Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Golden Goat posted:

Why are people putting games they don't want to play on their paterons? Like half the time if the person hates the game the videos suck.

It's actually not his choice, his second patreon reward tier is literally "you guys choose the game I play next". That said, he's the one that designed the patreon rewards in the first place so in a roundabout way he still brought it on himself.

bobjr posted:

Isn't the problem with Minecraft LPs that you just run out of stuff to make videos on? Unless you're really good at building stuff at that game, but after a while it just seems like every minecraft lp turns into "Watch me talk about something else while I walk around collecting basic materials.

Yeah basically, which is why Minecraft is Youtube Superstar fodder. You can make basically infinite episodes of it because the game is so ridiculously open-ended even if the game has an actual, if a bit retarded, ending (see Kurtjmac's Far Lands or Bust series which continues even though the "Far Lands" bug got patched out years ago now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Golden Goat posted:

Why are people putting games they don't want to play on their paterons? Like half the time if the person hates the game the videos suck.

Money.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

bobjr posted:

Isn't the problem with Minecraft LPs that you just run out of stuff to make videos on? Unless you're really good at building stuff at that game, but after a while it just seems like every minecraft lp turns into "Watch me talk about something else while I walk around collecting basic materials.
You are correct. But that does not stop people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4FXocrpMms

For those not dumb enough to click on a youtube link when Minecraft LPs are being discussed. That's an episode number considerably higher than 1000 and it's Minecraft.

IGgy IGsen fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 8, 2015

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Tae posted:

What...how.

He basically pissed off all the mods because he usually spends a quarter of his time streaming complaining about how lovely they are and saying that his chat is toxic because they are bad at their jobs. As an act of protest some of them quit and joined up with the Kojima World Order YouTube people who are dedicated to bringing down DSP and some others basically took over the forums from him like it was the Wounded Knee town hall. Apparently whoever made his site for him didn't give Phil overall control and so the mods locked him out.

A couple DSP mocker videos suggest he went bankrupt in his move last year, which is why he started doing Minecraft in the first place; a quick cash grab.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

CJacobs posted:

(see Kurtjmac's Far Lands or Bust series which continues even though the "Far Lands" bug got patched out years ago now).
On that note, I don't mind Kurt so much, because he used the series to get over some social anxiety he was having. I haven't watched his videos for a long time, but the last time I did, he wasn't been doing it for the big Youtube buxxx either, so that's something.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Yeah basically, which is why Minecraft is Youtube Superstar fodder. You can make basically infinite episodes of it because the game is so ridiculously open-ended even if the game has an actual, if a bit retarded, ending (see Kurtjmac's Far Lands or Bust series which continues even though the "Far Lands" bug got patched out years ago now).

I believe he plays an unpatched version though. I haven't checked it in a while either, but the most I saw happen was the overlay calibration got a bit off and the game seemed to lag a lot more, and I'm pretty sure at the rate he's going it's doubtful he'll ever finish. I think people already know what happens when you get to the Far Lands by cheating anyway, but it seems like a novel idea moreso than one that's interesting to watch.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Nowadays he's doing it to collect money for some charity.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lazyfire posted:

A couple DSP mocker videos suggest he went bankrupt in his move last year, which is why he started doing Minecraft in the first place; a quick cash grab.

If I remember correctly, he moved to some gated community and bought a BMW after he moved as well that he showed off in some video and later on streams etc. complained about not making enough money via YouTube and on Twitch before he got banned from the latter.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Unfunny Poster posted:

If I remember correctly, he moved to some gated community and bought a BMW after he moved as well that he showed off in some video and later on streams etc. complained about not making enough money via YouTube and on Twitch before he got banned from the latter.

Who would have thought that DSP has no sense about money?

When this thread first started I remember there being multiple videos of him complaining that he got fired in 2010 and the job market in Connecticut sucked so his only option for making decent money was full time YouTube. Then he started saying that even if he could find a job he couldn't drive himself due to a back injury (clearly he could sit down all the loving time to play games, so driving was the only good excuse), so he couldn't get to and from an actual job. Now he's bought a BMW and lives in Seattle where you can make what I have to imagine is better money working a minimum wage job than off a declining YouTube channel.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

bobjr posted:

Heavily modded Minecraft can be interesting. I used to watch a guy called Direwolf20 and his videos remained new and interesting even through like 100 episodes. It's just a matter of the base game not having much of what you would consider to be a "game."

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

that he was some huge blob, like that angry Francis guy.

I didn't have a clue who you were talking about, so I went to YouTube and searched "YouTube Francis Blob", and THIS was the third result. So....I assume.......this is the guy you're talking about?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

BMS posted:

I didn't have a clue who you were talking about, so I went to YouTube and searched "YouTube Francis Blob", and THIS was the third result. So....I assume.......this is the guy you're talking about?

