Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Yes, and yes.

Start fabricating a claim on Porto, then release Galicia as a vassal. I like to marry/ally France, they will call you into the HYW which lets you beat the piss out of Portgual without Aragon. You may or may not get provinces out of the HYW peace deal but mainly you want to bleed them of money and stability so they don't start colonizing.

Feed Portugal to Galicia over a couple wars, burn their province in Cape Verde if they start one. You want to beat them to Cape Verde which will allow you to colonize into Brazil and the Caribbean decades before anyone else has the colonial range to reach the New World. Eventually they'll be small enough to vassalize, do that. Cancel vassalization of Galicia, then war dec them to reconquer Portugal's cores. Yay, now you have a colonizer superfriend vassal for pretty much no point cost!

Exploration, Expansion, then I'd grab Quantity. If you get France as an early ally you shouldn't have any problem militarily with your solid NIs and Quantity will help you project more force overseas and unlocks the sweet +1 Colonist +10 Settlers idea.

The new patch stopped the AI accepting CTA for wars from before the start of the game, so Portugal won't be involved in the HYW anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galdarion
Apr 13, 2014
who would start well if you wanted to re build rome? Italian? someone else?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Galdarion posted:

Byzantium :pseudo:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MorphineMike posted:

The new patch stopped the AI accepting CTA for wars from before the start of the game, so Portugal won't be involved in the HYW anymore

Okay, good to know. All the rest of that follows though, still good to ally France and attacking Portugal directly instead of joining the HYW is going to be faster anyway in terms of feeding them to Galicia.

Galdarion posted:

Genoa is a fun underdog start, ally France and take the mission to conquer Gibraltar. Bam, you have possessions across the Med and can expand at your whim with Big Blue at your back. Conquering Granada also allows you to get in on colonizing if you like.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Galdarion posted:

Albania. :getin:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Galdarion posted:

Uh Ottomans? Hello? The house of Osman was even heavily genetically related to the last of the Byzantine dynasties.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Okay, tried this new world thing as Cherokee this time. Things seem to be going pretty well, except. . .

I can't find any goddamned white people.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Agnostalgia posted:

*finger on monkey's paw curls down*

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I have artillery and I haven't figured out how to build boats yet.

I also have cavalry. I don't know what they're riding.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Agnostalgia posted:

I also have cavalry. I don't know what they're riding.

They ride piggyback.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Agnostalgia posted:

As far as I can tell, Native Americans/Mesoamericans can only build boats after westernizing. I can't tell if that's intended or not since some events reference having a navy anyway.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Roadie posted:

As far as I can tell, Native Americans/Mesoamericans can only build boats after westernizing. I can't tell if that's intended or not since some events reference having a navy anyway.

It was last patch. Probably some events weren't updated.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Roadie posted:

I know. But I can't westernize without westerners

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Still, every month they don't show up is another month you're getting stronger, and every tech they get before you reform is one more you don't have to spend monarch points on. It really is a good thing for you, even if that is a little :eyepop:

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Still, every month they don't show up is another month you're getting stronger, and every tech they get before you reform is one more you don't have to spend monarch points on. It really is a good thing for you, even if that is a little :eyepop:

If england show up again I'm pretty sure i can just bury them under 12000 gold worth of mercenaries.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I asked this before, but I think it got lost awhile ago. What's the best way to go about winning the hundred year war as England? Is it still possible with you not being able to call in Portugal?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Blockade, don't lose any battle/get stack wiped, use mercenaries, siege down France's allies first and get them to exit the war. Then pray the AI sends you relief in the form of enemy countries declaring war on a war exhausted France.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Run away as soon as possible, blockade france with fleet access from pope or something. Buy down war exhaustion continuously and keep relations with Burgundy high. Pray burgundy declares on france, then move in and support their armies.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Has anyone had the HYW this patch? Won it as the Protestants and it locked it in, permanently. As in, instead of making it the new dominant religion, it made it the new official religion. Plus leagues are now disabled but the Emperor's getting an extra +100 in voting reasons from the (mandatory Protestant) electors for being the League Leader -- surely that should go away once leagues are finished? Bit wonky.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

They changed it in the patch. Now only one league war; if Protestants win it, that's all she wrote.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It seems weird that the German nation-state and the HRE can exist at the same time. Maybe if the Emperor forms the German state by decision instead of Renovatio Imperii it should send all German culture group members a yes/no decision on joining the new German state like when you form the confederations and Germany in Victoria.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Portugal got called into France's 2nd War vs. England and I was able to take enough to be able to vassalize them the next war (and disclaiming their treaties with England + Aragon).

