Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Speaking of random things: Was that the most naked episode ever? 5 people went bottomless. :eek:

Many of the "superfans" seem more concerned with being memorable than with winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Exit interview with Vince:

http://www.cbs.com/shows/survivor/news/1003902/

He explains his use of feathers amongst other things.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

Mike is taking the "we're blue collar we like to work hard all the time" too literally and to his own detriment.

Yeah, some people just get totally wrapped up in thinking that they are a part of whatever group they are assigned to. I am sure that the Survivor casting directors kinda know what people are going to be like that and they just stoke the flame. There is always that one or two people that just go overboard and it usually leads to hilarious consequences.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

CODChimera posted:

This might've been covered but what actually is a Coconut Vendor?

It's what the producers call a person when they decide to put him on a No-collar tribe in a gimmick season. The same way that Will is being identified as a Youtube sensation even though he has an actual real job. 85% of the players this season are literally people they hired from the Cali area, so they needed to give them silly gimmick titles to make them all seem varied and different.

EDIT: The real answer for most of them is "Profession: Model".

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

CODChimera posted:

That is the most random thing.

Well it's not like they grow on trees or anything.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I'll be pretty glad when everybody gets re-sorted into two tribes. The "collar" gimmick is definitely wearing off quickly.

Vince was frightening. However, it would've been fun to see the chaos that ensued if he had stuck around. He did actually seem to have some decent strategic thinking, but his staggering jealousy and overall insecurity definitely did him in.

I'm finding myself siding more with Jenn in the whole Nina debacle. Both sides could've handled it better, but Nina should be better than that high school outburst. So what, the two BFF girls half your age or whatever in a different alliance no less don't include you in their spunky, spur-of-the-moment skinny dip. Shocker.

Good season so far!

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Fenris13 posted:

I am surprised to see so much hate for Captain Vayne, he was creepy and a bit aggressive, but he was also actually trying to play the game and he was right about Joe. There was no way the two of them could have co-existed for long, but by getting rid of one of the girls he could have taken control of the tribe, but still left both guys around to entertain us.

I didn't really see him as trying to play the game. On a basic, superficial level, sure. But he was so paranoid and offended by everything anyone else did that didn't involve worshiping - or hugging - him. His longass answer about the feathers from the exit interview really sums it up, I think:

quote:

As much as “Survivor” fans would like me to say the feathers are because of Coach (Benjamin Wade), I didn’t even know Coach wore feathers in his hair. It really has to do with when I hold ceremonies in sweat lodges and various powwow events — you use feathers to breathe life into fire, and sometimes some of those feathers happen to find themselves in my hair during dance performances. It’s about the cross-flow between the holding space for spiritual experience and the performance art aspect. When I found out I’d be on “Survivor,” I researched what the native tribes in that area wore; if they incorporated bird spirits, I found feathers relating to the local tribes, and wore them as a way of honoring them. They’re also just pretty.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

SteveVizsla posted:

I didn't really see him as trying to play the game. On a basic, superficial level, sure. But he was so paranoid and offended by everything anyone else did that didn't involve worshiping - or hugging - him. His longass answer about the feathers from the exit interview really sums it up, I think:

I dunno if that really sums up what made him such a failure on the show, though. The last thing you put in bold is fine. Its cool to see contestants actually doing some research on the people who occupied the land they're playing on. However, the crippling paranoia/jealousy/narcissism/egomania...not so fine.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
He was definitely trying to play the game (his RHAP exit interview mentioned him coming up with a story that Nina had an idol to get the Jenn/Hali/Joe group to split their vote), he was just too paranoid and obsessive to stick.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Anonymous Zebra posted:

It's what the producers call a person when they decide to put him on a No-collar tribe in a gimmick season. The same way that Will is being identified as a Youtube sensation even though he has an actual real job. 85% of the players this season are literally people they hired from the Cali area, so they needed to give them silly gimmick titles to make them all seem varied and different.

