Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Between bad weather increasing my workload, being occupied with various things the next several weekends, and finally buying a 3DS, updates will be even slower than usual. Just a heads up and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Between bad weather increasing my workload, being occupied with various things the next several weekends, and finally buying a 3DS, updates will be even slower than usual. Just a heads up and all that.

Don't buy Fantasy Life, we'll be waiting on an update for months.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Last time, we pulled our first Needle after a fearful trek through the Chimera Lab, and Kumatora rejoined us. Now we're gonna do whatever.

In the area with the Needle are these Magic Gloves, a nice weapon upgrade for Kumatora that also boosts max PP a bit.

Salsa and his girlfriend will hang around here from this point. He won't be a party member anymore, but at least he'll give you Nuts.

Anyway, as we try to leave...

(Whoa, whoa, whoa! Hold it right there! Just where do you think YOU'RE goin'?!)

Meet The Squeekz.

He's not as tough and cool as he looks.

You know what's really cool? Teamwork. And also abstinence.

(I humbly apologize for my rude, egotistical attitude, despite being so weak. Back on the highway, I was known as the hippest cat around, but now I'm just a pathetic excuse of a mouse. All the girls dug me, but I'm definitely no fighter. But you helped me remember who I really am.)

(Whoa, I'm suddenly feelin' homesick now! I'm goin' back... Yeah, I'm goin' back. Anyway, dude! I'm headin' back home now, but watch out for them mole crickets if you keep goin' east. Again, so sorry!)

At least this story has a happy ending. And people say no good can come from violence! Those people clearly need a baseball bat in the face.

Oh yeah, something big may have escaped out of the Chimera Lab.

At this point, there are some monsters in there. I didn't catch a battle with the Security Robot, but you can imagine what it does. Here's what it looks like.

Regular Pigmasks are enemies here, but at this stage you're so powerful that they'll run away from you given the chance.

There's also Pigmask Captains, who are slightly less cowardly. They'll fire beams and kick you and stuff, nothing we haven't seen before.

Here's something we may not have seen before, PK Freeze Beta.

And here's something I know we haven't seen before, PK Love Beta.

And I couldn't help but capture this. Managed to trigger the elevator before the Pigmask caught me, so he decided to jog in place instead. He's not going to go up the ranks with that sort of attitude!

Anyway, on the third floor is this weird fella. We have to go in from the back elevator to reach him, though.

This guy's kinda gimmicky. He's pretty weak, but he's immune to PSI and inflicts status effects.

Yeah, I don't want to know what sort of pose that was.

Zombidillos meanwhile roam in the basement of the lab.

They roll for mediocre damage and are otherwise forgettable for also being weak.

At least while exploring, Kumatora picks up Paralysis Omega, which affects all enemies. It'd be more nifty if it weren't so expensive at 24PP, and if bosses were vulnerable to anything besides crying and occasionally Wall Staples.

Anyway, that's all done. Let's continue on to...well, whatever we're supposed to be doing.

Oh, right, our current mission is to be interrupted by a mole cricket.

I think we can do this part before Chimera Lab, actually, but I didn't bother doing it because I might as well wait until I have Kumatora already.

So you kept true to your promise and finally came to the Mole Cricket Hole, huh?! It's me! It's me! Don't you recognize me?! I'm the mole cricket you fought at Alec's place when you were play-fighting with the Dragos as a little kid!

Yeah, remember that weak and pathetic mole cricket we utterly wiped the floor with in the first update, the one who pretty much served as a tutorial for the battle system? He's back, and he's out for revenge.

Also, he's one of the few animals that actually talks. In this world, dogs and cows and pigs have to communicate telepathically, but mole crickets have vocal cords and have no problem speaking the same language as humans. I'll buy it.

I've been training for this day all these years! Okay, let's go! The time to battle has come! Follow me!