1514 now and the Iberian Wedding still hasn't fired. Is "King Joan" of Aragon ... a guy named Joan? Hopefully his heir "Alejandra" is actually a girl and will give the event a chance to fire in the next 16 years (only goes until 1530, I think). If not... I guess I have to go to war with Aragon to claim Spain.

Two colonial nations up already. Though neither has yet to actually colonize anything else by itself yet.

Is it worth taking the Ivory Coast for a Trade Company, or should I just focus on colonizing the Americas? I'd like to lock out the AI as much as possible -- quilting the coast, taking out natives on the coast. Right now I've been trying to get a colonial nation up in each Colonial Region to get the Treaty of Tordesillas (will Catholic AI mostly respect that?)

Secret Agent Cow
Dec 29, 2010

:dukedog:

Agnostalgia posted:

I know. But I can't westernize without westerners

I am having this exact same problem. It is 1584 and no westerners in either north or south america in my multiplayer game. Both of us played as americans. If I had to guess it seems this latest patch bugged exploration for ai nations.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

Agnostalgia posted:

Okay, tried this new world thing as Cherokee this time. Things seem to be going pretty well, except. . .

Having the same problem. This is either a bug or all my child sacrifices finally paid off! :getin:

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Hmmm. Get in on the Sun God cheev while the getting is good or do it honestly?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Are you all on ironman? If not, could be worth turning off terra incognita and scrolling over to europe to see if no one ever bothered to take Exploration.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Could this be a bug related to the new DLC? The current queen of Castile in my game is Isabel de Trastamara, but it's missing the accent on one of the "A"s. And so, it doesn't seem to consider itself to be the same dynasty as Aragon's, which is Trastámara. Does this then preclude it from the Iberian Wedding event?

I'm assuming that the game generated a pre-made Isabel for Castile from the DLC, but it messed up a little and now it's considered a different dynasty.

EDIT: Well, the Iberian Wedding happened regardless. Whew, I guess?

Jay Rust fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 9, 2015

Secret Agent Cow
Dec 29, 2010

:dukedog:

Mountaineer posted:

Are you all on ironman? If not, could be worth turning off terra incognita and scrolling over to europe to see if no one ever bothered to take Exploration.

Castile has exploration 7 and has no idea western Africa and southern Africa exist.

Portugal has both exploration and expansion at 7, but also doesn't know about the Americas. Columbus must have died in transit.

Great Britain has the Ivory coast and exploration 7, but has not discovered the inhabitable areas of Greenland.

France has exploration, but is more occupied with blobbing than anything.

The screenshots don't include that all the countries know about the spice islands. I think they learned about them through discoveries from neighboring countries.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

My latest explorer doesn't have a name. Is there something I can edit to give him a name? I tried quitting the game and reloading and it didn't change.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

alcaras posted:

Is "King Joan" of Aragon ... a guy named Joan?

He's a guy named John. But in Catalan.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, sorry if this is a stupid and/or frequently asked question (my excuse is that I haven't needed to do this since my Crimean game, ages ago), but when I westernize will my tech immediately be bumped up, or will I just get bonuses? Since if it's the former, I should use my current monarch points on ideas, right? Rather than spending them on techs I'll bypass via westernization? (since I'm able to westernize via colonial nations, I take it? Since I'm about to dump some colonies near one of Brittany's colonies - who control modern day Chile and chunks of NA - and am hoping to westernize by bordering them)

Thanks

EDIT: vvv Oh, I'm playing as Malaya, so I take it there's no down-sized bonus like the native one you mentioned - just the lack of penalties for being in the Chinese tech group?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Mar 9, 2015

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there, sorry if this is a stupid and/or frequently asked question (my excuse is that I haven't needed to do this since my Crimean game, ages ago), but when I westernize will my tech immediately be bumped up, or will I just get bonuses? Since if it's the former, I should use my current monarch points on ideas, right? Rather than spending them on techs I'll bypass via westernization? (since I'm able to westernize via colonial nations, I take it? Since I'm about to dump some colonies near one of Brittany's colonies - who control modern day Chile and chunks of NA - and am hoping to westernize by bordering them)

Thanks

When you westernize the cost of your tech goes from native tech cost to western tech cost. If you are a native, and are reforming as a native, then you get 80% of the tech that the person you reform off of has. So if they have 10 across the board, you'll reform and have 8 in each tech group.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: vvv Oh, I'm playing as Malaya, so I take it there's no down-sized bonus like the native one you mentioned - just the lack of penalties for being in the Chinese tech group?

Not only do you remove the Chinese group penalty, but you now get the neighbour bonus relative to anyone in the Western tech group, regardless of how far away they are. You won't auto-gain techs, but for every tech level behind it's 5% off; if you're 10 behind, say, that's 50%(!) off -- 300 points discount, before you even consider any of your other discounts from ideas or the Islamic Center of Scholarly Learning (since you're Malaya, good chance you're Sunni) or whatever

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

Secret Agent Cow posted:

Castile has exploration 7 and has no idea western Africa and southern Africa exist.

Portugal has both exploration and expansion at 7, but also doesn't know about the Americas. Columbus must have died in transit.

:laffo: Well the patch had to break something I suppose, but this is spectacular.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Paradox is incapable of releasing DLCs without massively loving up basics of their games. CK2 went a month with the AI being unable to declare war because they could not dismiss their levies. Rajas of India had the religious unrest bug, making India unplayable, which you'd think they would notice if they tested the DLC for five minutes. Now, unless that save game is an exception, it looks like they've completely broken the EU4 AI by making them unable to colonize worth a drat.

Don't buy Paradox DLCs on day one.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Node posted:

Paradox is incapable of releasing DLCs without massively loving up basics of their games. CK2 went a month with the AI being unable to declare war because they could not dismiss their levies. Rajas of India had the religious unrest bug, making India unplayable, which you'd think they would notice if they tested the DLC for five minutes. Now, unless that save game is an exception, it looks like they've completely broken the EU4 AI by making them unable to colonize worth a drat.

Don't buy Paradox DLCs on day one.

I think you get those changes in base game, even if you don't buy the DLC. Fortunately you can play on old version until it blows over.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

Could this be a bug related to the new DLC? The current queen of Castile in my game is Isabel de Trastamara, but it's missing the accent on one of the "A"s. And so, it doesn't seem to consider itself to be the same dynasty as Aragon's, which is Trastámara. Does this then preclude it from the Iberian Wedding event?

I'm assuming that the game generated a pre-made Isabel for Castile from the DLC, but it messed up a little and now it's considered a different dynasty.

EDIT: Well, the Iberian Wedding happened regardless. Whew, I guess?

You don't need to share dynasties, it all comes down to a traditional couple male/female or a regency council on one side. I got it while my Queen still had a regency council.

I am really liking this new flexible idea choice by the AI, makes it so much easier to use vassals to convert large amounts of newly conquered land. In 3 games so far I had vassals pick religious as one of their first two ideas and start converting for me.

Ugrok
Dec 30, 2009
Hello !

Do you guys know a good history book covering the history of the world during the EU4 timespan ?

Thanks !

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Ugrok posted:

Hello !

Do you guys know a good history book covering the history of the world during the EU4 timespan ?

Thanks !

1491 (Second Edition): New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus [Kindle Edition] by Charles C. Mann
Defenders of the Faith: Christianity and Islam Battle for the Soul of Europe, 1520-1536 [Kindle Edition] by James Reston Jr.
General of the Army: George C. Marshall, Soldier and Statesman by Ed Cray

The first of those books sets up the state of the new world before colonization and tries to document how the new world was colonized by the european powers. Defenders of the Faith covers the battle between the Ottomans and the HRE with good descriptions of the inner HRE and european politics (north Italy campaign, French/English/Austrian power games). The third describes the politics in Iberia with the reconquista and the Iberian Wedding as well as the Spanish/Portugese relations and the way of Columbus until he got his expedition financed by Isabella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Ugrok posted:

Hello !

Thanks !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rise_and_Fall_of_the_Great_Powers

• Locked thread