Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah the OOP is the only one taken even remotely seriously. When my apprenticeship is done I'll be able to sign insurance inspections, and I'm not even an automotive tech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Let me know when I can come by with the forms.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Not the insurance inspection, in my experience - OOP certainly (since they can make some serious money from it).
Out of province is what I was thinking. :blush:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Those insurance sheets are a joke. How do you even define roadworthy? If the door is missing is that still roadworthy? Only time I've ever heard of a car failing was when the tech could fit his hand in a rust hole in the frame of the car.

I usually just grab my dad's old cert number and fill it out myself.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Let me know when I can come by with the forms.

It's gonna be a while since my shop's last service manager royally hosed me on my blue book. Most of my classmates from the first round of school are 4th years (or just finishing third) now, I just hit 2nd back in January :smith:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Do you have to pay provincial tax when you buy or sell a car in Alberta?

My parents are giving me their car, a 2002 Chrysler 300M. I'm moving to Ontario at the end of this month, so I'll need to get the car safetied / out-of-province-inspected when I get settled in, and insured. My father sent me the registration - I had to apply the sticker this morning, so it's good as far as AB is concerned until this time next year - and as far as I can tell, as soon as I sign the form the car officially belongs to me. At the moment, it's insured by and for my parents, and I've got a letter from my father in the glove compartment basically saying "I'm loaning this car to my son" in case I get into any trouble. Am I going to get a tax bill from the Alberta government when I register the car myself in Ontario?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't think you need to pay sales tax on an private car sale. I know nothing about PST but given the fact that nobody pays GST for private car sales here I would say you're fine.

Edit: Alberta doesn't have provincial sales tax anyways so I wouldn't worry about it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ExecuDork posted:

Do you have to pay provincial tax when you buy or sell a car in Alberta?

My parents are giving me their car, a 2002 Chrysler 300M. I'm moving to Ontario at the end of this month, so I'll need to get the car safetied / out-of-province-inspected when I get settled in, and insured. My father sent me the registration - I had to apply the sticker this morning, so it's good as far as AB is concerned until this time next year - and as far as I can tell, as soon as I sign the form the car officially belongs to me. At the moment, it's insured by and for my parents, and I've got a letter from my father in the glove compartment basically saying "I'm loaning this car to my son" in case I get into any trouble. Am I going to get a tax bill from the Alberta government when I register the car myself in Ontario?

There is no PST in Alberta at all and they certainly aren't going to come after you for GST on what amounts to a private sale.

Ontario on the other hand might try to pull something if you bring it in if it's not registered in your name already. When I was transferred to BC many years ago, I had to show my Alberta registration and insurance or else the fuckers where going to try and charge me PST on fair market value for my own car and bike.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Ontario has a special case for in-family car ownership transfer https://www.ontario.ca/faq/how-do-i-transfer-ownership-vehicle-family-member

Otherwise they charge full 15 percent tax on any and all car sales. Plus safety. And emissions. Also $20 processing fee. Plates are extra.

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
I didn't realize Alberta was weird in that you can buy and sell cars privately without paying tax. As somebody who buys pieces of poo poo to race in a field, I appreciate rock bottom prices and a lack of government oversight.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Got my Golf in to get fixed yesterday (attempted break-in back in late January that hosed up my lock cylinder and left some scratches) have a rental for the time being; Ford Fiesta SE. Within 2 minutes of driving it all I could think of was "how the gently caress do people drive here in the winter with all-season tires?" Also, the 6-speed automatic is pretty crappy after coming from a DSG

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My parents still drive on all seasons in the winter despite them being considerably more well off then when I was a kid. I think for most people its either they don't have the money or they don't get just how much better winter tires are.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 10, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

1500quidporsche posted:

My parents still drive on all seasons in the winter despite them being considerably more well off then when I was a kid. I think for most people its either they don't have the money or they don't get just how much better winter tires are.
Don't buy into the BIG RUBBER conspiracy :tinfoil:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I am probably going to be arrested next time I am in Taber, which is 2-3 times a week.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/taber-alta-bans-public-swearing-spitting-and-yelling-under-new-bylaw-1.2988992

quote:

It is now illegal to use foul language while out in public in Taber after council passed a bylaw outlawing swearing in the small Alberta town.

The first offence would cost $150, while a second offence could set you back $250 — and that goes for yelling or screaming in public as well.

"I’m in support,” Mayor Henk De Vlieger told the Lethbridge Herald. "I’m not saying this thing is perfect, but I think we should give it a chance and try it out, and let the police work with it. After a period of time, we might make some adjustments, but let's see how it works."

That's not the only new rule turning heads in Taber, population 8,104, according to the 2011 census. It's located about 250 km southeast of Calgary.

The Community Standards Bylaw also includes a $75 fine for spitting in public and a curfew on kids and teenagers from 11 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily.

The bylaw also grants power to peace officers to break up assemblies of three or more people.

"No person shall be a member of the assembly of three or more persons in any public place where a peace officer has reasonable grounds to believe the assembly will disturb the peace of the neighbourhood, and any such person shall disperse as requested by a peace officer," states the bylaw.

