Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

triple sulk posted:

i will eat a ban if cremnob is probated for a month

:toxx: ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hard to believe i had to suffer through this thread for my duties to this forum. unreal. anyways. i like the watch repair channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/jewldood

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Wild EEPROM posted:

the best grand seiko is the hi beat.

it owns so hard

its good and looks a lot like the Seiko 5 I have

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Smythe posted:

hard to believe i had to suffer through this thread for my duties to this forum. unreal. anyways. i like the watch repair channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/jewldood

dont worry the yospos tradition where i post the years best op in a thread just for the keynote is coming

mornday

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

poty posted:

dont worry the yospos tradition where i post the years best op in a thread just for the keynote is coming

mornday

actually this is the official thread and im going to gas your immediatly.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

youre playing with fire cowboy. lowtax is a big fan of my threads

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it's worth the ten dollars to not see cremnob post. he is somehow a worse poster than i am.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

triple sulk posted:

it's worth the ten dollars to not see cremnob post. he is somehow a worse poster than i am.

Your posting is fine

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

http://leancrew.com/all-this/2015/03/apple-gold/

lol @ anyone that thought the thing was pure gold

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

triple sulk posted:

who'd have thought alchemy worked

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

poty posted:

agreed

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

it is potys by right

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

triple sulk posted:

apple is literally unstoppable

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

triple sulk posted:

they said 18k gold which is not pure gold by definition.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I'm bored, lets do some math.

The molar mass of gold is 197g, and boron carbide is 55.255g

18k gold like what is used in the apple watch is 75% gold by mass.

So for a 100g object, that would be 75g gold, 25g boron carbide. This is equivalent to 0.3807 mole of gold and 0.4524 mole of boron carbide. This is a ratio of 1 molecule gold to 1.188 molecules of boron carbide in apple gold.

Taken from that article, the density of pure gold is 19.3g/cc and the density of apple gold is 7.24 g/cc.

Now that we have all the numbers to calculate how many molecules are in a given volume of each material, lets start with pure gold.

(19.3 g/cc) / (197 g/mol) = 0.09797 mol/cc of pure gold

Now for apple gold, add the number of molecules per volume from both the gold and boron carbide parts. The overall density is 7.24 g/cc. The gold contributes 5.43 g/cc and the boron carbide contributes 1.81 g/cc.

(5.43 g/cc) / (197 g/mol) + (1.81 g/cc) / (55.255 g/mol) = 0.02756 mol/cc of gold + 0.03276 mol/cc of boron carbide = 0.06032 mol/cc for apple gold.

The molecules are farther apart.

jony why

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

what are u comparing apple gold to

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

lol

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was doing pure gold, but lets check out the 18k alloy mentioned in that article as well for good measure.

75 % gold
15% silver
10% copper
measured by mass

This has a density of 15.6 g/cc as mentioned in the article, the contributing components are:

Gold at 11.7 g/cc
Silver at 2.34 g/cc
Copper at 1.56 g/cc

Dividing my molar mass, we get
Gold at 0.05939 mol/cc
Silver at 0.02169 mol/cc
Copper at 0.02456 mol/cc

For a grand total of: 0.10564 mol/cc

In conclusion, jony ive is a liar.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

instead of doing the gold alloy in the article, which is probably pulled out of his rear end, maybe u should compare it to the gold alloys used by other watchmakers??

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hrm yes, after looking at the internet it seems that 75% gold, 16% silver, 9% copper might be a more popular yellow gold alloy. That isn't different enough from what I did for me to math again, be assured the molecules in that are also closer together than apple gold.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
i heard that apple gold is so amazing that even the world's best scientists can't even call it gold, it's better than that. it's molecular makeup is so different, it's unlike any gold they've ever seen.

it's Apple Gold.

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Rahu posted:

Hrm yes, after looking at the internet it seems that 75% gold, 16% silver, 9% copper might be a more popular yellow gold alloy. That isn't different enough from what I did for me to math again, be assured the molecules in that are also closer together than apple gold.

i think jony is right

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

let's argue about the density of the metal in the literal dumbest product ever sold anywhere by anyone ever forever

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

maniacdevnull posted:

let's argue about the density of the metal in the literal dumbest product ever sold anywhere by anyone ever forever

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
:agreed:

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

you know i was strongly leaning towards getting the sport watch but now i might not just to spite cremnob

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

no you weren't and the apple watch is going to be a sucess despite what u do or don't do so i dont give a gently caress idiot bitch

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

maniacdevnull posted:

okay, what is the density of the metal in google glass?

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If the apple watch is so good why must jony make up poo poo about its molecules? :allears:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Rahu posted:

If the apple watch is so good why must jony make up poo poo about its molecules? :allears:

gotta intimidate switzerland

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

The Management posted:

okay, what is the density of the metal in google glass?

thats not a product it is a Google X Moonshot Device that is provided to an exclusive class of Explorers only

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

graph u should give em a try

they r really good actually

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

looking forward to the groundbreaking product getting announced after the watch presentation

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

sund posted:

looking forward to the groundbreaking product

it's the watch

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It is nice to be free. This includes clothing.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

maniacdevnull posted:

listen buddy, you might be lost

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

this thread is bad burn it

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

agreed. gas

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
No, I want to know what Woz says about engineers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

triple sulk posted:

agreed. gas

• Locked thread