Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

I do know that and I do use nades to clear the truck and smoke the back left corner (bank, it's called? interesting) but it just isn't tough to defend even when the other team does these things if you can just move a tiny bit when they start nading.

I agree with you, but only in the sense that there's always a CT advantage because they are on defense, which just puts more pressure on the Ts. I don't think that that means every map is CT sided though.

quote:

I'm not here saying the map isn't viable in competition, I just don't see the ebb and flow of the map like I see on "good" competitive maps.

Personally I don't really care for cache or nuke but I'm not going to call them "uncompetitive" or whatever. I think Overpass is as good as any of the comp maps we have right now and no offense, but you haven't made a particularly strong case that it's otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I'm so loving bad at this game. I was decent in 1.5 and 1.6, but I haven't played in years and finally got CSGO. I'm Silver 2 :(

Is there a like goon-get-good support group or something? I'd love to have someone watch me play and tell me what i need to do to not suck.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

invision posted:

I'm so loving bad at this game. I was decent in 1.5 and 1.6, but I haven't played in years and finally got CSGO. I'm Silver 2 :(

Is there a like goon-get-good support group or something? I'd love to have someone watch me play and tell me what i need to do to not suck.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/gogoons

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Daeno posted:

For dust 2 as long as you smoke CT mid and pincer B it's not too bad.

Hah, well, I'll get there eventually, I suppose. I don't see people pincer B in my games, even 5-stacks. I did it for the first time a few days ago and it worked out, but I do have a pretty specific question about it.

I'm assuming that to pincer B you need to send someone through mid(hence the smoke at CT you mentioned) and go in through window/door as your teammates emerge from tunnels. That's what we did, anyway. But in many of my games, there's an AWPer standing between the doors in mid. There's also often someone counter-sniping from T spawn, but it's not exactly uncommon for that guy to get shot and killed 10 seconds into the round. So if my team is already in the tunnel and expecting me to pincer, but there's an AWPer right there, what do I do? Time for plan B, or is there some way to beat the AWPer consistently, assuming he stays right where he is?

edit: Well, I suppose there's always flashbangs. All of these "I don't know how to play this map" questions I end up with seem to reduce to me having to learn to use grenades when I think about them enough, but I haven't even started that project yet.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 8, 2015

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Hah, well, I'll get there eventually, I suppose. I don't see people pincer B in my games, even 5-stacks. I did it for the first time a few days ago and it worked out, but I do have a pretty specific question about it.

I'm assuming that to pincer B you need to send someone through mid(hence the smoke at CT you mentioned) and go in through window/door as your teammates emerge from tunnels. That's what we did, anyway. But in many of my games, there's an AWPer standing between the doors in mid. There's also often someone counter-sniping from T spawn, but it's not exactly uncommon for that guy to get shot and killed 10 seconds into the round. So if my team is already in the tunnel and expecting me to pincer, but there's an AWPer right there, what do I do? Time for plan B, or is there some way to beat the AWPer consistently, assuming he stays right where he is?

You smoke CT out and pop two guys out of mid at the same time to kill whoever is watching mid. It sometimes helps to kill mid guy and then smoke so you can play off of the surprise of doing that. Then yeah, you guys push B at the same time since the guy in B can only watch one place at once. It's pretty effective.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Elman posted:

This is probably a dumb question but is there some way to host an online practice match yourself instead of needing an actual server? I just want to practice grenades and stuff with a friend, we could just use an empty server but then we can't sv_cheats 1.

Form a lobby, set for casual on active duty (or whatever group you want) and private, then the lobby leader can set sv_cheats 1 and whatever else you need. (changelevel to change map, bot_kick to get rid of bots, mp_roundtime_defuse to extend round, etc.) Grenade trajectories will only work for lobby leader, due to a bug, but everything else should be fine.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

down with slavery posted:

I agree with you, but only in the sense that there's always a CT advantage because they are on defense, which just puts more pressure on the Ts. I don't think that that means every map is CT sided though.

Personally I don't really care for cache or nuke but I'm not going to call them "uncompetitive" or whatever. I think Overpass is as good as any of the comp maps we have right now and no offense, but you haven't made a particularly strong case that it's otherwise.

That's fine, it's just an opinion after all.

Have you ever tried playing 3 mid on Cache CT side with a strong rotate? It makes it a lot more fun.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
You don't even have to make a lobby just type 'map de_dust2' into console and it'll do it.