It was adopted by Taber town council late last month and was also recommended by the police commission and Taber Police Service.
The Taber police force is pretty much a snowflake in Canada being genuine fully independent force for a small town. They give the vibe of Armpit Arkansas US which run speed traps as pure revenue generation and a way to keep busy and pay for their own upkeep. I see several times a year out of province cars being tossed/stripped out on the side of the highway for god only knows what.

The do have a drug problem in that town though, courtesy of the Mexican Mennonite cartels.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'd be stunned if that swearing bylaw survived a charter challenge. Although I'd be more stunned if anyone ponied up the cash to get a lawyer to fight a charter challenge over a municipal ticket.

I believe the criminal code charge for swearing has already been defeated in court, so this would probably go the same way. And Taber isn't the only small independent police service. There are actually a surprising number of them in western Canada.

Saskatchewan has like 6 agencies with less than 20 officers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pfft. Saskachewan. That's like saying the Zoo has its own police force. It's kind of like an inbred thunderdome there.

I don't think anyone is going to make a charter challenge unless a lawyer wants to go pro bono and use it as a way to make a name for themselves. I'm sure the Mayor and police chief will be fielding calls from all over the world in the next while and probably be given honorary citizenship in Dubai.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My personal favorite is the luseland police department.

luseland is slightlly larger than west edmonton mall

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'd be stunned if that swearing bylaw survived a charter challenge. Although I'd be more stunned if anyone ponied up the cash to get a lawyer to fight a charter challenge over a municipal ticket.

I believe the criminal code charge for swearing has already been defeated in court, so this would probably go the same way. And Taber isn't the only small independent police service. There are actually a surprising number of them in western Canada.

Saskatchewan has like 6 agencies with less than 20 officers.

I know that both Calgary and Edmonton have by-laws about swearing on public transit. I would expect those would get challenged much earlier than Taber.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The swearing thing isn't going to face a charter challenge directly, but that part about breaking up assemblies of people is a big fat flag waving in the face of every ambitious constitutional lawyer in the country.

I give it a week, tops, before we see some spokesman on a soapbox for some group (Atheists is my personal prediction, pick your poison) that deliberately sets out to challenge that free-assembly thing. The police are (presumably) not so dumb that they'll immediately arrest all six neckbeards who show up in front of Taber City Hall (or the local Timmy's), but regardless of whether that bit of stupid local legislation ever gets enforced on anybody over the age of majority, it will go away, quietly or otherwise, pretty soon.

Public transit gets special rules because nobody is forcing you to board a train or bus, and there are all sorts of justifications for maintaining some level of behaviour when you're on or near big vehicles. And being drunk in public is still something cops can pick you up for. But just walking down the sidewalk with three of your friends is not enforceable anywhere in Canada.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

How long until we see some movement to boycott Taber corn over this? Somebody should check reddit.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Taber is in a bit of a situation because there is a crime/drug problem in that town courtesy of a certain minority group (not brown people/islamic) and if they tried to name that specific group as the target they'd be up in arms. It's their way of trying to say it applies to everyone, but it won't.

That said, I don't like the odds of the law being on the books a couple years from now.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well poo poo, didn't make the latest round of job cuts. Maybe I should go back to the dark side and haul fluid.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Didn't make the latest rounds as in didn't survive and you're laid off? Or didn't make as in you're not on the list?

If it's the former sorry to hear it man.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

alberta posted:

Taber

Billy cut his hair last night
The cops said he didn't look right 
For our town
We sell poultry, eggs and meat, but
Your kind don't shop on this street
In our town

And it's a funny thing
It's always been that way
It's never gonna change
I'd say

We'll send money halfway around the world,
But don't you go callin' on the girls
In our town
The job is taken, apartment's gone
Must've forgot to take the sign off the lawn
In our town

And it's a funny thing
It's never gonna change
I'd say

There ain't nothin' wrong with a pretty face
I hope all the girls know their place
In our town
Well, I don't want you to misunderstand but
You can't have a woman takin' work from a man
In our town

And it's a funny thing
It's never gonna change
I'd say

Oh don't judge a book by the cover
Never meant one thing or another
In our town
All the houses look the same
You see, tradition is the name of the game
In our town
Yes it is

And it's a funny thing
It's never gonna change
I'd say

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

jonathan posted:

Well poo poo, didn't make the latest round of job cuts. Maybe I should go back to the dark side and haul fluid.

lovely to hear.

Seems like the job market is pretty dry too, I've been looking at stuff recently and its a bit of a struggle. Best of luck.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It just sucks because I really enjoyed my job and was really good at it. Unfortunately management saw it differently. A majority if the employees break commercial transport laws in order to make extra money and make it easier on management. I refused to run illegal log books or run overweight and got let go. Oh well, time to find an employer that isn't amateur hour.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Sorry, jonathan. I really hope you land on your feet.

slidebite posted:

The do have a drug problem in that town though, courtesy of the Mexican Mennonite cartels.

Which is who this act is apparently pointed at, according to some editorial:

http://www.tabertimes.com/blog/2015/03/11/think-for-yourself-question-authority/

quote:

I’ve heard a lot of people say this bylaw is a tool which law enforcement would like to use in their efforts to curb the big, secret problem in Taber. We all know which one, but do you think I can get someone to say it on the record?

