Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poorlywrittennovel
Oct 9, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Not in a weird way, they were straight up massive douchebags trying to take control of the plane.

Actually, come to think of it, I think the Gruul were the only green aligned guild to not try to take over the plane in the books. I also think the Boros and the Gruul were also the only guilds not to be the bad guys out of their own free will at any point in them either, but I could be remembering wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I dunno if it's the colour or just the fact that dragons are kindof assholes in general.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

poorlywrittennovel posted:

Actually, come to think of it, I think the Gruul were the only green aligned guild to not try to take over the plane in the books. I also think the Boros and the Gruul were also the only guilds not to be the bad guys out of their own free will at any point in them either, but I could be remembering wrong.

I mean, the Gruul are kind of bad guys. They are pretty literally eco terrorists and thieves/raiders. They're not deeply evil, but they're certainly at least Chaotic+Criminals.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I dunno if it's the colour or just the fact that dragons are kindof assholes in general.

What Magic character isn't an rear end in a top hat/evil?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GoutPatrol posted:

Karn

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

GoutPatrol posted:

Tamiyo just wants to check out your moon. Aren't moons great? I love a good moon.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Name a dragon who isn't a dick. There's probably one tops.

As for people who aren't assholes, uh, Gideon, Elspeth, Venser, Thalia, etc, etc, go down the line of white protagonists. I mean, I think white characters just know how to play their respective roles pretty well.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Ramos posted:

Name a dragon who isn't a dick. There's probably one tops.

As for people who aren't assholes, uh, Gideon, Elspeth, Venser, Thalia, etc, etc, go down the line of white protagonists. I mean, I think white characters just know how to play their respective roles pretty well.

Ugin seems alright.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Kumano and urabrask?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Darigaaz seems like he was OK.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I don't remember Hanna doing anything dickish. Actually, a chunk of the Weatherlight crew seemed to be decent folks as far as Magic legends go. Sissay, Hanna, Karn, that healer who I never remember her name...

Oh, and Squee. Squee's a good dude.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
I really want to see them explore more of the positive aspects of black in cards and characters. It's been nice to see some more white-aligned villains recently though. I just feel like it's interesting space.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Has Chandra actually even been evil?
I just recall her being an idiot and a little too eager to set poo poo on fire.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Question for you some of you, if you borrow a deck, or lend a deck out, and the player wins an event with some prizes, what is the etiquette? Not talking like 5 packs at FNM prize, like an IQ where they walk away with $100+ cash and 10+ packs.

Friend of mine has an extensive collection like me. between he and I we have everything not rock based in Modern more or less. We lend stuff out to our local playgroup fairly often. one player won an event with cash and product prizes, and really didn't express any sort of gratitude. Not really even a thank you. kind of bothered my friend. Just to contrast, yesterday I lent someone a deck they won the GP trial we played at for byes to Vegas and they were going, she was very happy and bought me a foil for my deck from the store as a thanks. It was very cool.'

I feel like if I were in a place where I walked away with cash and a bunch of packs I'd throw at least a couple packs at the person who lent me the deck as a thanks.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Hopping Ghost posted:

Tamiyo just wants to check out your moon. Aren't moons great? I love a good moon.

Socks with sandals is chaotic evil any way you slice it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

GoutPatrol posted:

Fblthp

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

jassi007 posted:

Question for you some of you, if you borrow a deck, or lend a deck out, and the player wins an event with some prizes, what is the etiquette? Not talking like 5 packs at FNM prize, like an IQ where they walk away with $100+ cash and 10+ packs.

I'd expect a verbal thank-you. Anything is else gravy. Expecting a cut without negotiating something ahead of time seems a bit much. Lending to a friend is not renting.

Personally, I'd buy the deck lender dinner or something, but I wouldn't get mad if I lent a dude a deck and got nothing. I'd just be happy that my deck won something, even if I wasn't the pilot.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
I sure wouldn't loan them a deck again.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I'm with both posters before me. I'd expect them to express some sort of gratitude at the very least. If you don't agree on anything I wouldn't expect a cut of the prize or whatever but at least a genuine thanks for lending them the deck, wanting you to share in their excitement of winning etc.

I probably wouldn't loan someone cards again if they didn't at least say thanks.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
More lifelink for the lifelink gods

Oh wait this was displayed earlier in the thread. I need coffee.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 8, 2015

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Wezlar posted:

I'm with both posters before me. I'd expect them to express some sort of gratitude at the very least. If you don't agree on anything I wouldn't expect a cut of the prize or whatever but at least a genuine thanks for lending them the deck, wanting you to share in their excitement of winning etc.

I probably wouldn't loan someone cards again if they didn't at least say thanks.

Fair enough. I am on the same page. My friend said he didn't even get a thank you, so the guy asked to borrow Twin again and my friend ignored him and then made an excuse. The borrower ended up not having a deck to play at the GP trial. I feel like this is going to come to some weird drama poo poo soon and the guy is going to insist he did say thanks and blah blah. I don't really care its not me, but I have to hear about it so i was curious on what other people think.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Allstone posted:

I really want to see them explore more of the positive aspects of black in cards and characters. It's been nice to see some more white-aligned villains recently though. I just feel like it's interesting space.

my favorite thing about Maro's article about black is when he tries to say Capitalism is a good thing

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

forbidden lesbian posted:

my favorite thing about Maro's article about black is when he tries to say Capitalism is a good thing

The Orzhov is the "good guild" right? The invisible hand. Of ghosts.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

A friend of mine borrows eternal decks from me all the time at our dailies. He gives me promos as a thank you often and will usually scoop if I'm paired down and he's eliminated, but I don't really expect anything.

