Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

That is literally the point of Nissa period though?

Well, normally one of the main purposes of Nissa is to make your lands into a bunch of 4/4s and/or to ramp you since you can't reasonably expect her not to get attacked or destroyed in all that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Nah, we don't need a 4 mana wrath this standard.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Angry Grimace posted:

Its actually less like your EDH games and more like your posting

This post will go great in my rear end :)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mae posted:

I don't see that a point of mana is relevant to this match, and I think the mana for this standard makes 5 mana for a wrath completely playable overall.

Also Anger of the Gods and Drown in Sorrow would do work here.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 9, 2015

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

how is corey supposed to win this game

I guess I probably wouldn't concede either because GP finals but he really doesn't stand a chance

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'd imagine going forward there will be a different build. I don't think they expected an almost 25% draw rate. So possibly Nylea or a sweeper or something to break these horrific board stalls.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mae posted:

You're right.

We need Rain of Gore. :getin:

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

an_mutt posted:

Draft #2 had a guy to my right who told me "We need to draft at a reasonable pace" in a completely :goonsay: way after I was passed a pack of Apocolypse that was in a foreign language when I asked if anyone nearby could help me with translating some of the cards (I spotted a Jilt, but wanted to be certain before picking it), only for this guy to then hold up the draft portion himself for the rest of it.

Was this pack in Italian? My pod had a pack in Italian too. I took a tidal courier thinking it reordered my top 4 or something similar :v:

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
:siren::smaug::siren:HASTAG MTGFINANCE ALERT!!!!!:siren::smaug::siren:

Former draft leavings/current GP superstar Mastery of the Unseen has skyrocketed from 50 cents to $4 over the course of the day. There's also ~100 copies that people are looking for on pucatrade right now if you don't mind shipping them off at a bargain price.

Never change Magic nerds.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

how is corey supposed to win this game

I guess I probably wouldn't concede either because GP finals but he really doesn't stand a chance

A series of unlikely misplays, followed by decking?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
This is looking like it could be a quick 2-0.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

"quick"

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Elyv posted:

"quick"

Hey man even hippos can move fast once they build momentum.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BXCX posted:

:siren::smaug::siren:HASTAG MTGFINANCE ALERT!!!!!:siren::smaug::siren:

Former draft leavings/current GP superstar Mastery of the Unseen has skyrocketed from 50 cents to $4 over the course of the day. There's also ~100 copies that people are looking for on pucatrade right now if you don't mind shipping them off at a bargain price.

Never change Magic nerds.

Really really surprised it took people this long to catch on

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
Why hasn't the match gone to turns yet? I'm at the office watching this out the corner of my eye and this is just stupid.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

So where does all the life come from in these GW games? I meant to watch and learn how it works but, you know, I got bored. Is it just in the mirror it happens?

alphabrawl posted:

Why hasn't the match gone to turns yet? I'm at the office watching this out the corner of my eye and this is just stupid.

Top 8 isn't against the clock, which is why it's counting up.

Edit: And why do Corey and Brad have different surnames?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

So where does all the life come from in these GW games? I meant to watch and learn how it works but, you know, I got bored. Is it just in the mirror it happens?

A little bit from Courser, a lot from Mastery of the Unseen.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Mr. Peepers posted:

That's not what NWO is.

Has WotC banned specific card combos instead of individual cards before? It seems the issue here is not Mastery of the Unseen or Nykthos specifically, but the two of them in combination.

It seems the issue is moreso that this is the first big tournament where this deck has been played, and no one expected many other people to be playing it so nobody put any specific mirror-match cards in, resulting in these slogs.

The deck (and the card combo) is not immune to hatred.

Symphonie
Dec 24, 2010

lol just flamestrike it idk

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mastery of the Unseen gives you 1 life for each creature you control when you flip a creature face up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You know, I'm pretty sure Daniel could just alpha every turn until Corey is dead at this point.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Symphonie posted:

Mastery of the Unseen gives you 1 life for each creature you control when you flip a creature face up.

Yeah, knew about Mastery and Courser, I just figured that it couldn't come one point at a time. poo poo the bed.

Do none of these decks play End Hostilities? Wisperwood Elemental lets you keep guys on the board.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, knew about Mastery and Courser, I just figured that it couldn't come one point at a time. poo poo the bed.

It's not; if you have 10 guys out and 2 Masteries and flip up a manifest, that's 20 life right there, for instance.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Elyv posted:

You know, I'm pretty sure Daniel could just alpha every turn until Corey is dead at this point.

That would be too unethical for such a delightful deck. :angel:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Edit: And why do Corey and Brad have different surnames?

brothers can have different fathers or mothers. i dont know why you needed someone to tell you that but I'm here to help i guess

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Elyv posted:

It's not; if you have 10 guys out and 2 Masteries and flip up a manifest, that's 20 life right there, for instance.

Oh right, that's a strange card. My comment regarding bed making GBS threads stands.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
1-of or 2-of Bow of Nylea in the board breaks these games wide loving open. Expect that to be the thing that creates endgames.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Do none of these decks play End Hostilities? Wisperwood Elemental lets you keep guys on the board.

