyways. :colbert:

Like these two sets: http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor?a=127,128,129,130,131 http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor?a=613,614,615,616,617
One maxes out at 580, the other 590. There's only a big gap at the unupgraded end.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Help Im Alive posted:

I'm trying to decide if I should try artillery on chargeblade because I just got a +13 artillery, OO charm.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Are there any good IGs at the start of G rank? I really want to get effect extender and stop spending so much time keeping buffs up.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Mo0 we need to hun

MON hun

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Man gently caress Akantor. He can just drop me whenever he feels like it and he feels like it a lot

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The non-starter pack DLC isn't limited to one per account right? Because I might be willing spend another hundred hours grinding up a second hunter of a different gender for some of these armor sets.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Somehow at LR I'm at the point where I don't know what weapon family to specialize in. I mean, first I went with Bowgunning but that lost out somehow. Then Insect Glaive, but that lost out too somehow. Now either Great Sword, Switch Axe, Dual Blades, Gunlance... gently caress. I just need help in stickin' with a path.
I guess I'm all for big swings with combos or something where it's like "I'M SWINGING THIS THING BUT DOING IT FANCIFULLY AND STUFF"

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Nope that starter pack DLC was unusual in that you could only download it once, you should be able to download the regular DLC quests with no issue on a second save file.

Never delete your characters in monhun, you will always regret it.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

SperginMcBadposter posted:

The LR and HR versions of a set aren't that far apart when upgraded. And they may not have a HR set with the skills they use on it. On top of all that you shouldn't be taking damage anyways. :colbert:
His armour set had 200 less defense points than my HR set and there were no skills on it. Wearing low rank armour to the later parts of online high rank is only excusable if you're really good at the game. But he sucked.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Like these two sets: http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor?a=127,128,129,130,131 http://kiranico.com/en/mh4u/armor?a=613,614,615,616,617
One maxes out at 580, the other 590. There's only a big gap at the unupgraded end.

That only happens when both are maxed out. When you are actually working up the ranks, the armor difference will be much more substantial, not only proportionally, but in absolute terms as well. I'm looking at like 50 DEF difference between LR and HR velociprey armor when both are upgraded as far as resources allow.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

widespread posted:

Somehow at LR I'm at the point where I don't know what weapon family to specialize in. I mean, first I went with Bowgunning but that lost out somehow. Then Insect Glaive, but that lost out too somehow. Now either Great Sword, Switch Axe, Dual Blades, Gunlance... gently caress. I just need help in stickin' with a path.
I guess I'm all for big swings with combos or something where it's like "I'M SWINGING THIS THING BUT DOING IT FANCIFULLY AND STUFF"

Slime blast dual swords for life. (Demon) dance fight!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Finally completed my first Velocidrome set. :toot:
And have decided my current goal in life is the Mosgharl armor, because demonic pumpkin armor.

Is there a strategy for dealing with more than one monster at once?

I was in an expedition, trying to take down a kecha wacha when a yian kut-ku showed up. They had accidentally blasted each other with their ranged attacks, and I had hoped they would wear themselves out on each other, but they quickly settled their differences and resumed coming after me.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Good Citizen posted:

Man gently caress Akantor. He can just drop me whenever he feels like it and he feels like it a lot

Akantor is secretly just Big Tigrex. Treat him as such - never get near his legs, watch for spins, wait for his scrambling dash to actually be over before moving in, don't stand directly in front of him ever - and you'll be fine.

Basically just attack his rear end constantly. Of course, he's going to walk forward and somehow take 30% of your health even if you do mind what you're doing, but it's Akantor. He's still better than he used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambi
Dec 30, 2011

Leave it to me
Fully upgraded LR Rathalos armor still got me smacked around like a chew toy in HR, making a set of Tetsucabra S and upgrading it with sphere+ almost doubled my defense. I upgraded the chestpieces of both sets as far as I could with Advanced Armor Spheres, and the Tetsucabra set still has like a 10-point lead in defense rating before any skills.
Plus HR and G-rank armor, from what I've seen, has more skills, better skills, and more gem slots than LR armor.

Edit: Is there any way to fight HR Basarios or Ruby Basarios without going to HR Guild Quests? I generally play offline, and love the look of Basarios armor.

Ambi fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 8, 2015

• Locked thread