This is where you and me are gonna fight it out. This is where my right hand'll be raised into the air when I'm declared the winner. And this is also where you're gonna hit the ground with a thud.

So now we've got to climb down this hole to engage in our rematch.

So, the Mole Cricket Hole.

This place is Earthbound as upchuck, between the purple pathways, the trippy music, and the most obtuse objects blocking your path.

We're exceptionally proud.

We kinda can't explore at the moment due to these lotus roots, so let's get this beatdown over with.

I've asked him to be the judge for our match today. If you try to run away or do anything cheap, neither of us'll sit by quietly... Just so you know. Anyways, I've got special rules for our match. If, by some chance, an outcome isn't reached after 10 minutes have passed, we'll go to overtime, which'll last five more minutes. And if a conclusion still isn't reached after that, our elder'll decide who the winner is. Elder. Is there anything you'd like to add?

Take my advice. Sometimes, the bravest thing to do is run away. ...But you insist on it? In that case, I won't stop you.

On second thought, I'm scared and I really have to save the world and I'm not ready for this and oh god hold on a minute-

And so our inevitable rematch with our most fearsome rival, some Mole Cricket, begins in earnest!

Maybe too earnest.

The Mole Cricket has trained significantly in that his speed is now 255 while all his other stats are the exact same. This is so the Mole Cricket has a chance to prove how weak he is before you wipe the floor with him.

Even got some sweet EXP from that fight.

To think that such a mighty mole cricket warrior could be so easily defeated... Perhaps mole crickets aren't so powerful after all... I'll meditate on what else this means at a later time. But, for now, the match is over. I suppose the traditional thing to do now is be on good terms with you.

Actually, yeah. Do you know where the Needles sealing away the Dark Dragon are? We're looking for them.

We mole crickets aren't very knowledgeable creatures. But, call it a hunch, I think there could be a clue to these mysterious objects on the mountain on the far end of this mole cricket hole. I figure that's what the elder wants to say, too. He's hard to read sometimes, though.
Yes. I agree. The mountain! Go through this mole cricket hole and head up the mountain! I'm certain that's what you must do!
The mountain, huh... We don't have any other leads to follow up on, so let's check it out. Oh, hey. You guys don't know anything about the Dark Dragon itself, do you?
Sadly, we don't. We really are just mole crickets. Even though he's our elder, he's still just a mole cricket, too. We have no real strength at all... It's a pity. The very least we can do...

Wow... A dragon... I bet it's really incredible...
It must be incredible, indeed. I've learned so much today. A dragon that sleeps underground, needles that seal it away, us being surprisingly weak... Living a long life is worth it. Do you suppose you could tell us mole crickets about even more things?

The Mole Crickets are one of the better video game races I've encountered, so sure.

Thanks. We'll try not to be too much of a bother, so please raise us to be great. To start off, I'm thinking of starting a business in our own unique, mole cricket way. Please stop by if you ever happen to see us!
Oh yeah. If you're gonna go through this mole cricket hole, you should take my little bro with you. He's little, but he's a tough one. You can treat him just like any other item. Hey! Little bro! C'mere!

If you get lost in this mole cricket hole, just ask my little bro for help and he'll bring you straight back here. Right, little bro? ...C'mon, bro! Get your act together! The bad news is he's kinda lame and hates the sunlight more than anything else in the world. So be careful. You can't take him with you outside the mole cricket hole. ...Right, little bro?!

You can always pick the guy back up at this mole cricket should you wish. And you may wish to.

First, let's check this area out. We can now get rid of these lotus roots in a most gruesome way.

Only the most honest of the honest make these Sincerity Dumplings!

The Mole Cricket Hole's famous Sincerity Dumplings! Whether they sell or not, I make them every day and set them out so I can practice conducting business.

Sure, you can get Hot Spring Eggs for free that heal the same amount, but they're certainly not as sincere as these dumplings.

This map is indeed unbelievably accurate yet utterly unhelpful. There are four levels to this place, which makes navigation even more fun.

