Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Shadowgate posted:

I mean I guess I could waste a ton of time redoing everything and playing phone janitor, but I have better things to spend my time on. I'm mostly pissed that things were fine on KitKat and now my Nexus 5 is pretty lovely.

Also I have no facebook apps or anything weird on my phone.

Why do you make it sound like it takes a long time to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shadowgate posted:

I mean I guess I could waste a ton of time redoing everything and playing phone janitor, but I have better things to spend my time on. I'm mostly pissed that things were fine on KitKat and now my Nexus 5 is pretty lovely.

Also I have no facebook apps or anything weird on my phone.
It takes like ten minutes.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It takes me a lot longer than 10 minutes to sign in to all of my 2fa accounts.

The real solution is to just get a new phone. Seriously, just upgrade yearly. Its like the thing you use the most in your life, it should always be as good as it can be.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah IF the google restore works it doesn't take too long. Then you have to relogin to all your apps, it's not super easy. Anyways I shouldn't have to do this poo poo. I've been using Android since the Nexus One days and Lollipop was a huge step backwards.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Shadowgate posted:

Yeah IF the google restore works it doesn't take too long. Then you have to relogin to all your apps, it's not super easy. Anyways I shouldn't have to do this poo poo. I've been using Android since the Nexus One days and Lollipop was a huge step backwards.

Nobody's arguing that you should have to do it, but if you want to fix your issue, there it is.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat
Just buy a new phone every year says the android thread. I just got this god drat Nexus 5 right before Lollipop launched.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh good, I see that the "Lollipop is fine bro" brigade are out in force again, I just love reading these posts. You know when I love reading these posts the most? It's when I take my phone out of my pocket to browse the forums and my battery has done this:

So my mobile signal is poo poo, right? Well, no, since the part when my signal was weak doesn't actually show worse drain than the earlier part where it was fine. Also the radio usage is way down the list:

So what else do we have here. Maybe I just used it a bunch?

Not even 70 minutes of screen on, an absolutely pittance compared to the 3+ hours that I would get under normal circumstances.

Of course there's a bunch of wakelock showing on the "awake" graph that you can see in the first screenshot. So what was responsible for this?

What the gently caress am I supposed to do with this info? Android sort of admits "yep, that was me, gently caress you" but yet claims this only used 5% of the battery and the only way to find out more info is to root my drat phone. All of the numbers on this screen are garbage. The values all add up to 42% even though I was down 80% of my battery. Android OS wakelocked my phone a bunch but still claims to have used less than Chrome (which was used for about 20 minutes). Play Services shows a few minutes of wakelock but somehow apparently used 7%. All of this is useless information and doesn't explain where my battery went. None of it helps me actually solve the issue. And "uninstall Facebook" doesn't work because I don't have that poo poo anywhere near my phone.

Tomorrow I'll get up and use my phone and it'll work perfectly. And maybe Monday. And then on Tuesday it'll do this again. And I'll still be none the wiser.

Lollipop is horribly and fundamentally broken on some devices and the whole "works for me" thing that people love to post is just laughable.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 7, 2015

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
What are you looking to gain from posting that

"My phone's not working correctly and it sucks and I'm hella angry!!"

"sorry!?"

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tunga posted:

Oh good, I see that the "Lollipop is fine bro" brigade are out in force again, I just love reading these posts. You know when I love reading these posts the most? It's when I take my phone out of my pocket to browse the forums and my battery has done this:

So my mobile signal is poo poo, right? Well, no, since the part when my signal was weak doesn't actually show worse drain than the earlier part where it was fine. Also the radio usage is way down the list:

So what else do we have here. Maybe I just used it a bunch?

Not even 70 minutes of screen on, an absolutely pittance compared to the 3+ hours that I would get under normal circumstances.

Of course there's a bunch of wakelock showing on the "awake" graph that you can see in the first screenshot. So what was responsible for this?

What the gently caress am I supposed to do with this info? Android sort of admits "yep, that was me, gently caress you" but yet claims this only used 5% of the battery and the only way to find out more info is to root my drat phone. All of the numbers on this screen are garbage. The values all add up to 42% even though I was down 80% of my battery. Android OS wakelocked my phone a bunch but still claims to have used less than Chrome (which was used for about 20 minutes). Play Services shows a few minutes of wakelock but somehow apparently used 7%. All of this is useless information and doesn't explain where my battery went. None of it helps me actually solve the issue. And "uninstall Facebook" doesn't work because I don't have that poo poo anywhere near my phone.

Tomorrow I'll get up and use my phone and it'll work perfectly. And maybe Monday. And then on Tuesday it'll do this again. And I'll still be none the wiser.

Lollipop is horribly and fundamentally broken on some devices and the whole "works for me" thing that people love to post is just laughable.

Congrats, you've got a wakelock, something that every other version of android ever can also have

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Why is your experience legit and no one else's? My N6 says 17 hours left on the battery right now.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
And also if you are admitting that Lollipop is broken on your device (I had major issues with 5.0 when it pushed to me N5 before I upgraded to an N6) then why don't you loving roll back to Kit Kat like has been recommended? Or do you not have enough time to do that, but plenty of time to complain about it?

