Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gilg
Oct 10, 2002

How well do duel decks play against decks from other duel deck sets?

I've got a few friends who have played Magic before but aren't interested in reinvesting in decks again. I thought about buying 2 or 3 duel decks (4 to 6 total decks) and playing them Swiss style, but I'm not sure how well they work when they're not against their respective rival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

forbidden lesbian posted:

Huh, I totally forgot that card existed, guess they still don't mind White being a little chaotic once in a while.

I feel like this card fits the 'moral outrage' theme of white, like punishing an injustice.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

bhsman posted:

I feel like this card fits the 'moral outrage' theme of white, like punishing an injustice.

Yeah, they aren't just spontaneously unruly for no reason, they're very concerned about the existential threat of monsters overrunning the plane.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Not a fan of this Day 2 coverage. You've actually got a bunch of top level pros playing due to it being a GP, I don't really need to see Andrew Boswell 3 rounds in a row.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bhsman posted:

Yeah that's a pretty good justification, I see it now.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Gilg posted:

I've got a few friends who have played Magic before but aren't interested in reinvesting in decks again. I thought about buying 2 or 3 duel decks (4 to 6 total decks) and playing them Swiss style, but I'm not sure how well they work when they're not against their respective rival.

They are all roughly balanced, with the exception of Phyrexia's deck from PvC (too weak) and the Knights deck from KvD (too strong).

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Gilg posted:

Doesn't always work out well, but it's not terrible to experiment. I think it's interesting which decks stomp which and why. Divine vs Demonic is very weak, Elves vs Goblins is pretty good, Jace vs Vraska has good decks for duel decks, but they are miserable against each other. Out of the last 3 that you can find for MSRP, I'd go with JvV and Elspeth vs Kiora.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
What's going on in this link?

http://sp.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm25711774

What's a DM? Check out @Gfabs5's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Gfabs5/status/574607059259420676?s=09

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 8, 2015

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Direct Message, I'm assuming.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Looks like a dude just providing Japanese commentary of the match. I watched about half and didn't see anything unusual.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I think you need a NicoNico account to access that link. What's it supposed to show?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

qbert posted:

I think you need a NicoNico account to access that link. What's it supposed to show?

Gfab bottom shuffling? I don't know Japanese so I was hoping a goon could verify.

I could be totally wrong on this, just repeating scuttlebutt.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Two mono red decks in the GP top 8, I love this format.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

I think they just said 2 Mono-R decks in the Top 8.

Looks like the archetype still has gas.

Edit: New card

Crater Elemental 2R

R, T, Sac: ~ Deals 4 to target creature.
Formidable - 2R: ~ Has base power 8 until end of turn.

0/6

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
New(?) spoiler from SCG, weird as hell card:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Crater Elemental 2R
R, T: Sacrifice X: X deals4 damage to target creature.

Formidable - 2R: X has base power 8 until end of turn.

this card made me realize i've been thinking that formidable meant you needed one creature with a power of 8, not total from all your creatures. im dumb

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Gilg posted:

print out planeschase planes. We do this, play duel deck planeschase draft. It is the ultimate casual stupid evening when you want to have a couple drinks and gently caress around. Oh man your ahead on board? Oops now we're on Eldrazi-land and everyone gets 7/7 annhilator 1 tokens.

We have 12 or so duel decks, we just pick numbers out of a hat, get 5, you get this deck etc. then we play. Its fun and gets everyone out of their normal "i'm the blue control player" poo poo and just sling some cards.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
What was the other spoiler today?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Niton posted:

So, if you're already winning, you win? Strange card.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Chamale posted:

Literally what Formidable is as a mechanic, win more as gently caress and ferocious is better.

Edit: The entire mechanic feels like it was thrown in at the last second, there are almost no situations where you as a player will have 8 power on the board and you aren't winning. It's bothering me to no end that this is what Temur gets as their new mechanic, it's about as unexciting and situational as Naya's 'mechanic' from shards.

At least Fericous has Stubborn Denial and Crater's Claws, and Wild Slash.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 8, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Chamale posted:

Strange ability word.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I mean... 8 isn't a lot. Formidable seems less like a "win more" mechanic and more like a "hold your position" mechanic. I guess unlike ferocius you can't play a frost elemental and then get some kind of trigger off, but in a weenies/midrange strategy Formidable seems like a way to get over board stalls, or stop an opponent from getting over your board stalls?

EDIT: The only complaint I have is that it fits into too many decks and doesn't encourage an archetype. Short of maybe trumpet blast/overrun cards to turn your 7 goblins into 21 power into 21 power of trample, it's never very exciting board swings...

I'd like to see Surrak as a 4/4 with an anthem effect if your team is formidable.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 8, 2015

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Weirdness of the Formidable ability word aside, I think the card might actually match up well in standard - it's a 6 toughness blocker for 3, and 4 damage to a creature kills a lot of things. I dunno where you'd put it, but it seems pretty strong against aggro strategies.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Niton posted:

Weirdness of the Formidable ability word aside, I think the card might actually match up well in standard - it's a 6 toughness blocker for 3, and 4 damage to a creature kills a lot of things. I dunno where you'd put it, but it seems pretty strong against aggro strategies.