Whisperwould deck you in the situation you're describing

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
Do the stream a favor and commit seppuku now that you have emerged victorious.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

BizarroAzrael posted:

The real tech is taking advantage of their Whisperwood to deck them!

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Skillface posted:

It seems the issue is moreso that this is the first big tournament where this deck has been played, and no one expected many other people to be playing it so nobody put any specific mirror-match cards in, resulting in these slogs.

Didn't one of the players say earlier that he didn't bother making a sideboard for the mirror because the mirror would never reach game 2?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Patrick Sullivan is so done with this entire thing.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

bhsman posted:

Hey man even hippos can move fast once they build momentum.

Tell me about it.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
In addition to Nylea, I'd like to see these decks play Elspeth, as her Emblem could've also ended the game.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

an_mutt posted:

Shame about your stuff going missing - I kept all my stuff in my bag and right besides me all weekend, although that's more because I don't trust myself remembering to pick something up if I leave it out. I also did a chaos draft Saturday evening, funnily enough one of our drafters left after drafting never to be seen again - you weren't sitting at a corner seat and opening P1P1 Worldwake, were you? Because you might have been in my draft pod of that was the case! We all thought that person must have opened a Jace and ran off to sell it or something.

On that note, I came across a distressing number of assholes in the 2 chaos drafts I did over the weekend - draft #1 had several Greek guys who all had lovely attitudes and were really unpleasant to play against, and it was really satisfying to beat two of them in the Semi and the Final at the end. Draft #2 had a guy to my right who told me "We need to draft at a reasonable pace" in a completely :goonsay: way after I was passed a pack of Apocolypse that was in a foreign language when I asked if anyone nearby could help me with translating some of the cards (I spotted a Jilt, but wanted to be certain before picking it), only for this guy to then hold up the draft portion himself for the rest of it. Good job, buddy! My first round opponent was genuinely annoying too, and very unpleasant (yet I beat him too, and it was super satisfying). Jesus christ, I just want to draft some old sets and laugh about a bunch of cards I don't know with other people, and I get some of the most grognardiest players I've ever faced.

Wait, foreign Jilt in a chaos draft in liverpool? Was there a severely unfunny guy with short hair and a big beard in your pod? Cause you mightve been playing with me. (I wanted the jilt but took quagmire druid as it was on colour)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
gently caress the haters, that finals was glorious.

It's not as if the deck has no answers and is going to dominate standard now.

Can we just all be thankful it happened on SCG coverage and not on Wizards coverage?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

mehall posted:

:siren: GP Trip Report :siren:

So, I've played Magic for around 15 years, played sanctioned for about 3 at a push, been a judge for 9 months, but this was my first GP

I went 3-3 in the main event, 2-1 for the first matches, the wins, so no walk overs, but my deck was solid yet uninspiring.
Round 4 my opponent has savage knuckleblade into zurgo into eupplant form my one decent guy.
Game 2 goes much the same. Afterwards he tells me he also has a Yasova AND a Siege Rhino. He also had 2 byes, so he did plenty well.

After my first loss, variance kicked in. I won at least a game in every round except r4, and my other 2 losses were close, but i saw far too much land.

Thats magic though.
I then did a chaos draft, scrubbed out of that, so went to the vendors and gave them money for foils for my pauper cube.

After that, i find out my friend is 6-2, so right in contention for day2, also his first GP!
He did make day 2, but his draft decks weren't great, so 2-4 iirc. Still, 9-6 in your first ever GP is nothing to sneer st. I think Karsten finidhed on a similar record, and LSV didnt day 2, so wss pretty happy for my friend.

Got a bunch of sweet stuff from vendors, and signings from artists.

Plus, Karl Kopinski seems like a brilliant guy.

Definitdly going to another gp, just probsbly not standard in london later this year.

Seconding that Karl Koplinski is a really nice guy, he patiently signed all of my modern merfolk stuff (including MoW tokens!) and I thanked him for making all the awesome parts of merfolk and he was really thankful for the praise and a tip. He seemed very happy to be there and was laughing and joking around with the queue most of the time. Lovely chap.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

Can we just all be thankful it happened on SCG coverage and not on Wizards coverage?

I just had a nightmare, but i was awake the whole time

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Samael posted:

Seconding that Karl Koplinski is a really nice guy, he patiently signed all of my modern merfolk stuff (including MoW tokens!) and I thanked him for making all the awesome parts of merfolk and he was really thankful for the praise and a tip. He seemed very happy to be there and was laughing and joking around with the queue most of the time. Lovely chap.

I forgot to get my tokens signed, and i sleeved one of the cards too quickly, so am now down an ob nixilis as i dont want reminded of my failure.
He signed each card with a sharpie of the cards colour, and did each colour for the gold cards. Foil atarka with red green first name surname signature is sweet.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Starving Autist posted:

Tell me about it.

That is exactly the card I thought about. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Starving Autist posted:

Tell me about it.

Well done.

• Locked thread