Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Funny how the best enchantments came in the block after Theros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Both of them have Whisperwood out early. :suicide:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

One Elemental, one Lion, mana dorks, versus Elemental, mana dorks. GW mirror!

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
At least Daniel drew the Sabertooth. It's the best we're gonna get for a G1 mirror breaker.

Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008
Aaaand this is why white and green are my least favorite colors...

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Actually Sabertooth is kind of cool because he can bounce something like a manifested Nykthos or G. Hydra to his hand and then play it.

Edit: And right when I said it he did it!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Patrick Sullivan already sounds like he's on the edge of snapping.

I feel bad for finding this so hilarious.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Kyrosiris posted:

Schadenfreude is just as essental a part of a healthy mentality as empathy is. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

I don't, this is what standard deserves

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh good, I got back from dinner in time for the finals. And would have gotten back in time to see them if I had waited 2 hours.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
If this deck doesn't have a solution every deck can play, something's getting banned because it would be disastrous for the game.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Wizards R&D:
Hey guys, let's put incidental life gain on everything. Everything.

Nice format, idiots.

Angry Grimace posted:

If this deck doesn't have a solution every deck can play, something's getting banned because it would be disastrous for the game.

Perilous Vault.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Real tech for the mirror is Grindclock.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

forbidden lesbian posted:

oh good, I got back from dinner in time for the finals. And would have gotten back in time to see them if I had waited 2 hours.

Cecchetti is probably a few turns away from winning. He's setting up a giant Polukranos monstrous to wipe.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Angry Grimace posted:

What would be banworthy at this point? Mastery seems fine since you have to pay mana to manafest, whereas Whisperwood just sits and makes dudes for free.

Alternatively, Nykthos?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Somehow control is going to be blamed for this state of affairs yet again.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Chill la Chill posted:

Somehow control is going to be blamed for this state of affairs yet again.

never heard of it

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Over/under on Game 2 just being Baumeister being mana-screwed and Cecchetti winning with Elvish Mystic Aggro?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Holy poo poo I'd rather play Caw Blade mirrors forever than watch this awful match.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bhsman posted:

What would be banworthy at this point? Mastery seems fine since you have to pay mana to manafest, whereas Whisperwood just sits and makes dudes for free.

Alternatively, Nykthos?

Nykthos is probably the card.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

Wild Slash fericous actually has uses though, like going through protection given by combat tricks. Its basically better shock, and there's nothing ering with that.

This just screams "red control, which will never happen in standard is being supported by wizards of the coast."

This screams to me "give Mono R a creature to block Rhinos early and potentially kill them if you can build a board presence"

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
So now that creatures are on the verge of ruining magic, do we get a New New World Order™?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

MiddleEastBeast posted:

So now that creatures are on the verge of ruining magic, do we get a New New World Order™?

New players like to play with creatures, so no.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

New players like to play with creatures, so no.

Why does it have to be an either-or thing

I hopped in liking both

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Hey guys, news came in! Me and my wife are having a kid, she's two weeks pregnant. The doctors expect her to give birth by the middle of game 2.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

Isn't it actually a land and an enchantment that caused this terrible mirror to happen though?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

TheKingofSprings posted:

Why does it have to be an either-or thing

I hopped in liking both

I don't know why the designers dislike combo. The cards that are typically good in control are very feelbad, basically anything that stabilizes them versus aggro decks.

Midrange is always going to be very good against aggro and without decks that go over the top it will be very prevalent. I think going over the top is going to mean "midrange decks that can cast really expensive stuff" for awhile though. At least until Nykthos is gone. Then I dunno.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Isn't it actually a land and an enchantment that caused this terrible mirror to happen though?

Kind of. The fact that the thing that typically preys on this type of deck isn't really prevalent allows you to dick around with an enchantment and a bunch of permanents on board to make that land work well.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Cecchetti's sideboard looks built to beat the mirror. The man came prepared.

Edit: I really hope to see a turn where he bounces and recasts Hornet Queen 5 times.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Samael posted:

Trip Report- First ever Sealed REL event and the time to make the deck goes really fast! Hastily constructed a reasonably okay abzan deck with tasigur and a lot of warriors and a chief of the scales. Looking back, my red was way stronger than I thought and I should have probably gone jund.

Went to time 2 games out of the 6 I played, going 3-2-1 and drop for side events, the dream died pretty quickly when I realized I was packing like 3 removal spells in the deck (1 abzan charm, 1 harsh sustenance and 1 deb injury) and the stalemates generally ended when their bomb turned up (My rares in my pool was tasigur, trap essence, monastery siege, temporal trespass, trail of mystery and something else not in my colours) and I didn't have a answer to it.

Later on played 2 chaos drafts, both polar opposites to each other, the first one I won with an absolute pile of cards featuring skullclamp (thank you darksteel pack) and proceeded to use the 160 prize points on 16 khans boosters which I will keep for later. £13 for a draft and 16 packs, not bad.

