Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Intruder posted:

So maybe it's time to entertain the notion that Russ is better than Harden :smith:

it has always been this way and it always will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Intruder posted:

So maybe it's time to entertain the notion that Russ is better than Harden :smith:

The Red Rowdies have been dispatched to your home to re-educate you. Winning is more important than fun, stats will solve basketball, hail Morey.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spoeank posted:

There are 10 seconds left when he shoots.

http://www.nba.com/warriors/video/games/warriors/2015/03/08/0021400932-lac-gsw-play5.nba/

Watch it for Kerr's reaction.

Spencer Hawes looks like a weirdo wearing pajamas and a Kabuki hairstyle.

Lockback posted:

I am very comfortable calling Curry a better shooter than either Bird or Allen. For their time, both were incredible but neither were able to do what Curry can do.

He is in the midst of the best shooting season for a PG ever. He's probably going to displace 1995 Dana Barros.

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Teams were way better at defending the 3 in the 80s when Bird was playing.

Who's the best relative to era?

2013 Stephen Curry. Average 3P% hasn't changed that much over the last 25 years so the basic 3 * 3P - 3PA formula holds true.

You can adjust for league average by using (3 * 3P - 3 * Lg3P% * 3PA) but it doesn't change anything drastically because the only time Lg3P% was significantly lower (early to mid-80s) no one was taking a lot of 3PAs.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 9, 2015

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

chunkles posted:

I know very little about pre 00s NBA but I've spent a fair amount of time watching Pistol Pete highlights on youtube and it's a good idea if you have 10-20 minutes to kill. Some seriously great showboating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qv0YS1wHoQ

He was amazing, Pistol Pete is one of my absolute favorite players.

I love that you can see him do a Dream Shake type spin/ball fake/shot. In black and white, like what, 25 years before Hakeem played. He'd be Steph Curry but taller and faster if he played today.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So Draymond locked down DeAndre today?

And they wanna give DeAndre DPOTY??

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

chunkles posted:

The Red Rowdies have been dispatched to your home to re-educate you. Winning is more important than fun, stats will solve basketball, hail Morey.

Clutchfans is super, super entertaining re: Russell Westbrook right now. They are so mad at how well he's playing lol

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Not sure that DeAndre Jordan's lack of offense, especially with Griffin out, is a good argument for a Green DPOY, but then again only reason I'd disagree with a Green DPOY is because it's something Mark Jackson will try to take credit for.

Benny goes viral:
https://i.imgur.com/GIVQ6zq.webm

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bonus Maravich story, from college days.

"some old story under the Cox News banner posted:

"LSU had the ball and the lead and Pete decided he was going to go into his Marques Haynes/Globetrotter routine," said [Herb] White. "We were trying to steal the ball or foul him. He was dribbling all around, between his legs, behind his back and the place was just going nuts."

Moments later, Maravich's legend was authenticated.

"Like with five seconds to go, he just turned around and started dribbling toward halfcourt, toward their bench," White recalled. "He gets almost to the timeline, with his back to the basket, and he lets go of a hook shot. It goes way up in the air and just as the clock runs out – boom – he knocks the bottom out."

It's absolutely insane that Maravich did everything he did while living with an unknown heart defect; he was missing the left coronary artery.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

E2M2 posted:

Are they deciding season long awards off one game now?

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Intruder posted:

This has never not been the case so yeah

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

When he was healthy for LSU and the NOLA Jazz, this was completely true. I would need to look it up again, but someone charted all of his college shots and he would have averaged like 50 points a game had the 3pt line existed.

The problem with this is that if the three point shot existed he would probably have taken more of them.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Somebody in my fantasy league made an offhand comment about DeMar DeRozan being basically a slightly smaller version of Corey Maggette and it's an incredibly apt comparison.

Athletic, midrange-heavy, only real skill is getting to the line, meh defender, never learned how to shoot the three, not a playmaker. Maggette was a better rebounder, too. Empty points, will never take your team anywhere.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Mandrel posted:

This has never not been the case so yeah

I've been dreaming of the notion that Durant joins Harden on the Rockets, look like I picked the wrong Thunder player

chunkles posted:

Harden is fun as gently caress though, his ability to make the best players in the world look like helpless babies is amazing

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Mar 9, 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Going to the clippers wolves game tomorrow. Last time I went to a clippers game was pre-Donald Sterling out era. I actually saw him. I should have spit in his face!

ONwards and upwards.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

roundmidnight posted:

Somebody in my fantasy league made an offhand comment about DeMar DeRozan being basically a slightly smaller version of Corey Maggette and it's an incredibly apt comparison.

Athletic, midrange-heavy, only real skill is getting to the line, meh defender, never learned how to shoot the three, not a playmaker. Maggette was a better rebounder, too. Empty points, will never take your team anywhere.