That's the trick to getting through this mole cricket hole.

I don't know, it's kind of amusing having this ridiculous, miserable labyrinth of a maze to navigate and being told you pretty much have to do the old "turn left/right every chance you get" thing to realistically escape.

In the meantime, there's lots of mole crickets to talk to, so...

*mumble* *mumble* *murmur*... What wonderful times!
After meeting you guys, the elder's suddenly full of life and enthusiastically asleep.

We are Mr. Mole Crickets. We dig holes and live in them, but we're very humble.

Lotus root-things are yum. Even their holes are yum.

This mole cricket hole is reallllly big, you know. You're gonna get bored fast if you don't do pointless chit-chat with us.

Mole crickets know everything. Just about everything ever. Like how to dig holes and how to win fights.

If you say yes...

Thank you! I'm so happy you believed me! I'll work hard to save your game juuuust right!

And he'll save your game for you. And if you say no...

Yeah... You're right. Only frogs can save games... Anything else is just a cheap imitation. I guess that's one way to think about it... It's not much, but I feel a little rejected.

You want to get to what's on the other end of this mole cricket hole? Everything over there is mysterious for some reason. I'm not brave at all, so I'm too scared to go.

If there's a turn, turn. Even if you don't want to. Do that, and you'll eventually reach the other end of this mole cricket hole. Have faith in yourself, and proceed NOT straight ahead! Time for another song!

It's a twisty, turny road
but it's not the path I chose
But don't complain, just grin and bear it
as you go down that twisty, turny road
It's not the path I chose
Who did choose it, I wonder

Whenever there's a turn, be SURE you turn! No matter what happens, turn at every turn! Do that, and you'll never get lost!

It's so rare to meet non-mole crickets. Could you let me bite you real quick? If not, could you let me lick you instead? No? Oh, well.

You went out of your way to come talk to me? Even when you could've lost your way? You make me so happy I wanna cry...

Some mole crickets have been digging some really deep holes in that area. Could they be any MORE inconsiderate?! We moles've been digging holes here for a long time now, so they should've at least gone through the proper channels first. *mumble* *mumble*... Oh, I'm sorry.

hey wait

Other than the mole crickets (I'm sure I probably missed a couple but like hell I'm gonna explore every inch of this damned place) there is really nothing exciting to show. It's a huge maze of purple pathways leading to roots that lead to more levels that lead to dead ends that lead you back to where you were to lead you down more paths that lead you down to more dead ends that lead you back to where you were that lead you into insanity.

So screw all that here's the drat exit. So what's at the other side?

:siren: :siren:

Next time, we explore the mountain and hopefully find the next Needle!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Is there a way back to town without going through the mole cricket tunnels again?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Is there a way back to town without going through the mole cricket tunnels again?

Kind of, but not really. You'll see what I mean in the next update.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I believe you can do the Mole Cricket maze before the Chimera Lab. You can do this chapter in any needle order you want, apparently, but it's wise to stay on the path the game takes you because some of the enemies are very hard.

By the way, Mother 3 doesn't have instant victories like Earthbound did. But if you're significantly stronger than an enemy, running through them will make them disappear.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mega64 posted:

First, let's check this area out. We can now get rid of these lotus roots in a most gruesome way.
:stonk:

I don't think I ever noticed that before.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Hirayuki posted:

:stonk:

I don't think I ever noticed that before.

Just imagine the scream that comes with that mouth.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

MR. J posted:

:argh:: "I was two days away from retirement! Curse you strangely dressed Elvis-child! I curse yooouuuuuu! Argh, my spleen!"

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 6, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

MR. J posted:

It just sounds like a bunch of mole crickets eating a lotus roo- waitaminute...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What a beautiful snowscape.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The music for this area is one of the few songs present in all three Mother games. As with the other two games, it's used for a snowy secluded area, though unlike the other two games there's no actual town associated with it.

