Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
LESS THAN ONE HOUR PEOPLE PLEASE BE ON, OR YOU MIGHT BE HARMED BY A ROVING BAND OF LIBERTERIANS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

:yikes:

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

RETARD RETARD RETARD RETARD RETARD RETARD

R E T A R D

*breathes heavily*

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Seriously, out of everything to flip your poo poo over in this world this is what you pick.

What mental illness causes that?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Ekster posted:

Seriously, out of everything to flip your poo poo over in this world this is what you pick.

the illness that makes you a dumb retard human being. sup BillehS

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

The Something Retarded Forums › Games › March Games Chat Thread: So Bland Only The Worst Stand Out

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Ekster posted:

having a retardo child

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ekster posted:

Still playing tf2 in TYOOL 2015.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Nasgate posted:

Still playing tf2 in TYOOL 2015.

LOL

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

just read the word off of the wall
and the choir sings for you-ooo
now all the quests have come and gone
and there's nothing left to prove
ohhhhhh look what you've done
you've shouted "FUS!" at everyone
oh well it seems like such fun
but there's no loot left to be won
ohhhhhh look what youve done
you've shouted FUS at everyone
FUS at everyone
FUS at everyone...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Go back to Pitchfork with your hipster bullshit, Corban Goble.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I asked you not to post my real names on the forums.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

have the japanese ever made an rts. pikmin and kuf where you play a guy don't count

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Davincie posted:

have the japanese ever made an rts. pikmin and kuf where you play a guy don't count

herzog zwei, if that doesn't count go to hell.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Space Rangers

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

Grim Grimoire, FF 12 Revenant Wings and that bad Mana one. I guess Growlanser is kind of an RTS from what I remember of the PSP one.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Is there an official definition for what constitutes a "character action" game?

For example on Steam the Legend of Korra game is tagged as "character action", but a game like say, Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage is classified everywhere as a beat 'em up. You beat up mooks in both games, you have special moves, finishers, level rankings, dodges, parries, etc. What makes the first be classified as a character action game and the second one not?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Big Scary Owl posted:

For example on Steam the Legend of Korra game is tagged as "character action", but a game like say, Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage is classified everywhere as a beat 'em up. You beat up mooks in both games, you have special moves, finishers, level rankings, dodges, parries, etc. What makes the first be classified as a character action game and the second one not?

there are no universal genre definitions its marketing lingo. take your meds.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Big Scary Owl posted:

Real hurthling! posted:

there are no universal genre definitions its marketing lingo. take your meds.

While I do agree with Real hurthing! I will say that most people define "Character Action" games as those with deeper combo trees and emphasis on stylishly building those up with (usually) stylish, flare-y moves that you can chain together in a fluid way eg: Devil May Cry, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising. Whereas FotNS: Ken's Rage, Dynasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, is more about you taking out huge amounts of enemies (less so in FotNS) with canned dial-a-combos. Look up some vids because I've already written too much about it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Character Action is "I like this 3D beatemup more than the other ones, so it's character action"

If it wasn't that, God of War would count.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Mark Cerny called Crash Bandicoot character action.

Lurdiak posted:

Character Action is "I like this 3D beatemup more than the other ones, so it's character action"

If it wasn't that, God of War would count.

It does.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Big Scary Owl posted:

Tedious hack and slash game that people like over other tedious hack and slash games for some bewildering reason.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
the best part about the tedium is the waiting, can get so much done during that time

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

It's just a tag for losers who don't want their precious game "sullied" by being compared to other beat'em ups.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Big Scary Owl posted:

A third person action game that has a history-makingly terrible fanbase, but isn't Dark Souls.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

spudsbuckley posted:

Tedious hack and slash game that people like over other tedious hack and slash games for some bewildering reason.

I guess somebody could think DMC3 or Bayonetta was a tedious hack and slash game, but then, some people also trust in Allah

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I guess somebody could think DMC3 or Bayonetta was a tedious hack and slash game, but then, some people also trust in Allah

Those people are playing on the baby difficulty for babies.

Or they're so good at beat'em ups that they all appear too easy for them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I liked Castle Crashers, the tedious beat-em-up TMNT clone with cartoon poop jokes for 4 players which went overpriced once it hit steam. maybe it was always overpriced, i dunno, I had a roommate who bought it for his x box. I would like more games like that, though, where you ram buttons and level up with friends.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Just buy Guardian Heroes it's a far better game and Castle Crashers direct inspiration

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

"A game whose most direct influence is Devil May Cry" is about the best I can think of. It's a very badly-defined genre but I know I usually like the games that fall under it and find "normal" beat-em-ups boring as hell, so it works for me :shrug:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I usually just think of it as a game where just beating up the dudes isn't the point, beating up the dudes while scoring well (on time, combos, etc) is the point.

Which is why people don't like to count God of War, Dynasty Warriors, etc.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If Hyrule Warriors is an example of the Dynasty Warriors stuff, it's one of the hardest games I've ever played, but I guess it does count as a beat-em-up.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Phantasium posted:

I usually just think of it as a game where just beating up the dudes isn't the point, beating up the dudes while looking fabulous is the point.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

You must be Ed, because you're about to get hosed... by goon justice, idiot.

I was looking for an FAU post to quote and this is the first one i found.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Whenever I see Bayonetta all I can think about is Hideki Kamiya trying as hard as he can not to jerk off to her but failing miserably, and then talking about blocking people on twitter or something.

It's the glasses that do it for him.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Whenever I see Bayonetta all I can think about is Hideki Kamiya trying as hard as he can not to jerk off to her but failing miserably, and then talking about blocking people on twitter or something.

Man git your facts straight. Jeanne's his go to gurl.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
When your balls are being crushed under someone's gunheels I don't think it matters whose gunheels they are.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

CJacobs posted:

How come he keeps claiming he has nothing to do with Bayonetta 2 when he is in the credits? Does he just hate Bayonetta fans that much? I wouldn't blame him.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

ive never played bayonetta but her hair turns into her clothes and that is very funny. fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I said come in! posted:

How come he keeps claiming he has nothing to do with Bayonetta 2 when he is in the credits? Does he just hate Bayonetta fans that much? I wouldn't blame him.

He's not claiming he had nothing to do with it, he just seems to be the type to get irritated because someone else was the director instead of him and he'd like them to get the credit.

• Locked thread