Also there's a sick sick popflash for going mid to B and it owns but I'm phone posting :(

Daeno
May 29, 2007

Found you have to go alone

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

After doing the safe smoke (smoking CT spawn from behind the safety of box in mid), you should have a teammate flash you in (or you flash him in), then rush in together.

If you flash the awper and he's still watching doors he's dead. If he's smart and pulls back after you smoke (as he should) you should still be able to trade him.

If he kills 2 or 3 of you even after you flashed and smoked, sometimes people just hit good shots and you lose the round, poo poo happens.

When you make it up outsite B from mid, that's when your team should be pushing into B site from tunnels, as you both flash in, make sure you don't flash your team (lolmcvey) and it should be an easy take if you are pincering the guy in there with 3 or 4 T's.

Trading is the most important thing as a T taking sites, if you trade 1 for 1 the sites open up a lot and you can often win rounds 2v4 or 3v4 because now the CT's gotta come into your site.

People who yell at you for "baiting" are really dumb, because that's the point as T, you gotta give a little to get entry into those sites.

Barring crazy strategies a lot of standard play in CS really comes down to if the CT can make 2 or 3 kills, or if the Terrorists get into a site clean with no deaths, stuff like that.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

That's fine, it's just an opinion after all.

Have you ever tried playing 3 mid on Cache CT side with a strong rotate? It makes it a lot more fun.

honestly my big problem with cache is that its just way too open for my tastes, long rear end peeks and it's just a bit formulaic. it feels like someone went down a checklist of "what makes a comp map" and once they had all the boxes checked in just said gently caress it and threw some doodads everywhere. fwiw i hate T side way more than CT

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
Someone made a mirrored de_dust2 and it's just as weird as you might imagine

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

people are more hostile in this loving game than in any dota game i have ever played

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

mcvey posted:

You don't even have to make a lobby just type 'map de_dust2' into console and it'll do it.

Also there's a sick sick popflash for going mid to B and it owns but I'm phone posting :(

Is it the one you bounce of the ground and pops just over the wall?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Overpass is good, cache is great, T tunnel to B site d2 loving blows poo poo

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!
The best map is Nuke.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Last two alive: Me and a 25-3 guy with CSGO being the only game on his account. We're both snipers with 45 seconds left, but I don't know what the right strategy for, like, actually killing him is.

"Yes! No! No no fuuuuck :suicide:" is probably not it.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Last two alive: Me and a 25-3 guy with CSGO being the only game on his account. We're both snipers with 45 seconds left, but I don't know what the right strategy for, like, actually killing him is.

It's based on situation mostly but once you hit him and then got him behind the box you shouldn't have kept peeking him. He had to readjust and he's probably going to pre-aim long to cover a good portion of the far side and keep an ear open for a push. You had him behind a box, and knowing its 1v1, you could just work up the side of the wall while aiming the most likely place you'd believe he would be to peek out from. Better chance of that than stepping into a place he's most likely aiming right at. He has advantage in that way.

But in different situations, say you're behind a box or column and can peek out clearly from the left or right side with not much obstruction. In that case if you realllly wan to peek someone it's best imo to peek once, wait literally a whole 2-3 seconds, or estimate the amount of time it would take to run from one end of the cover to the other to do another, different angled peek, and then jump out and peek from the same peek spot. Lotta players do a pattern of peeking from one side and then running to the other than repeeking with a good delay between peeks. If you miss the 2 peeks, you can basically just chill behind cover and check potential flank spots or w/e and wait and repeek and so on. You gotta play with people once they're surprised like how you got the dude behind the box.

Slumpy fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 8, 2015

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Overpass is a good map
hth

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Luigi Thirty posted:

people are more hostile in this loving game than in any dota game i have ever played

You'll get psychoanalyzed like crazy in here if you suggest that the children in this community are something other than justifiably irate with your lack of skill.

Maybe it's YOU. Hahahaha.

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

Luigi Thirty posted:

you can awp through platbox. shoulda just shot him in the head while he was crouched there. but you could have also baited a shot originally then came out with a wide peek to kill him.

Slumpy
Jun 10, 2008

Gristley Bear posted:

you can awp through platbox. shoulda just shot him in the head while he was crouched there

Naw, he has a scout though

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL
did they both have scouts? i can't tell what the gently caress really. watching it now, i have to say that you can pretty much run around with a scout. guy needs to learn to jiggle peek/counter strafe. same with the awp actually. counter strafing is really important with the bolt actions

Gristley Bear fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 8, 2015

J
Jun 10, 2001

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

bring back de_foption

Foption best map. The CTs had a switch they could flip that would kill everyone in the T spawn to stop them from camping it. But if you hit this switch at the end of the round right before the next round started, it would go off anyway and kill the whole T team right at the start of the next round, causing everyone to poo poo their pants and start a witchhunt. You could also plant the bomb while moving in those days, so you could plant it in the missile silo while jumping over the railing so the bomb would fall down a bottomless pit and be undefuseable.