I don't have a name, but remember me sometimes as being a pretty cool guy, okay?

I'm surprised anyone would come to such a cold place!

Yes, there's talking snowmen here.

As are snowboarding yetis, though unfortunately the latter is an enemy.

The Ten-Yeti will slam into you and send fleas flying your way. Pretty much your standard "enough to be a nuisance, not enough to be too threatening" encounter enemy.

It does have one more trick we'll get to in a moment.

Chilly Dogs are more annoying, in that they have no problem calling for help or casting PK Freeze Beta on you. They also do decent damage.

They're also useful as a weapon for the Ten-Yeti, so take out one of them quickly. Fortunately Chilly Dogs have lowish HP and, as you probably guessed, both enemies are weak to PK Fire.

There's one other enemy up here, the Frosted Bun, but it's pretty rare. It gives a decent amount of EXP and money, and uses freeze attacks, though it seems easy enough to kill. Here's a picture.

Double Jerky actually restores more than double the amount of regular Beef Jerky, 160HP to the regular's 60.

Nice defensive boost for Kumatora.

Some snowmen melt away without ever meeting anyone.

More snowmen will tell you about Lydia, who you may remember as one of the seven Magypsies. If she's nearby, chances are a needle is as well.

The actual mountain is pretty short, only two screens before you get to this point, which serves as a breather area. Item Guy is here to handle all your item storage needs, albeit without his trusty cart.

There's also a frog to save at if it can maintain its grip.

I'm studying, you see! I have an undying sense of curiosity! It's like the Call of the Wild, and all that! For whatever reason, I picked up all sorts of stuff along the way! Please let me use them to conduct business!

There's also a mole cricket setting up shop here. There's various armor upgrades for all three characters that are worth investing in. The warm sweaters may be useful later on, but not so much right now since there's no more encounters for this point.

Thank you! I'm still new to this, but I'm going to work as hard as I possibly can!

Then the mole cricket sets up shop right next to the hot spring with the five-syllable name.

And further up ahead is Lydia.

Oh, dear me. My little bunnies have run off.

You must be cold. Come inside and warm up.

Looks like we've found what we were looking for.

Upon entering, you'll probably notice that pigmask lying in the bed. I won't hold it against you if you don't though, no matter how much I secretly judge you for it.

I found him lying unconscious outside my house. It looks like he went on a scouting mission and got separated from his friends.

The Magypsies will gladly give comfort to the enemy, they don't care.

...They say you're the one who can pull the Needles. Such a strong, sweet face...

What you seek is behind this house. It's surreal, realizing the time has finally come for my Needle to be pulled. I never thought this day would come to pass...

When you pull the Needle, I will vanish. That is our fate as Magypsies, so that is what must happen. When "the time" comes, I will welcome it with open arms. But, there IS one concern I have.

No one will be here to look after them...

I hope everything works out for the best when "the time" comes. We aren't permitted to interfere, and it's wrong of me to worry so much about it. I'm a mess, a horrible Magypsy. I never believed "the time" would come!

Now, then. Have faith that "the time" has come, and go pull the Needle. I've unlocked the door for you.

What is that...? Is this what it sounds like when "the time" comes?

This can't be good.

This is also the first time we get the full theme of the Pigmasks.

And quite the appropriate time to get it, as...

...the Masked Man pulled the third needle. Welp.

The conversation between Lucas and the Masked Man goes as well as you'd expect between two people who never talk.

Then a robot gorilla walks in and the Masked Man takes off in a jet pack. Sounds about right.

The Steel Mechorilla is the boss of this area, and this guy requires a careful strategy of

...doing the same buff/debuffs as I do for every boss fight. This guy is purely physical attacks, so plenty of Defense Up and Shield is very useful here. He also has high defense and is resistant to a lot of PSI, so Kumatora's not so useful in this fight. You'll want to boost Lucas and Boney's offense and have Kumatora focus on healing.

