Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm going to have to check that out, thanks.

Here's the complete playlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samiz
Sep 10, 2013

Cacophony-aside, this is the epitome of a stream that is kind of pointless. Like... granted, it's weird to just watch people play videogames online in the first place, but then you find some people you like watching, you kind of look past it, and this brings it right back. He seems, at least from the very beginning, painfully uninteresting. Like, why bother?

I was actually too disturbed by all the noise to even notice that but now that you've mentioned it; it seems like he's been forced to do it. You can't just stream just because; you should stream when you have fun doing it and not to try to please someone which it seems like he's doing.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Cacophony-aside, this is the epitome of a stream that is kind of pointless. Like... granted, it's weird to just watch people play videogames online in the first place, but then you find some people you like watching, you kind of look past it, and this brings it right back. He seems, at least from the very beginning, painfully uninteresting. Like, why bother?

You could actually ask this question of 99% of all twitch streamers.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Samiz posted:

Tay Zonday (known for making Chocolate Rain) tried streaming

Sorry you missed the classic Tay Zonday streams of yesteryear

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

its fun

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jamesman posted:

You could actually ask this question of 99% of all twitch streamers.

I completely and totally agree with this.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
"Hey goons, I have diabetes" is still probably one of my favorite lines to open up a video tbh

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Captain Sheepy posted:

"Hey goons, I have diabetes" is still probably one of my favorite lines to open up a video tbh

Link? I need to hear this.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Link? I need to hear this.

May you be forever enlightened!

wall
Nov 23, 2007
like, a brick one.
I really enjoy lets plays that have developers commentating on their games. The ones I know about are The Lion King, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Ratchet and Clank and Psychonauts. Does anybody know of any more?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I know there's an LP of the Dreamfall: The Longest Journey devs playing through that somewhere. They get stuck on a few of their own puzzles and complain about them. :allears:

I can't find the link, I know it's buried somewhere in the Dreamfall Chapters thread in Games.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't see the thread anymore but http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3666200 Mckilligan did an LP of The Bureau with one of the developers.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLo5ZVwMpQoLNQdFtI6VW9ecyMseAAXgI3

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 8, 2015

Mulgar
Dec 8, 2013

wall posted:

I really enjoy lets plays that have developers commentating on their games.

Hideki Kamiya did a developer commentary of Bayonetta 1 on the Platinum Games website
http://platinumgames.com/2011/04/27/bayonetta-developer-commentary-part-2/

Alternatively you could watch this playlist on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfNFDvsu6rLXfPdhe9xnuIh0o897o8beW

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Hang on, this isn't the Recommendation thread, so there's no rule against plugging my old Warrior Within LP. The thread's in archives now, so you'll need that upgrade to read Gimbal lock's posts about the development of the game, but he did join me for commentary on one episode. I don't remember whether he was a guest in any of the other Ubisoft PoP LPs offhand, but it might be worth checking.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
Does anyone know of any good LPs of the Gears of War series? SA hasn't done any and I'm vaguely interested in them.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
That Tay Zonday stream was so amazing I had to retsupurae it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AU3kh_T-_g

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
And in the end, it was the only thing interesting about his stream. His gameplay is boring and unremarkable and I don't think he's very good either. For most of the video I'm not even sure he's actually playing, just listening to himself talk?

Mr. Soop
Feb 18, 2011

Bonsai Guy

Mr DJB posted:

That Tay Zonday stream was so amazing I had to retsupurae it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AU3kh_T-_g

A journey into the heart of the schizophrenia. :tinfoil:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Oh man, a "friend" of mine (really, some loser psychopath that I met at work who just got fired a few weeks ago; I have him on Facebook simply because it's fascinating to read the poo poo he posts) is posting now about all the games he's going to be lp-ing soon, like it's some awesome and super-interesting thing people are going to like.

I can't wait, because I'm going to be sharing the links here, if he does.

Then again, he's also terrifically horrible with following up many of his "great ideas".

Edit: got confirmation that these videos will be, in fact, going up on YouTube, if they ever happen at all.

This guy used to bring knives to work.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 10, 2015

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

wall posted:

I really enjoy lets plays that have developers commentating on their games. The ones I know about are The Lion King, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Ratchet and Clank and Psychonauts. Does anybody know of any more?

The strategy guide for Ratchet Deadlocked had a bonus disk that I recall being essentially this. Been years since I watched it though.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
Someone I knew for a few years now some time ago started doing a Minecraft Youtube LP troupe with some folks he met somewhere. They never seem to get any views whatsoever, which is a shame since they work really hard editing a lot of their videos, which I guess just goes to show how saturated that whole Minecraft LP field is. It's really nothing that anyone probably hasn't seen before a hundred times already, but they're alright people.

Funny enough when I talked to them (the one I knew) about it, he kind of refused to call "what [he] does as a 'let's play' of any sort." I kind of thought that was interesting and I think I can kind of understand what they mean. Would be doing random gently caress-around video series with your friends really count as an LP? Even regardless still, he's pretty enthusiastic to be making videos whenever the subject comes up, so I guess they're just happy to be doing this for fun, which is more genuine than probably anyone else on Youtube doing the same old dead horse Minecraft videos.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Captain Sheepy posted:

Would be doing random gently caress-around video series with your friends really count as an LP?