This comparison has been made before and I am starting to agree with it more and more. Seeing the Raptors Sunday against the Trailblazers. Funny enough since that soul crushing defeat in OT at Portland they have not been the same. I am sure it will be fun.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Views about the Detroit loss to Charlotte: Detroit is really bad now. The small game long lead that unraveled in the 4th quarter was very 2008-2013 Detroit. Andre was abusing Bismack on Lobs but Bismack was scoring in the post on jump hooks. I think the 5th pick in the draft is definitely in reach. There aren't enough shooters to run the offense the way Stan prefers, but he made the moves. It's very strange.

I really enjoyed the post Smith team, I guess I have to go back to half watching games until next year and focus on the good teams. I'm sorry to post so much about this, but it's filling me with sorrow and frustration.

Other views: The Bucks have looked not very good with Michael Carter Williams. They're going to need to draft someone or sign someone this offseason. Maybe they think Kendall Marshall will be a good man (He's out for the season so we've had no chance to see how he fits). I understand that they didn't want to pay Brandon Knight, but they could have let him stick around for the playoffs. It's a shame, because this team had upset potential. They were so much fun, but now MCW gums up the offense like Rondo in Dallas and Reggie Jackson in Detroit. There is some anti fun basketball agenda in play.

This season was so much fun until the darn trade deadline. The playoffs should be fun I GUESS. Washington with a healthy Bradley Beal can steal games, 8th seed OKC should cause some trouble, the Clippers could lose in the first round, Maybe Houston and the Clippers could both lose in the first round. Chicago's predictable injury collapse means that the east is just waiting for Atlanta to beat Cleveland and beat Memphis or lose to Golden State.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 9, 2015

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Intruder posted:

Harden is fun as gently caress though, his ability to make the best players in the world look like helpless babies is amazing

Fun cannot be expressed through spreadsheets and is therefore irrelevant, I'm starting to doubt your Rockets fandom

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Saw this on Simmons' Twitter feed:

https://instagram.com/p/z-4-8qR37h/

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

IcePhoenix posted:

The problem with this is that if the three point shot existed he would probably have taken more of them.

so, like 70 then

----

I'm very afraid about the amount of turnovers and fast break points the Bucks will get off the Pels tonight. Preparing myself for a real ugly game.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

E2M2 posted:

I think I'm missing a joke here.

In any case, Bogut was guarding the one-dimensional offensive abilities of DeAndre Jordan, it was the 0.5-dimensional abilities of Spencer Hawes and Glen Davis that Draymond Green shut down.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

if i was heavier i could probably lock down deandre jordan. the warriors did a good job of boxing out though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

so, like 70 then

Sounds about right, yeah.

soggybagel posted:

Going to the clippers wolves game tomorrow. Last time I went to a clippers game was pre-Donald Sterling out era.

So...less than a year ago :confused: I haven't been to a Wolves game in like three years and I live less than 30 minutes from Target Center.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Ross posted:

Pistol Pete reportedly just jacked up shots from 40 feet and cashed them all game even though they were worth only 2 points, he gave no fucks.

I'd be curious to what extent this was true and to what extent it's old people telling stories from times with not much video footage :colbert: .

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

attackmole posted:

I'd be curious to what extent this was true and to what extent it's old people telling stories from times with not much video footage :colbert: .

I have this thought about every athlete in every sport from before video with the exception of Wilt. It always ends up at least mostly true with Wilt.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Igor Strelkov posted:

Views about the Detroit loss to Charlotte: Detroit is really bad now. The small game long lead that unraveled in the 4th quarter was very 2008-2013 Detroit. Andre was abusing Bismack on Lobs but Bismack was scoring in the post on jump hooks. I think the 5th pick in the draft is definitely in reach. There aren't enough shooters to run the offense the way Stan prefers, but he made the moves. It's very strange.

I really enjoyed the post Smith team, I guess I have to go back to half watching games until next year and focus on the good teams. I'm sorry to post so much about this, but it's filling me with sorrow and frustration.

Only like Pop and Riley have ever seemed to do well as both coach/GM (although it's still early to judge SVG).

That said although it's not quite as fun and playoffs are more and more out of reach, I've been thinking all year I'd prefer them get another pick than get bounced in the first round. Also I think most everyone thought the Jackson trade was a good deal-everyone thought he had a lot of upside (although I seem to recall making Stuckey comparisons w/r/t only having one playoff series really making a name for himself) so it's more like a good idea that didn't work, rather than something just ridiculously stupid.

I'm wondering if they'll bother bringing back Monroe. He's been way better this year, but he's also like the exact type of player that usually ends up getting overpaid and not producing up to his contract. If he was a better rebounder I could see him ending up like Boozer which wouldn't be horrible, but he's most likely not gonna develop much more.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Time posted:

I have this thought about every athlete in every sport from before video with the exception of Wilt. It always ends up at least mostly true with Wilt.

That's true with most everything, but I mean even in that clip package you see him busting out shots that maybe aren't 40', but well over regular 3pt line distance.