EDIT: The real answer for most of them is "Profession: Model".
Look up Coconut Caravan on Facebook for pictures of Vince's "circus-themed, gypsy-influenced" coconut stand.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

RHAP people all seemed to think Will made a good move because he still has a Nina buffer between himself and the others. It's a pretty close call for me. He's 4th in a 4 now and could've been 3rd in a 3, but, actually, being 4th in a 4 might be better come shuffle time. You're more likely to land next to one of your allies, and if you are trying to cobble together a new majority in a new alliance, Jenn and Joe and Hali probably will be better ambassadors than Vince and Nina. Also, if you fail to get a majority in the newly shuffled tribe, those people are also probably bigger targets than Will.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

Look up Coconut Caravan on Facebook for pictures of Vince's "circus-themed, gypsy-influenced" coconut stand.

Interesting. Are they very popular in the US? Never seen any here(NZ).

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

SteveVizsla posted:

After reading some of his exit interview stuff, my opinion on him has flipped, he was getting a golden edit compared to how terrible it sounds like he really was out there. But my main point still stands, with him gone this week that tribe is going to be really loving boring going forward, and the blue collar tribe already bores the poo poo out of me. A bad week for the white collars, and this seasons will be well on its way to most boring season in a long time, baring some odd tribal swap magic.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Vince was five days away from smelling Jenn's panties out there. Like, strategy or not - that was unnerving and creepy to watch.

Agreed that Will was backed into a corner and chose the least bad option - three tribes opens up way more opportunities for shuffle fuckery.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fenris13 posted:

After reading some of his exit interview stuff, my opinion on him has flipped, he was getting a golden edit compared to how terrible it sounds like he really was out there. But my main point still stands, with him gone this week that tribe is going to be really loving boring going forward, and the blue collar tribe already bores the poo poo out of me. A bad week for the white collars, and this seasons will be well on its way to most boring season in a long time, baring some odd tribal swap magic.

I don't understand your Debbie Downer predictions.
In only 2 1/2 hours of broadcast we've already had:
-2 tribals and 2 blindsides with strong team challenge contributors getting their fire extinguished.
- HII found without a clue
-5 people stripping
-shifting alliances and strategies on each tribe
- a challenge in which everyone had to go through the course

Blue collar haven't lost yet so they haven't had to go to TC and make tough decisions against one of their own. They've gained fire and fishing gear. But based on the preview it looks like there will be some conflict next episode.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Fenris13 posted:

Look how dumb you are. This cast is one of the better ones they've had.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Piell posted:

Look how dumb you are. This cast is one of the better ones they've had.

While I don't agree with his opinion I wouldn't go as far as to call him dumb. There are actually people who like Redemption Island and Nicaragua.....

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CODChimera posted:

Interesting. Are they very popular in the US? Never seen any here(NZ).

Coconut stands? I've only ever seen them in Brazil. Could be a West/Worst coast thing though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Binary Logic posted:

If Dan was likeable his tribemates would like him, not laugh at him for being a goof. And how does someone who's supposedly a superfan not know that you don't take a dump in the ocean, you poo poo in the woods.
Rodney has not got much screen time but seems more likeable and fun.

I'm liking Sierra Blue; she has barely even started to play and contributed well during the basketball challenge .

Mike is taking the "we're blue collar we like to work hard all the time" too literally and to his own detriment.

They all seem too petty, shallow and angry to like someone like Dan.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rick posted:

Dan seems too arrogant, patronising and uncaring for someone to like him

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rick posted:

Are we even watching the same show?!

quote:

First Impressions
Back at collar blue, Dan calls Lindsey's plan to build a shelter stupid and dumb. He continues to be abrasive while Sierra and Lindsey stand and stare off into the distance. Kelly tries to get Dan to calm down which only makes him even more grating. He walks off to the beach. Rodney heads over to the girls and tells them Dan has to go. At the beach Mike comforts Dan, no juggling takes place.
It was Dan who started out being petty shallow and angry. And abrasive.

Dan is a clown with his 'manties' and other silliness . They're trying to win challenges while this goof couldn't even take a poo poo without losing his underwear. And this supposed superfan complained that he can't "raw dog it in jeans" but if he had actually watched the show he'd know better than to bring jeans in the first place - they're terrible when it's hot, and miserable to wear when wet.

