Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

The point of them is that forcibly merging two states in any way is already going draw just as much pushback as completely abandoning current state borders, both legislatively and even constitutional. So given the fact you'd need massive support to do it, why wouldn't you go full speed ahead and do things attempt to eliminate all cross-state-lines metro areas by turning them into single state areas, massively adjust borders to ensure more equal population distribution (admittedly the 38 state one chopping up Alaska into two states fucks that up), and so on?

Because creating states out of other states (either merging, or cutting part out) requires the consent of each affected state as well as Congress. So Delaware and Wyoming and all other tiny states can keep mashing Betray and refuse to be incorporated into larger states which would dilute their voting power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

evilweasel posted:

Because creating states out of other states (either merging, or cutting part out) requires the consent of each affected state as well as Congress. So Delaware and Wyoming and all other tiny states can keep mashing Betray and refuse to be incorporated into larger states which would dilute their voting power.

This is equally true of any attempt to make states fake-merge for shared senators and the like though. Only you'd also need to get a constitutional amendment first and that'd be even harder.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is equally true of any attempt to make states fake-merge for shared senators and the like though. Only you'd also need to get a constitutional amendment first and that'd be even harder.

Your plan requires the consent of every state, which is 12 states harder than a constitutional amendment.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

evilweasel posted:

Your plan requires the consent of every state, which is 12 states harder than a constitutional amendment.

In order for the share-senators plan to be meaningful you need every state onboard as well.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Nintendo Kid posted:

In order for the share-senators plan to be meaningful you need every state onboard as well.

It's a dumb plan but it is a dumb plan doable by two constitutional amendments, which is less hard than every single state.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

evilweasel posted:

It's a dumb plan but it is a dumb plan doable by two constitutional amendments, which is less hard than every single state.

It's doable with two constitutional amendments and every single state participating because if states do not participate they get more power that way. Versus states to be merged "normally" requiring every state's participation and no amendments.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

evilweasel posted:

Two amendments plus a SCOTUS win.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Two amendments plus a SCOTUS win.

Don't see where you'd need that, the amendments can't really be challenged in SCOTUS. Unless you mean to force any states that didn't want to join up.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

funtax posted:

Yes, but could she - or ANYONE - stand against the juggernaut of a potential Ben Carson Senatorial run?

Oh, who am I kidding? It's going to be O'Malley v. Ehrlich V: THE RE-RECKONINGING.

I want a Steele-Carson primary. CHAOS BREAKIN OUT IN B-TOWN! CHESAPEAKE WATERSHED, CHEDDA BREAD! PROTECT OUR BIBBLES!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Nintendo Kid posted:

Don't see where you'd need that, the amendments can't really be challenged in SCOTUS. Unless you mean to force any states that didn't want to join up.

You'd have a state filing a case arguing that a repeal of the "equal suffrage" restriction on amendment subject matter counts as, itself, an "equal suffrage"-related amendment and thus subject to a unanimous ratification process before taking effect.

The state would have standing (their rights are arguably infringed) and could make the filing as soon as it "illegally" was adopted at the 2/3rds mark rather than the 100% mark. And it's not like SCOTUS hasn't taken cases relating to the ratification process before.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Mayor of Baltimore, Stephanie Rawlings-Blake (D) will consider running for the open Senate seat, announcing in the next several weeks.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Add Rep. Chris Van Hollen to the list of likely Maryland Senate candidates.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

easily my preferred candidate, as it opens up the seat in the district where I live for me to run :getin:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

In a 5-4 decision the court finds the 22nd amendment unconstitutional and all elections after 2004 invalid.

"But we just wanted a ruling on medical marijuana! :gonk:"

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Per the NYT, O'Malley will not be running for Mikulski's seat.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Bibbles up, Hos Down! Steele 2016.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ben Carson also announced that he won't run for the MD Senate seat, in case anyone cares (you shouldn't).

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Russ Feingold is leaving the State Dept to return to WI and will take a listening tour of the state once he does, while occasionally teaching some at Stanford Law. Per his FB.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

De Nomolos posted:

Russ Feingold is leaving the State Dept to return to WI and will take a listening tour of the state once he does, while occasionally teaching some at Stanford Law. Per his FB.

Rematch of the decade coming up

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum posted:

He's now officially declared his candidacy.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
e: wrongo

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

He's now officially declared his candidacy.

Who will take his place in the House?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
MIGF time to put up or shut up and run my campaign to replace him

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

My Imaginary GF posted:

Who will take his place in the House?

Chris Matthews' wife.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

“Hey, there she is — it’s her,” he said, staring at his wife on the screen. “It’s her.”

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Joementum posted:

Chris Matthews' wife.

Speaking of how did Greenspan bag someone 20 years his junior after notably bagging Ayn Rand

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mooyashi posted:

Speaking of how did Greenspan bag someone 20 years his junior after notably bagging Ayn Rand

See also: Henry Kissinger

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
An NBC reporter was jogging today on the National Harbor shore and spotted Donna Edwards taping a produced statement with a prompter. Her office won't comment on the substance but says she will make her decision about the Maryland Senate race "in the coming days".

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Joementum posted:

Chris Matthews' wife.

I'm like 50/50 on running, no joke

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

An NBC reporter was jogging today on the National Harbor shore and spotted Donna Edwards taping a produced statement with a prompter. Her office won't comment on the substance but says she will make her decision about the Maryland Senate race "in the coming days".

Who's Donna Edwards again, and how much of a trainwreck should be expected while Van Hollen crushes everyone?

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I'm like 50/50 on running, no joke

Do it but for god's sakes don't mention it here

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

My Imaginary GF posted:

Who's Donna Edwards again, and how much of a trainwreck should be expected while Van Hollen crushes everyone?

I thought Donna Edwards was running for Van HOllen's seat?

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

I thought Donna Edwards was running for Van HOllen's seat?

Donna Edwards already has a House seat (MD-04). You may be thinking of Kathleen Matthews, wife of Chris Matthews.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

My Imaginary GF posted:

Probably the first PCCC candidate. Primaried a pro-Iraq War AA Dem in 2008(?) in a seat based in PG County. She fits a demo unrepresented in the current Senate as a black female and has always had strong support from the same people who later drafted Warren for Senate.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

De Nomolos posted:

Probably the first PCCC candidate.

Yup. The PCCC and DFA started sending out "Draft Edwards" alerts about three seconds after Mikulski announced her retirement.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Edwards would be a good Senator, but I don't see her getting much traction since Van Hollen is with her on 99.9% of the issues, but he is white, handsome, and has more connections / money / experience.

Van Hollen will end up a pretty good liberal Senator who mostly flies under the radar, except for one or two big issues. i.e. Udall, Heinrich, or Wyden.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FFS. Go away already, Charlie.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Yeah, how dare he lose a gubernatorial election in a closely divided state by a point in a massively Republican year!

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, there's also that failed Senate run in 2010, in which Dems split their votes between the indy (Crist) and the Dem who won the primary, thus handing the race to the GOP. But yeah, let's go to bat again for the warmed-over failure who changes parties more often than his hairstyle, because third time will definitely be the charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Christ had no excuse for losing the governor's election in 2014. Might have been a midterm, but Voldemort was unpopular as all hell as well.

• Locked thread