I'd just like to say that if Francis is being linked in this thread that this is a must watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1cUup0ATg

Not LP oriented in any way, but just relevant to Francis.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't mind Francis, since he's fake.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
He's cgi like the dog on Frasier.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

judge reinhold posted:

He's cgi like the dog on Frasier.

That wasn't animatronics?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They made Eddie out of tossed salad and scrambled eggs.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Garrand posted:

I'd just like to say that if Francis is being linked in this thread that this is a must watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1cUup0ATg

Not LP oriented in any way, but just relevant to Francis.

Boogie is a super sweet guy. I used to go to the same MTG shop as him while I was in Arkansas and I'm glad he has the success he does, even if I don't really like his videos.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That wasn't animatronics?

I think it's auto... erotica?

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

bobjr posted:

Kind of the opposite really. With mods, custom adventure maps and what have you, you'll always have something to do videos with, so it's a never ending cycle of gently caress.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

judge reinhold posted:

Francis is like the dog on Frasier.

Anybody want to go for a walk?

Given Martin's reaction, there may be more to this comparison that originally thought.....

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!
There's only one dog named Francis for me.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Captain Sheepy posted:

Kind of the opposite really. With mods, custom adventure maps and what have you, you'll always have something to do videos with, so it's a never ending cycle of gently caress.

Have the mods really improved that much? I don't pay that much attention but I never saw any mods that weren't just the same thing in a different package or the same bland combat mods.

Captain Sheepy
Nov 22, 2013

My apologies!

bobjr posted:

Have the mods really improved that much? I don't pay that much attention but I never saw any mods that weren't just the same thing in a different package or the same bland combat mods.

It really doesn't matter, if it's a slight change, it's still technically "new content" meaning that hasn't stopped anyone from making new videos gaining a poo poo ton of views. The more popular Minecraft LP channels are pretty evident of this. The YOGSCast even have it better: you could have a different member do videos of the same mod or map or whatever, and people will watch it even still. Not to bury their name though, they are at least better people and still 10x more watchable than a lot of these other bland, characterless Youtube channels.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

bobjr posted:

I mentioned him a little earlier in the thread but if you're interested in modded Minecraft look up a guy called Direwolf20. He does spotlight videos and his LPs sort of double as tutorials of all the crazy things the mods have become. There's a mod entirely based around apiary, and you can breed like 200 different types of bees, which ties into the tree breeding mod by the same person where the different types of bees allow you to create new species of tree which each have different colored woods which you can cut into tons of different patterns, and honestly that's not even that complicated a mod comparatively.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A guy on another forum I'm on is a Minecraft modder, and many of his off-topic "What's going on with your life?" thread posts have to do with the trials and tribulations of modding. The only thing I've taken away from it is that Minecraft modding is appealing to those who are more than a little spergy. Like, ultimate sperg. "How to make a fusion reactor in Minecraft work like a real one" sperg.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I was under the impression that people who were into that kind of stuff usually went for Dwarf Fortress.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

A guy on another forum I'm on is a Minecraft modder, and many of his off-topic "What's going on with your life?" thread posts have to do with the trials and tribulations of modding. The only thing I've taken away from it is that Minecraft modding is appealing to those who are more than a little spergy. Like, ultimate sperg. "How to make a fusion reactor in Minecraft work like a real one" sperg.

Don't minecraft modders flip their poo poo if their mods are accessed in ways other then clicking on a link that pays them money and when people modify their mod it breaks the game somehow? Iirc there was some minecraft modder who got pissed off that another modder removed some annoying mechanic from his mod so he added in a thing where if that other mod was active you would instantly die or something like that.

Modders have some insanely inflated egos, there was this guy who made an open cities mod for Skyrim that put the loving gates from Oblivion into the game and you had to deal with these gigantic ugly gates randomly strewn about and justified it that "Bethesda would of done that but they didn't have the means (:psyduck:)". A goon made a mod that simply removed the gates and the modder flipped the gently caress out, you'd think the goon did something personal against the guy.The same guy later forced awful voice acting onto the main dragon in the unofficial patch which is otherwise good for fixing stuff Bethesda didn't bother with that thankfully goons patched it out

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Leal posted:

there was some minecraft modder who got pissed off that another modder removed some annoying mechanic from his mod so he added in a thing where if that other mod was active you would instantly die or something like that.
And then it gets immediately patched out by other modders like nothing ever happened, and everyone goes on with their lives.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Leal posted:

Don't minecraft modders flip their poo poo if their mods are accessed in ways other then clicking on a link that pays them money

Not minecraft related but I mod a Cricket forum that has sections for modding Cricket video games and apparently when we first banned adfly and similar links (those are the ones that show you an advert before going to the download page; they aren't too bad if you're hosting things yourself IMO but if they send you to mediafire or something they are very bad) because they annoyed people and we didn't like someone trying to earn cash off of a forum that runs at a loss to the webmasters. Apparently someone threatened to sue the admins because they "ruined his business" - the guy turned out to be a fifteen year old kid in Mumbai...