The Steel Mechorilla can swing a ball at two people or kick one. This will hurt if you don't buff the hell out of your defenses beforehand. However, if you can keep Shield up on everyone (and it's pretty easy to do so while having Lucas still attack often) this fight becomes trivial.

Now, the Steel Mechorilla is resistant to most PSI. As you might expect, though, he is weak to Thunder attacks. Simple enough, right?

After he is hit with three thunder attacks (and that includes Thunder Bombs, as I found out), he short-circuits and changes his attack patterns.

Now he will spend the rest of the fight attacking your entire party every single round and you will be hosed because it hurts a lot and there's no drat way you'll be able to keep up healing the damage he does to you once your shields are gone.

Very, very fortunately, I triggered this when he was close to death, so I avoided disaster. But I wasn't even close to taking this guy on the first time I tried to fry him, so this is one gimmick I'd recommend not going for. Otherwise, pretty simple fight.

That masked man... Could he be the one pulling the Needles?! Is Lydia alright...?

Well, considering we just saw him in front of the needle when it was freshly pulled, I'd say he's the one.

Pay me no mind.

Oh, right, Lydia.

Lucas. Someone other than you has pulled the Needle. Whatever is inside that person's heart has been passed on to the Dark Dragon... You MUST pull the rest of the remaining Needles from here on out...

Same deal as the other Mementos.

Lucas. This is it. "The time" has come. Believe in that, and keep pushing forward. This is where I say farewell. Don't worry about me. You can use the white box at the top of this mountain to leave. Also, go and ask my little Pigmask friend what he wants to do now.

Send hugs and kisses to the next Magypsy for meeee!

And just as soon as we get here, Lydia is already gone.

Our Pigmask friend is on his feet, at least.

Me and you are enemies. Don't bother with me. Just go do what you need to do. I have no intention of helping you guys out.

So I'm gonna stay here and look after his rabbits. Then we'll be even. Get going already! Before another Needle gets pulled!

At least two loose ends get tied together nicely. A bit predictable, sure, but it's a nice reminder that there is humanity in these faceless soldiers we keep beating up. Not that that'll stop us from beating up more of them, of course.

Also, there's a magic butterfly in his mask.

Don't run around inside, you dummy! It'd be no laughing matter if you stepped on a bunny!

It's only common sense.

At this point, there's nothing else left to do up here. You might want to make sure you've done everything you wanted up here before you go, as this is a one-way trip and to come back here you'd have to go through the Mole Cricket Tunnels. Have fun with that.

Anyway, we gotta hurry to the next Needle. Venture forth!

:siren: :siren:

See you next time! (if we survive)

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Well hey, if fridges can protect you from nuclear blasts, then surely you aren't in danger of dying to RADICAL JUMPZ

Also the Mechorilla is pretty hardcore, and if I wasn't before, that was probably the point I learned that buffing your defense/shielding is really good and you should do it for most bosses.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Does this game have the shield that will reflect damage back to the attacker? Because that seems like it'd be so handy against the Mechorilla.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
So yeah, climbing to the top of a snowy mountain to get into a fridge to jump back home.
Earthbound Mother 3 :psyduck:

Mechgorilla was my first real roadblock in the game because he does a whoajillion damage with those heavy attacks. Even through the normal shield.

I also had quite the time trying to actually hit him with thunder so I didn't know that him shorting out makes him go berzerk. Which is another reason why it's best to turn this into a slugfest.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Leavemywife posted:

Does this game have the shield that will reflect damage back to the attacker? Because that seems like it'd be so handy against the Mechorilla.