The aggressively offensive tactic and fashion choice was not a winning strategy for Philip Sheppard, and will not be a winning strategy for Dan.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Fenris13 posted:

It's absurd to say this two episodes in. Generally a season being bad doesn't become readily apparent until 3-4 episodes in. And we've already got some interesting characters. Blue collar seems boring, yes, but No Collar has Jenn and Will, who are pretty cool, and Joe who is boring but likable, and Hali, who has Eliza-like reaction shots. And White Collar seems to have most of the seriously dangerous players clustered in it, minus Joaquin.
The problem is mostly that Blue Collar hasn't gone to tribal council yet. If they go next episode, we'll get more insight into the tribe's internal dynamics. I still don't really know the three women as anything other than Tattoo Chick, Unreasonably Paranoid About Dan Girl, and An Invisible Kelly.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Binary Logic posted:

The aggressively offensive tactic and fashion choice was not a winning strategy for Philip Sheppard, and will not be a winning strategy for Dan.

It depends on his intentions and awareness.

I would argue that a near optimal strategy (i.e. the strategy with the highest expected value) is the "loyal goat". Someone that'll get dragged to the end that everyone understands will never flip, but will never win the grand prize.

You say it wasn't a winning strategy for Philip (and people stay the same of Natalie in RI), but they they were the runners up. And runners up win hundreds of thousands of dollars.

I think the actual optimal strategy, one that hasn't been tried yet as far as I know, is to be a loyal goat while playing a completely fictitious character. Because when it comes down to it, playing a goat is easily the most reliable way to make it to final tribal. If you can get to final tribal as a goat, and then reveal yourself to have been playing a character the entire time? You have a drat good chance at winning. I'm not talking Philip overplaying his secret agent thing, I'm talking "corporate lawyer pretends to be racist farmer" level shenanigans.

People have commented in the past that you'd have to be a psychopath to be able to consistently act convincingly to Keyser Soze Survivor, but I don't actually think that's true when you're trying to goat yourself.

I think Jeff has been wanting someone to try this for years, since he ALWAYS asks people what their names are during their first encounters. If you can play the entire game with a fake name, occupation and grating goat-worthy personality, get to the end and reveal your name is literally different with Jeff confirming? (since, "you're just saying you were deliberately annoying!" is an obvious counter to the fake goat, playing from the beginning with a fake name demonstrates supreme commitment)

Arcanen fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 8, 2015

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
So yeah we are watching different shows.
Phillip was a goat to Boston Rob.
And Mike - Dan's only ally and therefore the only player he could be a goat to - is no Boston Rob.

Shakagun posted:

People have commented in the past that you'd have to be a psychopath to be able to consistently act convincingly to Keyser Soze Survivor, but I don't actually think that's true when you're trying to goat yourself.

I think Jeff has been wanting someone to try this for years, since he ALWAYS asks people what their names are during their first encounters.
There is zero indication that Jeff has been wanting someone to try this for years. Maybe you have wanted this. But Probst has the opposite view to what you claim for him:

Jeff Probst recently posted:

“And on a game like Survivor, where you strip everybody of every comfort you can think of — your friends, your favourite food, your pillow, your blanket, everything — that nature seems to come out even faster. You get so debilitated you just can’t hide it.”

He doesn't want fakes or phonies; he wants the game to strip away all artifice and show people at their core.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 8, 2015

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

It would be great TV if someone did hide it though... where the other players see one persona, and the viewers see another. The closest we've had is Brian. It's how I would play the game. But gently caress island life. :toot:

rafington
Aug 21, 2008

Shakugan posted:

I would argue that a near optimal strategy (i.e. the strategy with the highest expected value) is the "loyal goat". Someone that'll get dragged to the end that everyone understands will never flip, but will never win the grand prize.

Maybe once you get to the merge and no one likes you and you realize you have a very low chance of winning, it could be correct to play the goat. Like if you're in Kass's position after the first postmerge vote in Cagayan, it might be smart to just continue to piss everyone off and hope to get dragged to the end. But there's no way that playing that way from the start has a high expected value, people very often just vote off the person they don't like during an off vote (the Morgan vote comes to mind), and you end up trading a chance at a million for a very slightly better chance at what, 50k? From what I remember of RI they were on the verge of voting off Philip several times and it was only Boston Rob's complete control over everything that kept him in the game.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

rafington posted:

Like if you're in Kass's position after the first postmerge vote in Cagayan, it might be smart to just continue to piss everyone off and hope to get dragged to the end. But there's no way that playing that way from the start has a high expected value
And there's no way to predict for example in that season Wu, who had the $1 million within reach, would refuse the goat and take a strong competitor to the final based on his concept of "honour".

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah, I think being a goat isn't a sure thing, especially off the bat.

Also about giving a fake name, I'm not sure that can work. Jeff is under no obligation to lie for you, nor confirm the truth for you, from what I can tell. Who's to say he won't call you by your real name during a challenge or something?

All that being said I do think it would be amazing if someone did it and made it work. But, I think in any type of goat case, you need to back it up with some gameplay credibility. One thing a decent number of jurors latch onto is "you were just a coattail rider, you didn't do anything." "I was doing it ON PURPOSE!" won't be that good of a defense if you want to convert your second place goat game into a first place win. So you still need to make some strategic moves you can claim credit for, while also pretending to be a got.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mills posted:

It would be great TV if someone did hide it though... where the other players see one persona, and the viewers see another. The closest we've had is Brian. It's how I would play the game. But gently caress island life. :toot:

Most people aren't high-functioning sociopaths though.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Most people aren't high-functioning sociopaths though.

Yeah. But they should cast one.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

Mills posted:

Yeah. But they should cast one.

Hello Mills. How are we today? Have you yet sent your application to CBS Survivor?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rarity posted:

Dan seems too arrogant, patronising and uncaring for someone to like him

If you think these Blue Collar people are great and not completely insufferable than maybe. The fact that Dan is sort of whacky is a nice change from those guys.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Nexal posted:

Hello Mills. How are we today? Have you yet sent your application to CBS Survivor?

I'm good. I have not sent an application as Australians cannot apply. :)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nexal posted:

Americans only. :(

efb

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Rick posted:

If you think these Blue Collar people are great and not completely insufferable than maybe. The fact that Dan is sort of whacky is a nice change from those guys.

He talked to grown women as if they were 5 year olds. It was horrible.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Dan genuinely seems like a good dude, but lacked a ton of social awareness in those first few episodes (his wardrobe choices in the show were pretty foolish, too). However, he might just be the kind of guy who mellows out after a week or two when he gets used to the swing of things.

Having said that, he's EASILY the most likable person on that tribe. Mike was likable until he started going blue collar aggro on everyone. Rodney seems just like a pretty dislikable guy all around. The women haven't had much of an edit so far, but what we've seen from them is less than impressive.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Rob Cesternino works pretty hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcxnjScLYzM

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Finally got a chance to catch up on the first couple episodes. Pretty bland unoffensive episodes so far, nothing too awful, nothing particularly great. Tough to get much of a read on the rest of the season based on what we've seen so far.

Wasn't too broken up to see creepy skinny Fabio (the model, not the Survivor legend) go home. Had he stayed a few more episodes it could have been entertaining, but it's not some huge loss.

I immediately want to like the Dr Will looking guy Joaquin on White Collar. He's had a couple ok moments so far, nothing spectacular, but I want him to be a robot secretly controlled by Dr Will in the worst way.

I don't mind Naked Max, Nina, or Tyler so far. Dan is growing old real fast with his wannabe Rupert/Phillip shtick. Lindsey kind of looks like moldy trout with all the bad tattoos.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008

Binary Logic posted:

Are we even watching the same show?!

It was Dan who started out being petty shallow and angry. And abrasive.

Dan is a clown with his 'manties' and other silliness . They're trying to win challenges while this goof couldn't even take a poo poo without losing his underwear. And this supposed superfan complained that he can't "raw dog it in jeans" but if he had actually watched the show he'd know better than to bring jeans in the first place - they're terrible when it's hot, and miserable to wear when wet.

It's still a bit too early for me to say if I like Dan or not (I lean towards like, but the scene of him being condescending towards the ladies was certainly offputting), but the players generally don't get to choose what they wear anymore. It's not a coincidence that almost the entire white collar tribe is wearing collared yellow shirts, for example. It's certainly possible, and even likely, that Dan did not choose to wear jeans into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
If they could choose what to wear, someone would have brought one of those hats with the bug-nets that cover your entire head. It's just good strategy.

• Locked thread