Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

enraged_camel posted:

Right after he lost his Mirakuru he was defeated by Oliver, an archer, in hand-to-hand combat. To me that seems very un-deadly.

Well given most of the people who were on Mirakuru and got the antidote immediately dropped unconscious, I think it's fair to say he wasn't at his best then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

I dont know posted:

Well given most of the people who were on Mirakuru and got the antidote immediately dropped unconscious, I think it's fair to say he wasn't at his best then.

I dunno if that's what was intended but I'd be very willing to accept that explanation if they offered it, if it meant that we could get Manu Bennett as a credible threat again. Or he could just get Suicide Squad enhancements, maybe he has some minor Mirakuru remnants that get reactivated so he's still a little bit super, whatever.

:smith:
He was just a really good cast member & villain. But I guess I realize that they used up pretty much all of that story, and it's time to let go and create new characters.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

As only the Student can overcome the Master, Slade will covertly become an apprentice of every mercenary on the planet.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

XboxPants posted:

He was just a really good cast member & villain. But I guess I realize that they used up pretty much all of that story, and it's time to let go and create new characters.

Yep. He's a good actor, don't get me wrong. But, as we're seeing with Barrowman, it's possible to have too much of a good thing and have that thing not be good anymore.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jose posted:

I miss oliver ruthlessly murdering everyone it was more entertaining

Oliver murdering the rich was the best part of the show. :colbert:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

Yep. He's a good actor, don't get me wrong. But, as we're seeing with Barrowman, it's possible to have too much of a good thing and have that thing not be good anymore.

So now Barrowman's a problem?
You're a turd.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

So now Barrowman's a problem?
You're a turd.

?

This is from about four pages ago, maybe you should pay some attention?

ghostwritingduck posted:

Merlyn has been permanently neutered as a villain. His whole plan was based on the terrible calculation that Ollie was more likely to beat Ras in a fight than he was. Follow this up with Merlyn begging Ras for his life after being captured, and there's no reason to be threatened by him. It's really unfortunate after how strong of an antagonist he was in the first season.

enraged_camel posted:

I totally agree with you regarding Merlyn. They humanized him a lot this season, and despite Barrowman being a really good actor, I think the entire charm of his character is gone now.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm okay with the show, I just wish the main character stopped being so loving unlikable. I also wish Merlyn had not reappeared because he's gone down the drain now, but oh well.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Right after he lost his Mirakuru he was defeated by Oliver, an archer, in hand-to-hand combat. To me that seems very un-deadly.

He was a special forces operative who helped train Oliver. Even before Miraku became an issue, Slade Wilson wasn't exactly somebody you would pick a fight with at the local bar. The Miraku made Slade sloppy, and he was expecting to win the fight through his superstrength.

Also, Archers tended to be up there with blacksmiths as people you don't want to pick a fight with. Somebody who has a day job of pulling and holding a 90lb drawstring longbow could probably throw a decent right hook.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

enraged_camel posted:

?

This is from about four pages ago, maybe you should pay some attention?

Four Five posts above.
You said you Barrowman was not good anymore, that makes you a turd.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oliver murdering the rich was the best part of the show. :colbert:

Did he ever murder a single rich person?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Off the top of my head is the dude in the roof pool

\/\/ - Yea actually I think you're right. I don't know they all jumble together in my brain

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 7, 2015

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

McSpankWich posted:

Off the top of my head is the dude in the roof pool

Didn't Deadshot kill that dude?

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Oliver never murdered a 1%-er, he only took their money. I think the only person on that list in season 1 that he actually killed was the German arms dealer.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I binged through this series in the last two weeks and I'll admit some of S1 is jumbling together, but I could swear he killed the first name he went after on the list. Hence the vigilante vs. killer talk. The rest knew of him after the murder and gave up the money after that in fear of their lives.

Right?

And it was really fun reading along with this thread while watching S3. Barrowman :argh: and Black Driver make me laugh every time.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
No, he just took his money. Merlyn is the one who killed him later.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

greatn posted:

He only murders blue collar henchman union members

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Azhais posted:

He only murders blue collar henchman union members

"I don't kill people anymore, but plebs aren't people."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Bruceski posted:

"I don't kill people anymore, but plebs aren't people."

