Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

uranus posted:

there is an SA group, with a bunch of people from this thread

I've never catch anyone in the chat channel though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i forgot there was even chat rooms on ogs. i should hang out there more

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

uranus posted:

i forgot there was even chat rooms on ogs. i should hang out there more

Ah yeah that's very confusing. Just found the chat channel myself, and there was no notification I was accepted into the group.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Oh I thought there was. Everyone who has requested an invite got one.

Generally chat happens on ITGO. SA group, like pretty much every group on OGS is very quiet...

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
someone around 10k play a 25x25 game with me on ogs. it looks crazy and stupid and fun.

crime
Feb 22, 2015

uranus posted:

someone around 10k play a 25x25 game with me on ogs. it looks crazy and stupid and fun.

I'm not 10k but I play 25x25 sometimes, be prepared to spend about 2 hrs playing. It takes longer than u think, but it's very fun.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

37x37 is the only other legitimate size other than 19x19.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

xopods posted:

Huge error born of laziness. Should be N18 even though the shape is thinner. I was just like "L+1, unsettled, [Xom]'s got to live in gote." Didn't realize that L+1 with two hanes is alive. Letting White live in sente is so bad.

Some pubbie just gave me the same gift of sente. :henget:

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i think ive started getting worse at go, help

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

uranus posted:

i think ive started getting worse at go, help

Play more.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
okay i played a game. http://eidogo.com/#zoZKYPdF

move 36 was my tablet being a jerk and was meant to be at d11. move 144 was probably the rum. maybe i shouldn't even post this one cause i didnt lose.

here's a couple embarassing games where i just let everything die. ughgh whyyy do i keep dying. my new goal isnt even to win anymore, just to not die.

https://online-go.com/game/1619234 bad bad bad and i KNOW i could have killed him if i could just read

https://online-go.com/game/1620261 even worse, uggh i dont want to even look at this game anymore.

why am i sucking. help.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
http://tromp.github.io/go/legal.html

I had no idea it was this hard to compute the number of legal positions. :aaa:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Symbolic Butt posted:

Super cool problem!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Symbolic Butt posted:

I am surprised it was even possible to exactly count those positions without explicitly counting them.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Xom posted:

Some pubbie just gave me the same gift of sente. :henget:

Given that it arises out of a joseki position, I'm sure it comes up enough that it's the kind of fact which is good for like 1/200th of a stone strength. Which is actually quite a lot. I'm sure most of us would be quite happy with a list of 200 clear situations we could just learn and get a stone stronger.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

why am i sucking. help.

Gonna give the opposite advice as Khel... sounds like you're on tilt. Take some time off, do something else, come back to Go when you really want to play. As soon as your motivation is anything other than enjoyment you're going to start doing worse.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

Gonna give the opposite advice as Khel... sounds like you're on tilt. Take some time off, do something else, come back to Go when you really want to play. As soon as your motivation is anything other than enjoyment you're going to start doing worse.

My "play more" is over a long period of time and not blitz raging 20 games in 3 hours like that one time I did. It also doesn't help that I read it "Why do I suck"

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
woo, xopods is back!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
hey everybody! what's you're favorite position on the board? I'm partial to R3! C7 is also pretty nice. lets discuss!

gochat will return after these messages

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

uranus posted:

hey everybody! what's you're favorite position on the board? I'm partial to R3! C7 is also pretty nice. lets discuss!

gochat will return after these messages

K10. First move, every game.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

3-4 points are pretty badass.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Does anyone else like diagonal 4-4 openings?

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i cant even beat... myself :'(

yes i played a game against myself cause i just want to have someone to play on my board and have no irl go friends oh dear

white won by komi, wow such a close game against even competitors!

yeah im just trying to show off my board

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

In games against myself the margins are always less than 10 pts.

flumpy
Jun 17, 2010
Hi - I just discovered this thread and joined up on KGS (Username: Flumpy). Still working on getting a rank (I think around 15k). Can I join the ITGO room?

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Got you added.

Has anyone noticed that the SA room appears to have vanished off KGS? What did we do to get it deleted? :v:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

WuChou posted:

Got you added.

Has anyone noticed that the SA room appears to have vanished off KGS? What did we do to get it deleted? :v:

What didn't we go to get deleted WuChou? What didn't we do? Also do people not really play on KGS much anymore? i try to get back into go and KGS seems pretty dead.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Blendy posted:

What didn't we go to get deleted WuChou? What didn't we do? Also do people not really play on KGS much anymore? i try to get back into go and KGS seems pretty dead.

Not that I've been at it for more than a few months but it seems like OGS is the place to be.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

It's getting harder to be bothered with KGS now that OGS has some more consistent games at my level (it's just easier to type 'o' into my address bar than it is to upgrade Java just to log into KGS), but I stop by when I can...

Shadonra
Oct 16, 2012
Hi! I've been lurking for a while, and I think I made a post a while back. Can someone let me into the OGS room?

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

So, the 2014 Honinbo Cup on OGS has finally started up again, after like a year, for the second round... of 3 :negative:.

Anyway, I won all my first round games so now I'm facing all the other 3d+ guys who are obviously much more in practice than me. So you can expect six reviews of me losing horribly over the next few months.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

My first match resigned on me, BOOM

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

xopods posted:

So, the 2014 Honinbo Cup on OGS has finally started up again, after like a year, for the second round... of 3 :negative:.

Anyway, I won all my first round games so now I'm facing all the other 3d+ guys who are obviously much more in practice than me. So you can expect six reviews of me losing horribly over the next few months.

At this rate we'll see the winner in 2016.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

AdorableStar posted:

At this rate we'll see the winner in 2016.

2017 actually, unless the people who held up the first round all quit first.

This is my game that's furthest along so far. Shaping up to be a spectacular mess already... https://online-go.com/game/1766161

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I want to play with people but must I install Java? I hate how it's always prompting me to install the latest update security risks. Thanks.

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008

xopods posted:

2017 actually, unless the people who held up the first round all quit first.

This is my game that's furthest along so far. Shaping up to be a spectacular mess already... https://online-go.com/game/1766161

Looks like a very calm 2-3k game

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Alder posted:

I want to play with people but must I install Java? I hate how it's always prompting me to install the latest update security risks. Thanks.
How do you feel about installing something that looks like it was written for windows 95?
Or something that looks like it was written for pre qt unix?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

tonberrytoby posted:

How do you feel about installing something that looks like it was written for windows 95?
Or something that looks like it was written for pre qt unix?

I love Win95. Everything except WinXP/7 does not compare to the glory that was once my favorite OS before it changed. Trust me, I did my HS assignments on what essentially was a toaster w/256MB because of reasons. When I first got a laptop it was the most miraculous experience ever.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Alder posted:

I love Win95. Everything except WinXP/7 does not compare to the glory that was once my favorite OS before it changed. Trust me, I did my HS assignments on what essentially was a toaster w/256MB because of reasons. When I first got a laptop it was the most miraculous experience ever.
Then go here:
http://www.tygemgo.com/ehowto/howto.asp?pn=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
haylee tries mirror go in her latest game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCMTetl5Sq8