Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Egbert Souse posted:

The restorations of the Apu Trilogy seems to be a huge project, so I'd imagine they want to make sure they're as perfect as possible.
This article popped up in my Google Alerts the other day on why the films have taken so long to make it to Criterion. It also explains why previous prints and home video iterations of the trilogy looked so awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Wes Anderson Criterions are currently 50% off on Amazon. Don't have a link handy, sorry.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Okay, this is a little bit mean.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Egbert Souse posted:

Just to recap, here's stuff Criterion is known to be working on:

There's probably more Wenders in the pipeline.

Wim Wenders Stiftung began 4K digital restorations last year, of which, per MoMA's retrospective, Janus has the American license for at least the following:
The Goalie's Anxiety at the Penalty Kick (with some music substitution)
Alice in the Cities (now on Hulu)
The American Friend
Notebook on Cities and Clothes
Until the End of the World (Director's Cut)
The Left-Handed Woman (directed by Peter Handke and produced by Wenders)

plus Paris, Texas and Tokyo-Ga (included on the Late Spring blu)—though I'm not sure that would precipitate a rerelease of either.

(This year, the Wim Wenders Stiftung is undertaking 4K restorations of Wrong Move and Nick's Film – Lightning over Water, as well as 2K restorations of the shorts Same Player Shoots Again, Police Film, Silver City Revisited, 3 American LP's, Alabama (2000 Light Years), and Reverse Angle. A 4K restoration of Wings of Desire is scheduled for 2016.)

MoMA also claims to be screening new digital restorations (by Wim Wenders Stiftung, courtsey Janus) of Faraway, So Close! and Buena Vista Social Club…but Wim Wenders Stiftung has not actually restored these films. I would guess, but not bet, that Janus is in fact the provider of a restored Buena Vista Social Club, but Faraway, So Close! may still be with Sony.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

STEVIE B 4EVA posted:

There's probably more Wenders in the pipeline.[...]Janus has the American license for at least the following:
Until the End of the World (Director's Cut)
Just saw this today and can confirm there was a Janus logo in front of it, also a gorgeous 4K transfer. There was a little text prologue explaining that there was digital clean-up involved with removing some of the more obvious tape splices.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
No word on Kings of the Road? I just recently watched that one and loved it. But of course The American Friend on Blu would be a must buy for me.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Robert Denby posted:

Just saw this today and can confirm there was a Janus logo in front of it, also a gorgeous 4K transfer. There was a little text prologue explaining that there was digital clean-up involved with removing some of the more obvious tape splices.

Where did you see it? I've been looking everywhere the last few years to see it again. Haven't seen it since it was on cinemax all the time in the early 90s.

STEVIE B 4EVA
Nov 13, 2005

girl in the slayer jacket            i am searching for you

Robert Denby posted:

There was no Janus logo in front of The Left-Handed Woman but they just finished that restoration so that's not necessarily bad news.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Where did you see it?

I'm assuming he meant the actual screening at MoMA.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
:siren: Flash sale alert - Code is SPRING :siren:

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Oh man, I forgot I had a $10 gift cert from when I got my Eraserhead disc replaced.

Just picked up Every Man for Himself & My Winnipeg for $30 + shipping :v:

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Just snagged City Lights, Eraserhead and M, not even having to pay for shipping. Thank you Criterion for adding to my ever expanding list of movies I (will) own that I don't know when I'll get around to watching.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Do shirts and mugs count towards the $50+ level for free shipping? I really just want The Freshman and F for Fake.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

So after blacking out in front of my computer for 15 minutes, I groggily woke up to my $200 cart of:

Time Bandits
Safe
Watership Down
Wild Strawberries
Breathless
The Long Day Closes
Don't Look Now
The Night Porter
Vengeance is Mine
Tootsie

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Hot drat, Don't Look Now is already sold out. Don't wait to place those orders, folks!

e: Time Bandits is out as well.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 10, 2015

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Shipping for 5 blus to Canada is $10 more expensive then B&N, so I'm going to hold off (I'm still going through my last purchase, so I can wait).

When's the next B&N sale expected?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Shipping for 5 blus to Canada is $10 more expensive then B&N, so I'm going to hold off (I'm still going through my last purchase, so I can wait).

Usually July.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Rusty Staub posted:

Oh man, I forgot I had a $10 gift cert from when I got my Eraserhead disc replaced.

Just picked up Every Man for Himself & My Winnipeg for $30 + shipping :v:

I was in the same boat. I finally bit the bullet on It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World. $20 after shipping. Not bad!

I can't remember, did they announce a reprint of The Man Who Fell To Earth? I'm gonna be in a big David Bowie mood around September.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

InterrupterJones posted:

Just snagged City Lights, Eraserhead and M, not even having to pay for shipping. Thank you Criterion for adding to my ever expanding list of movies I (will) own that I don't know when I'll get around to watching.

Ironically, if you fused City Lights and M, Eraserhead is probably what would be made.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Like ComradeCosmonaut said, there's usually a B&N sale in July.

Ever since I started actually making an effort to collect them, I've more or less learned the big sale schedule for half-off Criterions, which is pretty much set in stone by this point. My big buy sprees are in March (first Criterion flash sale), July (first B&N 50% off sale), Sept-Octoberish (second Criterion flash sale), and November (second B&N sale). Lucky for me, November's my birth month, so I always know what to ask for.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Also our Canadian dollar took a poo poo so it's even worse.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Ended up getting:

Y Tu Mama Tambien
Watership Down
Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant
Sword of Doom
Persona
Still Walking
The Magician
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down!

