Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

VanSandman posted:

Vegeta would approve of Videl due to her work ethic. He'd probably get her to make Gohan train more somehow.

This is basically the Videl/Gohan mentor quest line.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Also, speaking of that arc did Videl become the GreatSaiyaman 2 in one of the movies or something because I don't remember it happening in the show but i've played a few games where it was a costume and it's basically the greatest. :allears:

I think she only donned it in the Fusion Reborn movie which involved fighting a bunch of dead villains and Hitler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
Videl became Saiyaman 2/Saiyawoman in part of the post-Buu filler. She also wore it in the Tapion movie I believe.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The GreatSaiyaman arc is legitimately one of my favourite arcs in the series, it's just so goofy and fun. The Buu saga really should have stuck with that tone throughout all of it, I think it was more dragonball-esque than the previous few arcs of Z.

Also, speaking of that arc did Videl become the GreatSaiyaman 2 in one of the movies or something because I don't remember it happening in the show but i've played a few games where it was a costume and it's basically the greatest. :allears:

She became the Great Saiyawoman in Wrath of the Dragon.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Goku should've became like Jojos with different generations doing things.

Kild fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 9, 2015

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am glad Gohan didn't become the main hero, I like him as the dude that is reluctant to fight and really isn't good in fight situations despite his massive potential.

Its like the only interesting quality he has.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I'm not sure why so many people in this thread want Gohan to be the hero. He had like, one cool moment in all of DBZ and that was when he blew Cell into nothingness. That was his peak and I'm fine with that because Goku + Vegeta solving everything else is more interesting

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zzulu posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why so many people in this thread want Gohan to be the hero. He had like, one cool moment in all of DBZ and that was when he blew Cell into nothingness. That was his peak and I'm fine with that because Goku + Vegeta solving everything else is more interesting

I think a lot of us enjoy Gohan for being more, no pun intended, human. His awkward doofiness in the Great Saiyaman stuff convinces me that a more Gohan centric variation of the Buu Saga would have been hella fun.

But I also don't really like Goku much. :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don't know, whenever he fought he acted exactly like Goku because when fighting actually happened everyone always acted exactly the same. I mean its not like Gohan didn't get his focus in the Buu saga(he acted about how I expected Goku would have as well), it was just ultimately pointless.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zzulu posted:

Agreed. To take it one step further, I never really enjoyed the Gohan character of the Buu Saga. Great Saiyaman was a nice breath of fresh air to start the Buu saga, but older Gohan always just kind of seemed there after losing the "literal child with massive potential" character trope. He just was the boring son who was just kind of there. Granted, he didn't enjoy fighting like his dad did, but that never really is a thing except for the two times Vegeta lashes out at him about it. I don't really blame Toriyama for bringing back Goku if he had to make a new story arc after Cell, Gohan just doesn't have the charisma that Goku, Vegeta, and even Krillin did.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zzulu posted:

When half the Buu arc was hyping up Gohan to be the savior and then immediately shelve the idea like 100 episodes later, yeah people are a little upset by that.

He's also amazing in the Great Saiyaman arc, wtf.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Gohan was always terrible, I can't think of a point in the entire series where we wasn't cringe worthy or overshadowed.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Zzulu posted:

He was literally hyped up since the beginning of DBZ, which is where most people started watching the show. Like he was shown as stronger than Goku in the fight against Raditz. The fight against Cell was the culmination of a buildup since the story began for many people, it's disappointing that it just died off.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
In hindsight, Gohan is probably the closest thing to the Joseph Joestar of DBZ.

He just loses far more fights than Joseph ever did.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kild posted:

Goku should've became like Jojos with different generations doing things.

Son Go's Mystical Adventure.

Son Goku
Son Gohan
Son Goten

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Stallion Cabana posted:

I feel like he's overstating his 'never trained'. Like how would he know how fast he gets strong if he's never trained. It seems more likely he did it for a little bit, saw a massive improvement, went 'well gently caress this that was amazing, that's all I need' and never did it again.

I dunno, that's how I'm going to parse it even though it's a minor thing.

who cares, i'm loving the idea of a freeza training sequence

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I can't help but wonder what kind of space training Frieza will do to get from being below SSJ1 in power to above SSJ3 (And maybe SSGod? He shouldn't know Goku is this strong yet, right?).

FeedingHam2Cats
Nov 10, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I can't help but wonder what kind of space training Frieza will do to get from being below SSJ1 in power to above SSJ3 (And maybe SSGod? He shouldn't know Goku is this strong yet, right?).

The folks who revive Freeza know Goku beat Buu so there's an understanding that Goku is 'spectacularly strong, way stronger than Freeza'

But who cares, it's Dragon Ball Z and I want to see Super Freeza loving around

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Onmi posted:

Son Go's Mystical Adventure.

Son Goku
Son Gohan
Son Goten

I don't understand why GT wasn't just about Goten. The letters even kind of loving work. He looks exactly like Kid Goku. How wasn't that a no-brainer?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I don't understand why GT wasn't just about Goten. The letters even kind of loving work. He looks exactly like Kid Goku. How wasn't that a no-brainer?

