Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't get me wrong, I totally buy that you can get super addicted to nicotine and you feel awful without it.

But even if you're jonesing really hard for a cig, its just like "aw yeah there it is." Its more about relieving those bad feelings than anything, right? I don't think you're like, having an orgasm when you light up, which is the fetishistic take on smoking that some movies seem to have. Maybe I'm overthinking it. Thread does say irrational though!

Although in general it seems that movies massively overplay the effects of drugs. I guess its part cliche (lots of popular drug movies) and part just lazy or something. I imagine part of it is just ignorance and people growing up in DARE programs learning that all drugs are like heroin and get you addicted and make you hallucinate.

I guess now we're getting into a new irritating movie moment for me: When a character is supposed to be drunk or on drugs and they totally do not act like they are drunk or on drugs but instead act either really sober or on all the drugs.

I feel like cocaine in particular is massively overrated in films, probably by people who have never taken it? I guess that's more of a rational movie irritation though.

As for irrational, am I the only one who thinks Wolf of Wall Street was really juvenile and pointless? Scorsese is supposed to be this gigantic director, but he seems to be a teenage boy at heart. After Goodfellas he's just been kinda remaking Goodfellas over and over and over.

And at least Goodfellas had some great drama and characters and tension. Wolf of Wall Street was just like "hey lets take drugs and party with Leo: The Movie"

If you don't like Scorsese, you're a dumb gently caress motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Boy, I'll never forget those Goodfellas rip offs Shutter Island, Gangs of New York, Shine a Light, Hugo, The Departed, and The Aviator... No seriously what the gently caress is wrong with you.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Silence of the Lambs - that bit where 'he ate her face and his pulse didnt go over 85' irritates me. They intend it to imply that he's as ruthless as a shark but to me it implied more that he has the resting heart rate of an olympic runner. It's distracting since they did a fine job building a psychopath without throwing in 'his crazy has been measured by science'.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Supreme Allah posted:

Silence of the Lambs - that bit where 'he ate her face and his pulse didnt go over 85' irritates me. They intend it to imply that he's as ruthless as a shark but to me it implied more that he has the resting heart rate of an olympic runner. It's distracting since they did a fine job building a psychopath without throwing in 'his crazy has been measured by science'.
Everything with Hannibal Lecter in apart from Manhunter is at least partially dedicated to wanking over what an awesome cool psychopath he is and it's loving terrible.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Supreme Allah posted:

If he was an Olympic runner his resting heart rate would probably be in the low 40s though.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

Pilchenstein posted:

Everything with Hannibal Lecter in apart from Manhunter is at least partially dedicated to wanking over what an awesome cool psychopath he is and it's loving terrible.

Hannibal: The TV Show is pretty great. It's got a healthy level of disrespect for the source material, Mads Mikkelsen is fantastic as Hannibal and the rest of the cast is great as well. It also does a good job of actually keeping Hannibal as the villain.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Pilchenstein posted:

That was a line from the book Silence of The Lamb and in Red Dragon he was not seen as the super psychopath.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Zaphod42 posted:

As for irrational, am I the only one who thinks Wolf of Wall Street was really juvenile and pointless? Scorsese is supposed to be this gigantic director, but he seems to be a teenage boy at heart. After Goodfellas he's just been kinda remaking Goodfellas over and over and over.

And at least Goodfellas had some great drama and characters and tension. Wolf of Wall Street was just like "hey lets take drugs and party with Leo: The Movie"

Remember all the times in the movie where he's like "and then, for no reason, something terrible happened to someone close to me? Weird. Anyhoo..." Scorsese is kind of trusting the audience to realize that this guy is a piece of poo poo and a compulsive liar, but the character himself is never forced to face up to it. There are a couple times when the movie explicitly points this out (the car getting hosed up) but there are dozens of others (e.g "you ought to be glad you've got a husband in such great shape!" while flexing his man boobs) where you have to notice it on your own. I didn't get this the first time I watched it but once you notice it it's real obvious that the movie paints him in a different light than his own narration does

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

swamp waste posted:

this guy is a piece of poo poo and a compulsive liar, but the character himself is never forced to face up to it.

