Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Drive Home is one of the best songs I've ever heard, and Watchmaker is pretty good too. That being said, I seem to be in the minority as I prefer HCE over TRTRTS. Ancestral, 3 Years Older, and Perfect Life are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Got tickets for the Mesa show (really glad I held out for a closer location instead of jumping on the Anaheim tickets when they were released). SW will be playing the Piper Repertory Theater at the Mesa Arts Center, which seats just over 500 so it should be a really intimate show. I can't wait.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Just realized that some time back, I was confused as to how Bill Rieflin got tapped for the Crimson job (though the dude is great) and then I realized the evidence for his being able to thrive in a multi-drummer setting was sitting on my VHS shelf the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yaz5V6OFQlo&t=94s

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Bad news, if your favorite work of Steven Wilson's was his last few Porcupine Tree albums:

Steven Wilson posted:

There is a little bit of metal riffing on "Home Invasion" as well. Metal has come back in a bit. You know what? Metal is a part of my musical vocabulary now. But I don't think it would ever come back to the forefront like it was on the last three or four Porcupine Tree albums. It became very central to the sound of PT.

from: http://www.undertheradarmag.com/interviews/steven_wilson/

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Huge upcoming release of 7 previously-lost Yes shows from '72: http://yesworld.com/2015/03/yes-progeny-live-from-seventy-two/

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Helicity posted:

Bad news, if your favorite work of Steven Wilson's was his last few Porcupine Tree albums:

from: http://www.undertheradarmag.com/interviews/steven_wilson/
For better or worse, Wilson's never been one to sit still on a musical style. This should surprise nobody.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Iucounu posted:

Huge upcoming release of 7 previously-lost Yes shows from '72: http://yesworld.com/2015/03/yes-progeny-live-from-seventy-two/

gently caress yes I am all over this, Yessongs is my absolute favorite Yes release and this looks like just a crazy extended version of that, and I am very excited to hear the keyboard solo from the Toronto show when local radio was leaking through the mellotron's electronics :catdrugs:

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Misogynist posted:

For better or worse, Wilson's never been one to sit still on a musical style. This should surprise nobody.

And yet if you look at this Facebook comments, or Youtube comments, everyone is surprised. gently caress the haters - I celebrate his entire collection (except Blackfield)

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Helicity posted:

And yet if you look at this Facebook comments, or Youtube comments, everyone is surprised. gently caress the haters - I celebrate his entire collection (except Blackfield)
Most of the stuff he wrote for Blackfield was pretty great! I don't have much appreciation for Aviv Geffen's material past the first album, though.

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

Earwicker posted:

gently caress yes I am all over this, Yessongs is my absolute favorite Yes release and this looks like just a crazy extended version of that, and I am very excited to hear the keyboard solo from the Toronto show when local radio was leaking through the mellotron's electronics :catdrugs:

This could definitely be really cool, but White could never quite hack Close to the Edge on drums, so that'll be particularly, uh... interesting?

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Iucounu posted:

As cool as this is, I was kind of hoping it would include Bruford shows from 72. I really wish that lineup just lasted one more tour. Yeah Bruford needed to join King Crimson, but man I wish he stayed for the CTTE tour.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm slightly disappointed that Starship Trooper wasn't on the setlists, but if And You and I is comparable to Yessongs, I'm all over this.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

I thought the first Blackfield album was pretty good.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
His best side projects are Bass Communion and IEM

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Iucounu posted:

I thought the first Blackfield album was pretty good.

it is. the rest are garbage, though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Daryl loving Hall posted:

This could definitely be really cool, but White could never quite hack Close to the Edge on drums, so that'll be particularly, uh... interesting?

The version of Close to the Edge on Yessongs is played by White and it sounds great, I prefer that version to the album version (though mostly because of the keyboard solo).

White played everything on Yessongs except for Perpetual Change and Long Distance Runaround

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 8, 2015

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Earwicker posted:

The version of Close to the Edge on Yessongs is played by White and it sounds great, I prefer that version to the album version (though mostly because of the keyboard solo).

White played everything on Yessongs except for Perpetual Change and Long Distance Runaround

Yeah, the Yessongs version of CTTE is fantastic and I agree that it is better than the studio version. White and Squire play drum and bass under the pipe organ solo which some people love and some people hate, but I love it. I also think the finale is way more powerful in the Yessongs version, and I also love the more frantic intro. Still, Buford's drumming on the studio version is a monster and it would have been cool to hear what he could have done with the song live (and not 20 years later with an electronic kit, as cool as that performance was). I also think the best version CTTE I've ever heard was on the king biscuit 1974 recording during the Relayer tour. Definitely the most frantic opening I've heard them do, and the finale was epic as ever. They really tore poo poo up during that tour. When I first heard The Mars Volta live, Yes circa 1974-75 came to mind.

http://youtu.be/oiJg6gTpIIs

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 9, 2015

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I dunno man I really am not fond of Moraz at all, but I will give it a listen

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Moraz is a scrub

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Moraz has a different style than Wakeman, but I dig it. I admit it's not as well suited to the songs that Wakeman contributed to, but definitely works great on the more fusion inspired songs like sound chaser (just listen to his keyboard solo at the end of sound chaser on the recording I linked above). That being said, the version of CTTE on that KBFH recording kills, and while I prefer Wakeman's keyboards on this song over Moraz's, the overall performance more than makes up for it, and Moraz still does a great job with it.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

I saw Focus twice this week while they were supporting Hawkwind. Dude can still yodel, their current guitarist is a toddler compared to the rest of them but he is amazing.

