Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

the cards are cute and good but the duels with said deck are really repetitive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Onmi posted:

Aki was built as the Joey of the group, with Black Rose even having Red Eyes stats. Hers was a case that in real life, Black Wings started selling gangbusters for being OP, and since Crow used them they were like "Push Crow!" Ergo, he replaced Aki as the third member of the group.

It's a combination of that and also the fact that around that time Japan had a huge thing going on with cults: basically there was this huge cult that promised people enhanced psychic powers if they gave money to them and they used that money for drug dealing and poo poo and kept women as home slaves, it was a huge thing since the cult was so huge that it involved people in the government and huge corporation leading to tons of arrests across people that basically ran japan and also Carly's voice actress.
All that meant that you don't wanna be seen as the cartoon that has cults in their show when everyone's in panic mode about it, so gotta cut the gently caress out of cults (arcadia movement) and the psychic powers they promise (psychic duelists) which incidentally were 98% of Aki's character.

And thus you avoid parents trying to take the show down by making Aki a high-school themed pair of boobs and give the card playing people what they want by pushing Blackwings even harder.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

everythingWasBees posted:

the cards are cute and good but the duels with said deck are really repetitive

I think that is mostly because he gets like 3 times as many duels as everybody else because Main Character and all.

I don't know where you're up to but if you just had Gongenzaka's first duel you are probably about to enter the worst of it. Yuya's qualifier duels are pretty bad up until his 3rd one but since then he's been getting good duels and constantly changing up his deck.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

AlternateNu posted:

hahahahaha. Upstart Goblin and Secret Barrel are used now? Why is current YGO so dumb?

Upstart Goblin essentially reduces your deck size by three cards, letting you draw into your power cards sooner. There's nothing dumb about that.

No one uses Secret Barrel except AznEyes. He's usually entertaining, but he's not really that great a duelist or deck-builder.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I think that is mostly because he gets like 3 times as many duels as everybody else because Main Character and all.

I don't know where you're up to but if you just had Gongenzaka's first duel you are probably about to enter the worst of it. Yuya's qualifier duels are pretty bad up until his 3rd one but since then he's been getting good duels and constantly changing up his deck.

This. Plus, you should know up front that moreso than the other YGO main protags, a lot of the dueling in Arc-V revolves around how the characters (and their decks) evolve. There really is a lot of characterization for the lead 5 or so characters, and it is mainly expressed by cranking out ridiculous combos and new summoning combinations in their duels.

Yuya's first few duels are repetitive because they're trying to show the audience the different (weird) aspects of pendulum summoning.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

"So we have a new character now. What kind of voice should we give him?"
"Christopher Walken."

This dub has some... interesting voice choices. Also, I'm glad whenever The Chazz gets to look cool. I don't usually like this kind of character but something about him just makes me root for him when he's not being an rear end in a top hat.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm not really sure why but "apparently wind resistance is just a silly myth" loving slayed me.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Don Walken is the best drat character of season 1 of GX. Everything about his duel with Chazz is just perfect.

It's fun to root for Chazz because he's such a great take on the usual, worn out rival trope. He's really not cool. He has a deck full of goofy Ojamas and he's constantly acting completely over the top. He's great. Too bad the manga decides to play him mostly straight and turns him into a boring cliched rival with a deck full of BADASS DRAGONS. The GX manga is great but I really don't like it's take on Chazz.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The anime doesn't handle him any loving better. He doesn't need to be cool, but he also shouldn't be a complete loving joke which is what he becomes. All he is after Season 1 is a jobber for villains and other characters and it's not until the final season that he gets another shot and guess what? Even after his cool stuff happens, he's shafted back to being a nerd again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

basically the best chazz would be inbetween the manga and anime

a guy who's a complete goon but does get his cool moments

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I didn't know that about Aki's character. Talk about bad luck.

Endorph posted:

basically the best chazz would be inbetween the manga and anime

a guy who's a complete goon but does get his cool moments

Ojamas are the perfect archetype for that, because they're goofy as poo poo, but try dropping an Ojama Country or Ojama Delta Hurricane and see who's laughing.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Can someone explain the following situation to me?

My opponent summons Card Car D and I activate fiendish chain on it, negating it's effect. But he could still tribute it to use it's effect and draw a card. Why?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

K. Flaps posted:

Can someone explain the following situation to me?

My opponent summons Card Car D and I activate fiendish chain on it, negating it's effect. But he could still tribute it to use it's effect and draw a card. Why?

The tributing itself is a cost, not an effect. Fiendish chain only negates the effect of face-up monsters on the field and as the cost sends cardcar to the graveyard before its effect resolves fiendish cannot negate it. :eng101:

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
This game is bullshit.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh just you wait until you have one of your carefully laid out plays are ruined by something missing its timing. :allears:

I love this game but god drat are some of its mechanics unnecessarily complicated.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Missing the timing is awful and needs to go.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I hate the timing mechanic so much. :argh:

Packing only counter trap makes my life easier though.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

K. Flaps posted:

This game is bullshit.

Try figuring out inherent summons and why Solemn Judgement/Thunder King Rai-Oh can't stop them. :argh:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

What is the timing mechanic, exactly?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No one loving knows.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Momomo posted:

What is the timing mechanic, exactly?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

No one loving knows.

http://www.yugioh-card.com/de/gameplay/rulings/FastEffectTiming_for_webpage.pdf
http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Missing_the_timing
https://www.reddit.com/r/yugioh/comments/1dlaqv/an_explanation_to_missing_the_timing_and_what_it/

Basically...it's a weird clusterfuck rule that, if it didn't exist..poo poo would break or something.

