Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It sort of has its own mythology, really. Marley's punishment is very specific, and the ghosts all have very specific manifestations that reference (intentionally or not) myths that are older than Jesus. I think it's still grounded in Christian thinking, but for some reason, the little Christmas books were all the ones in which Dickens decided he was making up his own fantasy magic with all of its own rules. Both The Chimes and The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain have similarly weird stuff going on, although both are a little bit more overtly Christian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm honestly not fond of A Christmas Carol outside of the Muppets version. It does seem kind of pat and inauthentic to me. THIS EPISODE INCLUDED.
Reading the reviews, I'm reminded that I actually really didn't like this? Especially the Girl in the Refrigerator. That poo poo seems like it might be romantic only to the kind of people that also think "Every Breath You Take" is a sweet romantic song, or that the main couple on Scandal have a BEAUTIFUL TRUE LOVE.
It's gross, and dumb. Also it bothered me that Amy and Rory barely did anything in the episode.
And the Doctor's actions really did seem grossly invasive, even if necessary to save lives. I guess it's in keeping with Eleven's character, who has even more of a god complex than Ten, but minus a lot of the angst about it.
Honestly Occ should've given it a C, the review kind of read like an AV Club C- (if the AV Club had a policy of hiring mental patients).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I hate A Christmas Carol, not because it's bad, but because I'm so loving tired of it. I think it may actually be punishable by execution if a television show doesn't do an episode aping it. I liked this episode okay, though, which says a lot since this is probably the most recent adaptation of it I've seen.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Bicyclops posted:

It sort of has its own mythology, really. Marley's punishment is very specific, and the ghosts all have very specific manifestations that reference (intentionally or not) myths that are older than Jesus. I think it's still grounded in Christian thinking, but for some reason, the little Christmas books were all the ones in which Dickens decided he was making up his own fantasy magic with all of its own rules. Both The Chimes and The Haunted Man and the Ghost's Bargain have similarly weird stuff going on, although both are a little bit more overtly Christian.

allthough apparently the Ghost of Christmas Past was so vaguely defined in the books that the artist didnt even bother to illustrate it

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Toxxupation posted:

A MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL IS THE BEST VERSION OF A CHRISTMAS CAROL, MICHAEL CAINE IS CANON EBENEEZER SCROOGE gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Two of my cousins played Scrooge in that!

(None of my cousins are Michael Caine.)

No I haven't been waiting for you to get to this episode just so I might be able to find a good enough reason to post this shut up.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 8, 2015

JoltSpree
Jul 19, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

A MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL IS THE BEST VERSION OF A CHRISTMAS CAROL, MICHAEL CAINE IS CANON EBENEEZER SCROOGE gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I'm a grown-rear end man and I've been watching this movie every year around Christmas since I was four years old hell yeah it's the best Christmas Carol ever made.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I submit the James Carrey 2009 Christmas Carol to be the worst adaptation.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

No amount of words can do justice to how bad it is.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Everyone knows the best Christmas Carol version is the Disney with Mickey Mouse as Cratchitt, Goofy has Jacob Marley and Scrooge as...Scrooge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BifeO1mGaU

Who doesn't like this part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cn4VuODI4c

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 8, 2015

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

The worst thing about that one is how much of it you can tell was made specifically for 3-D gimmicks. There's all this sliding around where he stops short right into the screen and it lacks subtlety at all.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I like whichever one had the Martin van Buren lookalike as Scrooge.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
A Christmas Carol will always hold a special place in my heart... because in the school play I was Scrooge. And I won that year's Drama Cup! :toot:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My "why it's Christmas day!" boy won me more merit than my Tiny Tim, because I did it just after Home Alone came out and looked like Macauley Culkin, so when I said "A half a crown?!" i did that thing where he slaps his face and screams before running off the stage. This was probably the highlight of my decade or so doing theater and I am okay with that.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

This thread is reminding me that it's been far too long since I've seen Muppet Christmas Carol and, indeed, too long since I've read the original.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

computer parts posted:

I like whichever one had the Martin van Buren lookalike as Scrooge.

I believe you're referring to the great George C. Scott? He's become one of my favorite actors in the last few years, and I peg him as best Scrooge.

Kurtofan posted:

Everyone knows the best Christmas Carol version is the Disney with Mickey Mouse as Cratchitt, Goofy has Jacob Marley and Scrooge as...Scrooge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BifeO1mGaU

Who doesn't like this part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cn4VuODI4c

I have a couple major problems with that one. One, when the Ghost of Christmas Future takes off his hood, revealing it's Pete, and laughing. "Why it's yours, Ebenezer!" It doesn't fit. The ghosts are harsh and scary, but they're not malevolent. They're trying to scare Scrooge straight, so Future shouldn't be enjoying himself so much. Two, why on earth did they cast Goofy as Marley? The sweetest, most innocent character in the Disney canon, and they cast him as a greedy, selfish businessman? I just don't buy it. The obvious solution is that Pete should have been Jacob Marley and future should have remained anonymous. Or, if you really need Goofy in there, have him as Future, but just a silhouette and no talking.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Having the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come speak in any way is a war crime.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
That Disney special was my only exposure to that story in my childhood so all of you Dickens-worshipping losers rattling your chains about lost nuance and improper ghost characterization can suck iiiiit

