Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Saint Freak posted:

Have you guys tried murdering anyone with a door in real life? You have to swing it open really goddamn hard.

Just a matter of finding the right door.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x824bI1S-fE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

That trailer makes it look mega badass, so am I being misled or

Only God Forgives is a beautifully shot movie with an excellent soundtrack that is so boring I nearly fell asleep watching it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Taxi Driver is pretty good even though it's a 70's movie. It's very grimy and nihilistic and the climax is pretty Hotline. The ending is an odd 180 to say the least

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheJoker138 posted:

Only God Forgives is a beautifully shot movie with an excellent soundtrack that is so boring I nearly fell asleep watching it.

It's slow, sure, but also only 90 minutes long and still has various scenes with plenty of tension and action in it.

And giving HM2 a Taxi Driver ending would be pretty cool.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Alan Smithee posted:

Taxi Driver is pretty good even though it's a 70's movie. It's very grimy and nihilistic and the climax is pretty Hotline. The ending is an odd 180 to say the least

I would definitely second this. Most of the movie is about someone driving themselves to the point of committing something like what Jacket does. He hits rock bottom rather than going nuts. I always heard the last five minutes were some studio mandated reshoot and the original ending was the slow top down pan from the room to the police and emts outside.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
When it comes to cinema difficulty Only God Forgives is basically Drive on expert mode. It was infamously booed at Cannes and despite the focus on violence it only has one real fight scene.

I enjoyed it but it's really a love it a hate it thing. If you're not going to watch it and you don't give a poo poo about spoilers you should at least watch said fight scene because it's :krad: even out of context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGrsOI_C5hY

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Refn is one of my favorite directors, but Only God Forgives was having a real hard time winning me over.

Until that fight.

Then it was like the whole film clicked into place for me (as much as a bleak neo-noir mindfuck like OGF can click)

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

Drive is just a good movie in general, because the main character is a creepy motherfucker and then it turns out he's insanely good at murder.

Yes. Its awesome because he was a psychopath on the verge the entire time before he actually starts to kill. Also the mask scene.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
not so much thematically but if you want pure fight scenes The Raid and to some extent The Raid 2 has a lot of relentless fighting in hallways

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Sleeveless posted:

When it comes to cinema difficulty Only God Forgives is basically Drive on expert mode. It was infamously booed at Cannes and despite the focus on violence it only has one real fight scene.

I enjoyed it but it's really a love it a hate it thing. If you're not going to watch it and you don't give a poo poo about spoilers you should at least watch said fight scene because it's :krad: even out of context.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGrsOI_C5hY

I think Refn's a great director but based on having seen Drive, Valhalla Rising, and this, Drive is definitely the most straightforward and approachable of his movies. Anybody who watches the others expecting as conventional an arc or resolution as Drive is going to be disappointed; the credits for Only God Forgives thank Jodorowsky and it helped me come to grips with the film as one of those people who went in expecting Drive 2: Thai Harder or something.

Watch his poo poo because he makes good movies, not because of Hotline Miami, imo.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
I liked The Guest so much I tried to get Dan Steven's haircut.

It turns out he's a movie star and I'm an ugly norm, but the movie is still good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Alan Smithee posted:

not so much thematically but if you want pure fight scenes The Raid and to some extent The Raid 2 has a lot of relentless fighting in hallways

Not sure about the second one but The Raid is Badass Hallway Fights: The Movie.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hallway fights are all the rage in Southeast Asia right now.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I think Refn's a great director but based on having seen Drive, Valhalla Rising, and this, Drive is definitely the most straightforward and approachable of his movies. Anybody who watches the others expecting as conventional an arc or resolution as Drive is going to be disappointed; the credits for Only God Forgives thank Jodorowsky and it helped me come to grips with the film as one of those people who went in expecting Drive 2: Thai Harder or something.

Watch his poo poo because he makes good movies, not because of Hotline Miami, imo.

The Pusher trilogy is pretty straightforward too. Also really great.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

Hallway fights are all the rage in Southeast Asia right now.

Old Boy by Park Chan-wook contains the original hallway fight. It's also has a bit of the Hotline wibe, but not much.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Old Boy by Park Chan-wook contains the original hallway fight. It's also has a bit of the Hotline wibe, but not much.

old boy is in no way shape or form a neo 80s neon fighting for no reason movie

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Black Baby Goku posted:

old boy is in no way shape or form a neo 80s neon fighting for no reason movie

No, but that Hallway Fight :allears:

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wamdoodle posted:

No, but that Hallway Fight :allears:

yeah, except the cartoony poo poo lol

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Not sure about the second one but The Raid is Badass Hallway Fights: The Movie.

Yes, yes it is.

Except x100 because that craziness happens to every single guy he fights in the entire complex. Including the 50 bodies behind him.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Mar 7, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

John Dough posted:

And giving HM2 a Taxi Driver ending would be pretty cool.

The first game arguably already did.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 30 days!

Alan Smithee posted:

There's even some Hotline style characters, with Hammer Girl and Baseball Bat Boy :haw:

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
The Raid 2 actually reminds me a bit of Hotline Miami in regards to the Crazy assassin martial arts gang

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pharmaskittle posted:

That trailer makes it look mega badass, so am I being misled or

Sorta. I think it was a really great film but it was very poorly reviewed.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

My vinyl just arrived and , gosh, it's a beautiful package. Sadly looks like the soundtrack itself won't unlock digitally until the game does; I was hoping to get that digitally right away.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

InsidiousMuppet posted:

My vinyl just arrived and , gosh, it's a beautiful package. Sadly looks like the soundtrack itself won't unlock digitally until the game does; I was hoping to get that digitally right away.

In the same boat. Because the other guy earlier had a bad camera, I took some shots of the whole thing. Here you guys go:

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

TheJoker138 posted:

In the same boat. Because the other guy earlier had a bad camera, I took some shots of the whole thing. Here you guys go:

I have to say thats loving sweet

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

So loving cool.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
not so much "fighting in hallways" because you can't fight THE PLAGUE, but this is still my favourite "people getting owned in a hallway" scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otFW-xb9J1U

that movie is 80s as gently caress and owns really hard. great music aswell.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall
I love this room so much

:black101:
not pictured: black guy punching me to death

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ledgy posted:

I love this room so much

:black101:
not pictured: black guy punching me to death

I like how the two guys in the bathroom completely ignore the gunfire. :v:

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Anatharon posted:

I like how the two guys in the bathroom completely ignore the gunfire. :v:

Some things just take priority.

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

TheJoker138 posted:

Holy gently caress that's cool

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

If you're just looking for "ordinary guy snaps and starts wrecking people" Falling Down is pretty great. Michael Douglas with a gun generally leads to good movies.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I suggest Steam greenlight hit "hatred" as a similar ga'me.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm unironically excited for Postal 3, wish Games would stop making it a meme before it even comes out.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Anatharon posted:

I suggest Steam greenlight hit "hatred" as a similar ga'me.

At least the enemies in Hotline Miami shoot back most of the time

edit: Well, not if you're fast enough, I guess.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm unironically excited for Postal 3, wish Games would stop making it a meme before it even comes out.
There's already a Postal 3 though.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accordion Man posted:

There's already a Postal 3 though.

Can we pretend that one never happened

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Watching The Guest ATM thanks to this thread and man it is great, I've just gotten to the part where everything goes nuts and I am loving it!

edit: drat that was a good movie. If you went into it expecting the type of movie that the first third or so is, you would come out of it acting like you'd just played Spec-Ops: The Line blind.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CJacobs posted:

At least the enemies in Hotline Miami shoot back most of the time

edit: Well, not if you're fast enough, I guess.

Hatred is basically the boring evil opposite of Hotline Miami.

• Locked thread