The Arrow and the Flash are the enemies of the Proletariat :ussr:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It was especially ridiculous in season one. Like, I can accept that if you're in a paramilitary street gang then maybe you're fair game, but Ollie was straight up murdering security guards while giving the actual person who did horrible poo poo the option to live

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's kind of interesting that one of the guys guarding the episode one villain could very well have just been Diggle if the dice had fallen a little differently.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

greatn posted:

It's kind of interesting that one of the guys guarding the episode one villain could very well have just been Diggle if the dice had fallen a little differently.

Then we wouldn't have The Arrow because Ollie would be dead.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Ollie would kill a hundred Diggles for the chance to let one evil rich person live.

And while punishing street criminals for relatively minor crimes (remember when they protected those poor banks from Clock King? The guy who strictly avoided civilian casualties and was only stealing to fund his dying relative's hospital bills?) he was happy to protect his drug driving sister and his drunk driving friend Laurel, and totally forgive his mother for shooting him.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They did acknowledge the security thing. Lance gave his body count once, and it was a lot lower than all the people he'd shot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VagueRant posted:

Ollie would kill a hundred Diggles for the chance to let one evil rich person live.

And while punishing street criminals for relatively minor crimes (remember when they protected those poor banks from Clock King? The guy who strictly avoided civilian casualties and was only stealing to fund his dying relative's hospital bills?) he was happy to protect his drug driving sister and his drunk driving friend Laurel, and totally forgive his mother for shooting him.

You know other than putting people in danger due to hiring people who did kill and setting up a train to ram into a bus.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Aphrodite posted:

They did acknowledge the security thing. Lance gave his body count once, and it was a lot lower than all the people he'd shot.

Yep. Oliver mostly just shot dudes in the shoulder in S1. He did kill a lot of people though

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Why, the hell, can only the student overcome the master? That's some weird cartoon logic. What if the student just sucks at swordfighting.

Next season will have Felicity calculate how Ollie can reach a million-to-one chance to beat R'as, collecting and equipping artifacts to reach that exact chance. Because we all know that a million-to-one chance succeeds nine times out of ten.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
This is "student overcoming the master" thing is all a part of Merlyn's plan. Merlyn's master is Ra's al Ghul, but if Oliver becomes Ra's al Ghul then he becomes Merlyn's master and thus Merlyn can then beat him. It's simple really.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was especially ridiculous in season one. Like, I can accept that if you're in a paramilitary street gang then maybe you're fair game, but Ollie was straight up murdering security guards while giving the actual person who did horrible poo poo the option to live

I think the idea is we are supposed to assume he injures them but doesn't kill them. The pilot had guys get shot up with arrows but a scene or two later it's mentioned they are in the hospital.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oroborus posted:

I think the idea is we are supposed to assume he injures them but doesn't kill them. The pilot had guys get shot up with arrows but a scene or two later it's mentioned they are in the hospital.

Crippling hospitals bills may be worse than death. Oliver is truly the worst part of "his" city.

greatn posted:

:aaaaa:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

greatn posted:

His mom. According to Slade.

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
He steals death from the rich and gives it to the poor

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

CHOOOOOSE!

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

His mom chose to go out like a badass. He never picked anyone.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
But it's because of Ollie! :argh:

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
What's the thread title referencing?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A comment from Amell about the first press photo of him in costume.

Apparently when they were showing it around to the producers, cast etc. Katie Cassidy said it looked like he was a bit too excited, so they altered the photo before releasing it.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Crippling hospitals bills may be worse than death. Oliver is truly the worst part of "his" city.

Still not as bad as Reese kneecapping everyone in Person of Interest :)

Crunk Abortion
Mar 5, 2009

Young based lord and I look like JESUS

ftfy

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

They should just go ahead and make Batman the next big enemy. Maybe the Joker sticks him with Mirakuru, that seems his sort of thing.

On a more serious note, I hope that Ray either gets integrated properly into this or Flash, or gets his own show soon. He's all suited up now, get on with it please. Just let him go be awesome somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

McDragon posted:

They should just go ahead and make Batman the next big enemy. Maybe the Joker sticks him with Mirakuru, that seems his sort of thing.

On a more serious note, I hope that Ray either gets integrated properly into this or Flash, or gets his own show soon. He's all suited up now, get on with it please. Just let him go be awesome somewhere.

Last I heard, he has been cast as a main on the Arrow/Flash spinoff show.

• Locked thread