I really wanted to get "Time Bandits" and "Don't Look Now" but I was in the middle of a 9 hour block of classes. :smith:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
June 2015 releases:

The Fisher King
The Bridge
Valerie and Her Week of Wonders
André Gregory & Wallace Shawn: 3 Films (My Dinner With André / Vanya on 42nd Street / A Master Builder)
Five Easy Pieces (standalone re-release)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Is this the German film about child soldiers? That one's a stunner, I'm glad more people will get the chance to see it.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

morestuff posted:

Is this the German film about child soldiers? That one's a stunner, I'm glad more people will get the chance to see it.

Yeah it is, the one from 1959.

As a side note, the Five Easy Pieces standalone has one 'new' special feature, but it was taken from elsewhere in the BBS Box Set so there's no completely new stuff in that release.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Gregory/Shawn box - no desire to see Uncle Vanya again. I really like MDwA but I've seen it enough. Never seen A Master Builder so I'll rent that.

The Bridge - never heard of it, sounds somewhat intriguing. probable rental.

The Fisher King - tried to watch this once, shut it off about three minutes after Robin Williams showed up. will I try again? unlikely

Five Easy Pieces - haven't seen this in like 20 years... certainly not going to buy it, but I probably should give it a second look

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders - I really like this one, but probably not enough to buy it

Some interesting releases, but I can't help thinking about it as another month with no sign of Mulholland Dr or the Apu trilogy.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Eraserhead took, what, three years to actually come out following its announcement? I wouldn't be too surprised if Mulholand Dr. took just as long. Lynch is a fanatic.

e: still a good month from my perspective. I'm fully in for Fisher King and the Shawn/Gregory set.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Mar 16, 2015

Friedpundit
May 6, 2009

Merry Christmas Scary Wormhole!
Valerie and her Week of Wonders ownnnnnssssssssss

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Wow, I didn't imagine Valerie and Her Week of Wonders coming, I'm looking forward to a good remastering of this.

Speaking of this movie, I see in the extras that there are interviews with actors from 2007. When Criterion includes these, are they borrowed from other releases, or are they 'exclusive' interviews that they set on?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Hah, I'm probably the prime target for the Shawn/Gregory box-set but I own Vanya on blu and My Dinner With Andre on DVD and don't think I need the upgrade. Might pick up Master Builder during the next sale though.

Happy to see Five Easy Pieces getting a standalone if it gets more people to see it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Cloks posted:

Hah, I'm probably the prime target for the Shawn/Gregory box-set but I own Vanya on blu and My Dinner With Andre on DVD and don't think I need the upgrade. Might pick up Master Builder during the next sale though.

Happy to see Five Easy Pieces getting a standalone if it gets more people to see it.

Yeah, the Andre Gregory set is a bit lame since I already bought Vanya on blu as well, and it looks like they're still re-releasing Andre as a standalone release.

Still, I'm super jazzed for The Fisher King.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
Good thing I bought the BBS box set for Five Easy Pieces... :tizzy:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The BBS box is the bomb, wait for a sale and get it at not much more than Five Easy Pieces alone at full price.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

I only really bought that box for Head, but was pleasantly surprised by the stuff I hadn't yet seen. Even loving A Safe Place, kind of, i guess.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

FitFortDanga posted:

The Fisher King - tried to watch this once, shut it off about three minutes after Robin Williams showed up. will I try again? unlikely

I think I like this one because I saw it when I was younger, but it's pretty much peak spastic Williams. Since his character is insane, he takes full license to go over the top.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Rusty Staub posted:

I only really bought that box for Head, but was pleasantly surprised by the stuff I hadn't yet seen. Even loving A Safe Place, kind of, i guess.

That movie sucks but I'm so glad it exists just for the stuff with Orson Welles.

DISAPPEAR

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Can anyone explain why some of the B&W films in the collection - such as The Freshman - will randomly be black and yellow or black and blue instead of black and white? It seems like whole reels are shown in different color combinations.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Cloks posted:

Can anyone explain why some of the B&W films in the collection - such as The Freshman - will randomly be black and yellow or black and blue instead of black and white? It seems like whole reels are shown in different color combinations.

Are you talking about tinting? They looooved that back in the day, but it usually was scrubbed from tv and crappy prints, so the Criterion-style restorations are like the only time you encounter it much anymore.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

TrixRabbi posted:

That movie sucks but I'm so glad it exists just for the stuff with Orson Welles.

DISAPPEAR

I completely lost it during the male lead's tearful monologue towards the end where he talks about being deeply affected by seeing a man spill hot coffee on himself in a diner, but he calls the diner a "hamburger store".

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

penismightier posted:

Are you talking about tinting? They looooved that back in the day, but it usually was scrubbed from tv and crappy prints, so the Criterion-style restorations are like the only time you encounter it much anymore.

That's the answer I'm looking for. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Tinting was used since the beginning of film. Part of its use was to give the impression of night with blue tints because film stock was difficult to use in low light. That's why a straight black and white Nosferatu looks odd. It was sort of like shooting day for night.