Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Ras Het posted:

Poetry is trash.

lol at having wrong opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Well you wouldn't be focusing on rhyme there you'd be focusing on alliteration. Seamus Heaney's translation does a decent job of communicating the sound. Didn't a Tolkien translation get published recently?

It's not *that* hard to read Beowulf in the original though, it just takes a week or two of study and some audio recordings to get the sound in your ear.

What really pisses me off? "Translations" of Chaucer. Why not "Translate" Shakespeare while you're at it? Hell, Wordsworth? Walt Whitman?

HWÆT, WE GAR-DEna in geardagum,
þeodcyninga þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas, syððanærest wearð
feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum weorðmyndum þah,
oð þæt him æghwylc ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan; þæt wæs god cyning!
Ðæm eafera wæs æfter cenned
geong in geardum, þone God sende
folce to frofre; fyrenðearfe ongeat,
þe hie ær drugon aldorlease
lange hwile; him þæs Liffrea,
wuldres Wealdend woroldare forgeaf,
Beowulf wæs breme --- blæd wide sprang---
Scyldes eafera Scedelandum in.
Swa sceal geong guma gode gewyrcean,
fromum feohgiftumon fæder bearme,

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

What really pisses me off? "Translations" of Chaucer. Why not "Translate" Shakespeare while you're at it? Hell, Wordsworth? Walt Whitman?

I'm not sure why any of those should piss you off? There are plenty of modern English translations of Shakespeare. The point of these is not as a substitute but as a companion to the original text, because many people find it easier to read original/modern versions side by side than to read the original and stop every two words to look at a footnote. That way you get the meanings but also stay in the flow of the scene. If it helps people learn, what's wrong with it?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Earwicker posted:

I'm not sure why any of those should piss you off? There are plenty of modern English translations of Shakespeare. The point of these is not as a substitute but as a companion to the original text, because many people find it easier to read original/modern versions side by side than to read the original and stop every two words to look at a footnote. That way you get the meanings but also stay in the flow of the scene. If it helps people learn, what's wrong with it?

Because they're used as a substitute for reading the original, instead of as a supplement. If it's a side by side two column deal, that's one thing.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Because they're used as a substitute for reading the original, instead of as a supplement. If it's a side by side two column deal, that's one thing.

I'm with you here. Chaucer is the easiest Middle English to read, and it requires a little adjustment but you can get into the swing of things after a while. And plus half the fun is his seemingly effortless rhythm and rhyme. But there's not a lot of ME the lay reader can read without translation.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Thats like being mad at the concept of a summary because some people read summaries instead of reading the actual books they are supposed to read.

The purpose of modern translations of Chaucer and Shakespeare etc. is to educate, it's not really the fault of the translators if some people use that to be lazy.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

J_RBG posted:

I'm with you here. Chaucer is the easiest Middle English to read, and it requires a little adjustment but you can get into the swing of things after a while. And plus half the fun is his seemingly effortless rhythm and rhyme. But there's not a lot of ME the lay reader can read without translation.

Malory is easier imo

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

What's interesting is to read Chaucer alongside Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. They are roughly contemporary but Chaucer was from London and the author of Gawain was rural. One is part of the English language's direct lineage but the other is almost illegible, despite them ostensibly being the same language.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Smoking Crow posted:

Malory is easier imo

From a linguistic standpoint, sure, but I think his prose is pretty difficult compared with Chaucer's verse. Both great fun, though.

poisonpill posted:

What's interesting is to read Chaucer alongside Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. They are roughly contemporary but Chaucer was from London and the author of Gawain was rural. One is part of the English language's direct lineage but the other is almost illegible, despite them ostensibly being the same language.