Yup, it's called Counter, though it's harder to learn and apply. I dunno if the average player would have it by this point.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
And this is about where I stopped playing, due to getting sidetracked by other stuff. Looking forward to seeing how all this pans out. :munch:

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Yeah I never made it past the Mechorilla either, he just kept ruining me and I don't think I had much of an idea what I was doing, so this is also entirely new territory for me from now on.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Never trust a bunny.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I feel like I'm missing a really obvious pun with "Ten-yeti", yet here I am.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Hang ten. :v:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Alxprit posted:

Yup, it's called Counter, though it's harder to learn and apply. I dunno if the average player would have it by this point.

I have it, but the problem is that it only reflects 50% of physical damage, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually reduce it. It's much safer to reduce damage outright since otherwise you'd spend more time healing when buffed Lucas and Boney will do more damage than would be reflected back anyway.

I can't really think of when I'd rather use Counter than Shield in this game since there's no good multi-target healing until later in the game, and you'd do much more damage with Lucas attacking with his high offense than reflecting three half-damage attacks per character Lucas casts Counter on.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ometeotl posted:

I feel like I'm missing a really obvious pun with "Ten-yeti", yet here I am.
This one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080_%28skateboarding_trick%29

What was the enemy's name in the original?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

SelenicMartian posted:

This one? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080_%28skateboarding_trick%29

What was the enemy's name in the original?
"Ten-Yeti"! :haw: That's "ten ieti" versus "ten eitii".

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Mega64 posted:

I have it, but the problem is that it only reflects 50% of physical damage, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't actually reduce it. It's much safer to reduce damage outright since otherwise you'd spend more time healing when buffed Lucas and Boney will do more damage than would be reflected back anyway.

It does actually reduce the damage done in addition to dealing back that reduced damage. PSI Counter is the same. It's usually more efficient to go with the Shield varieties though, since you do get the party-wide versions of them much earlier.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Alxprit posted:

It does actually reduce the damage done in addition to dealing back that reduced damage. PSI Counter is the same. It's usually more efficient to go with the Shield varieties though, since you do get the party-wide versions of them much earlier.

Ah, okay. I don't remember when you get the party-wide version, or who learns it, but Shield sounds more effective for that fight.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Alxprit posted:

Ah, good to know, thanks. The Official Handbook didn't specify that it did.

I still prefer regular Shield since Counter costs twice as much PP (12 to Shield's 6) in return for maybe 200-300 extra damage to the enemy. This may change late-game once I get both of the multi-target versions and Lucas has significantly more PP, but we'll see when we get there.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Currently playing through the next update, and apparently strangeness will make you do all kinds of weird stuff.

I found this out after watching Lucas and Boney feed Kumatora three of my precious PP-restoring items outside my control in a regular battle. :negative:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Currently playing through the next update, and apparently strangeness will make you do all kinds of weird stuff.

I found this out after watching Lucas and Boney feed Kumatora three of my precious PP-restoring items outside my control in a regular battle. :negative:

That's not strangeness, that's two men fighting for the attention of a lady. It's love. :allears:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mega64 posted:

I'm not sure I'd want to eat a magic cake that had been in a dog's mouth.

I think the party in Tales of Vesperia had this same problem in character.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Dareon posted:

I'm not sure I'd want to eat a magic cake that had been in a dog's mouth.

I think the party in Tales of Vesperia had this same problem in character.

Boney just manipulates it via his mouth. Repede can actually -cook- the party's meals.

...Is that better or worse?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

When I've played this game, I sometimes complete the needle we're doing next before going after the one in the snow.

Shield Beta (the power shield) wasn't really useful in Earthbound, it just served as a way to make enemies annoying. Counter (which is the exact same thing as a power shield in Mother 3) isn't that much more useful, although there is one part of the game where I like to use it.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Sorry, I couldn't hear the rest of the update over really wanting a jetpack.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Was gonna update this week but real life punched me in the face so I'll hopefully update next week.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

And we're back in Tazmily. It certainly beats going back through the Mole Cricket tunnels, at least.

There's not really any new dialogue here for now, so might as well check out that weird bottle moving about.