Short and identical sets both times but every piece extended including Eruption and Hocus Pocus.

Hawkwind's sets are getting smaller, they're in the habit of extending individual songs for some reason. Even the riff in Motorway City went on for a while. There's weird instrumental breaks with a pretty dancer every 3-4 songs to give Dave Brock (he's nearly 74 dammit) a chance to sit down. Still worth seeing obviously. Mr Dibs is quite comfortably in the driving seat now and I think he's the first person in a long time to really do Robert Calvert justice.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Gianthogweed posted:

Moraz has a different style than Wakeman, but I dig it. I admit it's not as well suited to the songs that Wakeman contributed to, but definitely works great on the more fusion inspired songs like sound chaser (just listen to his keyboard solo at the end of sound chaser on the recording I linked above).

Honestly the keyboard parts are my least favorite part of Relayer, they almost ruin it for me.

To be honest the way I see it in the mid 70's and then especially the 80's I feel like both prog rock and jazz fusion started to really lose the plot with the ridiculous super clean and shiny cheesy synth solos, culminating in absurdities like Chick Corea's Elektric Band. Genesis was able to maintain some dignity by turning into a decent pop group and Yes sort of did some ok work in the same direction, arguably, but really in terms of actual progressive rock only King Crimson managed to stay cool and write good tunes during that period. Maybe because they didn't have any keyboards in the band in the 80's, and in the 70's kept it limited to mellotron and occasional piano. I am probably oversensitive to this poo poo because I am a keyboardist myself but there is something in the styles that started emerging in these genres from 1975 on that just sounds too much like "keyboard demo music".

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Earwicker posted:

Honestly the keyboard parts are my least favorite part of Relayer, they almost ruin it for me.

To be honest the way I see it in the mid 70's and then especially the 80's I feel like both prog rock and jazz fusion started to really lose the plot with the ridiculous super clean and shiny cheesy synth solos, culminating in absurdities like Chick Corea's Elektric Band. Genesis was able to maintain some dignity by turning into a decent pop group and Yes sort of did some ok work in the same direction, arguably, but really in terms of actual progressive rock only King Crimson managed to stay cool and write good tunes during that period. Maybe because they didn't have any keyboards in the band in the 80's, and in the 70's kept it limited to mellotron and occasional piano. I am probably oversensitive to this poo poo because I am a keyboardist myself but there is something in the styles that started emerging in these genres from 1975 on that just sounds too much like "keyboard demo music".

I think I know what you mean, but I really didn't start to see that trend emerge until the late 70s. Mid-seventies was still pretty cool keyboardwise. I like the jazz fusion keyboard styles that were used in bands like Brand X and on Relayer. It did start to get cheesy towards the end of the 70s, though. Even Wakeman, Banks and Emerson started switching to these super thin sounding cheesy synths that sounded like casio keyboards.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah it definitely was much bigger in the late 70's, but the solos (and many of the keyboard parts in general ) on Relayer sounds to me the beginnings of that style, which is why they bug me. Otherwise it's an amazing album.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Love this interview with Bill Bruford from 1984. He mentions his side gigging with Moraz throughout the 80s and that King Crimson was his day job, Moody Blues was Moraz's day job, but on the side, to have fun they have their instrumental thing. It really shows how divisive the whole prog/pop split of the 80s
was. You can definitely tell that Bruford was fed up with rock at this point and was just doing it to pay the bills. Still, he was probably in the best prog band you could be in in the 80s.

http://youtu.be/CuTMvpl1D_Q

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 10, 2015

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Relayer is probably my favourite Yes album, and Moraz's keyboards at least "fit", for want of a better word, but I've seen live footage of Gates of Delirium from the same period and I get where Earwicker's coming from.

Mind you, the cheapest Yes keyboard parts I've heard are in the version of The Big Medley on The Word Is Live, specifically towards the end of Perpetual Change transitioning into Gates of Delirium. Given that it was recorded in 1978, I guess this is due to Wakeman's vaguely baffling keyboard sound decisions made circa Tormato.

On the subject, does anyone know if there are any substantial Yes live recordings of Wakeman performing Relayer material?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
RIP Daevid Allen of Gong. :(

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

pinacotheca posted:

Relayer is probably my favourite Yes album, and Moraz's keyboards at least "fit", for want of a better word, but I've seen live footage of Gates of Delirium from the same period and I get where Earwicker's coming from.

Mind you, the cheapest Yes keyboard parts I've heard are in the version of The Big Medley on The Word Is Live, specifically towards the end of Perpetual Change transitioning into Gates of Delirium. Given that it was recorded in 1978, I guess this is due to Wakeman's vaguely baffling keyboard sound decisions made circa Tormato.