While that's true, it's worth bearing in mind that it seems like recent scholarship has shown the author also is trying to purposefully use obscure dialect words and archaisms, so it might well have been difficult for its day. But the contrast could not be more marked. I personally prefer SGGK over anything else in the period. It's the best English verse narrative of all time, and nobody can change my mind. :colbert:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Interesting, I had not heard this. Why do they think so?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Smoking Crow posted:

HWÆT, WE GAR-DEna in geardagum,
þeodcyninga þrym gefrunon,
hu ða æþelingas ellen fremedon!
oft Scyld Scefing sceaþena þreatum,
monegum mægþum meodosetla ofteah,
egsode eorlas, syððanærest wearð
feasceaft funden; he þæs frofre gebad,
weox under wolcnum weorðmyndum þah,
oð þæt him æghwylc ymbsittendra
ofer hronrade hyran scolde,
gomban gyldan; þæt wæs god cyning!
Ðæm eafera wæs æfter cenned
geong in geardum, þone God sende
folce to frofre; fyrenðearfe ongeat,
þe hie ær drugon aldorlease
lange hwile; him þæs Liffrea,
wuldres Wealdend woroldare forgeaf,
Beowulf wæs breme --- blæd wide sprang---
Scyldes eafera Scedelandum in.
Swa sceal geong guma gode gewyrcean,
fromum feohgiftumon fæder bearme,

just give me a week and I got this

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Reading Old English is fun to learn. It's probably a lot easier if you already know some other Germanic language, you can guess the meaning of a lot of the vocab if you know German, Dutch, Frisian or a Nordic language.

poisonpill posted:

Yeah as I recall, the Southern dialect of ME became the prestige dialect after Anglo-Norman fell out of use among the nobility, and gradually became dominant. I forgot the details though.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Smoking Crow posted:

Malory is easier imo

Malory is early modern english, not middle. The spelling is a little weird and the prose dense, but he's v different from Chaucer.

Cf:

Chaucer posted:

WHEN that Aprilis, with his showers swoot
The drought of March hath pierced to the root,
And bathed every vein in such licour,
Of which virtue engender'd is the flower;
When Zephyrus eke with his swoote breath
Inspired hath in every holt and heath...

Malory posted:

It befel in the dayes of Uther Pendragon, when he was Kynge of all Englond and so regned, that there was a myghty duke in Cornewaill that helde warre ageynst hym long tyme, and the duke was called the Duke of Tnyagil.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 7, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

just give me a week and I got this

I realize y'all are giving me poo poo but seriously with a good handbook and some audio tapes you do. The grammar is fundamentally pretty similar and there are only like a few thousand total known Old English words, most of them with modern derivatives, so it's genuinely not that hard. Honestly the most difficult part is learning what letters all the little runes stand for. After that it's a week or so of studying vocab, a few hours of listening to tapes so you have the pronunciations right, and you're golden.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Mar 7, 2015

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
That rich estimation of yours is still an absurd amount of effort considering all of Old English literature is basically Beowulf and The Annual Chronicles of Nicholaeus Dickweede of Plymouth Monastery.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ras Het posted:

That rich estimation of yours is still an absurd amount of effort considering all of Old English literature is basically Beowulf and The Annual Chronicles of Nicholaeus Dickweede of Plymouth Monastery.

Book of Exeter

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
If we're talking Middle English literature, there's always Sir Tristrem, too.

I was at Ertheldoun
With Tomas spak Y thare;
Ther herd Y rede in roune
Who Tristrem gat and bare,
Who was king with croun,
And who him forsterd yare,
And who was bold baroun,
As thair elders ware.
Bi yere
Tomas telles in toun
This aventours as thai ware.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

I realize y'all are giving me poo poo but seriously with a good handbook and some audio tapes you do. The grammar is fundamentally pretty similar and there are only like a few thousand total known Old English words, most of them with modern derivatives, so it's genuinely not that hard. Honestly the most difficult part is learning what letters all the little runes stand for. After that it's a week or so of studying vocab, a few hours of listening to tapes so you have the pronunciations right, and you're golden.

Its just amusing to me because I use Beowulf in my ESL classroom as an example of why English is a stupid language

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its just amusing to me because I use Beowulf in my ESL classroom as an example of why English is a stupid language

How difficult is it for native English speakers to learn German? To you find it harder than French/Italian or is it about the same?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ras Het posted:

Judith? The Wanderer? Dream of the Rood? True you can fit all OE poetry in one book, but it's a great book if you learn the language.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Boatswain posted:

How difficult is it for native English speakers to learn German? To you find it harder than French/Italian or is it about the same?