As you might have guessed from the title for this section and from that font, we're finally going to meet face-to-...something with Earthbound favorite Mr. Saturn.

We're back in the tunnels where we spent a good deal of Chapter 5. There's another note next to this...uh, let's just worry about the note first.

We've got our next objective, and we've got a new method of transportation.

The coffee table, other than making horse noises, works identically to the Pork Bean, but without that pesky charging stuff. It's still restricted to road ways and will crush any enemy in its path. Plus it's just so stylish.

There's a few changes to the highway area since Chapter 5. Let's do a quick look, shall we?

Whew... I tried to fix this recharge device myself... But it was just too formidable a foe...

This guy who saw us off hasn't moved an inch since.

This warehouse is pretty much abandoned save for these guys.

Security Robots also show up in the post-Needle Chimera Lab, but they're abundant here. They're not that threatening, especially since this area has a free healing area.

The only threatening thing they do is put you to sleep over how boring they are.

No backtracking from here, not that there's any reason to.

It seems beating the tar out of The Squeekz made him go home and be a family man.

Squeak! (Hey! Dude! It's me, The Squeekz! That hip chick magnet you met by the pond earlier. But now I'm a stay-at-home daddy-o.)
Squeak. (I'm not really sure what happened, but my hubby finally came back home. But just between you and me, I think his old self might've had more charm... Ohohohoho!)

At least that story had a happy ending (except all the children are gone again and half are probably dead by this point but whatever it's happy enough).

I even stood in line all that time without going to the bathroom... That's what I mutter to myself as I now stare blankly at this door.

The cafe's emptied out a bit since earlier.

This guy still loves his gum, though.

Let's see... This restaurant is unpopular. And I'm cute. ...I'm definitely not working here for long.

And sneaking in is all the more unallowed. As are peeking, leaking, and reeking!

drat, and I was all set to reek up the ruined tower.

The path east of Thunder Tower is now open, and going that way will lead us to construction equipment that forces us to go on foot.

Filthy Attack Roaches are filthy, and they attack, though they don't do it well enough to be impressive or anything.

Meh.

The Naughty Mushroom, on the other hand, can be quite a pain.

So, I initially thought Strangeness is simply confusion, i.e. your allies may attack other party members occasionally.

That is not always the case, as sometimes it'll cause boys and dogs to feed rare PP-restoring sweets to beautiful ladies simply to spite me. I lost three PP-restoring items in one battle because of two drat mushrooms.

Alright.

So this place?

I'm not even really sure what the deal with this place is.

Welcome to Saturn Valley, home of the Mr. Saturns. The Pigmasks have taken over.

We've taken control of this nonsensical village. The place is still nonsensical, but that doesn't change the fact that we're great and almighty. Boing! Oops, I think this village has started to get to me...

Whoa, whoa, whoa! Get outta here! Get! Get lost, kid! Scram!

Some gifts are pretty nice here, like a nice armor upgrade for Boney.

Others are not so nice, as for some absurd reason Mr. Saturns will often wrap farts in present boxes. I am not one to argue with the insane logic of cultures different than mine, as I'm simply one who prefers to silently judge them.

Our goal is to go inside each home and deal with the Pigmasks within. It won't be easy, however, as each home holds a most fearsome foe...

Don't force us to use this Frightbot to make you cry!
Enough of your stupid nonsense! Tell us where the Needle is, or we'll make it tell you even scarier stories!
OKAY, LET'S GET STARTED! THIS IS GOING TO BE SCARY! SO LISTEN GOOD...!

WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?! WE'LL BEAT YOU GOOD!

Each house has a Frightbot which we must defeat before we can rescue the Mr. Saturns within. This one comes with a couple of Pigmask Captains to take care of.

Though the Pigmasks are easy to take down, Frightbot is much bulkier, due to its frightening nature in general.

The Frightbot's attacks are much more terrifying than mere punches and stabbings and shootings and clobberings. No, Frightbot attacks your very soul with its terrifying words.