I think that's kinda his point.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
The idea was to make you go "Wow wall street is a hosed up place".

Unfortunately most saw it is "Wow I wish I was in the 1%"

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

bobkatt013 posted:

That was a line from the book Silence of The Lamb and in Red Dragon he was not seen as the super psychopath.
Manhunter/Red Dragon, tomato/tomato. I know the book wasn't called Manhunter but the book didn't have Gil Grissom jumping through a plate glass window to Iron Butterfly so the film is objectively better. :colbert:

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Just like the idiots who idolize Tony Montana from Scarface.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Imagined posted:

FratBoyDormPoster.jpg

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Imagined posted:

Or the Gordon Gekko worshiping fuckwits.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Let's discuss how idiots miss the point over drinks at a Gatsby themed party.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Or the girls who want to be swooned by the Phantom of the Opera.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Or the guys that start their own Fight Clubs.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ryoshi posted:

To be fair, Fight Club got derailed by turning into a terrorist cult. Maybe it works out better in real life.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Or the guys who think Full Metal Jacket is about how badass the army is.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Non Serviam posted:

Or the guys who think Full Metal Jacket is about how badass the army is.

So like Adam Baldwin?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

syscall girl posted:

So like Adam Baldwin?

I refuse to believe someone involved with the making of that movie, regardless of how much of a neoconservative he might be, thinks FMJ is pro army.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

All of I, Frankenstein.
I'm not sure I have ever been this bored during a supernatural action movie.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inzombiac posted:

All of I, Frankenstein.
I'm not sure I have ever been this bored during a supernatural action movie.

AS poor a movie as it was, at least the actors in Van Helsing were having fun. Best Outtake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMoSe-V36yw

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Non Serviam posted:

I refuse to believe someone involved with the making of that movie, regardless of how much of a neoconservative he might be, thinks FMJ is pro army.

It could be pro-army! All we see are Marines :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Nth Doctor posted:

Or the Gordon Gekko worshiping fuckwits.

Apparently they did a screening at a Wall Street firm and the stockbrokers CHEERED during the scene where Belfort tears open a cushion to get at a stash of cocaine, buries his face in it and snorts it up. That's a scene that follows (from memory) his wife telling him she's leaving him and taking the kids with her, and is clearly meant to show the guy at his lowest point, retreating into the childish, hedonistic activities of his youth because he can't face up to reality sober. And they cheered it :stare:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jerusalem posted:

Apparently they did a screening at a Wall Street firm and the stockbrokers CHEERED during the scene where Belfort tears open a cushion to get at a stash of cocaine, buries his face in it and snorts it up. That's a scene that follows (from memory) his wife telling him she's leaving him and taking the kids with her, and is clearly meant to show the guy at his lowest point, retreating into the childish, hedonistic activities of his youth because he can't face up to reality sober. And they cheered it :stare:

And Belfort's response to his wife declaring that she's leaving is to put his daughter in the car with him, lock the doors while the wife and housekeeper are screaming and crying, then drive backwards at top speed through the garage door and into a brick wall. And people still cheered.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Slime posted:

The heads are submerged in special time stuff, which I guess lets them have fresh heads forever and ever no matter who's head it is or how decayed/damaged it was before putting it in a jar.

If you lick the heads, you go back in time.

A-whaaaaa?

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

CJacobs posted:

I think that's kinda his point.

I disagree, but even if it was, it would be kind of smarmy to act like the guy got punished effectively or forced to be a good person, when the reality-- as the ending showed-- is that he's still flyin high on money from rubes like us. It left a bad taste in my mouth for sure, but that's better than forcing a dishonest moral to the story/

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?
Saw Chappie this weekend...