Also did they really let him play with "Pistol" on the back of his jersey? That's incredibly cool if so.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Time posted:

Same, except I use Wilt as the prime example of the phenomenon.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Honestly I feel like the Bucks are having more problems due to Dudley being absolutely atrocious after the break than MCW issues. Mayo being injured doesn't help either.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

E2M2 posted:

do you not know what the d stands for or is this just a not very funny joke attempt

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

E2M2 posted:

I'm a dubs homer as well, but this is a dumb point. Either dude would be a fitting winner of DPOY.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
DPOTY is annoying to argue about because you're comparing players across positions.

Even All-Defense teams are hard to figure out because do you give it to good defenders on not so good defensive teams? Like DeAndre, Drummond, Gobert, Wall, Paul, or Noel?

Or do you give it to good team defenders on good defensive teams? Like Green, Bogut, Iggy, Giannis, Duncan, Kawhi, Hibbert, Aldridge, Millsap, Allen, or Marc Gasol, etc?

I prefer to argue for the latter, but still its hard to decide who to credit for team defense. For example Portland has the 3rd best defense in the league (and it would be 2nd if the Bucks weren't in such an easy conference), but who do you pick to put on the 1st or 2nd all defense team? Personally, I would go with Aldridge just because Matthews went down.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Hornets fans are agitating for Michael Kidd-Gilchrist as DPOY, which is cute.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Even All-Defense teams are hard to figure out because do you give it to good defenders on not so good defensive teams? Like DeAndre, Drummond, Gobert, Wall, Paul, or Noel?

Utah with Gobert in the lineup has been the best defensive team in the league, at least since they dumped Kanter. No one can score inside against the Favors/Gobert front line.

The dude who makes the single biggest positive defensive impact is Gobert and it's not really all that close. Only issue is that he hasn't played that many minutes relatively speaking.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
^^ The second biggest individual impact is Nerlens Noel and nobody's gonna vote for him yet

Also for whatever reason there is an unspoken law against giving it to clearly the best in the game, LeBron James.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

Also for whatever reason there is an unspoken law against giving it to clearly the best individual defender in the game, LeBron James.

He really hasn't been this year. I mean he still can be something close to that when he really turns it up (I don't know that I'd agree best individual defender because I think there a lot of big guys who make a bigger defensive impact, but he's right up there in terms of guys on the perimiter), but he's spent large chunks of the last few seasons coasting on defense.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

The dude who makes the single biggest positive defensive impact is Gobert and it's not really all that close. Only issue is that he hasn't played that many minutes relatively speaking.

Curious how you're coming to that conclusion.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

morestuff posted:

defensive box score plus minus (the stat Gobert leads the league in) is the easiest way to define it, but there's also watching--he's insanely good at rim protection.

MourningView posted:

He really hasn't been this year. I mean he still can be something close to that when he really turns it up (I don't know that I'd agree best individual defender because I think there a lot of big guys who make a bigger defensive impact, but he's right up there in terms of guys on the perimiter), but he's spent large chunks of the last few seasons coasting on defense.

I edited it to say straight up the best because I couldn't tell what I was saying, but you're right. It does look like something he turns off and on and he hasn't turned it on so much this season, Cavs are still messy a lot of the time.

But drat when he does he starts to own both sides of the court, handlers shrink in fear and throw the ball out of bounds to save themselves when he brings help defense.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

I think the single most important aspect of team defense is being able to protect the rim (because that's still the easiest place in the league to generate points) and he's held opponents to a lower FG% around the basket than anyone else in the league and has one of the highest block rates (two things that don't necessarily always go hand and hand, see Anthony Davis). He also deters a lot of drives just by being out there. He leads the leauge in defensive +/-, and the Jazz have had the best defense in the league by a pretty wide margin since he started getting the bulk of the minutes at center in the second half of the season, and we're talking about a team that was the worst defense in the league last year (when he barely played). The Favors/Gobert lineups have been crazy stingy.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 9, 2015

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

MourningView posted:

Utah with Gobert in the lineup has been the best defensive team in the league, at least since they dumped Kanter. No one can score inside against the Favors/Gobert front line.

It's been like 10 games. And while Utah has been impressive in those 10 games, this is also the part of the season where bad teams sometimes ruin their draft position by putting it together and surprising some good teams who expected an easy win.

But if Gobert keeps up his performance he should be in the running next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

It's been like 10 games. And while Utah has been impressive in those 10 games, this is also the part of the season where bad teams sometimes ruin their draft position by putting it together and surprising some good teams who expected an easy win.

But if Gobert keeps up his performance he should be in the running next year.

Gobert individually, and lineups with him in them, have been good on the year as a whole, not just 10 games. They're just playing those lineups a lot more recently. He's been an excellent rim protector from more or less the moment he got to the league, he just had a hard time getting on the court last year, partially because he needed time to adjust (he was close to unplayable offensively last year and had issues with fouling), and partially because Ty Corbin is a tremendous dummy and bad head coach who couldn't figure out that the defense would probably be a lot better if they subbed in the dude who can nearly touch the basket standing flat footed.

And man trying to pretend that wins against good teams are somehow LESS impressive is a weird thing. It's admittedly not a big sample, but I don't really see any reason that good teams in the west playing for playoff seeding would just decide not to try.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Mar 9, 2015

• Locked thread