Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Allstone posted:

I really want to see them explore more of the positive aspects of black in cards and characters. It's been nice to see some more white-aligned villains recently though. I just feel like it's interesting space.

I really want to see a straight up Red/Black faction as the main protagonists for a block or something, the Mardu/Kolaghan are really sympathetic in ways, but I'd love to see a rebel faction that really plays up the self-determination and individuality of black, fighting against an oppressive regime or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

kizudarake posted:

I'd say if your friend offered the deck to him, I could overlook a lack of a thank you. If the dude asked your friend for it and didn't say thank you, then gently caress him and his mother. How old are the involved dudes?

He asked to borrow it, my friend is 35 the borrower is mid 20's? I think at this point my friend is a little too offended, like he can't quite let it go. He also just doesn't want to flat out say you can't borrow my poo poo anymore. It was awkward because I went to the shop friday the dude was asking me about borrowing the deck again from my friend, I didn't want to really get involved so i said I don't know. Then the girl I lent my tron deck to on Saturday bought me a couple foils (expedition map and chromatic star) which was really beyond nice, once my friend found out about that he was on facebook all "thats how you thank someone" so I expect it to be a thing soon.

I certainly don't expect people to pimp out decks etc. just for lending it out, but like you guys said and I agree at least a thank you is cool.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jassi007 posted:

He asked to borrow it, my friend is 35 the borrower is mid 20's? I think at this point my friend is a little too offended, like he can't quite let it go. He also just doesn't want to flat out say you can't borrow my poo poo anymore. It was awkward because I went to the shop friday the dude was asking me about borrowing the deck again from my friend, I didn't want to really get involved so i said I don't know. Then the girl I lent my tron deck to on Saturday bought me a couple foils (expedition map and chromatic star) which was really beyond nice, once my friend found out about that he was on facebook all "thats how you thank someone" so I expect it to be a thing soon.

I certainly don't expect people to pimp out decks etc. just for lending it out, but like you guys said and I agree at least a thank you is cool.

A bit late to the party, but your friend seems to be a little too salty at that. The lendee was indeed rude by not thanking him, but a lot of things could have happened, from forgetting, to planning something or whatever. You obviously know them better, but it seems like a situation that would be easily resolved if they just talked to one another.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Rimusutera posted:

I really want to see a straight up Red/Black faction as the main protagonists for a block or something, the Mardu/Kolaghan are really sympathetic in ways, but I'd love to see a rebel faction that really plays up the self-determination and individuality of black, fighting against an oppressive regime or something.

The thing with black is it's about SELF determination, not the determination of a group. If anything it would have to be played as anarchists fed up with a white-aligned system of oppressive rules, willing to use bombs strapped on puppies to have their freedom to strap bombs on puppies.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

jassi007 posted:

Your friend is being passive aggressive, which is dumb. at this point if the guy asks for the deck again, he's perfectly within his rights to just say no, and also not a dick for saying "no, because you were rather ungrateful the last time, honestly a thank you would have been good enough" but if causes drama or starts getting salty he didn't get a foil then he's turning into a dick in this situation too.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Rimusutera posted:

its still hilarious that Kolaghan kicking white out of Mardu really mellowed them out. I guess they had the fascist part of white

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god black is libertarians.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

A big flaming stink posted:

its still hilarious that Kolaghan kicking white out of Mardu really mellowed them out. I guess they had the fascist part of white

I wouldn't consider them more mellow, per se, its just in the previous timeline they seemed dicks because they were doing what Steppe Nomads do and raid other folks for resources. Mardu were pretty cool as they were; they had a similar family vibe going off like Abzan did, but more emotionally bonded than by rigid tradition.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

kolaghans just want to have fun

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Shout out to Corey Baumeister on camera right now, who just assigned 11 Polukranos damage (out of a 14 point activation) to a 13/13 Warden of the First Tree because he didn't read the card.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Oh god black is libertarians.

Each colour is a lot of things, but yeah Libertarians seem rather Black.