For a defense contractor making nigh-indestructible robots and mini-mechas, Tetravaal has the worst security in the world. The "guardkey" USB plug, robotic components, high-explosives, and guns, these all make their way out of Tetravaal's compound throughout the course of the movie, without ANY real oversight.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

BioEnchanted posted:

AS poor a movie as it was, at least the actors in Van Helsing were having fun. Best Outtake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMoSe-V36yw

Van Helsinki and League of Extraordinary
Gentlemen are such guilty pleasures for me. Not good movies at all, but I like the action hero/movie monster/literary legends mashup.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

People in old films kiss like cold fish. They just sort of hold their lips together, perfectly still (whilst counting down in their heads probably) then move away stiffly. It's so rigid and weird looking, it looks like teenagers in a high school production of Romeo and Juliet being made to kiss and they are finding it so awkwaaaaard

I'm wondering if there was some crazy decency law in place that made on scene kissing so sterile, sort of like how people in Indian soap operas always stop just shy of kissing because they can't have it on telly.

For reference, I'm watching Dial M for Murder and the way Grace Kelly kisses her lover is super weird.

zhorse
Aug 11, 2012

Dr Scoofles posted:

I'm wondering if there was some crazy decency law in place that made on scene kissing so sterile, sort of like how people in Indian soap operas always stop just shy of kissing because they can't have it on telly.

Yes, from 1930 to 1968 the Hays Code was a real thing.

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

zhorse posted:

Haha, here it is 'Excessive or lustful kissing, particularly when one character or the other is a "heavy".'

Holy poo poo, they had a 3 second rule on kissing. I was half joking about counting down, it just seemed so staged and un spontaneous the way they broke apart.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

swamp waste posted:

Remember all the times in the movie where he's like "and then, for no reason, something terrible happened to someone close to me? Weird. Anyhoo..." Scorsese is kind of trusting the audience to realize that this guy is a piece of poo poo and a compulsive liar, but the character himself is never forced to face up to it. There are a couple times when the movie explicitly points this out (the car getting hosed up) but there are dozens of others (e.g "you ought to be glad you've got a husband in such great shape!" while flexing his man boobs) where you have to notice it on your own. I didn't get this the first time I watched it but once you notice it it's real obvious that the movie paints him in a different light than his own narration does

Yeah I totally see that, but my point is I feel like they got too caught up with just having fun with the over-the-top drugs and sex in the movie. Like Wolf is just the first half of Goodfellas, and then when the turn starts really coming and everything would be falling apart, its "well, that's all folks!" and Leo drives off into the sunset with a wink and a nod. I dunno. Its not a terrible film by any means but I feel like it really could have said something more, but stopped short. Maybe I'm too cynical.

Ryoshi posted:

That's exactly my point; its like Wolf of Wall Street pulled a Fight Club where it cast a big pretty-boy Leonardo Di Caprio and had too much fun watching him party like casting Brad Pitt and then having audiences fall in love with him and his wild antics instead of being repulsed by the chaos growing with Project Mayhem.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah, but is that entirely the audience's fault or maybe was some part of the tone of the film off? That's all I'm saying, I feel like the movie had too much fun glamorizing all the excess because hey, Hollywood loves excess. What was the point of this movie again? Who cares, do some more coke and yell at the camera a few more times and then smash some stuff, it'll look great.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dr Scoofles posted:

People in old films kiss like cold fish. They just sort of hold their lips together, perfectly still (whilst counting down in their heads probably) then move away stiffly. It's so rigid and weird looking, it looks like teenagers in a high school production of Romeo and Juliet being made to kiss and they are finding it so awkwaaaaard

For reference, I'm watching Dial M for Murder and the way Grace Kelly kisses her lover is super weird.

I imagine doing a stage kiss is actually pretty awkward unless you have real chemistry with the other person.

I think that's the change, in modern days we expect more chemistry and so they specifically cast two people who look hot and are comfortable with each other moreso than two people who can play the specific roles really well and then just hoping they work well together.

Maybe that's why there's so many cases of on-screen couples staying together offscreen? It happens more often than not in Hollywood these days.

zhorse posted:

Oh snap. Truly it was a different time.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, but is that entirely the audience's fault or maybe was some part of the tone of the film off? That's all I'm saying, I feel like the movie had too much fun glamorizing all the excess because hey, Hollywood loves excess. What was the point of this movie again? Who cares, do some more coke and yell at the camera a few more times and then smash some stuff, it'll look great.