Sure why not? Let's Play is not some elitist designation the requires specific standards to be met. Like, some of the best LP's were just random fuckarounds which happened to take place in the framework of a video game.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
I suppose you're right! Though, I guess it also can't be helped that Let's Play will always be one of those things where everybody may have a different definition of it. Just something I thought was interesting.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Captain Sheepy posted:

Let's Play will always be one of those things where everybody may have a different definition of it.

Let's Play - Videos/Screenshots where a person/group commentates/screams over their gameplay

How is that for a definition of Let's Play?

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

Golden Goat posted:

Let's Play - Videos/Screenshots where a person/group commentates/screams over their gameplay

Good enough for me, I suppose!

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Golden Goat posted:

Let's Play - Where slowbeef makes a few YouTubers rich and he doesn't get anything because he didn't silently patent the concept like a big dummy.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Things have been awfully quiet on the DarkSydePhil front. For most people, that would mean they're staying the course of not doing anything lovely, so they don't need to be called out, but for Phil, that means people are just getting tired and giving up.

I decided to see if there was any news, and while nothing earth-shattering, I was greeted by this.

If you've paid attention to Phil, you'll know that he's spent the past 4-5 years, making GBS threads on Minecraft and his fans. He's now "begrudgingly" playing it because he set it as one of his Patreon goals, and that goal was reached. He's said he might continue to set new goals to keep playing it if the videos are popular, so he is fully admitting to playing a game just because he is being paid for it, but he's totally not in this for the money you guys.

You can't spell "desperate" with "D" "S" and "P."

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I dunno, I think with DSP's ban from his own forums we've reached the point where it can't get any better so I don't see much of a point following DSPs amazing adventures anymore.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't pay attention to most YouTubers, so I only know of DSP from this thread (and only reading about him), but I totally thought, before watching that Minecraft video, that he was some huge blob, like that angry Francis guy.

Still looks like a douche, though.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

Jamesman posted:

so he is fully admitting to playing a game just because he is being paid for it, but he's totally not in this for the money you guys.

Eh, he admitted that back when he got annoyed at Dark Souls. Also I've seen plenty of people, including goons, play games because their Patreon paid them to, while complaining that they didn't want to and were just doing it because they were paid to; it's not that much of a spectacle.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I actually watched a few of the "This is how you don't play" videos recently and my god, the guy manages to find ways to fail that I didn't even know of. Did you know you can fail a mission in San Andreas by getting locked in a freezer with another NPC? I certainly didn't until nearly 11 years later.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

frozentreasure posted:

Eh, he admitted that back when he got annoyed at Dark Souls. Also I've seen plenty of people, including goons, play games because their Patreon paid them to, while complaining that they didn't want to and were just doing it because they were paid to; it's not that much of a spectacle.

The thing is DSP has always adamantly denied doing anything that would be constituted as "selling out" and doing things for money. He says time and time again that he plays games for fun and it's not at all about the money, but then he turns around and says "This is my JOB!" and "I wouldn't even being playing this if I weren't getting paid!" and making people meet Patreon goals to play a game he has poo poo on for half a decade. It's the hypocrisy.

You can be totally upfront and play games for fun and ALSO plays games because you are getting some monetary gain for it, or you can even ONLY play games because you are getting some monetary gain for it. Phil is just not up front about it so he gets called out about it, and about all the other things he is not upfront on.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Leal posted:

I actually watched a few of the "This is how you don't play" videos recently and my god, the guy manages to find ways to fail that I didn't even know of. Did you know you can fail a mission in San Andreas by getting locked in a freezer with another NPC? I certainly didn't until nearly 11 years later.

I didn't know the fight against The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3 actually was timed until I watch This is How you Don't Play MGS3.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

David D. Davidson posted:

I didn't know the fight against The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3 actually was timed until I watch This is How you Don't Play MGS3.
What happens if you take too long? Does the USSR collapse?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Remember how the boss called bombers to bomb the place you two were fighting in?

They do come.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Decided to watch the videos.

So after all those years ignorantly complaining about Minecraft and how stupid it is, Phil plays it and... actually kinda likes it. He's so full of wonder as he builds his awkward little house and learns how to make things. He's like a 5-year-old. :3:

Edit: Seriously, I thought this was gonna be the low point for Phil, but this could seriously be a turning point for him. He's playing a game and actually enjoying it! He's having fun and engaging his audience! And hell, the views for the videos reflect that these are some of his better videos (though I'm sure some of the views are from the novelty of this whole thing).

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 8, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

IGgy IGsen posted:

I dunno, I think with DSP's ban from his own forums we've reached the point where it can't get any better so I don't see much of a point following DSPs amazing adventures anymore.

What...how.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jamesman posted:

Decided to watch the videos.

So after all those years ignorantly complaining about Minecraft and how stupid it is, Phil plays it and... actually kinda likes it. He's so full of wonder as he builds his awkward little house and learns how to make things. He's like a 5-year-old. :3:

Edit: Seriously, I thought this was gonna be the low point for Phil, but this could seriously be a turning point for him. He's playing a game and actually enjoying it! He's having fun and engaging his audience! And hell, the views for the videos reflect that these are some of his better videos (though I'm sure some of the views are from the novelty of this whole thing).

What's gonna happen when it gets harder?

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

frozentreasure posted:

Why are people putting games they don't want to play on their paterons? Like half the time if the person hates the game the videos suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Isn't the problem with Minecraft LPs that you just run out of stuff to make videos on? Unless you're really good at building stuff at that game, but after a while it just seems like every minecraft lp turns into "Watch me talk about something else while I walk around collecting basic materials.

• Locked thread