Some of the grinders here also borrow eternal decks for bigger events and I just tell them to buy me something I'm missing if they place in the big money. There's too much risk and work there to not expect payment.

At an IQ it would depend. If I happen to have someone extra and someone wants to play, go for it, no strings. But if you say don't say thank you and crush a T8, next time I won't have an extra deck.

If you ask me to build you something, I expect something if you win and will make that clear (and I often ask them to get new sleeves.) Pulling cards takes time and physically digging through cards is often not what I want to do late before an event.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Allstone posted:

Elesh Norn is the only white villain i ever need. Shes the coolest bad person that can be defeated by most doors.

Wow that was 4 years ago :psyduck:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Elesh Norn is the only white villain i ever need. Shes the coolest bad person that can be defeated by most doors.

I want to see Elesh Norn meet Heliod on Theros. I imagine it would basically be him punking her until she infects enough of his followers to swap places as the new white deity. :getin:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Just means all the more opportunities for her to practice a sassy and royal sashay.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Mar 8, 2015

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I'm working on a Sultai Control deck and so far it's coming along nicely. Still need to hunt down 4 decently priced Temple of Malady, and maybe an extra Garruk or Ugin. Apparently everyone is running Thoughtseize though, which is rather expensive. I've got one, do I really need to drop 60 bucks on three more? Can Despise function as a decent substitute? Planning to try to go to a Standard event sometime next week for the first time.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Dohaeris posted:

I'm working on a Sultai Control deck and so far it's coming along nicely. Still need to hunt down 4 decently priced Temple of Malady, and maybe an extra Garruk or Ugin. Apparently everyone is running Thoughtseize though, which is rather expensive. I've got one, do I really need to drop 60 bucks on three more? Can Despise function as a decent substitute? Planning to try to go to a Standard event sometime next week for the first time.

It can substitute, but it'll probably cost you games over the tournament. There's a reason that thoughtseize is expensive, and that's because nothing else is quite as good. On the bright side, if you do decide to take the plunge on the seizes, they will hold their value pretty well after rotation due to extensive play in other formats, unlike most everything else in standard it will likely only climb in value.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Dohaeris posted:

Despise or duress are both decent cheap subs but thoughtseize is just so good.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Dohaeris posted:

You're complaining about the price of Thoughtseize, a card that is going to be playable forever and will never dip in price while talking about buying four of a crazy overpriced land that is going to be like a tenth of its current price the second it rotates out of standard? Your priorities seem askew. I think Despise is better than it gets credit for and will see some play at rotation, but not being able to grab spells is huge. I play Sultai control and I just use the one Malady I opened myself and sub the rest with the UB and UG temples because those are only like a buck, which is what they should be and I never have mana issues.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, but I can understand not being able to afford the thoughtseizes. In that case, I recommend Despise. Creatures in general have been a bigger threat in this meta than noncreatures, particularly the ever present rhino. However, that all depends on exactly what your meta is doing, if you're going to be seeing more control, you definitely want the other instead.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Failboattootoot posted:

Despise or duress are both decent cheap subs but thoughtseize is just so good.

Don't play Duress, it is not currently legal in standard.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

jassi007 posted:

Ugin seems alright.

Ugin is a massive dick. He put Niairi in the situation where she had to bring the Eldrazi to her plane and lock them there, condemning them if they ever got released (lol).

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Ugin is a massive dick. He put Niairi in the situation where she had to bring the Eldrazi to her plane and lock them there, condemning them if they ever got released (lol).

Oh yeah, dragon dick chat. Yeah, Ugin's not overtly evil or dickish, but he could not give less of a poo poo about the little people. Even Tarkir is just a dragon farm with people to eat. Heck, even Sorin learned from that one with Innistrad, using Avacyn as just a way to keep vampires and humans in a large number that both can survive though he's not completely disregarding one over the other.

I straight up know nothing about Darigaaz though.

edit: Nope, there's our one truly non-dick dragon. Sadly, that means like everyone else nice, the Phyrexians wrecked him.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 8, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I'd say if your friend offered the deck to him, I could overlook a lack of a thank you. If the dude asked your friend for it and didn't say thank you, then gently caress him and his mother. How old are the involved dudes?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ramos posted:

I straight up know nothing about Darigaaz though.

edit: Nope, there's our one truly non-dick dragon. Sadly, that means like everyone else nice, the Phyrexians wrecked him.

Two, actually. OG Darigaaz, a.k.a. Gherridarigaaz, died saving Urza from Radiant.

Her son, Rhammidarigaaz, a.k.a. Darigaaz, the Igniter, sacrificed himself in a volcano to turn the other 4 Dragon Primevals mortal because they were wrecking poo poo.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dohaeris posted:

I have a Russian and English Ugin if you need another. And yeah, Thoughtseize is necessary. You'll want to get your Thoughtseizes sooner rather than later, anyway, so you might as well bite the bullet. Go check the MtG Buying and Selling thread if you want to buy them. I'm sure someone has some Thoughtseizes to sell.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Starving Autist posted:

I don't understand spanish beyond a couple words, but google translates the flavor text as "was tortured by honoring their ancestors; now walks among them" which maybe means she was just experiencing internal conflict over the ancestor worship stuff that Dromoka isn't cool with?\

Ancestor Worship was the black part of Abzan, Dromoka isn't cool with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dohaeris posted:

The thing about Thoughtseize is that as long as you can swing the cash for it now, you can feel comfortable knowing that you'll probably always be able to sell it for around what you paid for it, or maybe more, in the future. That's probably not true for scrylands or those Planeswalkers once they leave standard.

• Locked thread