In fact, it does nothing but tell you scary stories, forcing you to beat it down before you wet your pants in fear. Or until you get bored of its numerous variations of stories.

pre:
* The Frightbot started telling a spine-tingling story.
* The Frightbot told a story so scary you want to cover your ears.
* The Frightbot told a story so incredibly scary that your teeth won't stop chattering.
* The Frightbot told a bone-chillingly scary story.
* The Frightbot told a scary story with some deeply touching moments mixed in.
* The Frightbot told a pants-wettingly scary story.
* The Frightbot told a bloodcurdling story.
* The Frightbot accidentally told a cute, funny story.
* The Frightbot told a story so scary you couldn't help but laugh.
* The Frightbot told a story so scary you'll never go to the bathroom at night again.

Once the Frightbot is defeated, the Mr. Saturns will thank you to the bottoms of their whatevers.

The Mr. Saturn in this game are a bit different. In Earthbound, though they have their odd dialect and manner of speaking, they still speak clearly enough to be easily understood. Here, their speech is more cryptic and confusing. Which version you prefer is simply a matter of taste.

A lone Frightbot is no threat unless you have a weak heart. These Mr. Saturns will also show gratitude to you.

This abode hold a nice armor upgrade for Lucas that also boosts his IQ. It also doesn't look like the kind of shirt a good kid would wear.

This home is especially scary, as it has two Frightbots.

SCARINESS SEEMS TO BE WEARING OFF... AM SENSING MY LIMIT NOW. OH, THAT WAS ME TALKING TO MYSELF. DID THAT SCARE YOU ALREADY?

EEK! YOU'RE SCARY! WE'LL STOMP YOU HARD!

They don't.

This Mr. Saturn will give you one of two gifts, depending on how you answer this question. I think I went with Yes for this one.

Don't ask me what this does, ask Mr. Saturn.

You're welcome!

Three down, one to go! And this is the most important one. As it holds...

KEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Where is the Needle? Where in Saturn Valley is it?!

Don't lie! You lied yesterday, too!
You'd better tell us, or we'll start tickling your underarms again!

Don't tell me these are the ones...?
Just get 'em!

This one has some Pigmask Majors at its side. The Majors are tougher and more dangerous than the Captains, but they go down quickly to Fire and Love Beta.

You'll pay for this! I'll make sure you pay!

With that empty threat, the Pigmasks run off, leaving us to reunite with a familiar face.

Lucas!! Kumatora!! Boney!! Thank goodness you're alright!

But don't worry. The Egg of Light is safe.
Geez... Is this lucky or unlucky? I can't tell.
You're all lucky. That's the only way I can see it...

Let's let these guys down for now.

-----

Needles that seal away the Dark Dragon... Hmm. Sounds like I should go with you. Lucas. I'm coming too.
Actually, we would've dragged you along with us anyways.

And so we reunite with Duster, and our party is together once again!

Next time, we'll explore Saturn Valley proper and start the hunt for the next needle.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 25, 2015

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Scary stories are but one aspect of the greatest torture of all ... Scout camping trips!!!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

John Liver posted:

Scary stories are but one aspect of the greatest torture of all ... Scout camping trips!!!

I dunno, a horde of relatively unsupervised boys loaded with the tools to create and play with fire is only really horrifying to the guys responsible for them.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Duster is why I sometimes do this needle before the one on Snowcap Mountain (I think that's the mountain's name). Having an extra debuff with his Thief Tools works very well against the Steel Mechorilla. Being at a lower level does make the Pigmask Majors a little tougher, so that's a trade-off.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

How does Mr. Saturn speech work in the original Japanese?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Carbon dioxide posted:

How does Mr. Saturn speech work in the original Japanese?

I dunno if I've ever actually heard the answer to it but my immediate guess would be swirly hiragana.

• Locked thread