Some people who make mods have the biggest stick up their arse and annoying them should be mandatory.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Leal posted:

Don't minecraft modders flip their poo poo if their mods are accessed in ways other then clicking on a link that pays them money and when people modify their mod it breaks the game somehow? Iirc there was some minecraft modder who got pissed off that another modder removed some annoying mechanic from his mod so he added in a thing where if that other mod was active you would instantly die or something like that.

Modders have some insanely inflated egos, there was this guy who made an open cities mod for Skyrim that put the loving gates from Oblivion into the game and you had to deal with these gigantic ugly gates randomly strewn about and justified it that "Bethesda would of done that but they didn't have the means (:psyduck:)". A goon made a mod that simply removed the gates and the modder flipped the gently caress out, you'd think the goon did something personal against the guy.The same guy later forced awful voice acting onto the main dragon in the unofficial patch which is otherwise good for fixing stuff Bethesda didn't bother with that thankfully goons patched it out

I'm not a Minecraft player, so I only see what little catches my interest from the outside. But his posts indicated a ton of drama in the modding community about people cutting off access to mods or working on other people's mods without authorization or other bullshit like that. The impression I got was a ton of the worst spergs in modding all finding a game that let them tackle it simultaneously, with the ensuing conflicting personalities hitting.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm not a Minecraft player, so I only see what little catches my interest from the outside. But his posts indicated a ton of drama in the modding community about people cutting off access to mods or working on other people's mods without authorization or other bullshit like that. The impression I got was a ton of the worst spergs in modding all finding a game that let them tackle it simultaneously, with the ensuing conflicting personalities hitting.

There's got to be some kind of potential goldmine for a goonswarm going onto the Minecraft forums and just altering any mod that can be found and releasing it in the same thread. I've only played about an hour or two of Minecraft back when it was in Alpha, and then after the final release or whatever, so how hard is it to actually mod a mod?

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

BMS posted:

There's got to be some kind of potential goldmine for a goonswarm going onto the Minecraft forums and just altering any mod that can be found and releasing it in the same thread. I've only played about an hour or two of Minecraft back when it was in Alpha, and then after the final release or whatever, so how hard is it to actually mod a mod?

I'm pretty sure this has already happened with the Technic pack. Except there were no mod alterations, just packaging mods up for user convenience, which is absolutely abhorrent and terrible and awful and at least one mod author put code in to detect modpack usage. If it did, there'd be a message about "taking certain sanctions" or words to that effect and it'd wipe the player's world.

The Minecraft modding scene is somehow more bitter and caustic than the Nexus, or at least was. I think it chased out everyone who cared into their own fractured little subcommunities, but I haven't paid a great deal attention, I'm probably a year out of date on this.

The amount of bile and rage was created by just collecting mods together. If any mods actually got altered I think there could have been fatal casualties.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Cirrial posted:

The amount of bile and rage was created by just collecting mods together. If any mods actually got altered I think there could have been fatal casualties.

We gotta get this done. Contact YOSPOS immediately.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cirrial posted:

I'm pretty sure this has already happened with the Technic pack. Except there were no mod alterations, just packaging mods up for user convenience,

I think that was what I was thinking of, someone packaged other people's mods for convenience sake and someone got pissed off and coded a thing that would gently caress over your game if you used that mod pack because people would download the mod pack and not that specific mod so the guy couldn't get that adfly money.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Leal posted:

I think that was what I was thinking of, someone packaged other people's mods for convenience sake and someone got pissed off and coded a thing that would gently caress over your game if you used that mod pack because people would download the mod pack and not that specific mod so the guy couldn't get that adfly money.

I think that would make me want to do the exact opposite of downloading someone's mod if I discovered that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I don't wanna seem like I'm trying to shepherd this topic out of the thread but there's a thread all about mods good or bad and you'll be able to get info on modder drama way easier from there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3514513

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
There's also the second post of the MC modding thread. It may be out of date, but there's still a good selection of the choicest bits of drama.

For example, there was a fun period a while back where some modders vehemently disagreed with putting their mod in a modpack without permission, leading to things like this in response to a goonmade modpack:

Things have generally calmed down on the individual modder standpoint, but there's still the occasional bit that pops up every now and then.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
They way you guys hyped up the sanctions I almost expected the message to be a bit more threatening sounding. Something along the lines of "You will experience certain......Sanctions"

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jesus. Didn't the US send a similar message to Iran?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

eh.... 2....

• Locked thread