Unused
Aug 29, 2008

:pcgaming:

Luigi Thirty posted:

After he takes any of his shots and whiffs, you can probably run all the way up long here on the left wall, pistol out. there's probably very few awpers that'd repeak here, and you're going to need to be the proactive player in this situation.

This is how i'd have played it, since I hate sniping though.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Daeno posted:

People who yell at you for "baiting" are really dumb, because that's the point as T, you gotta give a little to get entry into those sites.

Baiting is a real thing that bad players do and I think what you're referring to is trading. The key difference between baiters and traders is attitude. Baiters will notice that they're in front and intentionally wait until their teammates pass them and then not follow close enough to secure the trade because they're 1337 frag-hunting cowards. GOOD baiters will run around 'creatively' to make it look like an accident that they somehow wound up behind their teammate. Traders know that they have to put their rear end on the line just like the teammate only a foot in front of them. There's a good chance he or his teammate will die, but it will most likely be his teammate.

But yeah you'll also wind up with idiots who yell 'BAITERS' every time they die first during a take. Those guys are dummies

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Necc0 posted:

Baiting is a real thing that bad players do and I think what you're referring to is trading. The key difference between baiters and traders is attitude. Baiters will notice that they're in front and intentionally wait until their teammates pass them and then not follow close enough to secure the trade because they're 1337 frag-hunting cowards. GOOD baiters will run around 'creatively' to make it look like an accident that they somehow wound up behind their teammate. Traders know that they have to put their rear end on the line just like the teammate only a foot in front of them. There's a good chance he or his teammate will die, but it will most likely be his teammate.

But yeah you'll also wind up with idiots who yell 'BAITERS' every time they die first during a take. Those guys are dummies

this is gotta be the most retarded thing you've posted in a while

baiting and trading are the same thing, using an exposed teammate to get a kill

the only difference is grognards like you call it baiting when newer players don't react quickly enough for your tastes

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

The issue is when you aren't willing to be the one who gets traded.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
I mean yes, a good team will have a balance of people who like to entry frag and those who don't, but just because a player isn't really huge on entry frags doesn't make him a "baiter". I play with people who just don't like to enter sites first, does that make them a baiter?

"baiting" is about as real as the difference between 64 and 128 tick, or the difference between rate 80000 and rate 128000

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS
I guess i'm better than everyone because I have no qualms about being the bait and will gladly run in with my big retard tongue flailing about as my autism triggers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sometimes when I'm playing a guy will walk ahead of me and since we walk at the same speed he gets to the fight first and also usually dies first but I don't think that's my fault.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
In my games I'm usually the main baiter

whether it's intentional or not is another story

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Turk February posted:

I guess i'm better than everyone because I have no qualms about being the bait and will gladly run in with my big retard tongue flailing about as my autism triggers.

:hf: fellow cajones owner

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

What bugs the poo poo out of me is when I go into the site get a kill then get killed and call where the guy who got me is is so my teammates can get him or at least smoke him off and I realise they are all still at the entrance of the site trying to peek and can't see him. A site mirage is the worst first for this. Novalife.txt

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm a very frequent baiter but that's mostly because I don't have a significant other right now :downsrim:

I haven't found any drops yet so trading is another story entirely :downsrim:

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

:hf: fellow cajones owner

actually i think this is just where my suicidal ideas shine through... i might need to seek therapy.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Turk February posted:

actually i think this is just where my suicidal ideas shine through... i might need to seek therapy.

:hf: fellow therapy needer

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I only get mad when someone baits me poorly, tbh. Get the kill or be useful before that, god drat.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

mcvey posted:

when they changed it so you have 3 different ways to throw nades they kinda made it so you can pop flash anywhere, just from lobbing nades in the air. you can pop flash any corner solo now when previously you had to know set flashes or have someone throw them for you.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

the overpass argument is pretty much over but this is my smoke i use all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gristley Bear
May 16, 2007

METAL

I play with people who just don't like to enter sites first, does that make them a baiter?

"baiting" is about as real as the difference between 64 and 128 tick, or the difference between rate 80000 and rate 128000

i agree. my eyes can't tell the difference between 60hz and 144hz either. i think it's because the eyes can only see 30fps

• Locked thread