I'm not even an expert on analyzing film and it's pretty obvious that Leo's character is meant to be perceived as a sociopath and the fact that there are no consequences is meant to show that just like real life, many bankers will never receive comeuppance. You're supposed to be upset that he doesn't receive consequences and giving him them would remove the point of the movie.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm not even an expert on analyzing film and it's pretty obvious that Leo's character is meant to be perceived as a sociopath and the fact that there are no consequences is meant to show that just like real life, many bankers will never receive comeuppance. You're supposed to be upset that he doesn't receive consequences and giving him them would remove the point of the movie.

Honestly, artists always complain about how people perceive their work. After you create something then it's out of your control. Some people will get it, some won't (see college students worshipping Tony Montana)
A realm problem is people making American Sniper or Zero dark Thirty with the express purpose of making lovely people look good.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'm not even an expert on analyzing film and it's pretty obvious that Leo's character is meant to be perceived as a sociopath

He's also supposed to be dumb as gently caress. At one point he tries to talk to a FBI agent and almost gets charged for bribing a federal agent.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Jay 2K Winger posted:

Saw Chappie this weekend...

For a defense contractor making nigh-indestructible robots and mini-mechas, Tetravaal has the worst security in the world. The "guardkey" USB plug, robotic components, high-explosives, and guns, these all make their way out of Tetravaal's compound throughout the course of the movie, without ANY real oversight.

My gripe with Chappie is how Vincent Moore (Hugh Jackman's character) keeps trying to sell his Moose project to Tetravaal for police use. Realistically Tetravaal should be marketing that to the military & let that stuff trickle down to local law enforcement (like how current US LEO's do it through their DHS budgeting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not to mention that it's based on a true story and that's actually what happened.

A description of the prison where Belfort served 22 months, by another inmate:

quote:

Sports complex "The first morning, when I woke up it was a kind of university-campus like setting. I walked out and in the middle of the courtyard was a huge sign that said 'Sports Complex.' Basketball, football, baseball, soccer, bocce ball, volleyball, handball. And I looked around and there were about 500 guys there. And they all had on equipment; there was a soccer game and a baseball game going on."

Rec center "I looked over I saw the rec center. And I walked over to that and looked in and there were six pool tables, six foosball tables, six ping-pong tables."

Music department
"Then I went through this door and there was this huge music department. Three different musical groups were practicing. I said, 'Do they have concerts here?'

'Oh yeah! We have a routine on Friday nights and the bands play concerts outside.'"

Drugs This is my first 10 minutes -- I was on the compound I started walking with some guys around the walking track and I went [sniff] -- 'Are they smoking weed around here?' And they said, 'Yeah! You want some weed?'

I said, 'Listen, I don't want anything to do that with this kind of stuff. I don't want to get in any more trouble that I'm already in.' But yeah, anything that you wanted -- alcohol -- any and every type was $25 for 8 ounces. They had meth, they had steroids, they had cocaine."

No fences "There's no fences around the the place, about every 200 feet they have a sign on a stake that says 'Out of Bounds.' I got there on December 1 of 2005. That Christmas, about 25 guys just walked out on the freeway and they had their families pick them up and they left. So it's kind of an honor system."

Female prison guards as hookers "It didn't take me long to figure out, they had several really nice-looking female correctional officers there. You know, hair done up, big chest. It was kind of stunning to me. And they said 'Listen, you want some action?' I'm telling you the straight scoop. My understanding is on average they were making about $30,000 a month."

Some prisoners don't want to leave "This young kid came in that same first day I was there and my cubie was a guy named Evil. And he said 'Evil, I'm going to have to do something bad because I'm supposed to go home tomorrow.' And I said 'You're supposed to go home and you want to stay here?' He said, 'Yeah if I go home I've got to start paying rent!'"