Also...Xyz Pendulum Monsters are a thing now.

Odd-Eyes Rebellion Dragon
Dark/Dragon/Pendulum
Rank 7
Pendulum Scale: 4
2 Level 7 Dragon-Type Monsters
Pendulum Effect:
Once per turn, if you do not have a card in your other Pendulum Zone: You can place 1 Pendulum Monster from your Deck in your Pendulum Zone.
Monster Effect:
(1) If this card is Xyz Summoned by using an Xyz Monster that is treated as Level 7: Destroy all Level 7 or lower monsters your opponent controls, and if you do inflict damage to your opponent equal to the destroyed monsters' combined ATK.
(2) Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; during this turn, this card can attack a number of times equal to the number of your opponent's monsters destroyed this turn.
(3) If this card leaves the field: You can destroy all cards in your Pendulum Zones, and if you do place this card in your Pendulum Zone.
ATK3000/DEF2500

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

oh that's not as bad as i thought it was gonna be. that seems pretty straightforward actually.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

:stare:

:catstare:

That thing is OBSCENE.
Jesus.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It'll be nerfed for it's release in in the real game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hahaahahahaha, the best archetype for summoning it is Dragon Rulers. I cannot stop laughing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

...my god its perfectly anti-Infernoid.
I just realized that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I dunno, its (1) effect can't be used in any other way than with Creation Magician, and not using it means (2) loses a lot of strength (apart from using cards that wipe the opponent's field anyways). (3) is a must because otherwise you'd have a Pendulum Monster that can't be used as a Scale at all, and then there's no real point to having a Pendulum Effect to begin with. But I don't actually play card games so I might be missing something important here.

I'm confused about how this would work in reality though. Pendulum Monsters are sent to the extra deck upon destruction, would you be able to Pendulum Summon it from there? Only if it was properly Xyz Summoned before? Not at all? God, I never expected a Xyz Pendulum monster.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

You can only pendulum summon face-up monsters from the extra deck.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Am I reading the card effects right in that you can only use 3 if you have pendulum monsters to destroy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well it goes like this.

-Odd eyes Pendulum dragon in p zone, use effect search out Creation.
-odd eyes to extra deck.
-Xyz summon a dragon monster, which is super easy, there are a lot of them in all kinds of ranks.
-Pendulum summon Oddeyes/summon dragon ruler/summon red eyes/whatever.

Use creation's effect and bam there you go.

And there is probably an easier way to summon it as well. Its not like ita a first/second turn nuke, its for when the opponent is in the middle of a set up.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Slightly unrelated, but when do Pendulum cards go to the extra deck, exactly? I know for instance, if an opponent destroys them, but what if you tribute them or use them for Overlay effects?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Momomo posted:

Slightly unrelated, but when do Pendulum cards go to the extra deck, exactly? I know for instance, if an opponent destroys them, but what if you tribute them or use them for Overlay effects?

If they are on the field, they go into the extra deck.
Basically as long as they aren't xyz materials/discarded/milled, they go to the extra deck.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Keep in mind that if something like Dark Law or Macro Cosmos is on the field, Pendulum Monsters will get banished instead of hitting the extra deck.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dexie posted:

Keep in mind that if something like Dark Law or Macro Cosmos is on the field, Pendulum Monsters will get banished instead of hitting the extra deck.

That's still up for debate I believe as Konami hasn't made an official ruling on it yet.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's still up for debate I believe as Konami hasn't made an official ruling on it yet.

They have, actually. Card effects trump game mechanics.

http://ygorganization.com/ocg-071714-rulings/

quote:

Q: If Dimensional Fissure is on the field, will a Pendulum Monster in a Monster Zone be placed face-up in the Extra Deck if it is destroyed?
A: While the effect of Dimensional Fissure is being applied, if a Pendulum Monster in a Monster Zone is destroyed, it will be banished instead of returning to the Extra Deck.

quote:

Q: If Dimensional Fissure is on the field, will a Pendulum Monster in a Pendulum Zone be placed face-up in the Extra Deck if it is destroyed?
A: While the effect of Dimensional Fissure is being applied, if a Pendulum Monster in a Pendulum Zone is destroyed, it will not be banished and will be returned to the Extra Deck, since it is treated as a Spell Card while in a Pendulum Zone.

Dark Fissure is a special case because it specifies monsters, but in the case of Dark Law/Macro Cosmos, they would be banished from either zone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dexie posted:

They have, actually. Card effects trump game mechanics.

http://ygorganization.com/ocg-071714-rulings/

Dark Fissure is a special case because it specifies monsters, but in the case of Dark Law/Macro Cosmos, they would be banished from either zone.

So no Dimensional Fissure fun then. :( Thanks!

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

How can you not like Igknights?

I love this guy in particular.

Holy poo poo this dude looks sweet, what are these Igknights, I've never heard of them.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Wait does a card getting banished prevent effects that occur after you tribute summon. Specifically Cardcar D.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

everythingWasBees posted:

Wait does a card getting banished prevent effects that occur after you tribute summon. Specifically Cardcar D.

I might be wrong but I seem to remember that only applies if the card specifies "tributed and sent to the graveyard" on its effect. So if only says "tribute" you can apply effect even if it will be vanished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

alcharagia posted:

Holy poo poo this dude looks sweet, what are these Igknights, I've never heard of them.

Iglnights are a pendulum normal archetype. Theres a vid somewhere up the thread with a really cool startegy that involves master key beetle and Igknights to essentially dump them all in the extra deck and then summon the best of them when wanted.

And yes grave redirection cards block 'you can send this card to the graveyard' effects, but not tributes and discard costs.