It’s Mennonites.

Nobody will even say the word. I couldn’t tell you how many police, politicians, and public leaders I’ve seen do a little knowing smile and wink when it comes to issues of young Mennonites racing their trucks around town, amassing in huge groups at the Taber Arena or at Wal-Mart, drinking and driving, littering, and harassing local residents.

They speak in code. They say things like “a certain group in town” or “some young people,” and they stop themselves from speaking openly about it because they don’t want to be seen as intolerant in front of the local media.

So, in order to fight their secret war, does the bylaw add some teeth to nightly rounds police make? You bet it does. Again, I’m not saying this is the reason for it, because nobody will tell us for sure.
But it is an interesting coincidence. The group of “we all know who it is but we’re not going to say it” in our community are generally low voters, and tend not to take a big interest in local politics. So maybe there weren’t too many voices speaking up when this bylaw was being built.

quote:

You know who else will not be getting a ticket? Anybody drinking and making a bunch of noise at Cornfest this year. I was in the beer garden all night last year, and it would be easy to hand out a couple hundred tickets. Instant funding for whatever you want, be it 50th Street roadwork or an indoor sports complex.
Oh man this is going to be complicated to explain to any non-Albertan that wanders in here.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If anyone is interested, I've listed my Tacoma in the marketplace thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3515402&pagenumber=12#post442623527

e: Tentatively sold

slidebite fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 12, 2015

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Atleast Taber doesn't have the same problem with minorities that Caroline has.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sorry, jonathan. I really hope you land on your feet.

Financially I am fine, I had some job offers before I even left the work parking lot, but it just kind of through me into a spin because now I have a bunch of avenues to explore and indicision as to what I want to do. Driving heavy things safely is kind of my calling, but it sure would be nice to go to a school and learn to be a pro quality welder and fabricator. But that would only really serve me at home.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

jonathan posted:

Financially I am fine, I had some job offers before I even left the work parking lot, but it just kind of through me into a spin because now I have a bunch of avenues to explore and indicision as to what I want to do. Driving heavy things safely is kind of my calling, but it sure would be nice to go to a school and learn to be a pro quality welder and fabricator. But that would only really serve me at home.

Welders are paid much better than drivers. Get a pressure vessel ticket for something that's not oilfield.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

iv46vi posted:

Welders are paid much better than drivers. Get a pressure vessel ticket for something that's not oilfield.

How are you doing in your new home? I still have to send out the rest of your AISS gift, it's sitting on my coffee table.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

iv46vi posted:

Depends, I wasn't just a driver, I was doing well casing cementing with a crew, so I was paid well. Well enough to not wish for more money. If I get back into fluid hauling or bottles ie liquid nitrogen I could likely do just as well. Some coworkers of my brother made over 170k in 2014.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

iv46vi posted:

underwater Pressure Welding would almost definitely be related to oil in AB (and Sk, BC probably). In fact I would say most vessel work dollar wise is related to capital spending on shiny new big plants versus maintenance work. Keep in mind a few companies have cut capital next year.

Not saying don't go into it just have your eyes open.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

How are you doing in your new home? I still have to send out the rest of your AISS gift, it's sitting on my coffee table.

Surprisingly easy settling in. Got hired the day after showing up in alberta and working nonstop ever since. In pressure vessel related supply and manufacturing. Hope to get a breather and travel the province some this summer.

Most of AB goons seem to be Calgary side, hope you guys have goon meets.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

iv46vi posted:

Most of AB goons seem to be Calgary side, hope you guys have goon meets.
Oh god no

1500quidporsche posted:

Atleast Taber doesn't have the same problem with minorities that Caroline has.
Gay figure skaters?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

slidebite posted:

Gay figure skaters?

Was going for the KKK angle but that works as well.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I honestly thought you meant people who drove cars instead of pickup trucks were the minority.

Speaking of pickups, here's the one I bought on Saturday.

You can make out the name of the company that owned it before. Alert services, I think. Anyone know of them? Rocky Mountain House area supposedly.

First thing I did was try to figure out the CEL code that it was throwing at me as soon as I left the dealer's house, typical. The OBD port wasn't getting power though, checked the fusebox diagram in the manual. Turns out the cigarette lighter and aux power fuses are mislabeled in the book, because someone had circled them. Handy, helped me find the issue way faster. Turns out the code is just an evap leak, phew. Take care of that eventually.

Looks better after a bath and in less harsh lighting, also, doing truck things.

I've driven it to work twice now, very happy with it thus far. Brakes seem good, tranny shifts well, engine runs fine. I think it needs balljoints though, there's a bit of a shudder when I go over bumps. Maybe some other front suspension bits.

But drat man, nice new tires, decent wheels, hardly any rust to speak of, good bedliner, I think I got a pretty good deal.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Nice. 6.0? When's the microsquirt and turbo going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yep, 6.0. I don't really want to mess with it, I just want a reliable hunting vehicle I can take to the mountains with confidence. I'm told these are pretty solid set-ups in stock form.

I've got enough project vehicle on the go as it is :v: