Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

`Nemesis posted:

Says the guy who hasn't posted a single picture in the entire 524 page thread

Be the change you wish to see on the forums

This. I bled for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
The rear camber on my outback has been getting worse for a couple months now... It's been destroying the rear tires which are now pretty much bald, fronts are still great. The rear toe has been going off, and everything back there is entirely Caddywhompus.

No more need to wonder why...

I closed the back door kinda hard...

Hmmm... interesting...

This is bad...

Let's take a peek under the car real quick...

The whole subframe is swiss cheese. The car is sadly done for... You can see where the subframe is entirely cracked in half and the metal is just flaking out. I'm sure if I went in there with a chipping hammer I could remove most of the subframe with little to no effort.
It was a good car, pretty comfortable, lots of room, a nice cruising car. But alas, I ended up with a free forester that needed an engine. So I took the engine out of the outback and put it in the forester (I'd already swapped a 2.2 into the outback because the ej25 can go to hell forever). I think foresters are ugly and stupid, but hey, a car that isn't breaking in half is always a bonus.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

chrisgt posted:

The rear camber on my outback has been getting worse for a couple months now... It's been destroying the rear tires which are now pretty much bald, fronts are still great. The rear toe has been going off, and everything back there is entirely Caddywhompus.

No more need to wonder why...

I closed the back door kinda hard...

Hmmm... interesting...

This is bad...

Let's take a peek under the car real quick...

The whole subframe is swiss cheese. The car is sadly done for... You can see where the subframe is entirely cracked in half and the metal is just flaking out. I'm sure if I went in there with a chipping hammer I could remove most of the subframe with little to no effort.
It was a good car, pretty comfortable, lots of room, a nice cruising car. But alas, I ended up with a free forester that needed an engine. So I took the engine out of the outback and put it in the forester (I'd already swapped a 2.2 into the outback because the ej25 can go to hell forever). I think foresters are ugly and stupid, but hey, a car that isn't breaking in half is always a bonus.

Oh... oh my god. :stare:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

There is no god, only rust.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Powershift posted:

Welcome to the Midwest Rust Belt!

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Did we just surpass the Sockington scale? :stonk:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rust for the rust god?
Junk for the junkyard?

:black101:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Powershift posted:

I sent my Protege to the scrap yard for less than that, dear rust

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

EightBit posted:

Did we just surpass the Sockington scale? :stonk:

No, it's open ended.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The end rusted off.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Something about that just gives me the itch to take it to a field and hoon around until it finally gives way.

I mean more than it already has.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Shifty Pony posted:

Something about that just gives me the itch to take it to a field and hoon around until it finally gives way.

This, do this and film it.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

This, do this and film it.

So something like this?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cZxjk_fumOI

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

These videos are the best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITfWgGCkbv8

I hope to reenact this sometime soon with my red XJ, but hopefully just barely not hurt anything I want out of it.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I just went outside to hug my completely rust free e30.

e: and to take solace in the fact that while the citizens of Atlanta are, for the most part, ignorant and awful people, at least we don't have to deal with that

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

That would be fun, although it was on organ donor, and its driveline lives on in the forester. I was honestly worried I'd have to do another log suspension modification driving the outback around...

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

chrisgt posted:

another log suspension modification driving the outback around...
Another?
:allears:

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

It's already been posted in here, but some friends and I were driving out on logging roads in the middle of nowhere, northern Maine. I was trailing behind with a car full of tools in case someone broke down.
First this guy lost a brake line, so I did some expert brake line crimping. Then he was stopped on the side of the road....

This is what I found when I pulled some interior crap out of the way... Rear strut tower.

Of course I carry a chainsaw in my DD, so I cut up a tree:

Repaired as that car is ever gonna get:

He drove it over 50 miles out of the logging roads, very slowly... Then about 200 miles on the highway like that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

In craigslist code, that's minor surface rust, needs new rear struts(cheap fix)

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

He'd only bought it a couple weeks beforehand, paid some outrageous price for it. RECENTLY REPAINTED!!!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

chrisgt posted:

RECENTLY REPAINTED!!!!

Instant red flag anywhere in the rust belt. :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

xzzy posted:

Instant red flag anywhere in the rust belt. :v:

More so than "Rust free" or "Spotless"

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.
This video is scary, it starts off not looking too bad until he starts whacking it with a hammer and there are just crumbling sounds. gently caress rust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2din5kmNqfw

Dr. Klas
Sep 30, 2005
Operating.....done!
Jesus. When was the last time you peeked under the car?
Is that white crap on the pictures salt?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dr. Klas posted:

Is that white crap on the pictures salt?

Yes but it's beneficial, it's the only thing holding the frame together.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Huggable Bear King posted:

This video is scary, it starts off not looking too bad until he starts whacking it with a hammer and there are just crumbling sounds. gently caress rust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2din5kmNqfw

:stare:

The paint is literally holding it together.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Nah someone had bondo'd over the rust to make it look better, probably so they could sell it off and make it someone elses problem.

The PO is always a motherfucker.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Huggable Bear King posted:

My lovely old Toyota was like that. The paint was practically the only thing holding it together. After the rear brakes seized I just said gently caress it and sent it to the junk yard.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I'm so sorry. Cancer is a hell of a way to go.

I was trying to figure out a way to fit in chemo, but I have no idea what that would be. POR15?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
that thing would need a bone marrow transplant

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That thing needs a skeleton transplant more like.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Fire Storm posted:

I'm so sorry. Cancer is a hell of a way to go.

I was trying to figure out a way to fit in chemo, but I have no idea what that would be. POR15?

If it was just the subframe that was rusted out, I'd replace it. That was a good, comfortable car. But alas, the rockers were GONE, quarters were going, the steering rack was so bad I thought I was driving a 90's f250, etc. I could replace all the parts on the car..... Or just replace the car, and sadly that time had come. Its driveline parts (which are all from the junkyard anyway...) will live on in the forester.

As Cakefool said, a skeleton transplant was the repair. I jacked up the radiator cap and pushed a new car under it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
Horrible owner failure. Use synthetic oil in any engine you care about :barf:

One of these heads ran synthetic oil, the other dino oil. I don't need to tell you which one, I hope.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

Ehhhh, change your oil every 3k miles and that doesn't happen no matter what oil you run. If you don't keep oil in there long enough to sludge up, it won't get sludgy. Generally people who change to synthetic oil do so because they have a slight clue about cars and know that oil needs to be changed, so you get a biased group of people in the synthetic vs dino oil debate.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006

chrisgt posted:

Ehhhh, change your oil every 3k miles and that doesn't happen no matter what oil you run. If you don't keep oil in there long enough to sludge up, it won't get sludgy. Generally people who change to synthetic oil do so because they have a slight clue about cars and know that oil needs to be changed, so you get a biased group of people in the synthetic vs dino oil debate.

That interval is way short for any modern engine running synthetic. Jeep recommends 7500 miles for the 4.0, with conventional, ffs.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

EightBit posted:

That interval is way short for any modern engine running synthetic. Jeep recommends 7500 miles for the 4.0, with conventional, ffs.

Yea IIRC subarus are similar, but they have an "extreme service" OCI which is 3000 miles. I drive like an idiot all the time, and winter is rough on cars up here (as you saw from my poor old 2000 outback...) so I generally do it around 3k. I'd rather change by oil a bit more often than my engine...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I had to replace the engine in my wife's Mazda 6 about a year ago after it got out of time enough that the valves and pistons touched (my father-in-law found a Ford 2.3 with under 100,000 miles for $300.) I had been running store-brand synthetic in the engine for about four years prior at ~10,000 mile intervals.

There wasn't any sludge to be found in the head when we took it apart to swap the cams over.

e: not the clearest picture but the old engine is in the foreground:

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 9, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The crank shaft timing sproket on those is held in place by friction only. No keyway.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

chrisgt posted:

Yea IIRC subarus are similar, but they have an "extreme service" OCI which is 3000 miles. I drive like an idiot all the time, and winter is rough on cars up here (as you saw from my poor old 2000 outback...) so I generally do it around 3k. I'd rather change by oil a bit more often than my engine...

I'd be making fun of you right now, but you EJ22'd it, so I guess you don't have to change the engine with the oil anymore. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Geoj posted:

I had to replace the engine in my wife's Mazda 6 about a year ago after it got out of time enough that the valves and pistons touched (my father-in-law found a Ford 2.3 with under 100,000 miles for $300.) I had been running store-brand synthetic in the engine for about four years prior at ~10,000 mile intervals.

There wasn't any sludge to be found in the head when we took it apart to swap the cams over.

e: not the clearest picture but the old engine is in the foreground:

This is a pretty common problem on that engine, usually caused by:

jamal posted:

The crank shaft timing sproket on those is held in place by friction only. No keyway.

There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to which car does it - I've seen neglected beaters run up 300kkm no problems, and I've seen owned-by-seniors pampered garage queens annihilate themselves for no reason.