Lollipop has issues, everyone (except dudes that are trolling you with little to no effort) knows this, but thanks again for ignoring advice given in the thread

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hooah posted:

Until there aren't people like me, I guess. I got frustrated with the Facebook app changing my feed preference (recent, dammit!), so I uninstalled it and started using the mobile site. Basically the same problems, but it's one less app to possibly run amok. On the other hand, I haven't had any problems with Messenger, but to be fair I use it maybe once a week.

It's not you so much as it not being in the OP since Messenger is a dumpster fire.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nerve posted:

And also if you are admitting that Lollipop is broken on your device (I had major issues with 5.0 when it pushed to me N5 before I upgraded to an N6) then why don't you loving roll back to Kit Kat like has been recommended? Or do you not have enough time to do that, but plenty of time to complain about it?
I need it on Lollipop for app development purposes.

Even if that wasn't true, I actually like a lot of things about Lollipop so I just carry a battery pack rather just rolling back. Doesn't make it any less poorly coded though.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Tunga posted:

I need it on Lollipop for app development purposes.

Even if that wasn't true, I actually like a lot of things about Lollipop so I just carry a battery pack rather just rolling back. Doesn't make it any less poorly coded though.

Why don't you root it and get some accurate stats about what is tearing through your battery? If you use it for development purposes why is it an issue to root it? It's a nexus - the whole process of rooting, checking and removing root is a few minutes worth of effort, probably less than your screenshots (unless your boot loader has never been unlocked, which I'm guessing it isn't as you've said you flashed factory images previously).

Why is your dev phone your daily driver? Can't use the SDK's lollipop emulator?

I'm sure you know it's probably not strictly an issue of a "lollipop being poorly coded" but probably a wake lock from an app being a POS, but hey just keep bitching about it and don't do anything, so when 5.1 comes out and you have the same kind of problems you can continue complaining.

Enjoy I guess?

Edit:Tone.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Mar 8, 2015

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

It's not you so much as it not being in the OP since Messenger is a dumpster fire.

This is so weird since for a long time, the Messenger app was great and the main app was the broken one. I guess they just now got around to making GBS threads it up...

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I've been using messenger for almost 4 years now, no problems here.

That's good enough for the lollipop defense brigade, should be good enough here too!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Stepping away from Lollipop chat for a bit...

A new flagship isn't in the cards for me right now, so I'm looking at a "tide me over" phone. I'm leaning towards the new version of either the Moto G or E. I'm a little worried about the onboard storage (I do have an SD card lying around I can use, but meh) on them, but I guess it'd be OK for a year or so. Anything stand out about either of these options vs. the other? Other recommendations? Looking < $200.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

hooah posted:

A new flagship isn't in the cards for me right now, so I'm looking at a "tide me over" phone. I'm leaning towards the new version of either the Moto G or E. I'm a little worried about the onboard storage (I do have an SD card lying around I can use, but meh) on them, but I guess it'd be OK for a year or so. Anything stand out about either of these options vs. the other? Other recommendations? Looking < $200.

Get either the 2013 Moto G LTE or a 2013 Moto X. The only difference between the Moto G's is a bigger screen and worse battery life because of it. The 2013 Moto X may be a little more money than what your looking for but will most likely be worth it.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

hooah posted:

Moto G LTE has a microSD card slot.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Blitter posted:

Why don't you root it and get some accurate stats about what is tearing through your battery? If you use it for development purposes why is it an issue to root it? It's a nexus - the whole process of rooting, checking and removing root is a few minutes worth of effort, probably less than your screenshots (unless your boot loader has never been unlocked, which I'm guessing it isn't as you've said you flashed factory images previously).
You see the irony in me having to "break" my phone to fix my phone, right? I probably will do this tomorrow though since I also want to poke around with the new Xposed a bit (but not until I figure out the battery stuff).

Blitter posted:

Why is your dev phone your daily driver? Can't use the SDK's lollipop emulator?
The emulators have a come a long way but they are still pretty janky and bad compared to just using an actual device. It's my dev phone because it's my phone and I have better things to spend money on that another N5 (that could be just as broken anyway).

Blitter posted:

I'm sure you know it's probably not strictly an issue of a "lollipop being poorly coded" but probably a wake lock from an app being a POS
I don't think it is, to be honest. I am pretty good about what I install on my phone. Running services right now: Settings, Goggles, Moto Connect, Tasker, Google App (i.e. Search/Now/GNL), Maps, Google+, Android Wear, Google Keyboard. There's also Play Services and a weird Qualcomm thing that just shows a package name. Pretty sure none of these are doing it. Maybe Goggles I guess, but it never shows up on the battery screen at all.

We'll see what battery stats throws up next time it happens.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Shadowgate posted:

Just buy a new phone every year says the android thread. I just got this god drat Nexus 5 right before Lollipop launched.

Don't buy a phone right before the new model comes out I guess?

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

RZA Encryption posted:

Don't buy a phone right before the new model comes out I guess?