On the subject, does anyone know if there are any substantial Yes live recordings of Wakeman performing Relayer material?

No, other than Soon, I don't think Wakeman ever played anything from Relayer.

The late 70s was a pretty terrible time for keyboard sounds for pretty much all prog bands. Listen to Azure d'or by Renaissance, the keyboards almost ruin it for me, even though some of the songs are great. I think what it was is that newer more portable keyboards were becoming available, but they just couldn't match the sound of the old organs and meatier moog synths of the early 70s. This trend lasted pretty well into the 80s. Compare Tony Banks 1986 performance of Apocalypse in 9/8 to his 1973 performance and you'll hear a big difference. The 1973 version is way more menacing. Even on ABWH I found a lot of Wakeman's keyboard sounds to be pretty dreadful. I don't think it was until the late 90s that keyboards started to really sound good again. I wonder why so many keyboardists put up with such cheesy sounds for so long.

vv Edit: Yeah some of them were good, but for every good new synth sound that came out, there were 10 or so awful ones vv

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 13, 2015

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I don't want to throw the baby out with the bathwater; some of those 80s FM sounds are charming in other musical contexts, and the ubiquitousness of those sounds in popular music probably trickled down to prog. Good enough for Axel F, good enough for me, as the saying goes.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

And Then They Were Three is an album filled solely with terrible keyboard sounds. Although, that album had a myriad of other problems too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah there were plenty of people making good synth sounds and using synths well in the late 70's and 80's. Just not in prog rock.

And Then They Were Three is basically Tony Banks going "FINALLY! I can make the garbage I've been dreaming about all these years" but once they got through that period of ridiculousness and figured out how to write good pop tunes they became a decent band again. Just not a prog band.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 13, 2015

Daryl Fucking Hall
Feb 27, 2007

Daryl ohhhhhhhh Daryl

Gianthogweed posted:

Love this interview with Bill Bruford from 1984. He mentions his side gigging with Moraz throughout the 80s and that King Crimson was his day job, Moody Blues was Moraz's day job, but on the side, to have fun they have their instrumental thing. It really shows how divisive the whole prog/pop split of the 80s
was. You can definitely tell that Bruford was fed up with rock at this point and was just doing it to pay the bills. Still, he was probably in the best prog band you could be in in the 80s.

http://youtu.be/CuTMvpl1D_Q

Insofar as their happiness with whatever they're doing at the moment, Fripp and Bruford deserve each other. That interview was about 5 months after they disbanded (and played an incredible set in Montreal) and now Bruford says he won't get back together because of the the fondness / respect for the material (which, fine - I'd hate to hear Discipline with Belew's new guitar tone).
As far as I can tell, they're really only happy when they're the bandleaders and in full control. I like Fripp's solo stuff (mostly), but I really do not like Bruford's weird fusion music.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah Earthworks is like cringeworthy awful music

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The Sound of Surprise is up there on my list of worst album titles, at least of records I spent money on. Like Willennium is a pretty bad album title, but I don't own a copy of it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

RIP Daevid Allen of Gong. :(

:(

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Bruford's One of a Kind and Feels Good to Me were among the first fusion albums I ever heard - what a great band, Bill Bruford, Jeff Berlin, and Allan Holdsworth. The vocals by Annette Peacock were really cool, too.

I dunno about 80s prog, but I've really never been able to get into 90s prog, even the Dream Theater stuff. I'm not sure what it is, maybe part of it is the keyboard sounds, but it all just sounds kind of stale.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah the only "90's prog" I have really enjoyed was a Swedish band called Anekdoten

however even though I am not a huge fan of Thrak as an album, I saw King Crimson live around then (96 or 97 I think?) and it was an amazing show

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Daryl loving Hall posted:

Insofar as their happiness with whatever they're doing at the moment, Fripp and Bruford deserve each other. That interview was about 5 months after they disbanded (and played an incredible set in Montreal) and now Bruford says he won't get back together because of the the fondness / respect for the material (which, fine - I'd hate to hear Discipline with Belew's new guitar tone).

Eh, in a musical context it's probably okay. Everything he plays is super saturated now but then again he's playing in a trio most of the time so that might change if he was in KC again (I'm sure Fripp would pitch a fit over it if it didn't fit).

Seventh Arrow posted:

Bruford's One of a Kind and Feels Good to Me were among the first fusion albums I ever heard - what a great band, Bill Bruford, Jeff Berlin, and Allan Holdsworth. The vocals by Annette Peacock were really cool, too.

I dunno about 80s prog, but I've really never been able to get into 90s prog, even the Dream Theater stuff. I'm not sure what it is, maybe part of it is the keyboard sounds, but it all just sounds kind of stale.

There's not a lot of 90s prog worth listening to unless you're super into prog metal or Swedish stuff (or, uh, Spock's Beard)

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

The best prog of the 90s is stuff that arguably isn't prog. Stuff like radiohead's OK Computer, a lot of the Post Rock stuff the came out, especially from Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Phish's early albums, and a lot of the prog metal stuff like Opeth and Tool. I never really got into Dream Theater, Savatoge or Pain of Salvation but a lot of people liked those bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Porcupine Tree did some good stuff in the 90s.