Because GT was done by the studio's looking to continue making a buck.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Twiddy posted:

He was literally hyped up since the beginning of DBZ, which is where most people started watching the show. Like he was shown as stronger than Goku in the fight against Raditz. The fight against Cell was the culmination of a buildup since the story began for many people, it's disappointing that it just died off.

He was hyped up but he had his payoff so I don't particularly care what happened next.

They Great Saiyaman arc is about all you have left to do with the character really.

Trying to shoe him into the hero of the Buu arc was just dumb.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know when's the last time you watched the Buu arc, because it's pretty much 90% Gohan being treated as a super special guy that everyone's waiting to get back into prime form before being eaten by Buu. Goku was far more shoe-horned in as the hero, complete with "Dragonball, we gonna waste a wish to refill his batteries."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

There was no specific hero in the Buu saga.

Everyone just took turns being the guy who was gonna win for realsies.

I mean you had Gotenks, Gohan, Vegito, and Goku were all seen as potential saviors.

That arc was quite literally all over the place.

I am actually quite content with how it ended frankly.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

He was hyped up but he had his payoff so I don't particularly care what happened next.

They Great Saiyaman arc is about all you have left to do with the character really.

Trying to shoe him into the hero of the Buu arc was just dumb.

To be fair he wasn't "Shoed in" as the hero if he were, he's more pushed out of the hero role because most of the arc is his training to unlock his full power. In the end every bit with the Old Kai etc. was just pointless filler.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Onmi posted:

To be fair he wasn't "Shoed in" as the hero if he were, he's more pushed out of the hero role because most of the arc is his training to unlock his full power. In the end every bit with the Old Kai etc. was just pointless filler.

Well I mean it was basically, "remember cell? Lets do that again."

No, no lets not. I would prefer Gotenks to that again.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean it was basically, "remember cell? Lets do that again."

No, no lets not. I would prefer Gotenks to that again.

Gotenks also reeked of wasted time. All that fusion training, the Super Saiyan 3, it pretty much amounted to another Buu power up.

Now granted, this is not the first time they did this. In Dragonball Tenshinhan trained hard for King Piccolo and got completely schooled by Drum.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I love the Buu saga precisely because it is such a chaotic mess of everyone pulling new fusions and transformations and TRUE POTENTIAL out of their asses.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Goku was basically a power-up merchant. Nothing he did was to actively beat Buu, just to throw in the next power-up like Fusion, Potora, helping with the Z Sword, etc until everyone else was dead.

Gotenks or Gohan beating Kid Buu would've been progressive because that is literally Goku's desire, is for the new generation to be able to protect the universe without him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Onmi posted:

Gotenks also reeked of wasted time. All that fusion training, the Super Saiyan 3, it pretty much amounted to another Buu power up.

Now granted, this is not the first time they did this. In Dragonball Tenshinhan trained hard for King Piccolo and got completely schooled by Drum.

I actually like that.

The heroes have plans they all fail, ending with the the first ever failure coming back to save the day.

It works man.

Hell every Dragon ball arc has several plans that fail hard, there are very few plans that actually work and its usually the heroes pulling poo poo out of their asses so complaining about Buu saga doing it seems weird.

Plus the heroes who actually win it are Hercule and Vegeta.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Plus it all continues into Battle of Gods, where Toriyama goes "No seriously you guys, I wasn't making GBS threads you about fusions and transformations not being that great".

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

But Vegetto was the bestest ever.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

VanSandman posted:

Vegeta would approve of Videl due to her work ethic. He'd probably get her to make Gohan train more somehow.

Vegeta would have Videl fighting at like Yamcha/Krillen level in like maybe 5 weeks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pureauthor posted:

But Vegetto was the bestest ever.

He was a permanent solution to a temporary problem, as cool as he was.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dexo posted:

Vegeta would have Videl fighting at like Yamcha/Krillen level in like maybe 5 weeks.

You mean Yamcha/Tien level.

Krillin is strongest (human) there is!

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 9, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Uh I'll have you know that Master Roshi is the strongest. Did Krillin ever fire a Kamehameha that could blow up a mountain?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, if Vegeta becomes a Super Saiyan God in Revival of F, I can't help but wonder what Akira Toriyama will do to accommodate for the ending of DBZ. I mean, at the end Goku goes to train with Uub, and due to Battle of the Gods, he's now WAY stronger than Kid Buu was. If Vegeta reaches that level too, I can't help but wonder why he wouldn't just train with Vegeta instead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

i think at this point the ending to Z is done. There ain't no going back to that.

Which is fine because it sucked.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which is fine because it sucked.
Toriyama will later admit he doesn't remember the ending while eating a salad made entirely out of money.

Then six months he will say it was all a dream of a dying Buu.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Just wait until you see Uub + 4 months of training.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know, if Vegeta becomes a Super Saiyan God in Revival of F, I can't help but wonder what Akira Toriyama will do to accommodate for the ending of DBZ. I mean, at the end Goku goes to train with Uub, and due to Battle of the Gods, he's now WAY stronger than Kid Buu was. If Vegeta reaches that level too, I can't help but wonder why he wouldn't just train with Vegeta instead.

Honestly don't care about the continuity all that much. Just make good/interesting/funny stories in the DBZ universe and I'm 100% down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

If Freeza could become super strong with training, imagine how much more powerful Kid Buu could become!!!

• Locked thread