The second chaos draft I had to drop after drafting because I suddenly realized my channel fireball bag got stolen in between drafts :negative: went to lost and found and they didn't have it and it pretty much ruined my weekend. No GP promo now :/ Managed to get the CFB tokens off a friend as a gesture of kindness though, which was nice of them.

Sunday morning I went to the vendors and finished off my Kangee foil EDH deck and my Maelstrom Wanderer EDH deck and then proceeded to get home before the rush, got home a few hours later. Overall the experience was great but definitely stained by some absolute assholes, both playing against and the ones who stole my stuff.
Shame about your stuff going missing - I kept all my stuff in my bag and right besides me all weekend, although that's more because I don't trust myself remembering to pick something up if I leave it out. I also did a chaos draft Saturday evening, funnily enough one of our drafters left after drafting never to be seen again - you weren't sitting at a corner seat and opening P1P1 Worldwake, were you? Because you might have been in my draft pod of that was the case! We all thought that person must have opened a Jace and ran off to sell it or something.

On that note, I came across a distressing number of assholes in the 2 chaos drafts I did over the weekend - draft #1 had several Greek guys who all had lovely attitudes and were really unpleasant to play against, and it was really satisfying to beat two of them in the Semi and the Final at the end. Draft #2 had a guy to my right who told me "We need to draft at a reasonable pace" in a completely :goonsay: way after I was passed a pack of Apocolypse that was in a foreign language when I asked if anyone nearby could help me with translating some of the cards (I spotted a Jilt, but wanted to be certain before picking it), only for this guy to then hold up the draft portion himself for the rest of it. Good job, buddy! My first round opponent was genuinely annoying too, and very unpleasant (yet I beat him too, and it was super satisfying). Jesus christ, I just want to draft some old sets and laugh about a bunch of cards I don't know with other people, and I get some of the most grognardiest players I've ever faced.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Daniel must be thanking that judge so hard now.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

qbert posted:

Daniel must be thanking that judge so hard now.

It's the right call. He probably could have shortcutted it so he didn't shuffle - he hadn't scryed or anything - but he would have had to check with his opponent first.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

MySwan posted:

Is anyone else worried we're going to hit the anime-esque matryoshka doll villains singularity, where there's always someone else bigger?

It's going to peak with Bolas harnessing the power of the Eldrazi and the power of Phyrexia. P. Sure Bolas would win out over Elesh Norn, and considering how Green mana the eldrazi are, he could probably lead them around into some sort of trap...

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's hilarious to me that the goal of Nissa in the mirror is literally to +1 her 4 times and then -7

RME
Feb 20, 2012

This is just like one of my EDH games

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

RME posted:

Its actually less like your EDH games and more like your posting

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

RME posted:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

MiddleEastBeast posted:

That's not what NWO is.

Has WotC banned specific card combos instead of individual cards before? It seems the issue here is not Mastery of the Unseen or Nykthos specifically, but the two of them in combination.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Elyv posted:

It's hilarious to me that the goal of Nissa in the mirror is literally to +1 her 4 times and then -7

That is literally the point of Nissa period though?

Edit: I just tuned in.

This is game 2 and they're going on 80 minutes. Why.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

:siren: GP Trip Report :siren:

So, I've played Magic for around 15 years, played sanctioned for about 3 at a push, been a judge for 9 months, but this was my first GP

I went 3-3 in the main event, 2-1 for the first matches, the wins, so no walk overs, but my deck was solid yet uninspiring.
Round 4 my opponent has savage knuckleblade into zurgo into eupplant form my one decent guy.
Game 2 goes much the same. Afterwards he tells me he also has a Yasova AND a Siege Rhino. He also had 2 byes, so he did plenty well.

After my first loss, variance kicked in. I won at least a game in every round except r4, and my other 2 losses were close, but i saw far too much land.

Thats magic though.
I then did a chaos draft, scrubbed out of that, so went to the vendors and gave them money for foils for my pauper cube.

After that, i find out my friend is 6-2, so right in contention for day2, also his first GP!
He did make day 2, but his draft decks weren't great, so 2-4 iirc. Still, 9-6 in your first ever GP is nothing to sneer st. I think Karsten finidhed on a similar record, and LSV didnt day 2, so wss pretty happy for my friend.

Got a bunch of sweet stuff from vendors, and signings from artists.

Plus, Karl Kopinski seems like a brilliant guy.

Definitdly going to another gp, just probsbly not standard in london later this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Mr. Peepers posted:

That's not what NWO is.

Has WotC banned specific card combos instead of individual cards before? It seems the issue here is not Mastery of the Unseen or Nykthos specifically, but the two of them in combination.

No, and historically if a card combo was deemed unacceptable they've just banned one of the combo pieces. For example, they could have said "No running artifact lands and affinity cards in the same deck", but they banned the artifact lands outright instead because that's cleaner.

• Locked thread