I think the real answer is don't buy android.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'll buy a new Nexus every year if they don't make it so huge!

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Shadowgate posted:

I think the real answer is don't buy android.

Then just don't buy an Android lol. This does not bother anyone.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Is there a good app that messages Facebook but isn't made by Facebook?

So we can have something to put in the title.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

RZA Encryption posted:

It takes me a lot longer than 10 minutes to sign in to all of my 2fa accounts.

The real solution is to just get a new phone. Seriously, just upgrade yearly. Its like the thing you use the most in your life, it should always be as good as it can be.

lol

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

WugLyfe posted:

Moto G LTE has a microSD card slot.

Yes, that's why I included the SD card line in my post.

Thanks for the feedback; I think I'll go with the 2013 Moto G LTE. Would that I had $600 to throw at a Moto Max...

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
I'm almost done with my current phone contract and I'm wondering whats the general opinion on the LG G3. Mostly considering it due to there being a $50 promo for it with a 2 year contract, and I'd be upgrading from a galaxy nexus that has not been keeping up well on battery life. I heard theres some over sharpening going on with it, is it really severe?

I wouldn't mind going for some of the budget phones if I could find something with more than 1GB of ram.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Drakes posted:

I'm almost done with my current phone contract and I'm wondering whats the general opinion on the LG G3. Mostly considering it due to there being a $50 promo for it with a 2 year contract, and I'd be upgrading from a galaxy nexus that has not been keeping up well on battery life. I heard theres some over sharpening going on with it, is it really severe?

The sharpening is quite noticeable, but you'll have to look at one yourself to see if it is going to bother you. For me it is okay most of the time, but for some reason it is quite noticeable and distracting when I'm tired.

As for the rest of the phone standby battery life is great but the screen just kills actualy usage times. Even not considering the sharpness filter screen looks okay but not great - viewing angles are actually fairly bad and the surface is really reflective. The LG skin is quite ugly and there are some annoying usability issues with the notification shade but nothing I can't live with. The camera seems great though, no complaints at all there.

Anyway I guess it's okay for the price but won't really keep up with the best available stuff - I only bought mine because it was hundreds of dollars cheaper than a Z3 or 2014 X. Then again I guess coming from a Gnex anything is going to be a massive upgrade.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Drakes posted:

I wouldn't mind going for some of the budget phones if I could find something with more than 1GB of ram.

To add to what disss said, I think a G2 might actually be better. Better battery, better screen except resolution (which is kind of wasted anyway), similar camera except for the autofocus.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

nerve posted:

Then just don't buy an Android lol. This does not bother anyone.

I took the iPhone challenge was happy to come back. Androids intent system is too good to give up, even though it makes other things kind of messy. (The back button, mostly)

It seemed like every iPhone app had it's own web browser and that sucks. Its a shame, though. Apple does a lot right and the hardware feels great.

Why would you settle for anything less than the best for something that gets so much use?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Is there a good app that messages Facebook but isn't made by Facebook?

So we can have something to put in the title.

chatsecure is decent I suppose. It's an xmpp client so don't expect it to anything complicated with Facebook, but it'll send and receive messages. It doesn't use push though so it'll add some drain to your battery.

All xmpp apps look like poo poo though, this is one of the better ones in that regard.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

Drakes posted:

For me, depending on the font and background's color it could go from barely noticeable to unbearable. You can disable it but that means rooting and messing with kernels; nothing complicated, but if you're willing to do that then just slap CM12 in there so you not only get rid of the sharpening but also LG's abomination of an UI. It's a win-win.

Other that, pretty much what dissss said.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

RZA Encryption posted:

Why would you settle for anything less than the best for something that gets so much use?

diminishing returns and controlled spending habits

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

God drat I feel bad for anyone still using a Galaxy Nexus.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Best decision I ever made was the 7500mah battery for my S4/running lollipop. 2-3 days battery, even with heavy use. loving brilliant.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Internet Explorer posted:

I'd rather have a dumbphone than a gnex. At least one of them gets good battery life.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Drakes posted:

It's a good phone with some flaws, which you could say about any Android device. It's also a massive upgrade from a Galaxy Nexus, which again you could say about any Android device. The best thing to do is go play with it at the store and see if you like it. I can't think of anything else that can compete for $50 other than the inevitable price drops on the Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8, which have their own flaws like every other Android.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I got my LG G3 late December, since then its been pretty good. It works when I need it to, but there have been a few annoyances. First being cracks forming in the top and bottom bezels around the mic and IR blaster. It'll also occasionally stop loading data. It will show a network connection and that its sending data but will not download anything until restarted. Similar problem with the quiet mode not turning off as soon as I switch it off, sometimes it'll take a couple minutes to actually disable quiet mode even though the setting toggle shows it off.

Only other thing is that it runs hot. Really hot. Like I have to let it sit for a few minutes sometimes because its too hot.

I've been wondering if the One M8 might have been a better choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Internet Explorer posted:

I have three people in my family who are still using Gnexes on Ting. I've tried over and over to point out that phones like the Moto G are cheap as hell but they like Ting and don't want to switch.