I don't have a lot of experience with either but its difficult to compare the two because English borrows from romance and germanic languages in different ways so each has its own benefits and difficulties.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I have learned both French and German to some extent and I did not really find one substantially harder than the other. While we have a lot of vocabulary of French origin, we also have a ton of vocabulary of Germanic origin, as well as a lot of Germanic grammar stuff, so German is still pretty easy for an English speaker to figure out once you get the basics of how the language works.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Basic German sounds more like ENglish because the most common words sound the same but after that French is probably easier. Once you get past the present tense in German the grammar becomes entirely different to that of English. French just maintains being a little bit different the whole time.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Hahah so basically my experience is the opposite of what Earwicker said. Ultimately it really depends on how you learn, honestly if you really try and learn either and expose yourself to the language enough you're not going to find one substantially more difficult than the other.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

to be fair I also learned German at a younger age than French and had a close friend who was German at the time so I'd often hear German being spoken when over at his house, that probably made it seem easier

however I do think German verb tenses are easier to deal in with in general than French

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Thank you for your inconclusive answers.

J_RBG posted:

Judith? The Wanderer? Dream of the Rood? True you can fit all OE poetry in one book, but it's a great book if you learn the language.

I love The Ruin which I think should feature in most anthologies. A nice chunk of elegy.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Look, I'm just saying, being able to read & pronounce Middle and Old English got me laid more than once with English majors in college. Also after college. So, you know, fringe benefits.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

End Of Worlds posted:

Look, I'm just saying, being able to read & pronounce Middle and Old English got me laid more than once with English majors in college. Also after college. So, you know, fringe benefits.

The mægþ love it

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

Motto posted:

A question about foreign literature: how important is choice of translation?

This is an unsolved issue I have had regarding Simone de Beauvoir's Le Deuxième Sexe. I had heard that the first English translation wasn't great, it cut out some parts and the translator didn't understand philosophical terms; then an unabridged translation came out and made a bunch of new mistakes instead. Here is one review of the translations (mostly the second one) plus rebuttals, and a review of the reviews. I can see why some people say just learn the original language, it's the best thing to do but can be very hard for some people including myself.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
"just learn the language" is a wayy more feasible proposition for beowulf than it is for, like, in search of lost time

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

End Of Worlds posted:

"just learn the language" is a wayy more feasible proposition for beowulf than it is for, like, in search of lost time

yes but then when you are done reading those texts you'll most likely find that having learned french is quite a bit more useful (for most people) than having learned old english

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 8, 2015

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

lol just read translations you nerds

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

ulvir posted:

Because of this, youu are now not allowed to post in this thread.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

CestMoi posted:

Because of this, youu are now not allowed to post in this thread.

:suezo:

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

ulvir posted:

Well either you learnt Norwegian or you learnt English so you should know how valuable language-ed is :colbert:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

If you are going to learn a language just for ancient texts quit being a bitch and learn Chinese at least

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mel Mudkiper posted:

If you are going to learn a language just for ancient texts quit being a bitch and learn Chinese at least

Yeah, some of those can be funny at least.

quote:

These seduction cases are the hardest of all. There are five conditions that have to be met before you can succeed. First, you have to be as handsome as Pan An. Second, you need a tool as big as a donkey's. Third, you must be as rich as Deng Tong. Fourth, you must be as forbearing as a needle plying through cotton wool. Fifth, you've got to spend time. It can be done only if you meet these five requirements.

Frankly, I think I do. First, while I'm far from a Pan An, I still can get by. Second, I've had a big cock since childhood.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Chinese poetry seems to be awesome from what I've read about it with ideo-/pictographic characters which obviously have amazing potential. However French and German and Italian are more pertinent to me.

Arabic also seem interesting because of the very strong literary tradition w/ interesting historical literary criticism.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i sometimes want to learn chinese so i can read mao and cao cao's poetry

for some reason the notion of these brutal warlords writing beautiful poetry strikes a chord in me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

V. Illych L. posted:

i sometimes want to learn chinese so i can read mao and cao cao's poetry

for some reason the notion of these brutal warlords writing beautiful poetry strikes a chord in me

A few Ottoman sultans wrote poetry, some of it about totally inane state matters, and during one of their many colourful civil wars the warring sultan candidates were sending poetry to each other, basically

Abdulhamid, you wretched hound
Please return Izmir safe and sound