Also, Ive argued before that Maro is wrong to use Fascism as an example for what Mono-White does evil, and that BW is the primary two colours of fascism. Though, yeah :can:

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

If this GW deck gets really popular I can't possibly play anything besides sligh, I don't want these games to develop like this.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

As I've said before, a black hero nowadays would likely be one or more of the following:

1. Tragic
2. An outcast and considered a freak
3. Out to take over a society that presently and actively segregates

edit: Also, G/W devotion so wants some of those Wardens, at least in the sideboard.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

jassi007 posted:

How reasonable is the dude who wanted to borrow it? Would it be possible to maybe just take him aside and be like "Hey guywholentyoudeck was sort of offended you didn't really thank him after he won, he would probably really appreciate it if you said something to him next time you see him." without the dude blowing it up into a thing?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Wezlar posted:

How reasonable is the dude who wanted to borrow it? Would it be possible to maybe just take him aside and be like "Hey guywholentyoudeck was sort of offended you didn't really thank him after he won, he would probably really appreciate it if you said something to him next time you see him." without the dude blowing it up into a thing?

This is likely a good solution to the situation; at worst if the guy is unreasonable he just gets mad at your friend for being mad and you get the drama over with sooner rather than letting it stew. You know, like ripping a bandaid off when you're a kid.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Rimusutera posted:

Each colour is a lot of things, but yeah Libertarians seem rather Black.

Also, Ive argued before that Maro is wrong to use Fascism as an example for what Mono-White does evil, and that BW is the primary two colours of fascism. Though, yeah :can:

Authoritarian conformity is extremely white and not really black.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

These GW Devotion draws are stupidly awesome right now.

In a month they will just be stupid.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Jesus Christ, that GW Devotion deck needs a Ugin or something to break through those ridiculous boar stalls it seems to always run into against other green decks.

Especially the list with Sabertooth. Just generate 20-something mana, cast Ugin, -5 it to clear the board, pick up all your own cards with Sabertooth in Response.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The lending decks drama is the reason why I only lend things to my friends and never to the serious crowd that will use it to grind qualifiers or large events. My friends can certainly join me in those if they want. At least I know they'll grab me a dinner sometime. And, it seriously pisses some people off that I'm keeping the good cards away from "real magic players" and how dare I have so many FOWs/duals and we'd have a larger legacy scene otherwise, lol.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

Jesus Christ, that GW Devotion deck needs a Ugin or something to break through those ridiculous boar stalls it seems to always run into against other green decks.

That won't actually help with the mirror though since everyone's got Mastery of the Unseen. Master of Laurels would break the mirror if it was still in Standard. Is there any effect like that around?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Wezlar posted:

I would except I think my friend would figure out I said something and I really don't care to step in. My friend is being passive aggressive, the dude probably didn't mean to slight him, and its way out of proportion. I just really want nothing to do with it at this point. Just curious what everyone elses thoughts about lending etc. was.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Spoil Surrak already gently caress. :argh:

I'm at a super IQ right now, I don't think anybody was ready for my deck seeing as the majority of the field is looking like UB/Sultai control and RW Aggro/mono red burn.

I'm gonna get blown out by the random Jeskai deck.

But 4 Stubborn Denial in the main board is really, really good, wow.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Authoritarian conformity is extremely white and not really black.

Which is true, though Authoritarianism isn't exclusively limited to Fascism. The thing about Fascism is it adheres to things like Social Darwinism or Cultural Supremacy on both an individual and national level, the weak follow the strong and strong nations have a right to prey upon weak nations and so forth. Its pretty black to a degree, and I think Maro's use of it as example of evil white is slightly off, and a better example would just be a rigid Theocracy or such. Ultimately I'm being really nitpicky as gently caress and I recognize that though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Ramos posted:

That won't actually help with the mirror though since everyone's got Mastery of the Unseen. Master of Laurels would break the mirror if it was still in Standard. Is there any effect like that around?

Well, it leaves the manifests, but it clears up everything else and you've still got a Ugin.

Maybe they should just splash black for In Garruk's Wake or something. :getin:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I enjoyed the 29/29 Warden of the First Tree from Abzan Aggro. And the fact that his opponent punted and sent 11 damage out of 14 from a Polukranos fight at a 13/13 First Tree because he didn't read the card.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Count Bleck posted:

I'm at a super IQ right now, I don't think anybody was ready for my deck seeing as the majority of the field is looking like UB/Sultai control and RW Aggro/mono red burn.

You;'re still on Temur midrange right? How are all the main matchups for that deck?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rimusutera posted:

Which is true, though Authoritarianism isn't exclusively limited to Fascism. The thing about Fascism is it adheres to things like Social Darwinism or Cultural Supremacy on both an individual and national level, the weak follow the strong and strong nations have a right to prey upon weak nations and so forth. Its pretty black to a degree, and I think Maro's use of it as example of evil white is slightly off, and a better example would just be a rigid Theocracy or such. Ultimately I'm being really nitpicky as gently caress and I recognize that though.

If you want theocratic white, look at The Dark

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

What deck is this?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

Well, it leaves the manifests, but it clears up everything else and you've still got a Ugin.

Maybe they should just splash black for In Garruk's Wake or something. :getin:

Probably the better plan. That or the Warden for "Let's see what you can do after I sink a billion mana into this guy". In fact, the only reason people haven't done this yet I'm sure is just because Magic players can't read cards.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

If you want theocratic white, look at The Dark

A card called Angry Mob is white, i stopped looking after seeing that.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Reclamation Sage and Temur Sabertooth would clean up the mirror match in short order. I wouldn't be surprised if both became maindecks going forward. Nylea is another good way to break insane board stalls.

edit: Warden is not good because the deck chokes on white mana

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

I put it in my Captain Sisay EDH deck so I can play it and then kill someone when I play Urborg with Sisay next turn. They never see it coming.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Rimusutera posted:

You;'re still on Temur midrange right? How are all the main matchups for that deck?

The deck is a natural predator of the U/B and Sultai control decks, you've got threats for days and your painful manabase doesn't mean as much because you weren't going to run out of life anyway unless they've already secured the board. Abzan seems like a decent matchup, it usually goes 50/50 for me anyway.

Burn is horrible for the deck as the painful manabase is not very relevant. Usually your best play is block the swinging dude and hope its a bluff, but Stubborn Denial changes that immensely, the card is so good against decks that tap out every turn and is even better when all your creatures are either mana fixing or 4 power. Your winrate improves when you bring in the angers, but you actually have to draw one. Wild Slash is a lifesaver.

I haven't played against any GW devotion yet so I couldn't tell you, but I have a feeling anger is good against it provided they already aren't going off.

Nobody plays the Ascendancy decks around here for... some reason.

KidDynamite posted:

What deck is this?

Temur Midrange, my friend. I am literally the only person who still has faith in The Church of Knux.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

And that card hates Black. :ohdear:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

and my personal "favorite" art in the set:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

edit: Warden is not good because the deck chokes on white mana

My point is made. :v:

Yeah, okay, Warden doesn't cut it. Even Temur Sabertooth didn't break open an earlier game, though Reclamation Sage would likely help.

Sadly, Garruk's Wake isn't a permanent either, so you can't easily tutor it up.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 8, 2015

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

White does the groups of people thing, not necessarily red.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

As shown with zombies not being able to hold enough thought to be self serving like black is, the philosophies of tools colors use is not necessarily indicative of their overall philosophy.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Elyv posted:

and my personal "favorite" art in the set:

Ah man, I was kidding, but thinks anyway because at least I can agree that the Crusade is some drat fine art. I also like Exorcist and holy Light a lot too but I'm a sucker for that kind of art-style (impressionist I guess? I don't know much about art so I'm probably way off base)

Chamale posted:

White does the groups of people thing, not necessarily red.

Huh, I totally forgot that card existed, guess they still don't mind White being a little chaotic once in a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
SCG Coverage Team too good.

Osyp on Mardu Aggro vs. Temur Aggro

Game 2, Post sideboard.

Osyp takes some damage off of a t2 Savage Knuckleblade before casting Crackling Doom on his Turn 3.

Temur Aggro player restocks with another Elvish Mystic (total of 2) and a Frost Walker.

Cedric mentions how great Osyp's sideboard Arc Lightning would be in this spot, just as Osyp leaves the table to talk to a judge.

Patrick quips, "Judge, if I Arc Lightning my opponent's Frost Walker, and two Elvish Mystics do you DQ me for 'Unsportsmanlike Conduct' or is that a legal play?"

• Locked thread