Also Scrooge's performance in the Muppet Special was wooden and uninteresting

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Your Dickens desert is no excuse for your poor taste, you weasel!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Oxxidation posted:

My man.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Oxxidation posted:

you fuckin' disgust me

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Eh, I like the Patrick Stewart version, particularly in the live stage show.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Oxxidation posted:

eat poo poo and die

jng2058 posted:

Eh, I like the Patrick Stewart version, particularly in the live stage show.

i saw that as a little kid!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

yo DW get in irc, we have to hun mon

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

jesus loving christ amy just shot a loving kid

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
She's playing monhun as well, and when you think about it isn't a child the ultimate monster?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

It begins :kheldragar:

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 9, 2015

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Toxxupation posted:

Kid shouldn't have stepped to her then :colbert:

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

:allears:

This is going to be great.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Toxxupation posted:

This is 'Murican Doctor Who!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

adhuin posted:

This is 'Murican Doctor Who!

Doctor, bluffing: "You think you can just shoot me?"
River: "They're Americans!"
Doctor: "Don't shoot me!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MikeJF posted:

Doctor, bluffing: "You think you can just shoot me?"
River: "They're Americans!"
Doctor: "Don't shoot me!"

River: "He's interacted with his own past, it could rip a hole in the universe."
Amy: "He's done it before."
Rory: "And in fairness the universe did blow up."

Rory is so great. I'm glad he's not dead.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

"Why would anyone want to trap us?"
"Lets see if someone tries to kill us and work backwards"

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

A Christmas Carol

It's Christmas in March so lets celebrate the festive period with loads of people guessing an A. This is one of the more popular episodes. with 46 guesses out of 69 entrants. Very nice!

A
BSam
MrlJakiri
Diabolik900
ewe2
Regy Rusty
Xenoborg
Gandalf21
Colonel Cool
Random Stranger
And More
adhuin
jng2058
Lipset and Rock On
???2
Bunnita
AndwhatIseeisme
Blasmeister
Hannibal Smith
WeirdSandwich
Bown
Lager
???
cool kids inc.
Stobbit
Roach Warehouse
Keisse J
PurpleJesus
Mo0
BlueGhostie
egon_beeblebrox
M_Gargantua
Kevin07
Notatwat
Pinwiz11
Moatmonster
Beefytaco
Ohtsam
Capfalcon
Big Mean Jerk
howe_sam
CardinalBiggles
Proposition Joe
Kaza42
ThePariah
Jurgan
legoman727

B
Attitude Indicator
idonotlikepeas
Angela Christine
Senario
Well Manicured Man
Go RV!
death .cab for qt
MikeJF
Dave Brookshaw
Paul.Power
LabyMynora
Bobulus
2house2fly
DetoxP
NeuroticLich
thexerox123

C
cargohills
John Charity Spring
Organza Quiz
fatherboxx
Jsor

D
mycelia

F
ThNextGreenLantern

This gives the first scores as

Attitude Indicator 0
idonotlikepeas 0
Angelia Christine 0
Senario 0
Well Manicured Man 0
Go RV! 0
death .cab for qt 0
MikeJF 0
Dave Brookshaw 0
Paul Power 0
LabyMynora 0
Bobulus 0
2house2fly 0
DetoxP 0
NeuroticLich 0
thexerox123 0
BSam 1
MrlJakiri 1
Diabolik900 1
cargohills 1
ewe2 1
Regy Rusty 1
Xenoborg 1
Gandalf21 1
Colonel Cool 1
John Charity Spring 1
Random Stranger 1
Organza Quiz 1
And More 1
adhuin 1
jng2058 1
Lipset and Rock On 1
??? 1
Bunnita 1
Andwhatiseeisme 1
Blasmeister 1
Hannibal Smith 1
WeirdSandwich 1
Bown 1
Lager 1
??? 1
cool kids inc. 1
Stobbit 1
Roach Warehouse 1
Keisse J 1
PurpleJesus 1
Mo0 1
BlueGhostie 1
egon_beeblebrox 1
M_Gargantua 1
Kevin07 1
Notatwat 1
fatherbox 1
Pinwiz11 1
Moatmonster 1
Beefytaco 1
Ohtsam 1
Jsor 1
Capfalcon 1
Big Mean Jerk 1
howe_sam 1
CardinalBiggles 1
Proposition Joe 1
Kaza42 1
PrisonWarden 1
ThePariah 1
Jurgen 1
legoman727 1
mycelia 2
ThNextGreenLantern 4

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

:smug:

Not last this time fuckers

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Oh god. I just looked over the list of episodes this season. Thread rules prohibit discussion, but oh man am I looking forward to almost all these reviews.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I forgot this episode was so early on in this series.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Uh oh, not seeing myself up there. I sent an e-mail with my votes in and forgot to include my forum name, but I sent a follow-up when you mentioned it in the thread. Should I send another one?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Space and Time were aired between Christmas Carol and the start of season 6 I believe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uStWeeEVQAc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXy-dMJ-gkw

Starting from here the show has a lot of prequels and mini-episodes scattered throughout it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Those two were pretty meh, though.

There was also an online prologue to The Impossible Astronaut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvvvlssoVk0

Some redditor has made a linked list of all of the minisodes and where they come. Spoilers for episode titles, I guess. And they include the non-canon and fourth-wall breaking ones.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 10, 2015

• Locked thread