I'd put it in Temur Midrange. But I have better things to be doing on turn 2/3, like casting Knuckleblade or Courser.

6 toughness is relevant but it's on a red creature.

I'll play around with it when the set is released though.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

This card is designed for Legacy and Vintage, where you can activate it while Phyrexian Dreadnoughts sac trigger is on the stack.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It is a really good red control card. I just don't know where or how that will ever be good. So far Formidable should seriously be renamed 'winmore' but it also seems to be essentially free in the budget of the cards. It's sort of like the ferocious trigger on Wild Slash, I guess, is what I'm saying.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Spiderdrake posted:

It is a really good red control card. I just don't know where or how that will ever be good. So far Formidable should seriously be renamed 'winmore' but it also seems to be essentially free in the budget of the cards. It's sort of like the ferocious trigger on Wild Slash, I guess, is what I'm saying.

Wild Slash fericous actually has uses though, like going through protection given by combat tricks. Its basically better shock, and there's nothing ering with that.

This just screams "red control, which will never happen in standard is being supported by wizards of the coast."

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003

Niton posted:

I'm assuming some top jeskai tokens players will figure out a way to break this.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Count Bleck posted:

Wild Slash fericous actually has uses though, like going through protection given by combat tricks. Its basically better shock, and there's nothing ering with that.
Uh, that was my entire point. R buys you a Shock. The ferocious trigger doesn't add to the cost, it doesn't become a sorcery or two mana or whatever.

All the formidable cards seems priced like that.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

This just screams "red control, which will never happen in standard is being supported by wizards of the coast."

Wild slash still will not kill a 1/1 that gets feat of resistance'd. It is still not a legal target as it resolves.

It can make anger of the gods work I guess?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gensuki posted:

Wild slash still will not kill a 1/1 that gets feat of resistance'd. It is still not a legal target as it resolves.

It can make anger of the gods work I guess?

I'm more referring to using wild slash in response to a feat, targetting your opponent/another creature they control so if they blocked and used feat on the blocking creature you blow them out.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Maybe I should a playset of See the Unwritten at a dollar or so assuming there's gonna be huge gently caress off expensive Eldrazi coming up.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 8, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
You know, when Ugin got spoiled we should have all seen that next block was Zendikar considering the whole only exiles Colored Stuff thing.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Weird that the two halves of that card basically don't talk to each other. Like, I would have seen as a better design:

<yada yada>: ~ deals damage equal to its power to target creature

Ferocious- 2R: ~'s base power becomes 4 until end of turn; if you control creatures with power 8 or greater its base power becomes 8 instead

Obviously the templating would need to be cleaned up from what I just wrote but I hope you see what I mean. Also this version lets you activate it once to get 4 and then maybe that turns on ferocious so you can activate it again for 8, but frankly I see that as a cool feature rather than a bug.

And yes, a lot of the mechanics lately are seeming :effort: and I'm pretty sure this is exactly the problem with trying to have 10 new keywords/ability words per block, but I'm not holding my breath for it to change soon.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

You know, when Ugin got spoiled we should have all seen that next block was Zendikar considering the whole only exiles Colored Stuff thing.

It was already a meme when Khans came out to talk as though Return to Zendikar had already been announced.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Any goon trip reports from GP Liverpool? I did horrible in the main event, but did well enough in side events that I picked up more bits for my Modern deck - which I proceeded to pilot well enough to win a draft set of Shards block. Anyone else there who did cool poo poo over the GP weekend?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

It was already a meme when Khans came out to talk as though Return to Zendikar had already been announced.

Really, I didn't see anything like that? course, it was like an entire 5 months ago maybe I'm just forgetting that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Really, I didn't see anything like that? course, it was like an entire 5 months ago maybe I'm just forgetting that.

It's about time for a "return" block and basically nobody would predict anything other than Zendikar at this point, particularly given that the current storyline revolves entirely around Zendikar - so far the key event in Tarkir block is brining Ugin back so he can go to Zendikar.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Really hoping Zendikar brings back the Eldrazi spawn tokens in a big way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

It's about time for a "return" block and basically nobody would predict anything other than Zendikar at this point, particularly given that the current storyline revolves entirely around Zendikar - so far the key event in Tarkir block is brining Ugin back so he can go to Zendikar.

One of the best things about the new block structure is they can do RtZ and still do two new settings in the same year. For me, the two previous Return blocks (not counting Time Spiral, obviously) had the problem that while it was neat to take a peek back at them, it wasn't "I'm happy to have nothing fresh and new for an entire year" levels of neat.

Come to think of it, in the past even the settings that seemed really cool in September had often more than worn out their welcomes by May. Innistrad and Theros, I'm looking at you. Zendikar and Tarkir did it a little bit better by seriously changing things up on the plane in some fashion.

• Locked thread